• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
How can anyone dislike the double dash mechanics? It actually boggles my mind .-.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Double Dash is my favorite Mario Kart. I'm really not a big Mario Kart fan. The only games I could ever really get into were DD and DS. MK8 is okay, but I got bored of it very quickly. Felt too much like 7, mechanically.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So I decided to go back and play some Brawl, because I got in an argument with some guy who claimed Wolf was a clone. I quickly proved that Wolf only shares 1 or 2 attacks with Fox/Falco, and decided to spend some time messing around with the IC's, man I miss them. While playing, I realized that their dair works very differently to how it did in Melee, which got me thinking if they DID return what else would I want/not want to be changed.

Now for me, I prefer Melee's dair. It was an attack that was really easy to cancel out of and combo with whereas Brawl's version just quickly plummets to the ground and cancels momentum. I guess both have their benefits, but I really like versatility in my attacks. I can't really think of any other attacks I'd want changed though. Their moveset is nearly perfect to me.

Sorry for the weird ramble, just a couple thoughts I had. What does everyone else think? If the option to bring back the IC's unchanged were on the table, would you do it or would you change/tweak a few things?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Definitely tweak or completely change their specials so that people actually use them (except recovery because every character uses that a lot) but other than that I've got no real complaints about their move set/play style.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So I decided to go back and play some Brawl, because I got in an argument with some guy who claimed Wolf was a clone. I quickly proved that Wolf only shares 1 or 2 attacks with Fox/Falco, and decided to spend some time messing around with the IC's, man I miss them. While playing, I realized that their dair works very differently to how it did in Melee, which got me thinking if they DID return what else would I want/not want to be changed.

Now for me, I prefer Melee's dair. It was an attack that was really easy to cancel out of and combo with whereas Brawl's version just quickly plummets to the ground and cancels momentum. I guess both have their benefits, but I really like versatility in my attacks. I can't really think of any other attacks I'd want changed though. Their moveset is nearly perfect to me.

Sorry for the weird ramble, just a couple thoughts I had. What does everyone else think? If the option to bring back the IC's unchanged were on the table, would you do it or would you change/tweak a few things?
Meh, I'd say simply revert them back to their Melee playstyle. I don't know. I, personally, could just handle them SO much better in Melee than Brawl. So well, in fact, they ended up being my mains for Melee as a result. I was...OK with them in Brawl, but not as stellar as Melee. In the end though, whether they went back to how they were in Melee, or kept their Brawl playstyle...I just want my cute lil' Climbers back...:crying:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Meh, I'd say simply revert them back to their Melee playstyle. I don't know. I, personally, could just handle them SO much better in Melee than Brawl. So well, in fact, they ended up being my mains for Melee as a result. I was...OK with them in Brawl, but not as stellar as Melee. In the end though, whether they went back to how they were in Melee, or kept their Brawl playstyle...I just want my cute lil' Climbers back...:crying:
I definitely prefer Melee's ICs over Brawl's. They just seem so...fluid. I'll take whatever though, I just want them back. I'm kind of optimistic too, seeing that we haven't gotten any Mii outfits or other death wishes, idk maybe Sakurai IS cooking something up after all.

Furret24

Smash Master

Did you ever notice that a lot Down Air's got turned into Stall-Then-Falls in Brawl?
It happened for G&W, Ice Climbers, Young Link, and a few others.

Personally, I prefer the old ones, since spiking with them is easier and they're more reliable. Interestingly, attempting to fast-fall some of them causes them to slow-fall them. G&W's is an example of that in Brawl, though it was removed in 4 (one of his nerfs I was okay with).
:gawmelee:

Last edited:

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Stall-then-falls are actually awful. The only one with any consistent competitive use is Kirby's down special (allows you to get low after a diagonal launch so you can sweetspot the ledge, breaks shields etc.), and I wish that they'd just ditched them when making SSB4.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Stall-then-falls are actually awful. The only one with any consistent competitive use is Kirby's down special (allows you to get low after a diagonal launch so you can sweetspot the ledge, breaks shields etc.), and I wish that they'd just ditched them when making SSB4.
G&W's is decent as far as they go. It's good offstage.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Sonic's Dair is great for recovery mix-ups and as a combo finisher in Project M. In that game, Wario's Dair is also very useful. I don't mind stall-then-falls as a concept. It's just that most of them have been poorly implemented thus far.

That being said, I wouldn't mind the reinstating of Melee's Dair for Ice Climbers. I'd probably make a few other changes to their moveset as well.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I definitely prefer Melee's ICs over Brawl's. They just seem so...fluid. I'll take whatever though, I just want them back. I'm kind of optimistic too, seeing that we haven't gotten any Mii outfits or other death wishes, idk maybe Sakurai IS cooking something up after all.
EXACTLY! That's the word I've been looking for to describe them in Melee! I don't hate them in Brawl, but they felt kind of...stiff?

Furret24

Smash Master
EXACTLY! That's the word I've been looking for to describe them in Melee! I don't hate them in Brawl, but they felt kind of...stiff?
TBH, most (all) of the characters in Brawl get stiff. The only character that didn't feel stiff was :gw:, but he doesn't really count here, since he wasn't designed like the other characters.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
As @Furrret24 said they all feel stiff lol. I mained the IC's because of their chain grabs in Brawl. Best feeling characters for me were Sonic and Game and Watch easily. I was never good with Meta Knight.

TBH, most (all) of the characters in Brawl get stiff. The only character that didn't feel stiff was :gw:, but he doesn't really count here, since he wasn't designed like the other characters.
Mr. Game and Watch is just one of those characters that feels great in every game. I really enjoy his playstyle. I really wish his Fsmash was more like it was in Brawl. I really wish his neutral b had less end lag to allow for more setups.

Furret24

Smash Master
As @Furrret24 said they all feel stiff lol. I mained the IC's because of their chain grabs in Brawl. Best feeling characters for me were Sonic and Game and Watch easily. I was never good with Meta Knight.

Mr. Game and Watch is just one of those characters that feels great in every game. I really enjoy his playstyle. I really wish his Fsmash was more like it was in Brawl. I really wish his neutral b had less end lag to allow for more setups.
That's why I use him.

I do wish he didn't suck so much in 4 though. Maybe the next patch will fix that however.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
G&W's is decent as far as they go. It's good offstage.
Good point. U can actually recover after spiking someone with it, which u can't do for anyone else other than Greninja.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Furret24 Furret24 I see you keep placing the :gawmelee: symbol after each of your posts, like a signature. You do know that you can edit your signature to make it so that you don't have to continually waste time doing that after every post so that the :gawmelee: symbol appears after some of your posts, correct? If not, hover over your username at the top and select "Signature" from the drop down menu. Then just insert the :gawmelee: symbol.

Furret24

Smash Master
Furret24 Furret24 I see you keep placing the :gawmelee: symbol after each of your posts, like a signature. You do know that you can edit your signature to make it so that you don't have to continually waste time doing that after every post so that the :gawmelee: symbol appears after some of your posts, correct? If not, hover over your username at the top and select "Signature" from the drop down menu. Then just insert the :gawmelee: symbol.
I know. It's a just a thing I like to do, much like other people (ex. FalKoopa).

Besides, my signature is already perfect.

Edit: Thought you guys might like this.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Nah. Sonic's is terrible because of that stupid angle. I'm also pretty sure he can't jump out of it (unlike G&W), making it a horrendously unreliable strategy.
It still spikes and a recent patch made it cancel as early as G&W's.

Last edited:

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I like how my top 6 most wanted DLC characters are actually the top 6 in these results, just in a different order.
Lucky. I was really hoping for Rayman to be more popular. I'm pretty satisfied with this top 10 though.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
Lucky. I was really hoping for Rayman to be more popular. I'm pretty satisfied with this top 10 though.
Personally, I hate the hell out of Rayman and want him nowhere near smash, surely there's someone in the top 10 you wanted? I wanted Shantae to be higher but she's over at 13, just missing top 10

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Personally, I hate the hell out of Rayman and want him nowhere near smash, surely there's someone in the top 10 you wanted? I wanted Shantae to be higher but she's over at 13, just missing top 10
I wanted all the characters in the top 10 outside of Snake. Rayman's my 2nd/3rd most want character though lol, but to each their own, I get he's not universally loved.

Furret24

Smash Master
Hey, Rayman's my 2nd most wanted character.

I guess we all have our differences though (I personally don't care for the Ice Climbers or Shovel Knight), so I really shouldn't complain

AnonymousMoon

Smash Lord
NNID
AnonynousMoon
3DS FC
0791-2743-3698
Furret24 Furret24 you don't like double dash and you don't care for Ice Climbers? Get out. Lol jk, but hey, for fun, in my signature, which do you guys think is more likely to happen? I put a tie between ce Climbers and the cut Pokemon

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Furret24 Furret24 you don't like double dash and you don't care for Ice Climbers? Get out. Lol jk, but hey, for fun, in my signature, which do you guys think is more likely to happen? I put a tie between ce Climbers and the cut Pokemon
I'm just going to do all the vets for fun.

-Wolf is easily the most likely. He has everything going for him, and if Sakurai doesn't want to make anymore "clones" he could just make him even more different then he already is. Seriously Wolf's specials are only kinda the same, if you change those, no issues.
-I actually don't see Snake as all that likely, like everyone else does. Konami firing Kojima really eliminates any chances he had left in my opinion, seeing that Sakurai only put him in Brawl for Kojima. Even if he was to return, it probably would've been planned for around the release of Phantom Pain, so I think Snake's ship has officially sailed. He feels less likely than the Ice Climbers to me, honestly.
-Not sure about Squirtle/Ivysaur, though I feel Ivysaur has an actual chance to complete the starter types. Not really all the big on either of them though. I love Ivy's kit, but really hate four-legged characters. I guess I'd put Squirtle around Snake's likeliness, because his type has been replaced with Greninja, so unless he gets a huge push, I just don't see him all that likely.
-I don't think Pichu/Young Link don't have a chance, at least I hope they don't. They bring nothing to the table. I know people hate this phrase, but they'd both be a waste of a slot, or more specifically a waste of development time, effort, and money.
-I was really down on the Ice Climber's chances for a long time, but I feel that there are creative solutions out there to make them work. Seeing that Sakurai obviously has a personal love for them, and that he's refused to take the easy way out on them, I feel like maybe something's in store for us.

So here we go.
1. Wolf
2. Ice Climbers/Ivysaur
4. Snake/Squirtle
6. Pichu/ Young Link

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
I'm just going to do all the vets for fun.

-Wolf is easily the most likely. He has everything going for him, and if Sakurai doesn't want to make anymore "clones" he could just make him even more different then he already is. Seriously Wolf's specials are only kinda the same, if you change those, no issues.
-I actually don't see Snake as all that likely, like everyone else does. Konami firing Kojima really eliminates any chances he had left in my opinion, seeing that Sakurai only put him in Brawl for Kojima. Even if he was to return, it probably would've been planned for around the release of Phantom Pain, so I think Snake's ship has officially sailed. He feels less likely than the Ice Climbers to me, honestly.
-Not sure about Squirtle/Ivysaur, though I feel Ivysaur has an actual chance to complete the starter types. Not really all the big on either of them though. I love Ivy's kit, but really hate four-legged characters. I guess I'd put Squirtle around Snake's likeliness, because his type has been replaced with Greninja, so unless he gets a huge push, I just don't see him all that likely.
-I don't think Pichu/Young Link don't have a chance, at least I hope they don't. They bring nothing to the table. I know people hate this phrase, but they'd both be a waste of a slot, or more specifically a waste of development time, effort, and money.
-I was really down on the Ice Climber's chances for a long time, but I feel that there are creative solutions out there to make them work. Seeing that Sakurai obviously has a personal love for them, and that he's refused to take the easy way out on them, I feel like maybe something's in store for us.

So here we go.
1. Wolf
2. Ice Climbers/Ivysaur
4. Snake/Squirtle
6. Pichu/ Young Link
I think Pichu is probably the most likely Poke Rep. He would be fairly easy to make and he's the most popular Pokemon for Smash DLC.

I'd personally love to see Pichu and Ivysaur get in (Not as much as Bandana Dee and Rayman though). Pichu could potentially be a good glass cannon and Ivysaur is among the most unique characters in Smash (especially in PM).

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I think Pichu is probably the most likely Poke Rep. He would be fairly easy to make and he's the most popular Pokemon for Smash DLC.

I'd personally love to see Pichu and Ivysaur get in (Not as much as Bandana Dee and Rayman though). Pichu could potentially be a good glass cannon and Ivysaur is among the most unique characters in Smash (especially in PM).
Is Pichu the most popular? I always knew he was involved, but I always thought Squirtle/Sceptile were more popular choices. I agree on Ivysaur, although I'll never truly be behind him 'cause of the four-legged thing (I know it's stupid lol). If a grass Pokemon could come in and steal that move set though, I'd be down (vote for Bellsprout!)

Top Bottom