• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl + the standard game

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiD

Smash Master
Both of these for me. I like and play Brawl+ because it's fast. Definitely faster than vBrawl, that's for sure. The combos and everything else is nice too, but I just wanted more fast paced fighting.

But when Project M is finished, I'm dropping Brawl+ like a brick. A Melee 2.0 is what I've been wanting ever since before Brawl+, so this will completely satisfy me. XD

Ah, and before the next "Just go play Melee", I can't play as Sonic in Melee. He's the only reason I got Brawl int he first place. I didn't even want the thing until he was announced. After all, Melee still has Captain Falcon. :3

I'd probably be missing Wolf, ZSS, Lucario, Ike, Dedede and Meta though. :<
Exactly, I hate when people say that if we want a game like Melee, we should just play Melee. Dumbest argument I've ever heard.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
ok so on topic i would like brawl+ at major tourneys.

now i personally like melee but i like brawl+ more and i feel many others do as well so i don't understand all of the comments about brawl+ dieing when project M comes out it makes no sense to me at all at the very wort people will play both of them.

SiD

Smash Master

now i personally like melee but i like brawl+ more and i feel many others do as well so i don't understand all of the comments about brawl+ dieing when project M comes out it makes no sense to me at all at the very wort people will play both of them.
Not necessarily, project M is still going to be similar to brawl +. You just might like it better.

Either way, it seems to me like there's enough people unhappy with regular Brawl that having a new standard isn't such a stretch.

Keith_Da_Thief

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping Alex strife or plaink or some TO names searches because i want to know how they feel of hosting a big brawl + only tourney. i think that is what would start a trend. In north Carolina we have brawl + tourneys and love them, i dont see why other states havent done it.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
There have been Brawl+ only tournies...

Chibo's Beyond the Limit 1 and 2 in Philadelphia is one of them.

Slashy

Smash Lord
I'm not interested in Project M, I'm sorry but I like Brawl+'s new moves. I would prefer a more Melee inspired experience to Brawl+, but if we're reclonifying characters (Falco Lombardi) and changing moves that don't need to be changed (Game and Watch)

Alphatron

Smash Champion
If people actually played Brawl+ then I would play it.

However, I live in SB, with people who play Brawl, Melee, and even 64, but it would take A LOT to make them take Brawl+ seriously. Metaknight isn't really the issue that is going to make them change. Theres no reason for them to practice Brawl+ if theres no tournament, and theres no tournament because no one pratices Brawl+
There's always online. Or you could do what I did and drag your friends into it one by one. Just lure them in with custom music and textures and the rest will take care of itself. At first, they may want to play vbrawl again. After some play time in brawl+, let them. They'll all come running back. ;)

And Project M isn't changing all the melee characters back to their melee iterations. Pikachu is keeping his QAC. Kirby isn't being given his supreme level of sucktitude(although some people seem to have liked melee Kirby more for some odd odd reason).

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
I got a quickie about online, does it lag far worse if it's cross country and stuff? I'm in Asia for now and I seem to have put myself in a Smash ghost town. So if there is little to no Brawl, what more for Brawl+ lol.

Project M would stink if they put ALL characters into old style, like Pichu D:

EDIT: I've kinda been thinking about Melee Sonic, if Fox is hella fast, what more is Sonic? XD

DiamondbodySharpshooter

Smash Journeyman
Or you could do what I did and drag your friends into it one by one. Just lure them in with custom music and textures and the rest will take care of itself.
How subtle of you. XD But yeah, this works. Alphatron and I have spread Brawl+ through a good amount of our friends, and now that we have a solid texture/music/stage pack, it's growing ever so steadily. All it takes is one person to see Captain America and everyone's happy with the fact that Bowser becomes Juggernaut by ducking and Yoshi's eggs don't act like they did in Yoshi's Story.

(Or conversely, they don't notice till it's too late.)

As for this Project M vs Brawl+ business, I liked Brawl in concept better than Melee until I started seeing the faults, and Brawl+ fixed that for me. Once Project M comes out, I think it'll be easier for people to see it as another codeset, and another game. I hope both continue to evolve and gain their own followings.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I have no opinion on Project M, not until I get to try it out.

If people actually played Brawl+ then I would play it.

However, I live in SB, with people who play Brawl, Melee, and even 64, but it would take A LOT to make them take Brawl+ seriously. Metaknight isn't really the issue that is going to make them change. Theres no reason for them to practice Brawl+ if theres no tournament, and theres no tournament because no one pratices Brawl+
If you want to get people in your area to play, take matters into your own hands. That's what I did. I started from scratch, bringing a B+ setup to every vBrawl tourney, getting more people to try it, holding little side-tourneys, and eventually it caught on. Now most of the MD/VA community will at least enter a side-event B+ tourney, at least a dozen will skip a vBrawl tourney for a B+ tourney, and several players quit vBrawl entirely because of B+. Success!

Exactly, I hate when people say that if we want a game like Melee, we should just play Melee. Dumbest argument I've ever heard.
Yeah it's pretty dumb. I like Melee and all, but I also like having 5 times as many viable characters to choose from.

It's already been at many major tourneys. It's a side event at Pound 4, Apex 1 and 2, HERB 3, LBT 1 and 2, Cataclysm 5 ... in fact it's more unusual now to have a major tourney without B+ on the side ... depending on region. B+ is still all but dead on the West Coast. Though it will be at an upcoming major tourney in WA.

I'm not interested in Project M, I'm sorry but I like Brawl+'s new moves. I would prefer a more Melee inspired experience to Brawl+, but if we're reclonifying characters (Falco Lombardi) and changing moves that don't need to be changed (Game and Watch)
I was a G&W main in Melee. I was excited about him being in Brawl until I found out they took out everything that made him fun to play and replaced it with gay. Sure he's a better character (mostly because he has a defense in Brawl) but his moveset is really stupid and boring. He's such a shallow character now. It makes me :mad:

Keith_Da_Thief

Smash Journeyman
I have no opinion on Project M, not until I get to try it out.

It's already been at many major tourneys. It's a side event at Pound 4, Apex 1 and 2, HERB 3, LBT 1 and 2, Cataclysm 5 ... in fact it's more unusual now to have a major tourney without B+ on the side ... depending on region. B+ is still all but dead on the West Coast. Though it will be at an upcoming major tourney in WA.

:
I would just rather have a big tourney to only cater to brawl +, and not have it has a side event

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
on a side note, is there going to be an actual poll or is this just a discussion about one?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
There have been several exclusive Brawl+ tourneys. Both of the Beyond the Limits and all the Hackfests. Both BtLs got around 30-40 and the Hackfests were getting 10-30 (lower due to competition with nearby vBrawl tourneys).

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Well I don't think trying to force out vBrawl is the right way to go about this.

Just bring B+ to tourneys in your region and hold side-tourneys, and let the momentum build up gradually and naturally. The people who prefer B+ will come to you. If the community really prefers B+ to vB, then eventually they will stop entering the vBrawl tourneys and just enter the B+ ones. Trying to force B+ on people or completely replace vBrawl can't possibly help the cause.

wowoduend

Smash Journeyman
I don't want vBrawl players to quit vBrawl because of Brawl+. I feel comfortable for them playing vBrawl and Brawl+ at the sametime. If they want to quit vBrawl for Brawl+, then that's their decision.

I wonder whats Melee players thought on Brawl+ now. They probably either gonna hate it because it's still Brawl or give Brawl+ lesser hate then vBrawl.

Slashy

Smash Lord
Wowoduend, most Melee players feel that Brawl+ is superior to Brawl, but inferior to Melee.

However, I've run with the opposite, Melee players who feel that I should just play vBrawl because at least vBrawl isn't trying to be a horrible job at being like Melee.

Dantarion

Smash Champion
If you want to get people in your area to play, take matters into your own hands. That's what I did. I started from scratch, bringing a B+ setup to every vBrawl tourney, getting more people to try it, holding little side-tourneys, and eventually it caught on. Now most of the MD/VA community will at least enter a side-event B+ tourney, at least a dozen will skip a vBrawl tourney for a B+ tourney, and several players quit vBrawl entirely because of B+. Success!

Okay, I didn't want to do this, but ill explain.

Santa Barbara Smash = DSF+Nezumi and friends.

DSF and Nezumi run SCSA, a series of one of the biggest tournament series in SoCal. SCSA5 is coming this weekend, http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=8080, and 112 people on AiB already say they are attending, with MANY more planned to attend. They also run local tournaments every now and then.

When I talk to them about Brawl+, and the possibility of running B+ tournaments, the feeling I get from them is that running 64 tournaments is still better than running B+ because of lack of support for Brawl+ OVER these events.

As far as I know, NO major Socal tournament has run a Brawl+ tournament. Ever.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, unfortunately Brawl+ isn't taken seriously at all on the West Coast. Sorry about that...

camelot

Smash Ace
However, I've run with the opposite, Melee players who feel that I should just play vBrawl because at least vBrawl isn't trying to be a horrible job at being like Melee.
Ok, so...

People bash at Brawl because, as a competitive game, it is horrible compared to Melee, because of the lack of tech skill and imbalances.

Then comes Brawl+, which brings character balance, fixes glitches, and adds some things to make the game more competitive and consistent with the series, and now Melee players are saying to go back to vBrawl (the "inferior game") because Brawl+ is "trying to be like Melee".

Wow. Really?

*golf clap*

They'd probably hate Project M even more, then... but still for no good reason.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Ok, so...

People bash at Brawl because, as a competitive game, it is horrible compared to Melee, because of the lack of tech skill and imbalances.

Then comes Brawl+, which brings character balance, fixes glitches, and adds some things to make the game more competitive and consistent with the series, and now Melee players are saying to go back to vBrawl (the "inferior game") because Brawl+ is "trying to be like Melee".

Wow. Really?

*golf clap*

They'd probably hate Project M even more, then... but still for no good reason.
I think maybe Slashy didn't say it right?
They usually say "go play melee" instead of "go back to vbrawl".

o.O I've never heard any melee player suggest playing brawl over anything.
-DD

Alphatron

Smash Champion
^When brawl+ was first released, Gimpyfish made a topic on the melee boards talking about how he played it and that it was merely a sloppy version of brawl. As not everyone keeps up with brawl+, some of them still think this way and say inaccurate things(like this one dude on gamefaqs who talked about waveshining). I'm pretty sure I've seen Kupo say that vbrawl requires more skill than brawl+ too in a youtube comment, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
^When brawl+ was first released, Gimpyfish made a topic on the melee boards talking about how he played it and that it was merely a sloppy version of brawl. As not everyone keeps up with brawl+, some of them still think this way and say inaccurate things(like this one dude on gamefaqs who talked about waveshining). I'm pretty sure I've seen Kupo say that vbrawl requires more skill than brawl+ too in a youtube comment, but I may be remembering incorrectly.
Eh. Gimpy is like Jesus to the scrubs. He probably killed all WC Brawl+ing.

Its still spreading, either way.
Its all good.

-DD

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
Put it this way. Imagine you are in an alternate reality. In this alternate reality, vBrawl was released as what we will come to know as Gold Brawl+. Later on, a bunch a hackers came around and decided to change a bunch of things. They buffed their favourite characters, nerfed the ones they didn't like, and made it overall slower and easier to play. They called their product Gold vvBrawl. I WOULD NEVER PLAY GOLD VVBRAWL.

It's funny, I haven't actually played Brawl+ yet. I guess I'm waiting for Gold? I just know it'll be so much better than vBrawl though. Melee 2 also looks like it's going to be great but it's a completely different feel (I think I may like it better).

Mythic

Smash Rookie
Brawl+:

Fun.
Speed.
Activate.

-------------------
vBrawl:

Why am I playing this again?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I don't want vBrawl players to quit vBrawl because of Brawl+. I feel comfortable for them playing vBrawl and Brawl+ at the sametime. If they want to quit vBrawl for Brawl+, then that's their decision.

I wonder whats Melee players thought on Brawl+ now. They probably either gonna hate it because it's still Brawl or give Brawl+ lesser hate then vBrawl.
don't worry about the Melee players. most of them will hate Brawl, Brawl+, Balanced Brawl, or whatever just because it's not exactly like Melee. they are the equivalent of those LOTR fans who hate the films because it isn't exactly like the books-their opinion will never change. (and this is coming from a Melee player.) just think of the other Brawler's opinions, first and foremost.

SiD

Smash Master
don't worry about the Melee players. most of them will hate Brawl, Brawl+, Balanced Brawl, or whatever just because it's not exactly like Melee. they are the equivalent of those LOTR fans who hate the films because it isn't exactly like the books-their opinion will never change. (and this is coming from a Melee player.) just think of the other Brawler's opinions, first and foremost.
That's assanine. The whole point of this is to try and reunite the community...

And that's not true either. I dislike regular Brawl but not because it isn't exactly like Melee, simply because it is so much worse, both in balance and gameplay. Brawl+ and Project M and other such things seek to rememdy this, and I'm all for it.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
That's assanine. The whole point of this is to try and reunite the community...

And that's not true either. I dislike regular Brawl but not because it isn't exactly like Melee, simply because it is so much worse, both in balance and gameplay. Brawl+ and Project M and other such things seek to rememdy this, and I'm all for it.
note how I said most, not all. I know everyone has their own personal dislikes, as well.

5ive

Smash Champion
This topic reminds me of how much ignorance is spread around regarding Brawl+. It makes me sad.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
Aside from not knowing Brawl+'s existence and hacking the wii, what else makes people stick to vBrawl over Brawl+?
I don't see any reason why they shouldn't switch to the better game.
Unless they want to reel in the tourney prize using Metaknight lol

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Speaking as a Melee player, I think the Brawl hacks should go the route they have been, making Brawl a better game, but not attempting to be a Melee clone. I would rather see Brawl become a good game in its own right. That would be much more appealing as a game to take seriously than a game trying to be a clone of Melee with extra characters. Sure, more viable characters is nice, but it would still just make me want to go back to Melee; I'm not quite tired of the game yet. I can play both 64 and Melee because they are different games. I wouldn't play 64 if it was made more like Melee either.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Okay, so I just watched Lee Martin vs Ally in Brawl+ and, well, it wasn't THAT fun to watch. Lee just kept on camping, when Ally was Snake he also camped a lot, there wasn't very many large combos(there was like 3 from lucario in the whole set) and none of them led to losing a stock, edgeguarding seemed impossible especially on lucario, since they were being campy, they couldn't edgeguard each other, and combos never killed it took FOREVER for the match to end, over all I hope Project M will be more fun to watch.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Okay, so I just watched Lee Martin vs Ally in Brawl+ and, well, it wasn't THAT fun to watch. Lee just kept on camping, when Ally was Snake he also camped a lot, there wasn't very many large combos(there was like 3 from lucario in the whole set) and none of them led to losing a stock, edgeguarding seemed impossible especially on lucario, since they were being campy, they couldn't edgeguard each other, and combos never killed it took FOREVER for the match to end, over all I hope Project M will be more fun to watch.
You chose to watch two of the campiest characters in the and make a judgment call? Snake still is a monster to try and approach and still a camping machine. Lucario can't risk rushing Snake down so Lucario has to camp. Watch matches that don't involve Snake (and I think Zelda matches are pretty boring) and see what you think. Melee had some characters (Puff and ICs) that were terribly boring to watch.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Yeah, GF were definitely the most boring set of Pound 4. Both vBrawl players playing campy characters, camping extra hard because a lot of money was on the line. That set was basically a chess match. Watch anything other than that set if you want excitement.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Jiggs isn't boring to watch if she isn't playing Jiggs xD

And yeah, I kind of figured those character were pretty boring but isn't Wario suppose to be fun to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom