• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Bowser's Castle

N~W .

Smash Cadet
Bowser isn't a character. Bowser is a lifestyle.

:bowser:
Pretty much this. Been playing Bowser for about a year or so in Brawl and I'm trying to use him in Smash 4 now.

I don't have Smash 4 yet so I've been playing it occasionally when I'm in London for tournaments or sessions with the London scene or up at my university's Video Game Society at the moment but I hope to save up enough money to get a Wii U soon.

It's like I go and play other characters for a bit, then I just instantly come back to playing Bowser. Maybe it's because I just like the 'disrespect' factor he can have in games at times. Just landing like 2-3 power hits = death or doing a Side B to your opponent whilst they're at kill percent and you look at their defeatist expression; knowing that they're going to get KOed.

It's quite satisfying making reads and it's pretty good that the character isn't exactly very complex to pick up. You don't have to learn tonnes of advanced techs or combos. You just have to learn how to hit the opponent, read their habits and punish their mistakes at least in my opinion.

That said, what I'm finding very difficult at the moment is finding a good secondary for Smash 4 Bowser at the moment. I only realised this after me and Ixis sat down and broke down Bowser's changes and weaknesses as a character in this game. Does anyone have any advice? I've currently been juggling between: Bowser Jr. , King D3, Wario, MK and maybe a bit of Marth.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
That said, what I'm finding very difficult at the moment is finding a good secondary for Smash 4 Bowser at the moment. I only realised this after me and Ixis sat down and broke down Bowser's changes and weaknesses as a character in this game. Does anyone have any advice? I've currently been juggling between: Bowser Jr. , King D3, Wario, MK and maybe a bit of Marth.
I've taken to Fox personally. Other good suggestions I've heard are Mario, Luigi, or Pikachu.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Pikachu IS pretty god-like. Ridiculous ATs available. Mario also doesn't do as well against Pikachu.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'd say Yoshi is the opposite of Bowser. Most of those opposites being damn positive attributes. Still. The only characters I enjoy playing are rather few and only select characters like Bowser, Ganondorf, DDD give me the kind of fun I aim for in Smash. Villain characters are my thing I guess. Except Bowser Jr. since I don't really get him.

After the sheer power the heavies bring I usually can't stand to play the perceived top dog characters that can combo for days. Plus I get an unrivaled satisfaction of beating such a character with Bowser/Ganon to basically say "the guy had the advantage and I still won". It makes you feel good.

Bit miffed about the exclusion of Wolf though. Villains are few and far between. Excited for Mewtwo though.

Low tier characters that pack the power but have limited implementation just get my vote.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Speaking of fast heavies, DK is still quite nice. There are a lot of tricks you can do with his kit, and he's got triple the spikes for triple the party favors. His ground slap also deals with shields better than Bowser Bomb IMO.

D

Deleted member 189823

Got my Bowser Amiibo today :D

It's beautiful.

Oz is a scrub, don't listen to him
jk :B
Fuera de joda, lo más gracioso es que estoy diciendo todo lo contrario. xd

Bowser's more than capable of dealing with the majority of the roster but it's still a good idea to have a back-up plan to deal with Sheik and Sonic. Because **** those two.

The only other characters I feel confident with are Luigi and Bowser Jr. but they don't cover Bowser's blind spots that well.
I do think that's a good idea. In my case, I decide to go Yoshi because he's a character I've used since day one, coming all the way back from 64 (then, Bowser... happened, starting Maylay). Although, if that is your backup plan, you'd do well to really concentrate on the one/two you're using. That's just how managable things feel in this game.

I've been combo'd against Sheik from to 0-40+% across the stage at times (kind of literally...), I think the secret in the MU is to be able to stay calm and use your shield well (since they can just jump around and poke your shield), work on combo DI (escaping), use your jumps wisely (in the case of being F-Tilt juggled). A good thing is that Sheik can't kill that well as the other characters.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
In lieu of this 1.0.2 update I can confirm there are no changes to Bowser. Klaw still kills Bowser first and Reverse Fortress doesn't auto latch to ledges. Apparently the game is looking for Bowser's face where his arms are tucked in to make a confirm to grab the ledge otherwise he falls to his doom or spins right over it. It isn't until it reaches his face/arms that he grabs it.

Felt the need to test even though we already knew replays still worked fine.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
In lieu of this 1.0.2 update I can confirm there are no changes to Bowser. Klaw still kills Bowser first and Reverse Fortress doesn't auto latch to ledges. Apparently the game is looking for Bowser's face where his arms are tucked in to make a confirm to grab the ledge otherwise he falls to his doom or spins right over it. It isn't until it reaches his face/arms that he grabs it.

Felt the need to test even though we already knew replays still worked fine.
If you ever find yourself ever needing to use a backwards fortress, the best thing to do is give yourself enough leeway so that fortress reaches the backgrab frames by the time you touch the ledge. You can also just hover near the ledge till you grab it, but that leaves you way more open to punishment. Or, if you're close enough to the ledge, and don't have time to safely turn around with side b, then you can use bomb + jump to snap from under the ledge.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
If you ever find yourself ever needing to use a backwards fortress, the best thing to do is give yourself enough leeway so that fortress reaches the backgrab frames by the time you touch the ledge. You can also just hover near the ledge till you grab it, but that leaves you way more open to punishment. Or, if you're close enough to the ledge, and don't have time to safely turn around with side b, then you can use bomb + jump to snap from under the ledge.
Been using the Bomb clutch more often for those crazy ledge trumps. Some of my opponents get fazed by that.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Bowser's more than capable of dealing with the majority of the roster but it's still a good idea to have a back-up plan to deal with Sheik and Sonic. Because **** those two.

The only other characters I feel confident with are Luigi and Bowser Jr. but they don't cover Bowser's blind spots that well.
Sheesh. Maybe Luigi really is the answer to Sonic that I need. Poor Camalange Camalange though...

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I think Sonic will be more and more managable as the match-up evolves, not sure about Shiek though, mainly due to lack of experience; she's an incredibly rare character for me.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sheesh. Maybe Luigi really is the answer to Sonic that I need. Poor Camalange Camalange though...
JMiller had two Sonics in his pool, and is friends with a Sonic, so god knows he was labbing that match-up to the extreme. Manny handled it better than me but still ultimately lost too.

Luigi's always been difficult for Sonic, and JMiller knew the answers. I basically did everything he wanted me to do, but I just couldn't figure out how to fix it.

:093:

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah J plays with Ixis (who mains Sonic now) pretty much like every day/week. I'd be surprised if he didn't know how to handle the MU.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Yeah so, some updates about Apex:

I made it out of R1 pools in losers. Lost to a girl using Diddy (I think this was Sade, but it was 1-2) in r1 winners, blazed through losers (all Bowser) and beat the same person in LFs in Diddy dittos unfortunately.

In r2 I had FOW and MVD and a couple of other people in the pool, but I lost 1-2 to a Sonic I was playing all night the night before. Overall I think I got to top 128 out of the amount of entrants (800 or so?).

Zigsta got boned by the Bowsercide ruling at APEX, so he didn't make it out of pools, unfortunately.

There actually were three Bowser players in my pool, oddly enough. I spent the whole weekend in the UK hotel room playing against J.Miller, Ixis (who has a really ****ing good Sonic now), C.R.Z, a clean & smart Fox player, and Siri, who is a longtime Peach & Rosalina player.

I learned a huge amount this weekend, and I'm not stopping now. I have to and will do better. But to be completely real, I do need another character to use with Bowser in this game. I have to figure that out now.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I think for a secondary I would go Wario. Seems to alleviate all my problems since a majority of projectiles just get eaten up. And can be unpredictable.

What was the Bowsercide ruling btw? Initator wins? Loses? What the game decides?

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I'm flopping between so many secondaries right now. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna get anywhere going pure Bowser, but the other thing is I've basically only played Bowser and similar characters for 4 games. I'm having to relearn everything. :L

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
I've only been using Sheik and Pit seriously as of late.

And the suicide rule was the initiator wins, but Bowser wasn't listed. So at anytime it showed as Bowser losing when he Bowsercided, Zigsta lost the game. That cost him sets two times.

It's weird because sometimes we don't have control over side-b even when we have a significant lead.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
I'm flopping between so many secondaries right now. I've come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna get anywhere going pure Bowser, but the other thing is I've basically only played Bowser and similar characters for 4 games. I'm having to relearn everything. :L
That feeling when you have 3 core main characters and 20 secondary characters.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Flying across the country just to be screwed over by the kids who complained about Bowsercide...damn :(

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Yeah, it was awful. I'll post more on the whole thing later. Bottom line: I'm getting Bowser to be included in the suicide clause, period. I got totally jipped.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Nah, Zigsta never uses side B and he got jipped like that. I use side B way more than he does

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Yeah, it was awful. I'll post more on the whole thing later. Bottom line: I'm getting Bowser to be included in the suicide clause, period. I got totally jipped.
I fear that a suicide clause of any kind would be difficult to implement in a situation where the opponent can jump out and survive if Bowser has 2 stocks left and they have 1. It's just something we have to deal with until Ninty decides to wise the **** up and fix it.

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I fear that a suicide clause of any kind would be difficult to implement in a situation where the opponent can jump out and survive if Bowser has 2 stocks left and they have 1. It's just something we have to deal with until Ninty decides to wise the **** up and fix it.
Maybe when Mewtwo is added to the game, he'll come along with a patch that'll fix any of these really janky glitches that are still in the game. I could see the team waiting till Mewtwo is released to have a patch like that one come out, it'd give them enough time to make sure they find all of the remaining glitches, or at least all of the most glaring ones, like the side b glitch.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
Maybe when Mewtwo is added to the game, he'll come along with a patch that'll fix any of these really janky glitches that are still in the game. I could see the team waiting till Mewtwo is released to have a patch like that one come out, it'd give them enough time to make sure they find all of the remaining glitches, or at least all of the most glaring ones, like the side b glitch.
I do hope this is the case. The jab-cancel infinites can go away too although I won't get my hopes up.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I can relate, because this Bowsercide BS caused me to lose in game 3 of an intense set in a local last month.

Sakurai and his team really dropped the ball here. The move's rules and mechanics aren't logical in the slightest.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
The only time I can ensure Side B goes my way is either it is used at the center of the stage for 18% damage or I get lucky and get a offstage aerial Klaw grab and ensure anyone that isn't a Kirby character, Pit/Pittoo, Charizard, and maybe Pacman will never make it back.

Also further testing has deduced that Bowser's Bair will not cancel out a Max Power Aura Sphere once Lucario breaks 177% damage.

BUT.

Time it right and Fsmash clanks it out anyway.

But let's be honest. Lucario ain't living that long anyway. Still. It's good to know!

Last edited:

Jerodak

Smash Lord
NNID
Jerodak
3DS FC
1633-5601-9085
I do hope this is the case. The jab-cancel infinites can go away too although I won't get my hopes up.
Well they did do away with Ledge cancel Turnips, and DACUS... We'll see, but in the meantime, It might be good to take a look at ways to deal with it, just in case.

Top Bottom