• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl + the standard game

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
lol long boring north carolina/ catfish/ stack it up story. but this is my orig account, keith da thief is alt. check the join date between the two.

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
Project M seems rather interesting with the HAD and character specific changes, but what turns me off is the l canceling. it just makes a wall between the casual and the competitive. more people follow brawl+ due to it being easy to pick up, and that, with practice can make more competitive players, which means more followers. maybe if they made the l canceling window slightly larger would it possibly work for the more casual... if they don't, im considering removing that code and test it with Brawl+'s auto l cancelling. playing too much brawl, and switching from falco melee main to brawl+ ROB main made me forget how to use that tec.

as for Brawl+ being the main, I agree.

Gardevior

Smash Lord
Project M seems rather interesting with the HAD and character specific changes, but what turns me off is the l canceling. it just makes a wall between the casual and the competitive. more people follow brawl+ due to it being easy to pick up, and that, with practice can make more competitive players, which means more followers. maybe if they made the l canceling window slightly larger would it possibly work for the more casual... if they don't, im considering removing that code and test it with Brawl+'s auto l cancelling. playing too much brawl, and switching from falco melee main to brawl+ ROB main made me forget how to use that tec.

The thing about l-cancelling is that it isn't completely important to how the game will be played casually. You just don't l-cancel if you don't want to, and you still get to play the game. Sure, you don't get as many combos, but that's just more incentive to l-cancel.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero

And what was the reason Melee players(including me) quit Brawl+ after about a month? Oh yeah, BECAUSE THAT WALL DIDN'T EXIST. It's too easy to play Brawl+, it's not even kind of hard.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
but one of the reasons i wont go back to melee is cause of l canceling. i cant even use jiggs that efficiently without it.

edit: and brawl + 6.0 is alot more balance. i forgot which one of yall said it was easy, but i can tell u it requires some skill and practice to be decent.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
It's easy to pick up brawl+ and get the basics down. I've yet to have someone explain to me what makes it easy beyond that.

If learning how to play a game is too easy, then I'm not seeing the big issue. Maybe if L-cancelling reduced your lag to 0(like 64), I'd see a point in the game not doing it for you. Otherwise, what makes B+ too easy?

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
edit: and brawl + 6.0 is alot more balance. i forgot which one of yall said it was easy, but i can tell u it requires some skill and practice to be decent.
Compared to 64 and Melee, no it doesn't.

edit:^^ What do you mean? Just play 64 and Melee and you can tell how easy it is. It doesn't take any technical skill to play Brawl+.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
It doesn't take any tech skill to firebound with Ness, or JC Fox's shine, or B reverse nuetral B moves, or time Ness DownB SA, or read DI/tech chase. or DACUS with Sheik, or ledgetech, or dash cancel dsmashes.

No tech skill at all in brawl+ of course. Just dthrow with Fox and run across the stage to usmash.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
It doesn't take any tech skill to firebound with Ness, or JC Fox's shine, or B reverse nuetral B moves, or time Ness DownB SA, or read DI/tech chase. or DACUS with Sheik, or ledgetech, or dash cancel dsmashes.

No tech skill at all in brawl+ of course. Just dthrow with Fox and run across the stage to usmash.
That stuff isn't that hard. lol JC shining is a exception. Compared to 64 and Melee, please.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Well, of course jump cancel shining would be the exception since it was in melee as well. You also forgot ledge teching.

Also, Z cancelling in the first game is pretty easy. The first game was easy to learn. overall. Mastering is another thing.

Sarcasm aside, as far as tech skill is concerned, the Magus cancel idea was awesome imo. It was basically a buffed L-cancel that shrunk your shield for its cost. Wish B+ included it.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
SDing into the edge when being edge guarded is easy for me. I usually screw up when I'm hanging from the ledge. Maybe I just suck.

In any case, I know peopld irl who say that melee is easier than 64 due to the added defensive options and the nerf to offensive strings. Yet melee is still taken seriously(by more people no less).

BEES

Smash Lord
Melee is not easier because it doesn't have super extensive combos.
Fox and Falco have guaranteed combos in Melee that are longer than anything you can do in Brawl+ with anybody.

It is easier to slip away in Brawl+. It is harder to read opponents. I would argue that it is a greater challenge to string 6 hits with Falco in Brawl+ than it is to combo 6 hits in Melee, if we ignore technical barriers.

SiD

Smash Master
It is definitely not harder to read opponents in Brawl+ than in Melee, there are fewer options pretty much at all times.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Fox and Falco have guaranteed combos in Melee that are longer than anything you can do in Brawl+ with anybody.

It is easier to slip away in Brawl+. It is harder to read opponents. I would argue that it is a greater challenge to string 6 hits with Falco in Brawl+ than it is to combo 6 hits in Melee, if we ignore technical barriers.
SDI can get out of any combo in melee. Falco's are just hard as hell to get out of.

What guaranteed combos does Fox have besides waveshining? NONE. Please use real facts.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
I like how this topic was about if Brawl+ could become the standard game for Brawl someday and a bunch of melee fanboys came in and said it doesn't matter it will never be as good as Melee was. Brawl+ isn't trying to be Melee, it never was and never will. Some things that worked well in Melee were borrowed but it was never a direct emulation. Get off your high horse melee fanboys. Both games are great and have been developed for different groups of people. I should talk to Bionic Sonic and get this topic closed if all it is a flame war between smash games.

BEES

Smash Lord
SDI can get out of any combo in melee. Falco's are just hard as hell to get out of.

What guaranteed combos does Fox have besides waveshining? NONE. Please use real facts.
In Melee, these escape windows are a frame or two, and require very good DI. People don't get out of these supposedly escapable combos in tournaments. In Brawl+ the windows are nice and big, so whenever you can escape, you do escape.

Let's put this all into perspective here. Your claim that Melee is harder than 64 because it has shorter combos was unfounded. It's harder than 64 because there are more options and more ATs. It is a more defensive game, but being a more defensive game has nothing to do with that.

One would never claim that Brawl is harder than Melee because of that. It does not affect difficulty, only the types of strategies which are effective. I wouldn't claim Brawl+ is harder than Melee even though there's nothing as broken as Fox and Falco's shine followups in Melee.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
@goodoldganon I didn't say any of that. wtf are you talking about.

@BEES Didn't I say EXCEPT waveshining? Why would you link me a vid with waveshine combos? Yes, Falco is an exception, he's a combo machine. And when did I say it was harder because combos are shorter??? Can you guys NOT put words in my mouth!?! It's harder because there's overall more options, it's faster, and because it takes way more techskill.

Melee has a balance of defense and offense. It's not overly offensive like 64 and not overly defensive like brawl.

And another thing. I NEVER SAID MELEE WAS BETTER. I just stated my opinion why I don't play it competitively.

and I'm not a melee "fanboy", goodoldganon. If I am, you're a B+ fanboy.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I like how this topic was about if Brawl+ could become the standard game for Brawl someday and a bunch of melee fanboys came in and said it doesn't matter it will never be as good as Melee was. Brawl+ isn't trying to be Melee, it never was and never will. Some things that worked well in Melee were borrowed but it was never a direct emulation. Get off your high horse melee fanboys. Both games are great and have been developed for different groups of people. I should talk to Bionic Sonic and get this topic closed if all it is a flame war between smash games.
instead of closing this thread why not just make a thread were these people can go fight/argue about which game is better, i mean even if u lock this thread they will still find a place to argue somewhere else anyway.

SiD

Smash Master
Nobody's flaming...except you of course.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
I flaming him because I'm pissed that goodoldganon flamed me and put words in my mouth. Sorry, that type of stuff irks me. Plus I'm pretty sure that guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Alphatron

Smash Champion
Let's be civilized please.

If SDing out of combos is a viable option in melee, why isn't it one in brawl+? Is it due to brawl+ having less hitlag, making SDIng harder?

Besides being told that the game was simply easy, I haven't really recieved an answer to my original question. Smash games are easy to pick up and play. What specifically makes brawl+ that much easier to the point of being unenjoyable?

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Yeah... I think this discussion has served its purpose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom