• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Furret24

Smash Master
Is Pichu the most popular? I always knew he was involved, but I always thought Squirtle/Sceptile were more popular choices. I agree on Ivysaur, although I'll never truly be behind him 'cause of the four-legged thing (I know it's stupid lol). If a grass Pokemon could come in and steal that move set though, I'd be down (vote for Bellsprout!)
Pichu's Top 20 in Japan I believe. Sceptile is up there too.
:gawmelee:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Hm... I started playing Rosalina lately, and I actually kinda like her. Her playstyle is fun (at least, in the way I'm playing her now, which actually isn't netting me the best win/loss ratio but feels nice atm), and she's not as annoying as I thought she was. Heh, she was only annoying to play AGAINST, not as ^^'. But yeah, honestly she's actually what I sorta wanted the ICs to be more like. I like how you can control her, and control Luma, in totally different locations. Sure, Luma doesn't recover and that's totally annoying, but aside from that, you can totally pull off a chain of attacks by knocking your enemy towards your Luma, or from your Luma to you. I think that's just great. That's something I've ALWAYS wanted to do with the ICs, but they've honestly always been too close together to do it. Plus, y'know, chaingrabs were the solution to that. But dang. Rosalina's the closest thing we have to Snake, in a way. Hahaha. Well okay, MAYBE Villager and Bowser Jr, but they just don't have the same flow to me.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I like all cut veterans! With the exception of Young Link--I despise him with a passion. If anyone wants him back, I'll harshly question why. Pichu is a good challenge fighter--when you're just sick and tired of winning all the time so easily with Fox, Ike, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Link, or Charizard--you can choose Pichu and use his adorableness to take down your opponent! He's a good "mix things up" kinda guy although I have a hard time winning with Pikachu as it is.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I like all cut veterans! With the exception of Young Link--I despise him with a passion. If anyone wants him back, I'll harshly question why. Pichu is a good challenge fighter--when you're just sick and tired of winning all the time so easily with Fox, Ike, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Link, or Charizard--you can choose Pichu and use his adorableness to take down your opponent! He's a good "mix things up" kinda guy although I have a hard time winning with Pikachu as it is.
Do we really need 'challenge' characters any more though? It was fine back in Melee with a relatively small roster, but in Smash 4 with 50+, do we really need to have characters that are bad for no reason? Chances are you are going to have trouble playing with at least a 1/3 of the roster anyway, so just pick one of the characters you rarely play. Pichu just seems so wasteful to me, like I get all fighting games have characters that are intentionally bad, but what's the point? It's a tradition I'd rather have die, personally.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Do we really need 'challenge' characters any more though? It was fine back in Melee with a relatively small roster, but in Smash 4 with 50+, do we really need to have characters that are bad for no reason? Chances are you are going to have trouble playing with at least a 1/3 of the roster anyway, so just pick one of the characters you rarely play. Pichu just seems so wasteful to me, like I get all fighting games have characters that are intentionally bad, but what's the point? It's a tradition I'd rather have die, personally.
It's weird how you say the bigger the roster, the more carefully characters should be chosen, shouldn't it be the other way around? I just want adorable Pichu, man, is that too much to ask?
"When it takes up precious DLC time, yes" ..... Fair enough.
I just realized that the reason Veterans have been released as DLC most of all is because Sakurai focused on newer original characters for the base game. If Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo were focused on for the base game, we'd have Mega Man, Villager, and Little Mac as DLC. While it could be argued that those Veterans were possibly "cut from the game to give the players the incentive to spend more money" switching them out with those 3 would be a similar situation--Sakurai favored newcomers in the base game than cut vets and in the long run, it's more understanding.

Furret24

Smash Master
Who's saying Pichu has to bad in 4? Just buff him like they did to Roy.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
It's weird how you say the bigger the roster, the more carefully characters should be chosen, shouldn't it be the other way around? I just want adorable Pichu, man, is that too much to ask?
"When it takes up precious DLC time, yes" ..... Fair enough.
I just realized that the reason Veterans have been released as DLC most of all is because Sakurai focused on newer original characters for the base game. If Roy, Lucas, and Mewtwo were focused on for the base game, we'd have Mega Man, Villager, and Little Mac as DLC. While it could be argued that those Veterans were possibly "cut from the game to give the players the incentive to spend more money" switching them out with those 3 would be a similar situation--Sakurai favored newcomers in the base game than cut vets and in the long run, it's more understanding.
I bring up the size of the roster solely because if you're looking for a challenge, there are a lot of characters to look through so they can be found. Peach, Ryu, Pikachu, are all really challenging characters to play at a high level, maybe go with them.
Personally, I think characters like Pichu, Young Link, and other badly made clones were excusable back in Melee times because there was very small development time, and a very small roster, so roster padding made sense, but now there's no need, and we should really be focusing on getting new, unique characters as time goes on. That's not to say efforts can't be made to make a character like Pichu unique, but seeing that Sakurai actually tries to represent Pokemon with moves from their games, I don't exactly see the point.
I want characters that bring something to the table. IC's do that, Inklings can, if they change his specials Wolf can too. I can think of so many unique playstyles that will never be represented, because we're so focused on bringing back/in boring characters that have so little to offer.
Who's saying Pichu has to bad in 4? Just buff him like they did to Roy.
What would you buff? The reason a lot of people like Pichu, is because Pichu is so disrespectful because he's so bad. Taking that away takes away the central point to the character. Not only that, but being somewhat self-destructive is kind of it's thing; Sakurai seems pretty loyal to Pokemon gimmicks, and I don't see that changing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
If I'm to suggest any Pokemon; I'd say Zoroark, Sceptile, and Genesect would all be great choices. I don't see why we have to be hung up on Pichu for.

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I bring up the size of the roster solely because if you're looking for a challenge, there are a lot of characters to look through so they can be found. Peach, Ryu, Pikachu, are all really challenging characters to play at a high level, maybe go with them.
Personally, I think characters like Pichu, Young Link, and other badly made clones were excusable back in Melee times because there was very small development time, and a very small roster, so roster padding made sense, but now there's no need, and we should really be focusing on getting new, unique characters as time goes on. That's not to say efforts can't be made to make a character like Pichu unique, but seeing that Sakurai actually tries to represent Pokemon with moves from their games, I don't exactly see the point.
I want characters that bring something to the table. IC's do that, Inklings can, if they change his specials Wolf can too. I can think of so many unique playstyles that will never be represented, because we're so focused on bringing back/in boring characters that have so little to offer.

What would you buff? The reason a lot of people like Pichu, is because Pichu is so disrespectful because he's so bad. Taking that away takes away the central point to the character. Not only that, but being somewhat self-destructive is kind of it's thing; Sakurai seems pretty loyal to Pokemon gimmicks, and I don't see that changing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
If I'm to suggest any Pokemon; I'd say Zoroark, Sceptile, and Genesect would all be great choices. I don't see why we have to be hung up on Pichu for.
I want you to find a picture of Pichu crying and tell all of what you just said to his FACE. Lol, but in all seriousness Pichu is one of those characters I would love to see, but I don't think will be added--and honestly if wasn't already in Melee, I wouldn't care for him. That's a weird thing with me about cut vets. Ice Climbers is a good example of a character I had no idea even existed and their inclusion in Melee led to my desire to see them in 4. Also, I believe they were in the same ballpark as Game & Watch, R.O.B, and Duck Hunt representing--oh what was it--the NES?

Furret24

Smash Master

Most Pichu mains actually really want him to be better. He can be halfway decent and disrespectful at the same time.

Zoroark and Genesect are already in the game. Sceptile is a decent choice, but I feel bringing back Ivysaur would be a better option.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I want you to find a picture of Pichu crying and tell all of what you just said to his FACE. Lol, but in all seriousness Pichu is one of those characters I would love to see, but I don't think will be added--and honestly if wasn't already in Melee, I wouldn't care for him. That's a weird thing with me about cut vets. Ice Climbers is a good example of a character I had no idea even existed and their inclusion in Melee led to my desire to see them in 4. Also, I believe they were in the same ballpark as Game & Watch, R.O.B, and Duck Hunt representing--oh what was it--the NES?
That picture would get no sympathy from me:4myfriends:

A character being a vet does do weird things to people. I was thinking the other day on how popular the IC's would be had they never been included at all. They might actually have some popularity, there's a large group of people who love retro characters after all, and hammer wielders a few and far between, so they/he/her may have had some kind of chance (maybe Lip-type popularity); but I think it's safe to say they wouldn't be anywhere even close to as beloved as they are now. I sure know I wouldn't give two ****s about them. Snake too, I remember pre-Brawl reveal no one wanted anything to do with a character like that, now some people can't live without them. It's weird how we work.

Furret24 Furret24 I've heard mixed things. Some actually like the character and want him to be good, some think it's the perfect troll character, and some just want him because "HE'S ADORABLE!!", but I never found any real consensus.

As for the Zoroark/Genesect thing, I'd be fine with them getting promoted is all I'm saying. I'm still kind of surprised Zoroark didn't make it this time around.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
That picture would get no sympathy from me:4myfriends:

A character being a vet does do weird things to people. I was thinking the other day on how popular the IC's would be had they never been included at all. They might actually have some popularity, there's a large group of people who love retro characters after all, and hammer wielders a few and far between, so they/he/her may have had some kind of chance (maybe Lip-type popularity); but I think it's safe to say they wouldn't be anywhere even close to as beloved as they are now. I sure know I wouldn't give two ****s about them. Snake too, I remember pre-Brawl reveal no one wanted anything to do with a character like that, now some people can't live without them. It's weird how we work.

Furret24 Furret24 I've heard mixed things. Some actually like the character and want him to be good, some think it's the perfect troll character, and some just want him because "HE'S ADORABLE!!", but I never found any real consensus.

As for the Zoroark/Genesect thing, I'd be fine with them getting promoted is all I'm saying. I'm still kind of surprised Zoroark didn't make it this time around.

I found this on the Steven Universe wiki of all places.

I'd imagine the Ice Climbers would have about as much as G&W and ROB would if they hadn't been added before (which is "virtually nonexistent").

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
One thing I notice is that Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja all have this "lone wolf" look to their expressions--Zoroak would add a 4th to that. Pretty stupid complaint, I know--but in a weird way, it bothers me

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993

I found this on the Steven Universe wiki of all places.

I'd imagine the Ice Climbers would have about as much as G&W and ROB would if they hadn't been added before (which is "virtually nonexistent").
Yeah, most likely they'd have some small niche fan base, but I don't know. I mean Isaac has a huge fan base and he's a one-time protagonist from a fairly niche series that doesn't even have the benefit of being called retro, so really who knows? I think what's more interesting is that, no one would be asking for the IC's duo. Sakurai made that up, and Diddy&Dixie would've probably taken that role if he passed on the IC's the first time. So how would they turn out if this was their first chance? I think it's interesting to think about.

One thing I notice is that Mewtwo, Lucario, and Greninja all have this "lone wolf" look to their expressions--Zoroak would add a 4th to that. Pretty stupid complaint, I know--but in a weird way, it bothers me
I can't judge, I got that whole four-legged hate thing. We all have our ways. Although, getting rid of Lucario wouldn't be the worst thing....

Last edited:

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Yeah, most likely they'd have some small niche fan base, but I don't know. I mean Isaac has a huge fan base and he's a one-time protagonist from a fairly niche series that doesn't even have the benefit of being called retro, so really who knows? I think what's more interesting is that, no one would be asking for the IC's duo. Sakurai made that up, and Diddy&Dixie would've probably taken that role if he passed on the IC's the first time. So how would they turn out if this was their first chance? I think it's interesting to think about.

I can't judge, I got that whole four-legged hate thing. We all have our ways. Although, getting rid of Lucario wouldn't be the worst thing....
Psh, getting rid of Lucario. If you were Furret24 Furret24 , I'd tell you to get out. But anyways, which theory do you guys go for regarding the slots--ALL Ballot reserved or SOME Ballot reserved?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Psh, getting rid of Lucario. If you were Furret24 Furret24 , I'd tell you to get out. But anyways, which theory do you guys go for regarding the slots--ALL Ballot reserved or SOME Ballot reserved?
Would you mind clarifying what you mean? I'm confused.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Never said you didn't
Well...I understand, just..."No taste"? Excuse me if I like adorable characters like Pichu who give me a challenge to look forward to. That being said...

It's so weird, but somehow I feel more challenged when I play as Pichu in SSBM. It gives me something to look forward to, rather than winning all the time with my mains, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings, Kirby, and Duck Hunt. Also, I'm just one of those people who want to see all cut vets return. Pichu may damage himself, and have bad range. None of that can be denied, but once you DO KO someone...Oh, it is SO satisfying.:smirk: Matter of fact, you all might want to see this: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/24/meleepichusite/

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Would you mind clarifying what you mean? I'm confused.
Well I believe it's possible that the two slots found in April that were never claimed could belong to pre-ballot characters and that the third slot is the beginning of Ballot characters. However, the less optimistic but more realistic belief is the one involving all three coming from the ballot. Which one do you think is happening?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well I believe it's possible that the two slots found in April that were never claimed could belong to pre-ballot characters and that the third slot is the beginning of Ballot characters. However, the less optimistic but more realistic belief is the one involving all three coming from the ballot. Which one do you think is happening?
I think all three are for pre-ballot characters, and the ballot characters haven't even started production yet. I feel that, whoever is the 3rd choice, the team got approval on them later on, which is why they weren't there for the first data mining session. This theory makes me optimistic that whoever they are, they're NOT a Nintendo IP. *Crossing my fingers for Rayman/Bomberman

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
I think all three are for pre-ballot characters, and the ballot characters haven't even started production yet. I feel that, whoever is the 3rd choice, the team got approval on them later on, which is why they weren't there for the first data mining session. This theory makes me optimistic that whoever they are, they're NOT a Nintendo IP. *Crossing my fingers for Rayman/Bomberman
oooh, I must say--that's rather optimistic. Here's hoping for much DLC! I know, I know "Only several more characters" but here's hoping

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I feel the exact same way.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
oooh, I must say--that's rather optimistic. Here's hoping for much DLC! I know, I know "Only several more characters" but here's hoping
I think it's fairly "safe" to expect another 6-ish characters, and some stages. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
ZOMG guys there's been information about the Shovel Knight and Chibi-Robo amiibo! They're listed under Nintendo's website to have Smash Wii U compatibility! This totally has everything to do with the Fighter Ballot and this is definitely something to get hyped about! Obviously this was all pre-planned where Nintendo decided to take extremely early votes and have upcoming games include amiibo support which is an indicator of future Smash content!

Yeah, this information drought needs to end. If there's nothing coming soon, simply tell us that no characters will be announced any time soon.
You guys wanna Smash it up?
When?

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I don't want Sceptile etc. to get in... the only Pokémon that I think should be added before smash 5 are the veterans and Pachirisu* (and Zoroark at a stretch and obviously Furret), and we have too many lanky-mons in the roster to warrant seeing Sceptile. I think the Pokémon roster is inflated as is, and seeing a load of them that are similar to existing ones getting into the roster would just feel like wasted resources.

*I made a post on this AGES ago if you're interested. My post on it is linked below:
http://smashboards.com/threads/brea...er-new-ownership.324176/page-66#post-19322823

Top Bottom