• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
The image is slightly edited, but this line is in Banjo....Tooie I believe?
My main hangups here on Edrick is how do they plan to reveal him if the best opportunity was when DQ 11 was revealed? Isabelle was revealed with a joint reveal of the new Animal Crossing, and Joker was revealed at the VGA's around the breaking and entering theme. Once a game is revealed it just drops without celebration, no need to make a section about it on another direct when direct time is so precious. Banjos got 2 win conditions here, Rare replay and E3 if Nintendo's being thematic with their Smash reveals. I dont mind Edrick too much, dont really care about him though. Banjo fits Brave better.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
The most suspicious thing to me is Duck Hunt. I know they're on all fours while Banjo would be bipedal, but how many characters already come with a bird riding on their back? I would assume it would be easier to make duck hunt stand up than add a second model on the back of another character.
That's what I was thinking. Plus, Duck Hunt stands upright in many of their animations. They even have projectiles that can be changed to eggs. Someone actually hacked Ike with Brave's stats on Twitter. We need someone to do the same with Duck Hunt.
But when the slide and floatiness match Banjo perfectly, it’s hard to just write that off as a coincidence
Again it does match the duo well, and things are looking better for them than they ever have in the past. I just don't want to let myself down if they don't come (remember the Grinch leak?).

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
So guys: do you think Banjo will be Brave? I think it’s a strong possibility but I don’t want to get my hopes up
Hmm... well, I'd argue that it's a strong possibility.

1) There's many ways to look at how the codenames fit the characters. Some say that the first letter could match the first letter in the characters name. B for Brave and Banjo. Others say they have some other kind of connection. "Brave" CAN be used to describe Banjo&Kazooie, and they are called brave in the games themselves. Connections are there.

2) The stats (as they are now) do seem to fit nicely. That may not mean much on its own, but when you couple that with older characters previously being used as a base for newer ones and duck hunt glitches, it becomes interesting. Then you have that guy on twitter that argued against kid Erdrick being more likely than adult Erdrick. The stats wouldnt fit him that well if that were the case. But to be honest, this is a very grey area for me. Like others have pointed out, stats may be very different in the finished product.

3) Tiiming. If we assume that "Brave" is going to be revealed next, I can definitely see them waiting for E3 to do a reveal/release. Its really not that far away, especially if we dont end up getting Joker until late April. And to me, a Banjo reveal makes much more sense than an Erdrick reveal when it comes to E3.

Granted, I'm making a lot of assumptions here. MANY things have to go a certain way for it to work out, but it can definitely happen. So yeah, I really hope that Banjo is "Brave".

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
My main hangups here on Edrick is how do they plan to reveal him if the best opportunity was when DQ 11 was revealed? Isabelle was revealed with a joint reveal of the new Animal Crossing, and Joker was revealed at the VGA's around the breaking and entering theme. Once a game is revealed it just drops without celebration, no need to make a section about it on another direct when direct time is so precious. Banjos got 2 win conditions here, Rare replay and E3 if Nintendo's being thematic with their Smash reveals. I dont mind Edrick too much, dont really care about him though. Banjo fits Brave better.
That’s kind of a non-issue though. Not every character has to be revealed with a cross promotional game of some sort. Castlevania certainly didn’t have much going on when it got revealed in August.

They’ve built up Dragon Quest as of recent, so revealing Erdrick later could just be a part of the process of keeping up hype around DQ. Or maybe he just wasn’t ready for a debut seeing as DLC seems to be taking a bit and they pulled the trigger way too early on Joker.

I don’t think there really should be much of a hangup on that part of Erdrick’s potential inclusion.

The only reason I ever say differently for Banjo is the fact that he’s in a rather special and unique place just as a character and Microsoft tends to be one of the defining presences at E3 anyway. Especially this year when Sony’s not going to be there. I couldn’t imagine a much better moment for Nintendo and Microsoft to show some unity and get great PR while Sony is literally a no-show.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Yeah, I wouldn't put money on Brave being Banjo. The character's stats get thrown every which way to prove this and that, and given how long ago that data was found, I'm not sure it's going to practically mean anything to the eventual character we get.

There's just no way to say that Brave will really be any character when Joker was already such a left field pick that we all might as well be playing darts blindfolded in an attempt to figure out who's coming next.

And I still think it's a little too soon to see Banjo just pop up. I don't think he's the type of character you casually drop like that given his pedigree and relations to Nintendo and Microsoft. But, I suppose it's possible.
They revealed Cuphead during a random indie direct. I don't think Nintendo cares for "this is the perfect opportunity to do this" if they did they would have announced Erdrick when they spent 15 minutes talking about Dragon Quest the last direct.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
The thing that makes me doubt Brave is Banjo is the name. "Brave" doesn't really make me think of Banjo Kazooie. Then again someone pointed out that the other dlc fighters' codenames were all alliterations (Paku = Plant, Jack = Joker), but that feels like a stretch.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Of course, this may just turn out to be nothing but bunk and they simply used a generic term to hide whoever's coming.
I wouldn't be surprised if the line of thinking was "Brave=B=Second letter=Second Fighter's Pass character"

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Joker being Jack an assumption on its own? Unlikely, but what if he is Brave and Jack is someone else entirely?
That is why I'm not sold on Edrick being "Brave". These codenames only have a mild relation to the character. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when is Joker referred as Jack in dialogue. I assume he's the "Jack-of-all-trades" with multiple personas, but this logic can go to Banjo as well with Klungo calling them Brave and the sheer act of facing the dread witch Grunty.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That is why I'm not sold on Edrick being "Brave". These codenames only have a mild relation to the character. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but when is Joker referred as Jack in dialogue. I assume he's the "Jack-of-all-trades" with multiple personas, but this logic can go to Banjo as well with Klungo calling them Brave and the sheer act of facing the dread witch Grunty.
It could also be a reference to Jack Frost or Playing Cards in general. We don't know how significant it is. But all of those quite specifically fit Joker in an obvious way now.

Brave is far more likely to be something notable as is. The stats alone aren't enough, especially since we can't see them in action easily. I wouldn't count on Brave being Banjo at this point. But someone who actually directly relates to the word Brave.

D

Deleted member

I hope steve doesn’t get in before banjo because everyone will target polarpanda Laughing at the rumor she heard

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
We have to remember how much confirmation bias is a real ***** when it comes to how we see things. Some guy said Erdrick was in once and Erdrick was called brave once so it MUST be him. Just like how Brave has a slide like Banjo so it MUST be Banjo.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
We have to remember how much confirmation bias is a real ***** when it comes to how we see things. Some guy said Erdrick was in once and Erdrick was called brave once so it MUST be him. Just like how Brave has a slide like Banjo so it MUST be Banjo.
^This

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Brave is clearly a new character that will be introduced in the announcement for Pikmin 4.

let me dream.
Brave is secretly Merida.

Pixar rep inbound!

But seriously, if Brave is Banjo and it’s because of this film...

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I'm just not sold on Brave being Banjo. I wish I could be, but the name fits Erdrick more, given that DQ protagonists can have the default name of "brave" in Japanese, so the name has a stronger- and more obvious- connection to the character. I'm not saying it has to be Erdrick (and believe you me, I'd prefer pretty much anyone besides Erdrick- heck, I'd be happy if we got Slime instead), but the name alone makes a stronger case for a DQ character than for Banjo.

If the name really mattered, I'd expect for Banjo's codename to be something along the lines of "honey" or "mitsu" (a portion of the Japanese word for "honey"), or even "duo" or "two" (or "ni," the Japanese word for "two") since this would refer to both Banjo and Kazooie while also being the 2nd DLC fighter spot. Possibly "kuma" (Japanese word for "bear") or "back" or "pack" or "Duck Hunt echo"; you get the idea. Something that points to Banjo more than anyone else.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It could also be a reference to Jack Frost or Playing Cards in general. We don't know how significant it is. But all of those quite specifically fit Joker in an obvious way now.

Brave is far more likely to be something notable as is. The stats alone aren't enough, especially since we can't see them in action easily. I wouldn't count on Brave being Banjo at this point. But someone who actually directly relates to the word Brave.
Playing cards wouldn't make sense. Persona uses Tarot cards not playing cards. Jack Frost is a completely different character. That's like if Erdrick's codename was Luminary or slime. Makes no sense. And Jack of all trades is a stretch at best. He isn't even refered to as that in the game. And there are plenty of MCs that fill the same role. When people first saw the codename they thought it was Raiden. I wouldn't assume anything about the meaning of the codenames.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Playing cards wouldn't make sense. Persona uses Tarot cards not playing cards. Jack Frost is completely different character. That's like if Erdrick's codename was Luminary or slime. Makes no sense. And Jack of all trades is a stretch at best. He isn't even refered to as that in the game. And there are plenty of MCs that fill the same role. When people first saw the codename they thought it was Raiden. I wouldn't assume anything about the meaning of the codenames.
Jack Frost is still from a related series. Persona is a spin-off of Shin Megami Tensei. It makes quite a lot of sense. Codenames are about referencing the character and tying it to them in a logical way. All three are the only logical ways to tie it to Joker. And it doesn't matter if they use Tarot cards at all. Playing cards fits both of them perfectly, the Jack and the Joker(never mind that Tarot cards are loosely similar to Playing Cards as is, with a similar idea point, being based upon numbers as is, 1-13). What matters is that it can be directly tied to the character in some realistic way. And all 3 tie-in just fine.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If it is Erdrick then it's not much of a codename... Nobody would have got Joker from Jack, but people "easily" got Erdrick from Brave.
But we don't know if the codenames are meant to hide the characters or not which is the thing. What is also weird is how there doesn't seem to be any consistency in if they use an English name or a Japanese name. Piranha plant is Japanese, Jack is English, so is Brave. Brave is just a very loose translation of what Erdrick is actually called. So wouldn't it make more sense to use a literal translation or his Japanese name? A loose translation isn't exactly hiding it either.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I think it's more likely to be Erdrick myself. Though other ones could be something like Agumon or Yuri. I feel like the usage of Brave is more significant than just "a guy who goes on an adventure cause they can". Jack has 3 possibilities of how it fits to Joker, and each one actually ties well(playing cards, Jack Frost, and Jack of all Trades).
Agumon is the "Digimon that have the Brave Crest"
WarGreymon has the Brave Shield
Agumon ans his evolutions are the "Brave Digimon"

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
"Pro-Steve" is codeword for "Anti-Banjo"
It appears awfully petty to have that mindset. We already have 3 groups of fighters that are from separate Companies, it's not without the realm of possibility to have both of them join Smash if all parties related are interested in it happening.

There is no reason to think "if they like that character, they must detest the other one".

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Agumon is the "Digimon that have the Brave Crest"
WarGreymon has the Brave Shield
Agumon ans his evolutions are the "Brave Digimon"
Heck Sora has a stance literally called Brave. And Brave's height fits with how tall Sora is in his brave stance. I still heavily believe that Brave can be anyone still. And people just prefer Erdrick over any other choice because he was a name thrown around by people even before the fighter pass.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Heck Sora has a stance literally called Brave. And Brave's height fits with how tall Sora is in his brave stance. I still heavily believe that Brave can be anyone still. And people just prefer Erdrick over any other choice because he was a name thrown around by people even before the fighter pass.
I can see why people latch onto a leaked name a bit more than any others that fit with it. There's a small few that fit well with Brave, yeah.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Yuusha not even translates to Brave all the time.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While I don't think Banjo is Brave (I'm even agnostic on Erdrick), I would consider Banjo a form of brave idiot. His sister gets kidnapped, and all of a sudden goes into a witch's castle to get her, with no fuss or hero's journey. :p

Yes, that applies to every video game character with limited story.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
But we don't know if the codenames are meant to hide the characters or not which is the thing. What is also weird is how there doesn't seem to be any consistency in if they use an English name or a Japanese name. Piranha plant is Japanese, Jack is English, so is Brave. Brave is just a very loose translation of what Erdrick is actually called. So wouldn't it make more sense to use a literal translation or his Japanese name? A loose translation isn't exactly hiding it either.
It's likely that codenames were used to hide the identities of the characters from preventing another Roy/Ryu situation. That's the only thing that makes sense, otherwise they'd have just used their real names. What's the point in choosing something that's easily deducible?

Pakku wasn't a codename as Piranha was announced already. The only thing we have to go on is Jack/Joker. They could have a relationship but it could also be as simple as they both begin with J (which would make them more easily identifiable internally).

If I'm coming up with codenames for say Joker, Edrick, Banjo, Rayman and Leon I'd be choosing something like: Jack, Eddy, Brave, Ralph and Lenny. Ain't anybody gonna guess them, but you can easily see how those character are easily identifiable for simplicity during development.

Maybe I'm just massively overthinking it though.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
If I'm coming up with codenames for say Joker, Edrick, Banjo, Rayman and Leon I'd be choosing something like: Jack, Eddy, Brave, Ralph and Lenny. Ain't anybody gonna guess them, but you can easily see how those character are easily identifiable for simplicity during development.

"Huh, new code in the game.... What character would have the codename Homer_Simpson!?"
Then it turns out it was Shantae

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
It's likely that codenames were used to hide the identities of the characters from preventing another Roy/Ryu situation. That's the only thing that makes sense, otherwise they'd have just used their real names. What's the point in choosing something that's easily deducible?

Pakku wasn't a codename as Piranha was announced already. The only thing we have to go on is Jack/Joker. They could have a relationship but it could also be as simple as they both begin with J (which would make them more easily identifiable internally).

Maybe, but this also makes the most sense to me. People are putting way too much focus on what's been "leaked" despite everything that's happened so far. Jack and Brave are only "obvious" because of what people know/have heard.

Like you said, Pakku was the only obvious one, and the only one in Japanese. But Plant isnt part of the fighters pass. Its a very different situation.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Jack Frost is still from a related series. Persona is a spin-off of Shin Megami Tensei. It makes quite a lot of sense. Codenames are about referencing the character and tying it to them in a logical way. All three are the only logical ways to tie it to Joker. And it doesn't matter if they use Tarot cards at all. Playing cards fits both of them perfectly, the Jack and the Joker(never mind that Tarot cards are loosely similar to Playing Cards as is, with a similar idea point, being based upon numbers as is, 1-13). What matters is that it can be directly tied to the character in some realistic way. And all 3 tie-in just fine.
If you really force it, yeah they could tie in. But no one would ever have guessed Joker from the codename. Even now that we know who it is and have hindsight bias we have to stretch it. I don't think the codenames mean anything at all.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
So what do y'all think Banjo Kazooie's final smash would be? Here's my list so far:
Jinjonater
Big-O-Blaster
T Rex
Washing Machine
Giant Nuts N Bolts contraption.
Beak Bomb Barrage
Summon character like Mumbo or maybe even Grunty (she'd be a great character/assist trophy in herself)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So what do y'all think Banjo Kazooie's final smash would be? Here's my list so far:
Jinjonater
Big-O-Blaster
T Rex
Washing Machine
Beak Bomb Barrage
Summon character like Mumbo or maybe even Grunty (she'd be a great character/assist trophy in herself)
Jiggy Rain from Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing I'd probably go with Jinjonator or Beak Bomb Barrage...

...however, Washing Machine sounds like it'd be the best Final Smash...

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Jinjonater
Big-O-Blaster
T Rex
Washing Machine
Beak Bomb Barrage
Nah, Big-O-Blaster is too derivative of the Blast-O-Matic. Washing Machine and the T-Rex are prime choices though.

Top Bottom