• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best team mate for R.O.B?

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
It depends if you are an over-agressive R.O.B. or a laser/gyro happy R.O.B.
If you can get a partner who can act as a tank while you provide backup, you'll want a damage-oriented character. the gyro and lasers are wonderful in teams for this, since the opponents will be preoccupied with your partner.
Find someone who complements your playing style, or even look at the characters that your opponents use and counterpick based off of that

Wolydarg

Smash Journeyman
I find that I can't really spam gyro/laser in doubles. At best I'll throw a laser to break a CG and occasionally give someone that extra push into the horizontal kill zone, but there really isn't an answer to the question IMO.

There has to be good synergy between the two partners, as having a dedicated damage dealer or something along those lines is just...well, a bad idea. Doubles are usually 2 1v1's on a map, and being in sync with each other and being able to switch partners or set up situations in which it's 2v1 in your favor is infinitely more awesome than playing straight out to not get hit/hit them more.

That said, and to be completely self-contradictory, my favorite pair is Snake/ROB simply because most of snake's moves can come out without warning and give a fair bit of knockback, at which point you can fly out there with the best recovery in the game and give them the hurt. Also Snake's don't really have a problem killing, which is kinda rough for ROB (or just me).

MiraiGen

Smash Ace
The below is all theories since I don't have much experience playing doubles.

Flying jumpers like a ditto ROB, Pit, Metaknight, Kirby, and D3.

It makes it so you've got one guy ROBing it up with the aerial WoP, and then someone behind him who's equally air-deadly keeping the teammate off you with the same tactics. Worst comes to worst, switch it up and keep them separate.

Projectile spamming works great with characters like the Links, because if you keep the teammates separate and toss the occasional Laser/Boomerang/Gyro/Bomb/etc in the opposite direction the team gets constantly thrown off their game.

I've found that a great team is hard hitters, especially Ganondorf. ROB can WOP them into placement and then Ganondorf can just finish it off. But this involves intense one-mind unison fighting as you can't really let Gdorf get separated or he's just going to get whomped.

There's other options but I don't play many doubles so I can't guess.

Veggi

Smash Champion
From what I've heard, Fox's blaster is the only straightforward projectile that can get passed ROB's gyro. So if you throw one out there in the middle of the field it could be bad for projectile users that arn't on your team. Also I think I've seen a ROB player shoot his eye lasers under the gyro. Fox also has some KO potential, plus there's a robot in Star Fox named ROB. :laugh:

My vote goes to Fox, but I could be wrong, can anyone confirm any of the things I said here?

Jube Jube

Smash Rookie
Personally, I'd like to find someone who mains Toon Link to compliment my ROB in team matches. Not saying that Toon Link compliments ROB or is his ideal partner, but it's just that I like Toon Link. But then again, a two ROB team does sound pretty awesome.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
There's not much funnier then a R.O.B. Super Laser being bounced back and fourth between a R.O.B. and a Pit. Pit keeps opponents pinned down with arrows while R.O.B. nails with the Gyro or something. Plus giving Pit the Gyro unlocks the longest Glide Toss in the game. ^_^

Plus Pit seems pretty popular in teams so finding one might not be too difficult.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
I would think GW+ROB or ROB+Lucas/Ness. GW can hold his bucket open when he's open and you can fire your lazer it through everyone and fill it up. Same idea with lucas/ness, they do their magnet trick and you fire your lazer into it, while hitting other people (bounce it off the ground if nessary). Not to mention GW is awesome at ko'ing people with his match stick and downsmash.

chckn

Smash Ace
Personally, I'd like to find someone who mains Toon Link to compliment my ROB in team matches. Not saying that Toon Link compliments ROB or is his ideal partner, but it's just that I like Toon Link. But then again, a two ROB team does sound pretty awesome.
*slaps hand* no, tl imo is one of the worst teamates for rob. He cant really tank since he's so light and at least for a semi campy rob like me thats important, and his projectiles always seem to get in the way of my play which annoys the **** out of me.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Diddy

the combo is too amazing. think of all the bananas and gyros!
i got 7th out of over 30 teams with a random diddy teammate at a C3 in virginia

chckn

Smash Ace
Diddy

the combo is too amazing. think of all the bananas and gyros!
i got 7th out of over 30 teams with a random diddy teammate at a C3 in virginia
Hmmm never thought of Diddy. Desbite the obvious advantage of being able to glide toss whenever you want pretty much, what other advantages does diddy provide?

SSBbo

Smash Journeyman
It depends if you are an over-agressive R.O.B. or a laser/gyro happy R.O.B.
If you can get a partner who can act as a tank while you provide backup, you'll want a damage-oriented character. the gyro and lasers are wonderful in teams for this, since the opponents will be preoccupied with your partner.
Find someone who complements your playing style, or even look at the characters that your opponents use and counterpick based off of that
i totally agree, if you're a campy R.O.B. play with someone that has to be aggressive or good hand-to-hand (lucario, ike, ganondorf, pikachu, etc.) but if you're aggresive, get someone campy or spammy (snake, zelda, snake, projectile-heavy link, snake, etc.) but if you're a mix, get another mix (balanced zelda, aerial-using campy snake, link, etc.).

Sudai

Stuff here
ROB racks up damage. Why team with someone who doesn't KO till 200%?

ROB lives forever. Another tank is nice, but we want a tank that can KO too. : P

chckn

Smash Ace
ROB racks up damage. Why team with someone who doesn't KO till 200%?

ROB lives forever. Another tank is nice, but we want a tank that can KO too. : P
YES, that is why the perfect teamate for ROB is.....another ROB, seriously though Ive seen that snake or gw makes a near perfect partner

From what I've heard, Fox's blaster is the only straightforward projectile that can get passed ROB's gyro. So if you throw one out there in the middle of the field it could be bad for projectile users that arn't on your team. Also I think I've seen a ROB player shoot his eye lasers under the gyro. Fox also has some KO potential, plus there's a robot in Star Fox named ROB. :laugh:
lolz at eye lazerz

fkacyan

Smash Hero
My friend's ROB recently placed 2nd in a 21 team double elim tourney by teaming with a Fox main.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
lol youre friend probably had a good rob then. I really see no serious advantage to teaming up with a fox though.
Fox can land KO moves far more easily than ROB can. He's also good for building damage, and is far faster.

And yes, my friend's ROB is excellent.

chckn

Smash Ace
Id go with a MetaKnight cause Meta is good for building dmg and a good with KOs
meta is not that good with ko's at all, he just racks up damage quickly. I really dont know how well a team like that would work out. I still stand by a heavy character that kills at low percents ie snake/gw/another rob would be best.

buenob

Smash Lord
i find snake to be an excellent partner to rob, his tilts kill too easily, and his spacing game can be played around a partner easily, rob just has to be super aggro

Top Bottom