• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big secret muscles

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I have returned to brawl. Just wrapped up a weekend full of DK vs a bunch of really good falco's wifi and irl lol

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I also managed to get a recording of a decent mach with a good Snake. I'll upload later and hoard this forum since I've been gone lol

Labernash

Smash Lord
Hey DK's, hey.

I just bought a Super Nintendo and games, including Donkey Kong Country.

Obviously, I use DK in Brawl again because of it.

Ruinn

Smash Ace
The results of impulse wiill be up shortly. I made it out of bracket but lost after the first 2 rounds, but it was a great learning experience participating in a natinoal. ;D

How's everybody been doing with the big gorilla?

Goast

Smash Journeyman
Ah thats cool, I live in Streetsboro. I'm dying to try and find people to play though
oh nice! Not too far away Maybe when I get my car working reliable I could keep you company!

The results of impulse wiill be up shortly. I made it out of bracket but lost after the first 2 rounds, but it was a great learning experience participating in a natinoal. ;D

How's everybody been doing with the big gorilla?
Gratz making it out of pools is never easy. I've only done wifi but my DK has been putting in some good work. It seems that my puff has been winning my matches tho... even against good people lol

BeanBurrito

Smash Cadet
That'd be cool, Goast. Hit me up whenever.

And good **** Ruinn! I didn't make it out of pools at PS4, which was a bit disappointing, but it was still a good experience. I just need more matchup experience, because the one guy that I play against only uses Diddy....

BeanBurrito

Smash Cadet
As epic as that'd be, I always just team with my Diddy friend and we just go Diddy and DK. But good news, my car is finally fixed; we should try and get together sometime before RAGE

DaveyBird

Smash Cadet
Name: Daveybird

Why do you choose Donkey Kong? He's real powerful and I'm used to him. I mainly use DK and Bowser, both pretty much equally. And I think he's cute and hilarious!

Have you entered any tournaments? Only with the AI and my friends. I'm not really planning on going to MLG, I'm more of a casual gamer, but I'd like to learn more about how to use DK and Bowser effectively, and do things the AI can't.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
As epic as that'd be, I always just team with my Diddy friend and we just go Diddy and DK. But good news, my car is finally fixed; we should try and get together sometime before RAGE

It's cool. I'll be super swampped this week with work, but friday evening I'll probably doing sushi at Lokii's resturaunt

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
As a non-scientist nothing I say is fact but pretty sure the guy on our back can't get knocked off unless us (DK) get hit. And about our heavy (cargo) armor, I unfortunately couldn't tell you a % armor for when we ourselves get hit.

At one point in time Ripple said that it's not a % armor but rather a "if this move would knock DK on his *** at his current % armor." I don't know if that's how it works. If someone has something saying otherwise I'd really like to see it though, as it's pretty interesting stuff.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
yeah it's pretty much what sold2 said about ripple's thing, it's armoring through moves that wouldn't knock DK around anywhere at his percent. his cargo grab wil take like....the first two hits of c falcon's jab while he's cargoing but in my experimentation it couldn't take anything like snake's jab, at least the third hit of it.
In the case of the video the DK isn't getting hit lol. the way cargo works is the character literally is hoisted onto your back. he can still take damage from it.
I have no idea of the armor that the carried character has, though from the looks of it the character has practically no knockback...crazy. In doubles I've walked into my partner in 2v1 and he's managed to hit only the opponent and not me. I haven't really looked into it though.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Well I think its like Yoshi's double jump armor, not Snake's cypher armor. When DK was at low percents I was able to upsmash him with sheik and he didnt flinch, but at like 120 I tried it and... it broke the grab, killed the guy he was holding, but DK just did the grab break animation (probably port priority there).

Its a bit difficult to mess with since I have to hook up 3 controllers. Any ideas? I'm just trying to figure out if there could be some viable use in doubles to wrack up insane amounts of damage. I know thing's like sheik's chain can do absurd damage if you aren't able to SDI out.

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
I just told Stingers about this (he said he played you yesterday lol) and he agreed that DK carrying while ROB is on a platform is viable. I run over there and he just down smashes like three times.
But just for clarification, while the person is being cargoed he can still mash out right? I assume in the video that you weren't mashing anything so actual combos like this are probably pretty minimal.
Unless the situation is perfect, it looks like if you can pull something like this off, it'll be easier for DK to cargo d throw into a charged smash.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea, I'm sure you already know how easy it is to mash out of cargo holding (just hold up and its like maximum mashing power right there).

I just tested the only singles use I could think of (picking up popo and super armoring nana's attempts to stop me).

It doesn't work, which i find odd. You can super armor jabs, tilts and weaker aerials, but fsmash and uair knock you out of it. It is kind of funny grabbing nana and jump away while popo chases you :p

But yea, the mashing out easily thing is why I was wondering about high damage moves like sheik's chain or olimars pikmin.

crifer

Smash Lord
Do this, if you play a snake on sv/bf:
if he does a dsmash on the platform, grab him, run under the platform.
I killed a snake player by doing this, really awesome :D

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I got scrapped with DK at midwest Rage. I did learn tons. I'm definitely winning the next tourney with DK. Also I hade a really good match against Ally

Goast

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I got totally bodied at Rage too. My pool had 3 snakes, an olimar, a DDD/Falco, and two good Fox players. Not fun for DK.
poor thing lol

lol did any of you play any MI players at Rage?
not in brawl I spent most of my time in melee though

I had Ally SneakyTaco Suyon and Thugz in my bracket along with 3 other people including ori for some reason. There was a mistake on my record so I had to get thrown in that pool after the tourney started. I got to play tho so it was definitely worth it

I'm trying to make plans to go to hope 5

BeanBurrito

Smash Cadet
SpartaKick was in my pool, and he's from MI. I think Hot ArmS might be as well, along with an olimar that goes be Kee.

And I was planning on going to Hope 5 too if I don't have to work

DtJ S2n

Stardog Champion
BRoomer
Always surprising for me to realize how many midwest DKs there are. SpartaKick is freaking sick sometimes btw.

Top Bottom