• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MrMcNuts

Smash Ace
Big yikes...

Well, the hope I had for the limbless wonder just toke a big hit. But not too big a hit. (we've had fighters that've flopped east-wise before, right?)

...Banjo, I'm counting on you to sell me on this fighter pass!
If sakurai decided against Rayman just cause of a lack of Japanese appeal I'd be pretty salty. We got Roy and Lucas when no one else but Japan knew who they were and we learned to love em. The same could be done for Rayman and other western characters.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Considering how almost all of Ultimate's Final Smashes are more cinematic/simple, I'd say the best option for Banjo-Kazooie would be the Jinjonater.

SKX31

Smash Master
So what do y'all think Banjo Kazooie's final smash would be? Here's my list so far:
[Snip]
Giant Nuts N Bolts contraption.

100 % yes if a machine like this one is used (Starting at 19:02 where Panoots explain the machine, the machine's at 19:20):

Otherwise I'll lean towards T Rex / Washing Machine as well, with Jinjonator as a somewhat distant third.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
I can see the beak bomb being like the dash forward that scoops people up into final smashes (like K Rool's and Ridley's) followed by a cutscene attack of one of the rest.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If you really force it, yeah they could tie in. But no one would ever have guessed Joker from the codename. Even now that we know who it is and have hindsight bias we have to stretch it. I don't think the codenames mean anything at all.
Cool, but that's not what the point was. We're sure Jack is Joker, and that's how it properly ties in, in 3 possible ways.

My point was never was trying to guess what Jack could be in any way. My point was how it ties in, and what makes sense to use to figure out who Brave could be. Hindsight doesn't matter in that regard, because we're not really trying to guess who Jack is anymore. We're applying what we know now. This is about guesses of who Brave is based upon Jack specifically being Joker, not with the idea of Jack being an unknown as well.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Considering how almost all of Ultimate's Final Smashes are more cinematic/simple, I'd say the best option for Banjo-Kazooie would be the Jinjonater.
i would agree, i'd imagine maybe Banjo & Kazooie would summon the jinjos and they zoom towards an opponent who's in Banjo & Kazooie's sight, The background could change into a dark green and red storm based off Grunty's Battle from the first game were the jinjos would dash left and right through the fighters they caught shouting "Jinjo! Jinjo! Jinjo!" then from the clouds comes the Jinjonator saying "Jinja!" then dashes in front of the screen knocking out the fighter(s).

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
So what do y'all think Banjo Kazooie's final smash would be? Here's my list so far:
Jinjonater
Big-O-Blaster
T Rex
Washing Machine
Giant Nuts N Bolts contraption.
Beak Bomb Barrage
Summon character like Mumbo or maybe even Grunty (she'd be a great character/assist trophy in herself)
I’d always imagine Banjo’s final smash being Grunty’s Furnace Fun where the people trapped in it have to answer a ridiculous question where every answer is wrong. Then, they suffer a fiery fate. The time for answering questions would be really short, 5 seconds perhaps.

Banjo would be standing in the corner on the same podium Grunty was on while the fighters would be somewhere on the board. The questions of course would be displayed on the large screen in Furnace Fun with its border of the phi phenomenon lights.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
It's a huge misconception that the Banjo camp just flat out hates Minecraft

In a perfect world I'd love it if both got in! Sakurai could absolutely make Steve work as a fighter!

But if it's one or the other, I'm pulling for the two that deserve a second chance. Also 4chan's trolling really isn't helping matters either; and they always act like they're the victims when they're the ones pulling coordinated raids.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master

In a perfect world I'd love it if both got in! Sakurai could absolutely make Steve work as a fighter!

But if it's one or the other, I'm pulling for the two that deserve a second chance. Also 4chan's trolling really isn't helping matters either; and they always act like they're the victims when they're the ones pulling coordinated raids.
I have to say Steveposting is literally the only reason I don't want Steve. It's made me hate the character so much.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
They revealed Cuphead during a random indie direct. I don't think Nintendo cares for "this is the perfect opportunity to do this" if they did they would have announced Erdrick when they spent 15 minutes talking about Dragon Quest the last direct.
There’s a few degrees of magnitude between Cuphead on Switch or Dragon Quest in Smash and Banjo Kazooie in Smash.

Smash is one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises of all time, and represents the greatest gaming crossover. Banjo’s a former Nintendo character now owned by Microsoft and a character that represents a major fan favorite in the Smash community.

Cuphead, for as great as the game really is, is also just an indie title backed by Microsoft. It’s popular and a big hit that is absolutely a big deal being on Nintendo, but it also basically got to headline that last indie Direct as is.

They saved Master Chief Collection on Steam for the Xbox conference as well.

Banjo in Smash would be such a fundamentally unique narrative in gaming that it’s one of the few things related to Smash I think would be intentionally timed for maximum effect. You have two of the biggest names in the industry not only actively working together, but actively putting one of their personal IPs in a competitor’s biggest IPs. That’s not the sort of thing that happens really ever. It’s a moment that will generate hype and good press if it happens. Same would go for like Master Chief in Smash. That’s an announcement with more weight than basically any other character I can think of. So I think Banjo would be the exception and the special instance where they pay more attention to his reveal.

Dragon Quest is less monumental given that Square Enix is already involved in Smash and the series has closer established titles to Nintendo at this point. Plus, the series doesn’t have the same popularity in the West, so it’s less of a big deal. Also, I know some people took victory laps when we didn’t get a DQ announcement when they talked about it in February. But given Joker’s current predictament, it would have made zero sense to have announced Erdrick at the time when he’d be months out still as well. And that would have gone for all other characters at that point.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I had a thought about the Jinjonator the other day as a special feature on Banjo & Kazooie's stage (especially if it was Spiral Mountain) where Jinjos are spread throughout the level in different areas like the waterfall or the bridge in front of it or the stumps, quarry, wherever! And players fight amongst themselves to 'rescue' all five (or nine if you wanted it to be the nine Jinjo families from Banjo-Tooie but that might be a bit much lol) and if someone manages to collect all five themselves before anyone else, when the stage reaches the top of Gruntilda's Lair where Gruntilda is waiting to attack the players and spew trivia and insults, the Jinjonator is summoned and will bash Gruntilda away and attack the battlefield, insta-KOing all the opponents who were unable to save the Jinjos! It wouldn't activate unless all the Jinjos were saved by one player and one player only! So if anyone else caught a Jinjo and broke their combo, the Jinjonator wouldn't be summoned. So it's a very difficult task but it comes with a big payoff with a powerful insta-KO when it hits an opponent! And it'd be kinda like the Summons on Midgar for Final Fantasy VII! Just a thought. Personally, my ideal Final Smash for Banjo & Kazooie would be Mumbo Jumbo and Humba Wumba being summoned together and transforming Banjo & Kazooie into Daddy T-Rex whose roar stuns anybody in front of them and then stampedes across the stage knocking everyone away!

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I like Steveposting when it's done jokingly, to be honest I find that render sorta funny on its own, though I'd only use it in stupid jokes myself since I'd prefer using the actual Steve.

The trolls using it to attack others are annoying, though. They also make themselves look like a joke by using it, as it'd feel like a joke entirely if they weren't being rude.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
There’s a few degrees of magnitude between Cuphead on Switch or Dragon Quest in Smash and Banjo Kazooie in Smash.

Smash is one of Nintendo’s biggest franchises of all time, and represents the greatest gaming crossover. Banjo’s a former Nintendo character now owned by Microsoft and a character that represents a major fan favorite in the Smash community.

Cuphead, for as great as the game really is, is also just an indie title backed by Microsoft. It’s popular and a big hit that is absolutely a big deal being on Nintendo, but it also basically got to headline that last indie Direct as is.

They saved Master Chief Collection on Steam for the Xbox conference as well.

Banjo in Smash would be such a fundamentally unique narrative in gaming that it’s one of the few things related to Smash I think would be intentionally timed for maximum effect. You have two of the biggest names in the industry not only actively working together, but actively putting one of their personal IPs in a competitor’s biggest IPs. That’s not the sort of thing that happens really ever. It’s a moment that will generate hype and good press if it happens. Same would go for like Master Chief in Smash. That’s an announcement with more weight than basically any other character I can think of. So I think Banjo would be the exception and the special instance where they pay more attention to his reveal.

Dragon Quest is less monumental given that Square Enix is already involved in Smash and the series has closer established titles to Nintendo at this point. Plus, the series doesn’t have the same popularity in the West, so it’s less of a big deal. Also, I know some people took victory laps when we didn’t get a DQ announcement when they talked about it in February. But given Joker’s current predictament, it would have made zero sense to have announced Erdrick at the time when he’d be months out still as well. And that would have gone for all other characters at that point.
I just still think it was weird how they treated Dragon Quest as the 2nd coming of Jesus and didn't use that time to make a smash announcement.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Steveposting makes no difference to me not wanting Steve. I don't find soulless skins in general appealing as characters. I like to play as characters I sincerely care about.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
I'd obviously prefer Banjo over Steve, and if the latter came in over Banjo, I'd be a little bit pissed to be completely honest. But this feud is getting pretty toxic. I'd love for both to be in, and a Minecraft avatar would have a very unique moveset.

Btw I say avatar because Steve is just one of many skins for your player in Minecraft. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the character was just called "Minecraft" like "Duck Hunt" (we're always going back to that character huh? Lol).

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Cool, but that's not what the point was. We're sure Jack is Joker, and that's how it properly ties in, in 3 possible ways.

My point was never was trying to guess what Jack could be in any way. My point was how it ties in, and what makes sense to use to figure out who Brave could be. Hindsight doesn't matter in that regard, because we're not really trying to guess who Jack is anymore. We're applying what we know now. This is about guesses of who Brave is based upon Jack specifically being Joker, not with the idea of Jack being an unknown as well.
I must have worded my post poorly. What I meant to imply was that with how much of a stretch Jack is for Joker, Brave could be any number of characters. The only reason we connect Jack to Joker is because we intentionally stretch it to fit. It only seems like a plausible connection because we know who it is. There are a number of characters who would make way more sense for Jack than Joker, so why are we assuming Brave will be an obvious fit? Brave for Banjo fits about as well as Jack for Joker.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
Take this with a huge grain of salt as always, but GamingIntel are reporting that a Nintendo Direct will happen this Thursday, the 11th
https://twitter.com/gamingintelcom/status/1115007065829859328?s=21
They were wrong about the January Direct so I wouldn't really call them reliable? Still I'd imagine they'd want to have just one more Direct with Reggie before he rides off into the sunset, so I certainly think a Direct this month is certainly possible.

BZocky

Smash Ace
They were wrong about the January Direct so I wouldn't really call them reliable? Still I'd imagine they'd want to have just one more Direct with Reggie before he rides off into the sunset, so I certainly think a Direct this month is certainly possible.

They got the date of this year's Nindie direct, the last Smash direct, and both the original plus delayed dates of the September direct correct so I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt this time around

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I must have worded my post poorly. What I meant to imply was that with how much of a stretch Jack is for Joker, Brave could be any number of characters. The only reason we connect Jack to Joker is because we intentionally stretch it to fit. It only seems like a plausible connection because we know who it is. There are a number of characters who would make way more sense for Jack than Joker, so why are we assuming Brave will be an obvious fit? Brave for Banjo fits about as well as Jack for Joker.
It's not a stretch for Joker at all to be tied to Jack via three potential ways. They're all notable things that tie to him. We're already led to believe Jack is Joker due to the datamines and him being the next character coming out. It's highly unlikely that it'd be anyone else at this point. There's really no reason to believe that it could mean anyone else either. It's like a 99% chance Jack and Joker are the same.

Of course Brave could be any number of characters, but there's little reason to believe it's a character that doesn't significantly tie to the word Brave in some way.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

The fact that the blockheads(fake Steve fans) are always antagonizing Banjo fans just shows that they do not care for the game. It's all about pissing everyone off. It's even more pathetic when they praise their own posts under a different anon. Some even pose as fans of other characters, namely Incineroar and Plant because they essentially debunked the Grinch leak. They even have the gall to act like Geno fans, which baffles the heck outta me. You can always tell a Blockhead is near when you hear the same tired arguments of Relevance and Game Sales, regardless of what face they put on that's convenient at the time. Those fools couldn't articulate themselves out of a wet cardboard box. I dont want Steve for many reasons, but I simply dont want them the satisfaction of winning.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I just still think it was weird how they treated Dragon Quest as the 2nd coming of Jesus and didn't use that time to make a smash announcement.
How did they treat Dragon Quest as "the second coming of Jesus?" They showed off Dragon Quest Builders 2 and then gave a spotlight to Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition. That's all they did. Which makes a lot of sense given the fact that the game is the original title announced for the Switch, is one of the biggest third party games coming to Switch in the near future, and also acted as the formal announcement of an English release of this edition. It warranted its own section, but I don't see anything there that's some extreme special treatment.

And again, why would you announce your next Smash character when you're nowhere near ready for the release of the character you've already announced? The February Nintendo Direct just clearly wasn't a time to announce a new character in the development process and they even said they'd have more to announce with Dragon Quest in the future, so if they want to pair it with the more info, they absolutely can.

I'm not convinced we're getting DQ content in Smash though. I think it makes a lot of sense to get it and I support it, but not convinced. But I also don't think it's reasonable to count the series out just because it didn't show up at this event or any of the other ones that people have claimed it needed to show up at. It's a big series with lots of information and stuff to come in the future, it's hardly time to count the series out or not happening.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Of course they're reliable--I remember fondly of the N64 classic with Rare games announced after the November Direct! :chuckle:

If these are the "insiders" I'm recalling, apparently they post every rumor they hear from their sources, without checking or corroborating. So while they have some hits, they have a lot of misses as well. Still, I figured we may have a Direct this week after the Best Buy Direct.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Give peace a chance?

Probably won't happen but it's worth a shot

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Give peace a chance?

Probably won't happen but it's worth a shot

They need to stop giving Steve faces because it looks creepy no matter how they do it.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
It's not a stretch for Joker at all to be tied to Jack via three potential ways. They're all notable things that tie to him. We're already led to believe Jack is Joker due to the datamines and him being the next character coming out. It's highly unlikely that it'd be anyone else at this point. There's really no reason to believe that it could mean anyone else either. It's like a 99% chance Jack and Joker are the same.

Of course Brave could be any number of characters, but there's little reason to believe it's a character that doesn't significantly tie to the word Brave in some way.
I think you and I just have different opinions of what constitutes a stretch.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
I think Jack to Joker makes perfect sense from a codename perspective. Both are playing cards and start with J. Brave is way more ambiguous.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I had a thought about the Jinjonator the other day as a special feature on Banjo & Kazooie's stage (especially if it was Spiral Mountain) where Jinjos are spread throughout the level in different areas like the waterfall or the bridge in front of it or the stumps, quarry, wherever! And players fight amongst themselves to 'rescue' all five (or nine if you wanted it to be the nine Jinjo families from Banjo-Tooie but that might be a bit much lol) and if someone manages to collect all five themselves before anyone else, when the stage reaches the top of Gruntilda's Lair where Gruntilda is waiting to attack the players and spew trivia and insults, the Jinjonator is summoned and will bash Gruntilda away and attack the battlefield, insta-KOing all the opponents who were unable to save the Jinjos! It wouldn't activate unless all the Jinjos were saved by one player and one player only! So if anyone else caught a Jinjo and broke their combo, the Jinjonator wouldn't be summoned. So it's a very difficult task but it comes with a big payoff with a powerful insta-KO when it hits an opponent! And it'd be kinda like the Summons on Midgar for Final Fantasy VII! Just a thought. Personally, my ideal Final Smash for Banjo & Kazooie would be Mumbo Jumbo and Humba Wumba being summoned together and transforming Banjo & Kazooie into Daddy T-Rex whose roar stuns anybody in front of them and then stampedes across the stage knocking everyone away!
That doesn't really fit with Ultimate's MO with Final Smashes, which is to make them more quick and simple, and that essentially means getting rid of/re-purposing transformative ones.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
That doesn't really fit with Ultimate's MO with Final Smashes, which is to make them more quick and simple, and that essentially means getting rid of/re-purposing transformative ones.
It’d be more like Ganondorf’s Final Smash combined with Fox, Falco, and Wolf’s, quick movie of Mumbo and Humba being summoned, transform Banjo & Kazooie, roar, then slam across the stage.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
It’d be more like Ganondorf’s Final Smash combined with Fox, Falco, and Wolf’s, quick movie of Mumbo and Humba being summoned, transform Banjo & Kazooie, roar, then slam across the stage.
I see the Jinjonator as a fire and forget FS. Just press B and a bunch of Jinjos fly in random directions with the big boy crashing on the stage. Alternatively I see a cinematic FS where once the target is hit, they go to the top of Grunty's tower and get blasted by the witch in a bombing run on her broom.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I feel like maybe Banjo and Kazooie using Wonderwing and shooting forward horizontally and blowing anyone in their path away would be a nice one

Top Bottom