• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Start with Mario.
I tried using Mario in this game but I didn't like his fireball game in comparison to Brawl. At least without custom items. I still think he's pretty strong and a good option to pick as a secondary but he doesn't really fit my play style to be honest.

I've taken to Fox personally. Other good suggestions I've heard are Mario, Luigi, or Pikachu.
I like Fox as well. I like the fact that he's very mobile and they both have similar(ish) approaches e.g. dash attack, dash > shield grab etc. I just need to get used to all the new things that he has in this game in order to use him properly though.

Right now I'm gravitating towards Wario and MK. I like both of their character designs and I like Wario's movement and kill power. MK's fun to me because I like his poke game and the fact that he's good at applying pressure once he gets in.

B!squick

Smash Master
Guys. These are the same people who thought GSPs weren't the most Wiitarded idea in the world. Klaw can only get WORSE from this point on. At the very least I'm sure MewTwo will join the list of characters that can recover from it.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Guys. These are the same people who thought GSPs weren't the most Wiitarded idea in the world. Klaw can only get WORSE from this point on. At the very least I'm sure MewTwo will join the list of characters that can recover from it.
That's fine. I take the the T Rex range of Klaw as a challenge to be extra precise with Aerial Klaw grabs to ensure I can grab any dweeb out of the air like a magician.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Well Zigsta, at least your Apex plight caused some positive changes to our local ruleset.

Misc Rules
•Self-Destruct Move Clause: If a match ends with the successful use of a character’s self-destruct move, the player that initiated the self-destruct move wins the match regardless of what the results screen states.

Self-Destruct moves include only Bowser’s SideB, Ganondorf’s SideB, King Dedede’s NeutralB, Wario’s NeutralB, and Kirby’s NeutralB.

The bad news though...
Custom Moves
Custom Moves are currently not allowed. This rule is subject to change in the future.
Community backlash forced this to happen as well. It was fun while it lasted. :(

B!squick

Smash Master
And Apex's games running so long despite 2 stock games probably wont help in that department. Even though the cause was making Top 8 best of 5 for some reason.

What community backlash happened over the custom moves?

MrEh

Smash Hero
It basically just comes down to a lot of the people over here wanting to be taken seriously and play seriously against the mainland. Since the mainland doesn't use customs, neither should we. That's the main argument being thrown around now. Banning customs was done to please the community versus us finding anything wrong with them from a balance standpoint. (3 months of testing with customs only solidified my opinion that customs are fair and balanced, but that's a moot point when the community just doesn't want it period.)

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
It basically just comes down to a lot of the people over here wanting to be taken seriously and play seriously against the mainland. Since the mainland doesn't use customs, neither should we. That's the main argument being thrown around now. Banning customs was done to please the community versus us finding anything wrong with them from a balance standpoint. (3 months of testing with customs only solidified my opinion that customs are fair and balanced, but that's a moot point when the community just doesn't want it period.)
This is a big problem with Smash 4 as a whole, unfortunately. People really aren't experimenting with this stuff as much as they should. Be it stocks, stages, customs, Mii Fighters, what have you, the sentiment seems to be "This is how the big boys do it so that's that." And that's just crummy.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Lack of customs means characters have an advantage over others. And people are lazy to unlock them all. So that's probably why custom use is probably a long way off. If it takes off at all.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The prevailing attitude about customs may be to ban them right now, but there are still people out there who support their inclusion, myself included. The challenge is convincing respected TOs. They have enough clout in the community to sway the masses, more often than not. That's what it all comes down to.

Mr. Sand-Attack

Smash Rookie
Hello, all. My name is Mr. Sand-Attack, and I delved into competitive smash just a couple months ago. I couldn't find a character that felt right... until I played Bowser. There's something so completely satisfying about maining Bowser. Since then, I've been reading through the Bowser boards extensively, and all of the videos and advice you guys have compiled have been invaluable. I just wanted to say that I appreciate what you guys have put together.

As for personal details, I am a pharmacy school student (just a year and a couple of months from my PharmD!) and outside of smash, I enjoy comic books, drawing/painting, and strategy games.

Regralht

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Regralht
Hi, not sure if you guys already have a Bowser Skype chat, but I've created one just now where I'm trying to gather people from every character specific chat into one, for MU discussion / a place to fight other chars.

Edit: link for some reason autocorrects to something else, just copy and paste this...

skype:?chat&blob=8dWUcz__4ed4SlQymHkEdKXQzCIElq_cW318zWNGWFxg03IFNk28BI1AaOBZVy2rL-bn0H7LQmXTlxTRXxmo9jE

Last edited:

Pikachutobal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-8141-2794
Hello everyone, I am pikachutobal
Bowser is the character who most wanted to use in Smash 4, because in all his competitive history, it was junk
To see him run with his legs, was an incredible moment for me
Bowser is now OP
I hope to contribute and improve every day with this new Bowser
see ya!

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Hello everyone, I am pikachutobal
Bowser is the character who most wanted to use in Smash 4, because in all his competitive history, it was junk
To see him run with his legs, was an incredible moment for me
Bowser is now OP
I hope to contribute and improve every day with this new Bowser
see ya!
Welcome!
I don't frequent here but I lurk social threads XD
Back into the shadows I go

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Hey, Corgian here. I've been playing Smash competitively since Project M (RIP PM). I'm actually part of the same scene as Nick Riddle (RIP Nick's Bowser), and am continually working to become a better player. I was really interested in Bowser since the beginning of Sm4sh 3DS but decided against playing him because everyone claimed he was broken, so ironically, I decided to play Diddy since he felt like Project M Diddy. That didn't work out well. So, I decided to follow my gut and explore Bowser some more, since my Fox recently gave me a character crisis at my weekly. He's got some great fundamentals, and really helps you manage your basics while remembering to stay calm. I play a really defensive Bowser, taking advantage of run into shield followed by any of his 4,326 options out of shield. I'm enjoying him very much and after 3 weeks of labbing, I'll finally be testing him at my weekly tonight.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Hey guys, LIQUID12A here. While he's not my main, Bowser has formally ascended to my secondaries. I find him to be very fun to play, speaking as someone who doesn't fancy heavyweights. I only have For Glory experience to work from, but it's enough to convince me to use him seriously. I'm looking to gain more experience with Bowser as time passes, so expect me as a regular here now. :)

:4bowser:

spiderfreak1011

Smash Ace
NNID
spiderfreak1011
3DS FC
3050-8430-0117
Wow, lots of people joining the Bowser train. Good to see.

I got my Bowser amiibo on the 29th (yay for street dates), ive gotten him to level 50 by training him the best way to train amiibos supposedly (Basically, have your amiibo fight a level 9 CPU similar to their character in terms of class/playstyles for levels 1-10, then mirror match them levels 11-20 and teach them combos specific to their character, 21-35 have them fight against 3 people on a team against the amiibo and let them get wrecked to make them bloodthirsty for kills, and 36-50 fight them yourself with your mains). My amiibo is really good now, and great for practice IMO. I'll post a picture of him when i get Ness and Shulk (and Mewtwo if he gets an amiibo).

Anyone gonna get the Super Mario line Bowser amiibo? Or any Super Mario Line amiibos?

Koopakid 64

Smash Rookie
NNID
koopaman
I've just joined the smash community after being in a tournament for the first time in Arizona. and I've been using Bowser ever since he first appeared in Melee and it surprises me how much he changed over the years. In the tournament, i used Bowser and won three matches against a little mac, a diddy kong, and sonic. and then it surprised me when I had to go against K9 out of all people and got destroyed by his shiek in smash wii u. So to all the Bowser mains out there, I solute you to using this Koopa King.

It makes me so happy to see other Bowser mains out there that I can learn from. My Nintendo network ID: koopaman64

It surprises me how much the smash community in AZ wants to see my Bowser again.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
People generally want to see more characters that take more work, effort and just being the better player to win. Which is most likely why they would want to see more Bowser again. Because unlike say Sheik who can combo very well and shut us Bowser's down, we as Bowser's are risking every single match we fight by simply choosing to be Bowser.

And you probably made an impression by defeating a Mac, Diddy Kong and more importantly Sonic one of our WORST matchups.

Savangardius Corsio

Smash Rookie
NNID
Savangardius
Hi fine people, Iet me take some precious little time of your life introducing myself. I'm Savangardius, a dude from Venezuela, and currently I'm trying to main Bowser (or have him as a co-main maybe). Now, I haven't been to any tournaments yet, so I'm just a FG player who wants to improve his game with the good ol' Bowser, no matter the weaknesses he may have, because dedication is what takes people far.

So, I'm gonna frequent this forum from time to time (if I can) to learn more about Bowser (I feel like I have a lot to learn, so any advice in general will be welcome) and, well, I guess to have a good time with all the other Bowser mains here as well, we Bowsers must hang out now more than ever, don't you agree?.

That's all, have an imaginary bro fist. :4miibrawl:

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Hey gang, sorry I haven't posted my post-Apex Bowsercide thread yet. My writing partner and I recently secured a manager and are developing a pitch with a producer--it's obviously taken my attention.

Rest assured though that the thread is coming.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Hey gang, sorry I haven't posted my post-Apex Bowsercide thread yet. My writing partner and I recently secured a manager and are developing a pitch with a producer--it's obviously taken my attention.

Rest assured though that the thread is coming.
Zigsta and his godlike production values.

Last edited:

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
@ Koopakid 64 Koopakid 64 Be sure to place these videos in the video thread. You're doin' good, though, as far as this video is concerned. Please post more matches, like a full best of 3 or best of 5 set, and we'll have more to say.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
So, how does everyone here feel about EVO making customs legal for Smash 4?

I think this is HUGE for the game, because we all know that smaller tourneys like to take after bigger tourneys when it comes to rulesets. Hell, my region already had a customs-legal tourney last week, and more are on the horizon.

Soon, we will unleash the wrath of waveslashing Bowser all across the globe.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
I'm still a little iffy about it, but it's worth a shot if it'll give us a break from the H O O H A H B O Y Z as well as finally giving Palutena and some others a chance to shine. I fear that it may be a bit intimidating for potential newbies to have to relearn match-ups that you can't practice in the gloryhole however.

DASH SLASH HNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG

*ahem*

MrEh

Smash Hero
So, how does everyone here feel about EVO making customs legal for Smash 4?

I think this is HUGE for the game, because we all know that smaller tourneys like to take after bigger tourneys when it comes to rulesets. Hell, my region already had a customs-legal tourney last week, and more are on the horizon.
I hope that EVO paves way for a majority of tournaments to start running customs.

There's nothing broken about them and it makes the game more interesting to watch. So why not?

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I'm not really the biggest fan, but I don't really care too much either way. As long as I play the game, that's all that matters to me.

I'll probably be miffed the first couple of times due to gimmick sets, but that's what happens.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I think there's respectable arguments to be made on both sides of the subject. I was always on board with customs until the night where Olimar's pikmin amplification glitch was discovered. I notified the official thread and the first responders were not immediately convinced there was a problem to be discussed. Now I'm not sure customs are the right call.

And yes, increasing the amount of matchups you need to learn from 51 to over one hundred is an acceptable reason for people to not like customs. Especially if they came from Melee where that number is, maybe eight maximum? But because of Smash 4's large roster, knowledge of matchups is the quickest and most consistent way of stepping up your game for tournaments. You should take care to play friendlies against as many different characters as you can. I got absolutely rocked by a pikachu in bracket at my last tournament, and I will definitely have similar experiences with custom moves if I'm not doing my research.

When we show people our (presumably) one custom move (let's say dash slash for this example), the opponent will think "Hrmm, they slash and move forward? Okay, no big deal." Then we start using the move that acts precisely like a super wave dash. That's a definite game changer.

MrEh

Smash Hero
The opponent has to initiate the glitch, not Olimar. If someone falls victim to it, it is 100% their fault. That is broken how? It's not.

Unless we're talking about doubles. But you can just ban the move if it gets out of control. Which, at this time, there is no evidence that it will. (Nintendo will probably patch it anyway.)

Having to learn more matchups is not an acceptable reason, and is scrubby as hell. CvS2 had almost 50 characters, with 6 variations of each and you could run up to 3 characters on a team. Surprise, people handled that game just fine. No johns.

Last edited:

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
The opponent has to initiate the glitch, not Olimar. If someone falls victim to it, it is 100% their fault. That is broken how? It's not.

Unless we're talking about doubles. But you can just ban the move if it gets out of control. Which, at this time, there is no evidence that it will. (Nintendo will probably patch it anyway.)

Having to learn more matchups is not an acceptable reason, and is scrubby as hell. CvS2 had almost 50 characters, with 6 variations of each and you could run up to 3 characters on a team. Surprise, people handled that game just fine. No johns.
It's uncanny how often I hear "not broken" and "Nintendo will prolly patch it anyway" in the same paragraph in regards to Smash 4. If it's something that you agree needs to be patched, then yes, it's something we need to talk about. I mean, holy ****, the idea of banning one incorrectly programmed custom move out of 300+ is not the premature end of custom moves as we know it. You're project is so unbelievably against talking about banning moves that I wonder why we put any faith in it.

And another issue I have with your side is the constant "X fighting game has this many characters/variations, and they didn't complain, so git gud, scrub" doesn't make the average player suddenly love customs. Did X game ever get as big as this one? I mean, there exists one game with a following almost as large as Smash that has something I'd akin to customs, and that's different assist moves from MvC. Not at all the same concept, but I'll give you that one. Here's my problem: A good argument is what makes an analogy work, not the other way around. I'm going to puke the next time you or anybody else substitutes an argument with an analogy. It is the most braindead answer for customs being legal.

I'm already done talking about this. I won't hear your case for customs and I'm not going to spend a half hour deconstructing a samey argument. The topic for discussion in this thread is now Bowser's Fire Breath:

Is it a projectile? It can be reflected and absorbed, but if you block it, Bowser gets pushed back. What's the deal with that? I'm having an internal crisis trying to figure out the philosophical explanation for Fire Breath.

Top Bottom