• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters
Looks like you're grasping at straws to barely fill his special move set. Tanooki tail??? A item that's already in smash, and yes I know in one of the Mario 3DS games, Goomba's used Tanooki tails because it was the item that every enemy used, but this is not a unique attribute to them. This isn't even mentioning how a character needs a unique feel to all of his A attacks and bring something new and refreshing to the roster. Sorry, he does not fill the requirements of #3.

I didn't bring that up to derail BWD's thread.

To further elaborate on this, #3's specifics is not: "Is it possible to fill up his special attacks?"

But more along the lines "Does the character have something inherently unique about them? Can that be used to make Smash Bros. interesting?" (to quote Sakurai directly)

That is crucial for a moveset at this point with DLC. Bandana Dee would be one of the only spear wielders, I'm sure of which (beyond the easy to fill Special moves) would be as much fun to make, as it would be to play. Characters aren't just special moves. A lot of care and time goes into the basic attacks to their smash attacks to make them feel truly special.

SO again, when someone mentions the validity and chance of a basic goomba getting in smash's roster. I lol hard.
That moveset was a joke. Don't take it seriously.

Last edited:

RetroBro

Smash Ace
That moveset was a joke. Don't take it seriously.
The joke wasn't translated very well I guess. After so many people seriously debating him, I took it seriously.. I r dum lol. My bad.

Last edited:
Good read, unfortunately a lot of people take their own word as gospel.

1. Looks to see if he can use them
  2. Sees if they are popular enough; is the character actually obscure?
  3. If they have a moveset
  4. Fill a niche/ ‘role’ in the roster
  5. Favorable to development
  6. If not 5 can they be made into a clone if there’s extra time in development?
  7. Are they relevant or retro? (ties into 4 somewhat)

It's hard to actually qualify and quantify some of these requirements. Most of us do not have any knowledge when it comes to knowing 5 or 6.

2, 4, and 7 can easily stir emotions when it comes to arguing. Whether or not people can actually objectively understand their character's position in the world of gaming, it takes a lot of guts to admit things. I for one am a huge fan of Geno, but I know as the clock continues to tick, he only becomes more obscure (regardless of any cult followings that he has). Arguments of relevancy (#7) always become flame wars, how do you judge such a thing? The amount of time a character had gone without a game (See K. Rool), or is being the OG villain enough to permanently obtain that relevancy?

3 is, in my opinion, the easiest criteria to fill for most characters. And in my opinion BWD's biggest strength.

Although the Goomba thing earlier still makes me chuckle, I forget who mentioned it.
1. Sakurai could make Bandana Dee an anti-air character, and a character without multiple jumps, something no Kirby character have done before.
2. Bandana Dee is become more popular as we speak, his popularity is rivaling the likes of King K. Rool and Issac.
3. Kirby's Return to Dreamland pretty much writes Bandana Dee's movement for itself. Also, since Kirby and Super Smash Bros. have very similar game mechanics, so Sakurai use so much manpower for Bandana Dee.
4. Bandana Dee is a spear wielder, something no character in Super Smash Bros. has used. He's have more range than the other characters who use a weapon.
5. Bandana Dee is very similar to Kirby in appearance. So Sakurai and his team could use Kirby's model, and make some oblivious changes (his height, eye color, skin color, his spear,etc).
6. No, Bandana Dee can't be a clone of anyone.
7. Unlike most popular characters in the ballot, Bandana Dee is relevant. His last appearance was Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, which was release earlier this year. Meaning, many people, old AND new, have probably seen Bandana Dee before.

So inclusion, Bandana Dee makes six out of seven of the requirements. Making him a good choice for DLC.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82-boRNll7I
I know this isn't related to Kirby, but oh well.
Don't you see how much love :4littlemac: gotten from Sakurai and the Smash team? He didn't just give Little Mac, some random punches,and called it a day.
No, he made the Bruiser of the Bronx act and move like normal boxers. So just image the same amount of love given to Bandana Dee and his spear movements.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
OMG! A NEW LEAK!!!1!

It's great, there's so much fluidity too, by the way, did you hear that Sakurai mentioned Waddle Dee being a potential character in Smash during an interview? It's from a while ago, but I thought it may be notable! :)

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
It's great, there's so much fluidity too, by the way, did you hear that Sakurai mentioned Waddle Dee being a potential character in Smash during an interview? It's from a while ago, but I thought it may be notable! :)
Have a link to the past? :4link:

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
If you are talking about the Wolf thing, he was talking about a normal Waddle Dee and he mentioned that as an example of a bad character request.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
What do you mean with the "Goomba thing". Is it something like "even a Goomba can have moveset"?

B: Tanooki Tail
>B: Headbonk
^B: Paragoomba
>B: Goomba's Shoe
Final Smash: Mega Goomba
You can't have a Goomba moveset that doesn't include psychokinetically throwing baseballs. I see where you're coming from, though. I think a Goomba could have interesting moveset. I just hope he wouldn't die if he gets footstooled.

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
You can't have a Goomba moveset that doesn't include psychokinetically throwing baseballs. I see where you're coming from, though. I think a Goomba could have interesting moveset. I just hope he wouldn't die if he gets footstooled.
fun concept would be if goombas were super easy to kill but goomba would have to die like 4 times for it to count up as one whole point/death

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
So he didn't like Kyrstal I see...
I'm pretty sure Sakurai stated "Krystal by the time of development in Brawl, Wolf was more accessible to make into a fighter then Krystal, as she essentially would have to be made mostly from scratch, rather than Wolf who could take assets from Fox"

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm pretty sure Sakurai stated "Krystal by the time of development in Brawl, Wolf was more accessible to make into a fighter then Krystal, as she essentially would have to be made mostly from scratch, rather than Wolf who could take assets from Fox"
I know, I'm just poking fun at Chandelure's statement. ;) Since Sakurai never said Waddle Dee was a "bad" character request. He just said, it wouldn't happen.

Last edited:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
If you are talking about the Wolf thing, he was talking about a normal Waddle Dee and he mentioned that as an example of a bad character request.
And it's important to note that the most important individual Waddle Dee at that time was still the one from Kirby 64, whose playable status in his own game (one with which Sakurai was involved to some degree) was removed long before it was finished and released.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Learn to read and understand the information, please.
Don't worry, I know what you mean, it was a normal Waddle Dee, but Sakurai never said it was a Bad request, he just used him as an example. I was just correcting you as it was slightly wrong. Although I do see how you could misunderstand what I'm saying so please, my apologies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Don't worry, I know what you mean, it was a normal Waddle Dee, but Sakurai never said it was a Bad request, he just used him as an example. I was just correcting you as it was slightly wrong. Although I do see how you could misunderstand what I'm saying so please, my apologies.
Baby Peach and Dry Bones confirmed to be good characters requests.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Baby Peach and Dry Bones confirmed to be good characters requests.
Oh, that's right, they were so breifly brought up I didn't bring them up. Okay everyone forget everything I just said, Chandy just won.
BABY PINK GOLD DRY PEACH FOR SMASH 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
The good thing about that article is that Sakurai said Wolf was chosen because his model was easy to make thanks to Fox's, Bandana Dee's model would be even easier thanks to his shape and Kirby's model.

Also the fact that he mentioned a Waddle Dee first, that's pretty random, Sakurai is always thinking about Waddle Dees :yeahboi:

Tortilla Noggin

Smash Obsessed
Pssh, get Baby Peach and Dry Bones outta here.

Pink Gold Metal Dry Baby Shrek confirmed.
BABY PINK GOLD DRY PEACH FOR SMASH 15!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You guys say that in jest now, but Mario Kart 8's DLC Pack 2 brought with it an ill omen for that series' roster's future (as if it's not bad enough already right now). In the background of the retro track, Baby Park, there is a horror beyond measure: Pink Gold Baby Rosalina.

You mark my words, that thing's joining Mario Kart in the future, and some day it may very well be a threat to Smash, too. :evil:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
This can only mean one thing... Blue Silver Baby Dark Metal Dr. Mario & Knuckles confirmed for DLC.

Last edited:

Hypernovaguy64

Smash Lord
NNID
Warpstar64
I return.

Yay.

Fun fact: Did you know that people used to claim that King Dedede was a semi-clone of Kirby back in brawl because of his inhale? Of course, they were Kirby haters. That's like saying Lucario is a clone of Mewtwo because of their neutral B. That's like saying the Mii fighter is a clone of Samus because of THEIR neutral B. That's like saying Ganondorf is a clone of Captain Falcon becau-- wait...

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
xD Thanks. .u. My Meta Knight plushie was watching me while I was working on him....xD of course he has to look awesome!
>u> He knew you loved him so he knew he was going to look like a BADASS when you drew him. xD and you did, I love it. ;3 And B Dee is so adorable, I just love how he's trying to fly. xD

Lol, giant ****ing watermark.
Well, gotta mark your artwork so others don't be an ass an claim it as their own.

Last edited:

Elec

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5086-5666-2210
Wait... did people actually think Dedede was going to be a clone of Kirby because they shared an Inhaling move?

'dsfk;dsfodfsuftlierkjm;erlfghqpfir.. I might be overreacting but how do you even think that?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I know that. nvm.
But the reason why she said it isn't funny is because you added LOL.
Wait... did people actually think Dedede was going to be a clone of Kirby because they shared an Inhaling move?

'dsfk;dsfodfsuftlierkjm;erlfghqpfir.. I might be overreacting but how do you even think that?
The world works in mysterious ways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom