• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl gets Two Star review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
I cant even read all of that. Its just him babbling on about how 'bad' Nintendo is. He even swears repeatedly, thats not a review, its just a guy who is one sided, biased, and cant display images in colour (lol?).

Seems like he has a group who agree and suck up to him in his comments. Id be interested to see what games this guy actually likes!

SirPsychoMantis

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't even read that "review" for more than a minute. I don't mind people looking at SSBB critically, but that was just horribly written almost to the point of being hilarious.

Plutonium21

Smash Rookie
his reviewers seem brainwashed and they are all FPS MS fanboys. He did say though that the game itself got 4 out of 4 stars. He took 6 stars off for "Nintendo Fetishism". Idiot.

maxieman

Smash Ace
"I mean, I’m not going to lie — I write most of what I write on the internet because sometimes people’s emails are hilarious; I haven’t actually laughed at one in, like, three years, now, though I’m not going to stop believing."

so yeah he's an attention ***** =/

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Why do you guys keep quoting no-name publications that dis the Smash Bros. franchise because of personal vendettas?

FMArthur

Smash Cadet
Yeah, in the last paragraph he qualifies everything he said by saying that it's a fantastic game, virtually perfect, but he dislikes the theme so much that he rated it lower. Honestly, he just hates Nintendo characters, and it's kind of remarkable that he would play this game at all. It is kind of funny (humor review), but too long to maintain attention.

Sychu

Smash Apprentice
Wow, this punk starts out his reveiw by bashing nintendo for like 4 paragraphs then starts hating on brawl. that right there proves his hate for nintendo and the stupidity of his reveiw.

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
tl; dr

Seriously, he's a terrible writer. Disorganized, poor word choice and awful sentence structure. He lost me at the first paragraph.

Kasek

Smash Ace
Lynchburg, Virginia, U.S.A., North America, Earth,
Reading through that, I can tell that he just outright hates Nintendo. he basically admits the only reason it got 2 stars was because Sonic's in it (the only part where he lets slip that it's an actually good game that he enjoys playing, which is then followed/covered up by more hate).

Mama

Smash Ace
relax this same guy gave....
FF 12 (2 out of 4)
God of War 2 (0 out of 4)
Legend of Zelda-Twilight Princess(1 out of 4)
Metal Gear Solid (1 out of 4)
Super Mario Galaxy (2 1/2 out of 4)
Elder Scrolls IV (1/2 out of 4)
Wii Sports (1 out of 4)
Castlevania-SotN (2 out of 4)

not sayin he's biased or anythin...but are we really gonna measure this opinion vs others who say that the above listed games are groundbreaking (hell even gamespot gave twilight princess the equivalent of a 3 out of 4)
Lol well I think that says enough about this guys credibility. God of War a 0? FF12 a 2.

For one thing I think any review system that isn't out of 10 is stupid. (like x-Plays out of 5). And 4 stars as a max is just stupid.

Krytha

Smash Journeyman
Its a huge read and I didnt get through most of it, but he does have some points. Like the music...

Ryven

Smash Cadet
Scanned the first two pages of this thread, rest was tl;dr. I did RTFA, though.

Err... so, you guys know he basically says at the end that he really likes it, right? Check the second footnote: he's been playing it every day for the last three weeks, and if the controls worked the way he wanted them to he'd have given it fourteen out of ten. It's just his style to pretend to be pissy, and I thought it was a hilarious article that made some very good points about how SSE is a terrible game mode (it is; I played through all of it two weeks ago, co-op) and how the controls are a bit... um... I can't sum it up in a word, but I know what he means when he says that if it controlled like a platformer, it would feel better.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
tl; dr

Seriously, he's a terrible writer. Disorganized, poor word choice and awful sentence structure. He lost me at the first paragraph.
I have to agree. Even making the point that he does enjoy the game at the end doesn't do him very much good if he can't hold the reader's attention until that point.

The site in general seems to be against alot of Nintendo games. Just scanning the archive one of the only Nintendo games that scored a 4 was... Balloon Fighter?

Also, Super Mario Sunshine scored higher than Super Mario Galaxy.

Yeah, I'm closing the book on this one.

Gilgamesh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mario: the fauna of the toad kingdom, is ok inside his kingdom. please don’t bring these animals for others things. make some miracle happens, that transform the toads people into more natural people. is time to replace Mario with Mario jr, the son of Mario. edgier and cooler, fan of punk and skate. also make the girls sexy, or you will end up planting some massive sexual disorder associated with toons, into humanity.
Might as well make Poochy reappear in Itchy & Scratchy.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
He uses the word 'fetish' far too many times, which makes me feel uncomfortable.
That, and he talks general crap on most games it seems.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
Nobody even knows who this is, so who really gives a **** what his Gaylo loving mind thinks? Don't feed the self-important idiot, folks.

Ryven

Smash Cadet
Hmm... maybe I enjoyed it because his writing style matches my flow of consciousness, except that I imagined him with an amusing Oxford accent ranting at a mile a minute, and I thought his exaggerated "hatred" of the game was funny (which may be affected by my lack of sleep and bleak outlook on life XD).

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
his favorite game was superman for the n64. or if not he is a gay xbox360/ps3 fanboy who hates nintendo. his thoughts was not scientific at all.

japtar10101

Smash Apprentice
FF 12 (2 out of 4)
Wii Sports (1 out of 4)

not sayin he's biased or anythin...but are we really gonna measure this opinion vs others who say that the above listed games are groundbreaking (hell even gamespot gave twilight princess the equivalent of a 3 out of 4)
That doesn't make me respect this person's review any better (although I admit a few of those games do deserve those grades. Like Wii sports). He doesn't seem to like modern games at all!

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
also, what the hell kinda scale is out of 4 stars??? thats stupid and you can never accurately rate a game on a scale like that, you really need 5 or something at the very least.
Uhh....movies are reviewed, traditionally, from 0 to 4 stars. Ebert still uses that system as far as I know.

Anyways, it's pretty clear he didn't like Nintendo coming in and probably never got into Melee or original Smash before Brawl. But who cares if he doesn't like the game? He is entitled to his opinion, at least it's better than the people posting reviews based on what they've HEARD about the game.

Plus he makes a lot of funny references that remind me of a Bill Simmons writing style. Completely unorthodox, yet fun to read even if you disagree with his opinion.

That being said, white text on black background is f***ing terrible. And yes, I know full well this board uses it too.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
FF 12 (2 out of 4)
Wii Sports (1 out of 4)

Jesus christo thats crazy. :laugh:

Snowman9666

Smash Cadet
wtf, i got through the first to long *** paragraphs and nothing mention brawl... all he talked about was a little brother dying from jerking too much... that guy needs a life (i stopped reading it at that point) it became clear he knew nothing about brawl...

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I stopped reading after all the parentheses... I love using parentheses myself, but that was ridiculous... He has parentheses inside his parentheses... This article isn't even written coherently...

whenever a bad guy (Wario, Bowser, Ganondorf) shows up in a cut-scene, they’re equipped with a big sci-fi gun which, when fired, turns any Nintendo character into an action figure. Someone is trying to collect all of the Nintendo action figures!
This guy is a serious joke...

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
i think the updated version of the angel island theme is pretty sharp.

it’s just sad that this game will overshadow the REAL franchise character party game….sega superstars tennis.

beat (from jet set radio) playing ulala (from space channel 5) on the outrun court……hmmm.

wow this is the stupidest thing i've ever read

NDUDE

Smash Ace
FF 12 (2 out of 4)
Wii Sports (1 out of 4)

So his whole purpose in life is to write crap reviews of great games just for ****s and giggles? LOL. How about we not take this dude seriously since he obviously needs help?

Mechageo

Smash Ace
No wonder he hated it so much, he got the copy that has the color turned ALL the way DOWN and the contrast turned ALL the way UP!

If he had purchased the regular, full color version, he would have rated it better.

TheBigBadCow

Smash Cadet
I kinda skimmed most of it. I lost my attention when he kept on going back to criticize Nintendo and kept forgetting that he had a game to review.

Oh, and it seems like the only thing he touched was the SSE. Didn't he hear that the game was multiplayer?

Suoinegni

Smash Apprentice
Firstly, who the hell rates on a scale of 4?! And now that that's out of the way, it's pretty obvious this guy is anti-Nintendo. Although judging from his other reviews, he just has poor taste in games in general. Regardless, it doesn't change the fact that the actual "review" was hard to, if not impossible to follow. I got about halfway through (and I'm sure that's better than some people). And what was with all the parentheses? I couldn't understand half of what he was trying to say.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Whaaaaat!!! ........ I can read Japanese more easily than that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom