• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie: Dynamic Jiggy Duo - Project Dream

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So there is this leak going around that Bomberman is going to be one of the new DLC characters. While he is an icon I would be pretty disappointed with a third party character who isn't Banjo and Kazooie. I suppose the wonderful thing about leaks is that they are false 99% of the time. But still given how close we are to knowing their fate I can't help but be nervous.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly never believed that Banjo and Kazooie were possible; however, I decided that it was people such as myself that were confirming a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. I put all of my remaining votes in for Banjo. Hopefully my dream becomes reality.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So there is this leak going around that Bomberman is going to be one of the new DLC characters. While he is an icon I would be pretty disappointed with a third party character who isn't Banjo and Kazooie. I suppose the wonderful thing about leaks is that they are false 99% of the time. But still given how close we are to knowing their fate I can't help but be nervous.
Let me guess, it's another of them self frabricated leaks from 4Chan?

Rueckkoppler

Smash Journeyman
Let me guess, it's another of them self frabricated leaks from 4Chan?
That's why I don't like to call them "leaks". In most cases they don't "leak" from somewhere, but much rather get intentionally faked & spreaded for the sake of attention. The classic "rumor" might be the better word. :p

But concerning any announcements, a user from the Playtonic forums wrote some fitting stuff:

GrayMagicΓ said:
Going off of their release schedule and what we know about how post-Melee Smash games are developed, they probably work on an entire batch of DLC characters at a time, and its been a decent amount of time since the last ones so either
A) they started on the characters that were both ahead by a mile earlier on in the poll and easy to get the rights to or
B) they've been working on more Nintendo-owned or partially Nintendo-owned (like Mewtwo) characters in the meantime. If this is true and they release around November, that's a 5-6 month gap since the last DLC characters. If you add another 5-6 months to that, they would complete the ballot DLC characters around May-June, right when E3 2016 is. November 2015 for the characters currently under construction also gives them a month or two to negotiate rights and do early planning for third party characters; the design phase should take longer than the others due to no earlier appearances (except for Snake) and having every decision approved by Nintendo, Sakurai, and whoever holds the rights to the character.

So unless we go a year without new characters or they started the ballot characters before the ballot ended, I think you're right, an E3 "here's the new characters, releasing... NOW!" route seems the way to go.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Mohendra sounds like an early draft of Mayahem Temple, only with the sidescrolling sections changed to FPS parts due to the change of platform and the popularity of Rare's other shooters. In addition, fighting Mumbo, transforming Kazooie and getting rid of Bottles all made it into Tooie in some way, while Fiery Furnace sounds as though it may potentially have inspired both Grunty Industries and Hailfire Peaks.

Interesting stuff but I am dissapointed in the lack of that toaster transformation.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I never voted for Banjo, BUT... I am a closet supporter. My votes all lie with an older Rare character, however, I would be beyond ecstatic if the duo made it in.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
With the ballot now closed and every vote probably in the process of being counted, we can hope that the team would notice that collection of votes for the duo. All that's left is for Sakurai or any of the higher ups to negotiate with Phil or any other Microsoft big wig about the possibilities of the two having their first Nintendo appearance in years. This is our Project Dream and we should hope that it doesn't go to waste like the original product.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I just think the fact that Microsoft owns the rights to Banjo-Kazooie is the only real hurdle. If the two were still with Nintendo, they'd probably be seen as a shoo-in almost as much as nearly any other potential first-party newcomer (e.g. King K. Rool, Isaac).

I've seen Banjo-Kazooie do pretty well in a lot of polls as of late, and though they aren't always near the very top, I think anyone can see they've still got a lot of support.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
On source gaming they actually had an article about the criteria for selecting third parties. One of the stipulations was that both companies need to want the character(s) to be included. After reading that I once again am sure the fact they are owned by Microsoft is not that big of an issue. I mean Sakurai considered the duo for Melee and Phil Spencer has expressed his interest in having them participate. So it's pretty safe to assume that they pass on that front even though technically Nintendo and Microsoftare are competitors.

Fire_Voyager

Smash Journeyman
I believe that even if Banjo isn't on the TOP of the ballot, having him as DLC might cause more hype (and sales) than getting other characters (like the returning ones, except Snake)...
so if the rule of "agreement" is clear, we might can see the Duo soon

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
On source gaming they actually had an article about the criteria for selecting third parties. One of the stipulations was that both companies need to want the character(s) to be included. After reading that I once again am sure the fact they are owned by Microsoft is not that big of an issue. I mean Sakurai considered the duo for Melee and Phil Spencer has expressed his interest in having them participate. So it's pretty safe to assume that they pass on that front even though technically Nintendo and Microsoftare are competitors.
Of course, they have always been a distinct possibility. The real issue, I suppose, is whether or not Phil Spencer will be accommodating and allow Sakurai the aforementioned creative license. Given that Nuts and Bolts is a thing, I somewhat believe that Microsoft is not too protective of the IP. Sakurai has to also want Banjo, which is where my concerns lie. He wanted him before, but that was prior to the rights transferring, correct?

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Yes I believe he was considered but not included due to "adult circumstances" which means that it was most likely due to the buyout. I would assume that for Phil Spencer to say he wants him in he would probably recognize that Sakurai was most likely going to use the Nintendo design but you never know it could be an issue.

Morbi

Scavenger
The results are finally here:, tag me so I can hear your thoughts!
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/08/sgpollingresults1/
I am surprised that Bomberman was ranked, ever so slightly, higher than Banjo and Kazooie. If any third-party character (non-veteran) was to top Banjo, I figured it would be Rayman because of the trophies. Regardless, that bolsters my confidence somewhat. The only characters ahead of him are veterans and the front-runners. Which, for all intents and purposes, is not relevant to Banjo and his chances. As long as he is the top third-party character, I am happy.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I am surprised that Bomberman was ranked, ever so slightly, higher than Banjo and Kazooie. If any third-party character (non-veteran) was to top Banjo, I figured it would be Rayman because of the trophies. Regardless, that bolsters my confidence somewhat. The only characters ahead of him are veterans and the front-runners. Which, for all intents and purposes, is not relevant to Banjo and his chances. As long as he is the top third-party character, I am happy.
Spazzy_D Spazzy_D ballot rigging confirmed :troll:

SilverWolf7

Smash Apprentice
So I have read and heard of this rumour about a first party DLC character being revealed this month within the next two weeks or so.

....but I've seen no source of this rumour. So why is it such a big fuss to where even GameXPlain makes a video on it? Is there a link someone can provide me?

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
So I have read and heard of this rumour about a first party DLC character being revealed this month within the next two weeks or so.

....but I've seen no source of this rumour. So why is it such a big fuss to where even GameXPlain makes a video on it? Is there a link someone can provide me?
To be fair GameXplain makes videos on everything and sometimes they have to make follow up videos about being wrong. There isn't anything significant. Just some guy with a name along the lines of Stealth on Twitter saying a few things. Basically smash speculation as usual. People may be more susceptible to rumors because the ballot recently ended and Rogersbase apparently tweeted that he knows upcoming Nintendo news. Again, people of course take it to mean something smash related. Could be, but that's all there really is to this

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

Just going to repost BKupa's take on the situation here.

BKupa666 said:
Considering everything has been thrown into a tizzy of misinformation by the usual potpourri of crazies and skeptics, I figured I'd throw together a simple fact sheet to help clear up confusion in this thread.

What Happened:

--Roger tweeted first, late on Oct. 5, that he received "exciting Nintendo news." He later elaborated that the news was "an 8-9 on a hype scale," "would be coming in the next two weeks," and "we'd know when we see it." He does not mention Smash, but never says it is not Smash-related.

--Stealth tweets later the next morning, saying he knows the next Smash character, that it's coming "soon," clarified as "next two weeks" as well. He says this is a Nintendo newcomer that he doesn't think "won the ballot," but is "the character who makes a whole lot of sense for a whole lot of reasons." He elaborates that this character is "a big deal," is not "a clone or a disappointment" or "shocking." He refuses to comment on the character's gender.

--Stealth made tweets saying "If the character were Shantae, Shovel Knight or Wolf, I'd have hung myself by now," as well as that "the character would have eventually made it into Smash." He later deleted both comments.

--The same afternoon, TheRealZef comments that "Smash is about to make social media go insane" and to "get hype because everyone's about to be happy." He comments that "he hopes it doesn't leak so people can go insane," and that "Stealth isn't the only one who knows about this." He says that "he doesn't think this character won the ballot," but rather than because of the character's identity, he says it's because "otherwise they wouldn't be ready just two weeks after it closed."

--Before clamming up, Zef clarifies that "he doesn't think it can leak unless the person with the info decides to spill" and that all he can say on the matter is "connections with connections." Of note, another guy, Aversy_Tweets, says "he knows and knows Roger knows," but is confident the latter will keep quiet.

--Later still, Roger gets exasperated with fanatics harassing him on Twitter just because of him saying "Cool Nintendo news in two or so weeks," saying "It's cool news, mind you, but the hype drought has made people crazy."

--He makes a facetious post saying "OMG ROGER KNOWS ALL BALLOT WINNERS AND ISN'T TELLING," saying that if he did, that would be a 10/10 for hype. In the process, he favorites a bunch of stuff from Stealth and Zef, who are also laughing at the fan overreaction online.

--All the while, head Smashboards mod Warchamp is making posts to Roger and Stealth, making fun of the fanatics. His jokes are mostly Inkling-related..."HE SAID DROUGHT, DROUGHT = NO WATER, WATER = INKLINGS!"

The Participants:

--Roger worked at Nintendo years ago and runs the Japan Time podcast. He has had his roots in the gaming industry for a long time now, and has undoubtedly made a handful of connections along the way. I've only seen a few of his videos, but Roger is a big fan of Lanky Kong (passively supports "DK Rep" getting in the game), and people have been saying he's a big Inklings fan too (which I haven't heard a source for, but can buy).

--Stealth is a "Video Game Enthusiast" who has made legitimate statements before, about occurrences at a private Splatoon event he got to attend with other big game media names. I don't have the source in front of me, but apparently he spilled that there would be a surprise Nintendo Direct early last April, which there was despite no expectation of one. He has trolled GameFAQs before under the name of RPGrinder, and has posted on Twitter that he voted for "K. Rool, Inklings, Isaac, Malo and Andy."

--I have no idea who this Zef guy is. He has tweeted that "he has never trolled about Smash before if it makes people feel better," but has no credibility to his name that I know of. No idea who he supports

--No idea about this Averys_Tweets guy.

--Warchamp was one of the first people to have access to the ESRB leaked videos before they went viral.

The Bull****:

--LOL ROGER SED IT WUZNT BOUT SMASH: False. He said nothing one way or the other, other than that "the news wasn't Skull Kid getting revealed for HW." Gullible people fell into the trap of Poe's Law in reading his tweet about the Smash fanatics who expect him to be omnipotent where the Smash ballot is concerned.

--LOL STEALTH PIGGIE BAKKED ROGER AND IZ JUST A RANDO TROLL: It is true that Stealth's tweets came after Roger's initial ones about having 8-9 hype-scale news. However, not only were Roger's tweets not some big thing to piggyback off of at the time (this only really blew up after I posted about it in here), but Roger and Stealth seem to be on friendly terms, openly talking about Japan Time and TV Shows on the social network, as well as favoriting each other's stuff. Whether you question his credibility, Stealth is not just some random guy.

--LOL STEALTH HATES K. ROOL SO NO CHANCE IS THIS HIM: False. Stealth said he voted for K. Rool, has defended his costume on GameFAQs and has said that "K. Rool and Isaac are needed to save Smash DLC."

Other Stuff:

--I don't know whether he's trolling here or has changed his opinion since then, but in a thread asking if a list of 5 characters including K. Rool were Top 5 Most Wanted, he said no to all except Isaac. If he's serious, then K. Rool isn't ruled out in his mind by the "this character probably didn't win." None of the tweets I've found from him thus far clarify whether he feels K. Rool is a character who would "eventually get into Smash."

--Warchamp's joking about the Inklings makes me think...if he and all these guys have legitimate info and he's just casually throwing that name around, it's not them. If he were doing this and Inklings was the character, the Nintendo Ninjas would be on him like white on rice.

Will add onto this later if more stuff comes up. I think it's pretty comprehensive as it stands, and I hope it gives people the clarity they need to not run around making s*** up.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
So partly out of boredom on waiting for any news and partly out of the fact that this thread died, I was wondering how my fellow Banjo fans feel about their chances now that the ballot has concluded. Personally I feel his chances are better than people give him credit for I almost feel it's 50% because I can see it going either way.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Is it too late to join the Jinjo House? I can see myself fitting in with the Black Crowd very well since you know what they say. :awesome:

But jokes aside, I love Banjo's universe and all its quirky characters era (Gruntilda being my personal favorite). That humor was always subtle yet cheesy and the gameplay was great for what it was in the past. I even still own the original copies of the three games (including Nuts & Bolts) plus Rare Replay on my Xbone. These two were born for Smash and it's a shame that Microsoft had held them hostage since the buyout with the series being left alone since N&B.

So would you kindly add me to the list JamesDNaux JamesDNaux ?

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
So partly out of boredom on waiting for any news and partly out of the fact that this thread died, I was wondering how my fellow Banjo fans feel about their chances now that the ballot has concluded. Personally I feel his chances are better than people give him credit for I almost feel it's 50% because I can see it going either way.
I feel like Banjo isn't very likely. Not saying it can't happen but I just don't think it will. I know a lot of people voted for the bear are bird so at least Nintendo will take note of their popularity.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
To be honest... I think they just have a decent chance. I've had a mentality from the start that Banjo-Kazooie just aren't getting into Smash, and I still have it. I won't be mad if they don't win, but I won't be surprised either. I'd still love to see them in Smash, it just doesn't feel terribly realistic to me.

There are definitely characters that will have a more difficult time competing with the duo though, and given B-K's popularity in fan polls (as well as the fact people usually voted for more than one character in the ballot), they do stand some chance. I just don't know how well they can compete with the likes of K. Rool, Isaac, Wolf, the Inklings, or even Snake.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Personally I'm of the party that Snake is gone for good. I mean Snake only got in because Sakurai and Kojima were friends so now that he doesn't work there I just don't see him returning, but I'd love to be wrong. I certainly wish Isaac and Banjo would make it in together that would be my dream though it saddens me to think they're competing against each other. I suppose all that is left is to survive the drought on info.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Personally I'm of the party that Snake is gone for good. I mean Snake only got in because Sakurai and Kojima were friends so now that he doesn't work there I just don't see him returning, but I'd love to be wrong. I certainly wish Isaac and Banjo would make it in together that would be my dream though it saddens me to think they're competing against each other. I suppose all that is left is to survive the drought on info.
Well, yeah, that's why I said "or even Snake." I understand he isn't likely to come back, but he still seems pretty popular in all the polls I've seen. He probably won't come back, but at the same time he just might.

It was just a point that other characters could pose a threat by popularity or otherwise, you know, all that.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I find it unlikely that Nintendo would market a Microsoft IP when Microsoft likely said no to supporting DK and Bowser in Skylanders on their platform.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I find it unlikely that Nintendo would market a Microsoft IP when Microsoft likely said no to supporting DK and Bowser in Skylanders on their platform.
Are you sure it wouldn't have been Nintendo who stopped that from happening?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Are you sure it wouldn't have been Nintendo who stopped that from happening?
I don't see why they would. The gameplay would have been the exact same on all platforms. It's not like DK and Bowser would be doing different things on Xbox that Nintendo didn't OK themselves. If anything it's just extra marketing for DK and Bowser.

A big part of Skylanders is that you can use any toy on any platform. DK and Bowser being exclusive has caused a lot of controversy amongst Skylanders fans. I don't think the exclusivity is something Activision would have wanted themselves. It seems more likely it came about as a result of Sony and Microsoft not wanting Nintendo IPs on their systems.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Would Nintendo really want Donkey Kong and Bowser appearing on a Microsoft platform? That seems unlikely to me.

Sure I could see the other way around but I would have thought Nintendo would keep their IPs close to their chest when it comes to rival companies.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
M$ didn't say no to DK and Bowser, they're Nintendo characters, exclusive to Nintendo consoles.

One developer proposed Link and Samus as guests in their fighting game exclusive to the GameCube version, but when they showed it to Nintendo they used a PS2 to demonstrate. Nintendo understandably lost it and refused to let them use the characters.

M$ seems more lenient with their stuff at least, since Banjo has had appearances on Nintendo handhelds past the Rare buyout and there was even a Halo game planned for the DS once. It's really up to Nintendo and Sakurai if Banjo has any chance in Smash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom