• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Oh guys I beat Triple Deluxe yesterday. Gonna try and beat the Arena this week.

Pyribbot is such a pain.

Especially when he turns himself into a Pinball.
hint: watch his shadow

Bandanna Dee would be cool, but I think his chances are dead now.
Why is that? He hasn't been deconfirmed at all.

He hasn't been confirmed or deconfirmed. Nothing yet.

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
It would be cute to see it handle the Challenge menu. It would hold up hammers in a helpful manner and show up as an indicator that you unlocked something new.

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
hint: watch his shadow
Oh, I'll try that out.

Why is that? He hasn't been deconfirmed at all.

He hasn't been confirmed or deconfirmed. Nothing yet.
I think he thinks that because of the leak and the five slot theory. He thinks BD's chances are low because Ridley/Mewtwo/Chorus Men/Impa/Dixie/K. Rool/Isaac would take the remaining spots.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hey Morbid, what do you think about Bandana Dee's chances?
I'm curious.
Honestly, I am not utterly certain. There are only so many slots left in the game, most theorize that there are approximately five spaces left; however, I am not sure how Mii Fighters are applied to that scenario, so I assume the worst case scenario of four more remaining characters. Ice Climbers being removed for a justifiable reason was always something that I advocated for in addition to Pokemon Trainer. Snake, god rest his soul, never fit into the Nintendo crowd and Namco was slated to co-develop the game resulting in the completely overt Pac-Man inclusion. Unfortunately, most fans saw Snake's dismissal from a mile away.

I did not expect additional cuts such as Lucas or Wolf though. I am sure that (at least) one veteran will return and Wolf seems to be the most ideal bet. In that event, I also believe Ridley to be a shoe-in character based on the April Direct, his reveal pertained to a lot of counter-intuitive methodology. I also deem Mewtwo to be one of the more likely candidates based on Sakurai's unwarranted interjection and Greninja being improperly animated.

After that, Dark Horse candidates are removed from the picture (as they were leaked) aside from a Legend of Zelda character. Another sentiment that I promoted for quite some time. I am not entirely sold on Mewtwo or a Legend of Zelda character, but I do find them ever-so-slightly more likely than Bandanna Dee. I still maintain false hope for Isabelle ever since some sick **** pretended to have insider information and play with my heart.

So basically, it comes down to this notion... was I correct about the trophy quiz theory and a Legend of Zelda newcomer, something that I have thought to be the case since I joined this website? If I am wrong, Bandanna Dee is literally the next-in-line for the roster as he already decapitated the only other relevant competition, Krystal. If I was correct; however, that would rely on Sakurai to leave the dead alone, resulting in Mewtwo not returning. There is precedent to support this as Lucina replacing Roy despite Roy being the "popular Melee veteran." Dr. Mario is coming back as well, so that is either a sign of more to come, or it ends there. Other than that, I suppose a veteran does not HAVE to come back. But I do find it outlandish that we have 4 or 5 newcomers yet to be announced.

If you want an arbitrary number, I am probably going to be on the safe side and assert that he has a 50/50 chance. I am leaning on Bandanna Dee being more likely than not, though. So more like 51/49. I have never thought that we would get another Donkey Kong character, and if we do, it is a low effort clone through Dixie Kong which will not have a correlation to Bandanna Dee's chance in the slightest. I still have faith in the D, but not as much as I used to.

However, it begs the question. Why is everything set so conveniently in place for Bandanna Dee? It could not just be a coincidence. He offers a lot of move-set potential and diversity as well. The choice seems obvious, perhaps too obvious. His rise to prominence should not be overlooked in my not so humble opinion. Albeit, unlike some characters, there IS always next time for Bandanna Dee. He is only going to grow... some characters do not have that luxury and this is their best and possibly only shot at getting into Smash.

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
Greninja got in despite being nothing but sketches.

BD has been around for just a few years, so its chances could be better next Smash.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Yeah, I personally think Bandana Dee is practically confirmed for Smash 5...but I don't want to wait 6 years...

Honestly, I am not utterly certain. There are only so many slots left in the game, most theorize that there are approximately five spaces left; however, I am not sure how Mii Fighters are applied to that scenario, so I assume the worst case scenario of four more remaining characters. Ice Climbers being removed for a justifiable reason was always something that I advocated for in addition to Pokemon Trainer. Snake, god rest his soul, never fit into the Nintendo crowd and Namco was slated to co-develop the game resulting in the completely overt Pac-Man inclusion. Unfortunately, most fans saw Snake's dismissal from a mile away.

I did not expect additional cuts such as Lucas or Wolf though. I am sure that (at least) one veteran will return and Wolf seems to be the most ideal bet. In that event, I also believe Ridley to be a shoe-in character based on the April Direct, his reveal pertained to a lot of counter-intuitive methodology. I also deem Mewtwo to be one of the more likely candidates based on Sakurai's unwarranted interjection and Greninja being improperly animated.

After that, Dark Horse candidates are removed from the picture (as they were leaked) aside from a Legend of Zelda character. Another sentiment that I promoted for quite some time. I am not entirely sold on Mewtwo or a Legend of Zelda character, but I do find them ever-so-slightly more likely than Bandanna Dee. I still maintain false hope for Isabelle ever since some sick **** pretended to have insider information and play with my heart.

So basically, it comes down to this notion... was I correct about the trophy quiz theory and a Legend of Zelda newcomer, something that I have thought to be the case since I joined this website? If I am wrong, Bandanna Dee is literally the next-in-line for the roster as he already decapitated the only other relevant competition, Krystal. If I was correct; however, that would rely on Sakurai to leave the dead alone, resulting in Mewtwo not returning. There is precedent to support this as Lucina replacing Roy despite Roy being the "popular Melee veteran." Dr. Mario is coming back as well, so that is either a sign of more to come, or it ends there. Other than that, I suppose a veteran does not HAVE to come back. But I do find it outlandish that we have 4 or 5 newcomers yet to be announced.

If you want an arbitrary number, I am probably going to be on the safe side and assert that he has a 50/50 chance. I am leaning on Bandanna Dee being more likely than not, though. So more like 51/49. I have never thought that we would get another Donkey Kong character, and if we do, it is a low effort clone through Dixie Kong which will not have a correlation to Bandanna Dee's chance in the slightest. I still have faith in the D, but not as much as I used to.

However, it begs the question. Why is everything set so conveniently in place for Bandanna Dee? It could not just be a coincidence. He offers a lot of move-set potential and diversity as well. The choice seems obvious, perhaps too obvious. His rise to prominence should not be overlooked in my not so humble opinion. Albeit, unlike some characters, there IS always next time for Bandanna Dee. He is only going to grow... some characters do not have that luxury and this is their best and possibly only shot at getting into Smash.
Thanks!
I really appreciate your opinion.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Oh, I'll try that out.

I think he thinks that because of the leak and the five slot theory. He thinks BD's chances are low because Ridley/Mewtwo/Chorus Men/Impa/Dixie/K. Rool/Isaac would take the remaining spots.
Why would THEY take the spot? We don't know for sure that characters like Impa or Isaac will even show up anymore than we know Bandana Dee will. I can maybe see K Rool and Ridley having a bit more priority because of the loud fanbase and requests...

if that's the case he has just about as much a chance

Last edited:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
Albeit, unlike some characters, there IS always next time for Bandanna Dee. He is only going to grow... some characters do not have that luxury and this is their best and possibly only shot at getting into Smash.
i love your entire post and this the most

chandelure, i don't know what's going on in your life but if you recall i too said "we're done here, hes not in" many pages ago as i felt down. remember all the good things.

Remember all of the chances
remember the possibility of dlc
and especially as morbid stated,remember you yourself said so or so, bandana is basically confirmed for smash 5

We will get to play him, sooner or later, and it will be awesome!

edit: and i didnt seey ou said that and now i look like a dumby trying to cheer people up!
dumby dumb dee at your service! giving useless help since 2014

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I decided to mess around with Kirby's Return to Dream Land once again, except this time I focused on the different abilities. After a little bit of annoying freezes, tons of crashes, and some really odd glitches, I managed to get it working. I can use all of the Super Abilities wherever I want, and can also use the "Landia" ability. I decided to test it out, and got some really odd results...

First of all, let's go over Landia.

When you just finished off Landia, and Magolor reveals his plan, you go into a level where you fly Landia around and then have to fight the Lor Starcutter on him. You can use Landia in ANY room that you choose, instead of just that one, but it behaves odd. First of all, Kirby's model and Landia's model turn miniscule while you're riding him - for a comparison, you're pretty much the same size as the star on top of the Parasol, which is really small. Also, Landia is WEAK. He dies insanely fast, and does barely any damage. Trying to defeat Bonkors resulted in my death quite a few times. If you fly into a Copy Essence while riding Landia, you will switch into whatever ability you chose. The odd thing is that Kirby's model doesn't go to it's regular size, so you're basically a super mini version of that ability. Also, because Landia can't face left, Kirby can't either - basically, you can attack left, but Kirby doesn't actually face left. Landia can only face right, so all animations make Kirby face right. Such as, going in a door makes him somehow walk sideways, getting a Copy Ability has him doing his hand-raising pose while looking right, instead of at the screen, and having a Super Ability makes him do the whole fancy animation while facing right instead of at the screen.

Now, the Super Abilities.

The Super Abilities can be used anywhere you'd like except for Lor Starcutter, the Copy Ability Rooms, and the world maps (when you pick what level in a world you want to play). They work the same way that they do when they're given to you - click the attack button, get a fancy animation, and destroy everything in your path. They actually have attributes to them, such as Ultra Sword can cut ropes, and Grand Hammer can hit in stakes. Also, while I'm sure you can do it when it's given to you, if you freeze an enemy using Snow Bowl without killing them, they're permanently frozen until you push them. Oh, also, the Super Abilities can OHKO any boss, including Magolor. I was able to complete the Arena in four minutes and fifty-six seconds, which was fun. My favorite is personally Snow Bowl, because you can pretty much go through any stage just by using it, haha.

Also, I was playing the game with my sister, and I found something out. During the middle of a level, I modified my character to be King DeDeDe. Now, any modifications take place when the next room is entered, so it can reload everything. I went in to play as King DeDeDe, but I actually wanted to play as Bandana Dee. I decided to change into Bandana Dee, so I switched it out. Now, remember, I'm still King DeDeDe until I enter the next room. My sister wanted to play as Meta Knight, and while she was going through the character list, I saw that Bandana Dee was blanked out, so she couldn't select him, yet nobody was playing as him yet. It was pretty obvious then that the game treated it as if Bandana Dee was playing now, so I asked her to come in as King DeDeDe. She went over to King DeDeDe, and it actually worked! We had two King DeDeDe's out at the same time, and it looked really funny to be honest. We can play as the same character now, so having two Bandana Dee to run through everything is gonna be fun.

Also, would anybody that can use Dolphin Emulator and has an ISO of Kirby's Return to Dream Land help me with something? I want to try and extract all of the textures used for Blue Kirby, and then replace them with Red Kirby, but I can't as I don't have a computer that's able to handle Dolphin.

ALSO USING LANDIA TO TURN MINI THEN MODIFYING MYSELF TO USE SNOW BOWL IS THE CUTEST THING EVER

TINY SNOW BOWL IS SO CUTE OH MY GOD

Last edited:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
You must remember that a character is added to the roster based on uniqueness and what originality they bring to the table.
As for clones, from a developer stand point, its to cut costs or in this case, beef up the roster (AKA added later instead of replacing someone)

I love Dee but characters like Issac (Psynergy) and K.Rool (Boxer, pirate, scientist) are unique compared spear wielder.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
You must remember that a character is added to the roster based on uniqueness and what originality they bring to the table.
As for clones, from a developer stand point, its to cut costs or in this case, beef up the roster (AKA added later instead of replacing someone)

I love Dee but characters like Issac (Psynergy) and K.Rool (Boxer, pirate, scientist) are unique compared spear wielder.
We already have "Psyenergy" through Ness, and we have a "Boxer" through Little Mac. I doubt K Rool would be shown as a Boxer or Scientist, as he's mostly been a pirate.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
i love your entire post and this the most

chandelure, i don't know what's going on in your life but if you recall i too said "we're done here, hes not in" many pages ago as i felt down. remember all the good things.

Remember all of the chances
remember the possibility of dlc
and especially as morbid stated,remember you yourself said so or so, bandana is basically confirmed for smash 5

We will get to play him, sooner or later, and it will be awesome!

edit: and i didnt seey ou said that and now i look like a dumby trying to cheer people up!
dumby dumb dee at your service! giving useless help since 2014
XD
Thanks!

Now I feel better, I'm a little stressed.
If Bandana Dee is not in the game, DLC is a possibility :D

D

Deleted member

I decided to mess around with Kirby's Return to Dream Land once again, except this time I focused on the different abilities. After a little bit of annoying freezes, tons of crashes, and some really odd glitches, I managed to get it working. I can use all of the Super Abilities wherever I want, and can also use the "Landia" ability. I decided to test it out, and got some really odd results...

First of all, let's go over Landia.

When you just finished off Landia, and Magolor reveals his plan, you go into a level where you fly Landia around and then have to fight the Lor Starcutter on him. You can use Landia in ANY room that you choose, instead of just that one, but it behaves odd. First of all, Kirby's model and Landia's model turn miniscule while you're riding him - for a comparison, you're pretty much the same size as the star on top of the Parasol, which is really small. Also, Landia is WEAK. He dies insanely fast, and does barely any damage. Trying to defeat Bonkors resulted in my death quite a few times. If you fly into a Copy Essence while riding Landia, you will switch into whatever ability you chose. The odd thing is that Kirby's model doesn't go to it's regular size, so you're basically a super mini version of that ability. Also, because Landia can't face left, Kirby can't either - basically, you can attack left, but Kirby doesn't actually face left. Landia can only face right, so all animations make Kirby face right. Such as, going in a door makes him somehow walk sideways, getting a Copy Ability has him doing his hand-raising pose while looking right, instead of at the screen, and having a Super Ability makes him do the whole fancy animation while facing right instead of at the screen.

Now, the Super Abilities.

The Super Abilities can be used anywhere you'd like except for Lor Starcutter, the Copy Ability Rooms, and the world maps (when you pick what level in a world you want to play). They work the same way that they do when they're given to you - click the attack button, get a fancy animation, and destroy everything in your path. They actually have attributes to them, such as Ultra Sword can cut ropes, and Grand Hammer can hit in stakes. Also, while I'm sure you can do it when it's given to you, if you freeze an enemy using Snow Bowl without killing them, they're permanently frozen until you push them. Oh, also, the Super Abilities can OHKO any boss, including Magolor. I was able to complete the Arena in four minutes and fifty-six seconds, which was fun. My favorite is personally Snow Bowl, because you can pretty much go through any stage just by using it, haha.

Also, I was playing the game with my sister, and I found something out. During the middle of a level, I modified my character to be King DeDeDe. Now, any modifications take place when the next room is entered, so it can reload everything. I went in to play as King DeDeDe, but I actually wanted to play as Bandana Dee. I decided to change into Bandana Dee, so I switched it out. Now, remember, I'm still King DeDeDe until I enter the next room. My sister wanted to play as Meta Knight, and while she was going through the character list, I saw that Bandana Dee was blanked out, so she couldn't select him, yet nobody was playing as him yet. It was pretty obvious then that the game treated it as if Bandana Dee was playing now, so I asked her to come in as King DeDeDe. She went over to King DeDeDe, and it actually worked! We had two King DeDeDe's out at the same time, and it looked really funny to be honest. We can play as the same character now, so having two Bandana Dee to run through everything is gonna be fun.

Also, would anybody that can use Dolphin Emulator and has an ISO of Kirby's Return to Dream Land help me with something? I want to try and extract all of the textures used for Blue Kirby, and then replace them with Red Kirby, but I can't as I don't have a computer that's able to handle Dolphin.

ALSO USING LANDIA TO TURN MINI THEN MODIFYING MYSELF TO USE SNOW BOWL IS THE CUTEST THING EVER

TINY SNOW BOWL IS SO CUTE OH MY GOD
Can you show me a vid of Landia fighting Boss Landia?

Last edited by a moderator:

Enigma14

Smash Champion
We already have "Psyenergy" through Ness, and we have a "Boxer" through Little Mac. I doubt K Rool would be shown as a Boxer or Scientist, as he's mostly been a pirate.
Psynergy through Ness is a stretch. Ness has a few elements (ice, thunder, fire) while Issac only has the Earth affinity.

As for the boxer comment, the same could be applied to sword users. Its not far fetched to have a few characters share a few moves. As for showing him as Pirate, they could show him naked with only the cape and crown but he could still have any assortment of moves from his games.

Last edited:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
that super ability thing is a blast x3 ive been doing that myself

but on topic of what you asked, idk how to do that, if you have any idea how and tell me how i do have an iso and dolphin and i can try to do it for you, but you would need to tell me how

Can you show me a vid of Landia fighting Boss Landia?
can get you a pic

though if you guys wanna see i could stream bandana dee's return to dreamland and also landia bosses if you want

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
If the Dee isnt in this game i will be majorly dissapointed, i just needed 2 more characters to be satisfied with the roster for life.

But it seems we dont really know now. I cant wait for 6 years later, nope. Life will kick in mid-way. So if he's not in, sakurai messed up big time.

Hopefully DLC can have have in though.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
ugh dunno, im not really here to self advertise so if people want me to lol

while trying to get the textures for reserved i got these too, thought id share

waht the *******************************ing ********************8**

whataaaaaaaaaaaat?!??'''''''''''''

WHAT IS THIS

Okay, no, what the hell? Does Meta Knight and King DeDeDe have these too? I don't care much for the Bandana Dee in that yellow-y background thing, but the star... GO CHECK. Has anybody seen those in-game at all?

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
waht the *******************************ing ********************8**

whataaaaaaaaaaaat?!??'''''''''''''

WHAT IS THIS

Okay, no, what the hell? Does Meta Knight and King DeDeDe have these too? I don't care much for the Bandana Dee in that yellow-y background thing, but the star... GO CHECK. Has anybody seen those in-game at all?
they show up when that character pauses and you go to the screen that has their info "HEY ITS EVERYBODIES IDOL" in the top left corner

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
they show up when that character pauses and you go to the screen that has their info "HEY ITS EVERYBODIES IDOL" in the top left corner
Oooh...

That ruined what I was thinking now...

cri

cri

CRI

---

@GamerGuy09

Are you good at making sprites? I was checking around some older pages, and saw you made the Bandana Dee sprite sheet for KSSU, so yeah...

I'm mainly looking for somebody who can make sprites that are in the same style as Kirby's Adventure.

---

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
BandanaDee was getting some textures for me from Kirby's Return to Dreamland. While I won't upload everything, mainly because I'm sure it'd get taken down or something, I thought these textures were really cute.

@ kirby_queen kirby_queen because these could be potential new avatars or something

Oh, also...

(those are separate images)

Last edited:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
also moving the camera in return to dreamland is dang weird

though we should try and not get to of topic now, this is the bandana thread after all not the kirby thread...even though it basically is the kirby thread...

I was thinking earlier today whatd you crew think of victory poses? I personally would love one where he raises his spear and then his bandana flops onto his eyes and he has to fix it with his spare hand

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
also moving the camera in return to dreamland is dang weird

though we should try and not get to of topic now, this is the bandana thread after all not the kirby thread...even though it basically is the kirby thread...

I was thinking earlier today whatd you crew think of victory poses? I personally would love one where he raises his spear and then his bandana flops onto his eyes and he has to fix it with his spare hand
I knew the game was mainly just textures, but I didn't think it'd be that odd...

ALSO LOL WHISPY'S FACE IS STILL JUST TEXTURES

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

GO HAL

May I ask how you're moving the camera around?

---

In terms of Bandana Dee's victory animations, I want him to do a shorter version of his Kirby dance in Return to Dream Land. Kirby does a little Kirby dance, too, so it'd be cute to see.

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
I knew the game was mainly just textures, but I didn't think it'd be that odd...

ALSO LOL WHISPY'S FACE IS STILL JUST TEXTURES

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

GO HAL

May I ask how you're moving the camera around?

---

In terms of Bandana Dee's victory animations, I want him to do a shorter version of his Kirby dance in Return to Dream Land. Kirby does a little Kirby dance, too, so it'd be cute to see.
it's an option in dolphin

oh does kirby do the dance? i havnt seen to many poses for victory, but then yeah one ending in a spear raise would be adorable, or maybe putting his spear down like a guard all proud of himself, that'd be adorable too

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
it's an option in dolphin

oh does kirby do the dance? i havnt seen to many poses for victory, but then yeah one ending in a spear raise would be adorable, or maybe putting his spear down like a guard all proud of himself, that'd be adorable too
"It's an option in Dolphin"

*cries*

But yeah, he does. If I am correct, all of Kirby's victory animations in the older games are just him doing the Kirby dance... I kinda wish we had a victory animation where he falls out of the sky, lands on his face, then gets up, looks around all confused, and starts clapping as if he lost...

that'd be so cute.

Enigma14

Smash Champion
I don't suppose its possible to give the other 3 options like Kirby?

Meta knight with flaming sword for example.
Dee with water surf.

Just for fun.

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
hmm based on what im seeing most chars seem to only have one victory pose
i hope theres more than one in the final build, id love to see bandana have a ton of poses.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Is it possible for the other characters to have powers like Kirby can?
if you model swap or something, yes, but otherwise no...

they could probably wear the hats if you want to, but they'll probably never be able to use copy abilities unless you want to make new animations and stuff for them...

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
BandanaDee was getting some textures for me from Kirby's Return to Dreamland. While I won't upload everything, mainly because I'm sure it'd get taken down or something, I thought these textures were really cute.

@ kirby_queen kirby_queen because these could be potential new avatars or something

Oh, also...

(those are separate images)
:) so cute. My babeh

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Take this with a grain of salt that's so salty that salt believes that this salt is so salty the salty salt from salt thinks it's salty, but somebody from NeoGAF says that they'll be getting an early copy of the game either later today or tommorow from a friend who works at some Japanese retail store.

IF THIS IS TRUE, GET YOUR BANDANAS ON AND GET READY

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Take this with a grain of salt that's so salty that salt believes that this salt is so salty the salty salt from salt thinks it's salty, but somebody from NeoGAF says that they'll be getting an early copy of the game either later today or tommorow from a friend who works at some Japanese retail store.

IF THIS IS TRUE, GET YOUR BANDANAS ON AND GET READY
Cool, but uh, wouldn't it take the guy a long time to unlock everything? :p

D

Deleted member

Cool, but uh, wouldn't it take the guy a long time to unlock everything? :p
Well, it should but its still earlier than the real Japanese release date. PLUS BANDANA DEE IS GOING TO BE UNLOCKED FIRST BY PLAYING ONE VERSUS MATCH!

Top Bottom