• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I'm just saying that since Waddle Dees are commonly depicted with using Parasols and Spears, mixing the two into one weapon for a playable Waddle Dee to use isn't that far-fetched of an idea.
except Bandana Waddle isn't just a regular waddle Dee. He's specific character with specific skills. We don't know that he uses parasol and considering it's the spear he yields and has a moveset for than it would be his spear that would be his trademark weapon. That's what Bandana Waddle Dee uses and he's a spear captain. Not saying it can't happen but I'd be odd imo.

I also think people keep conflating Bandana Waddle Dee with just any waddle dee and think anything they see a general waddle dee doing is everything that Bandana Waddle Dee does because he's just a waddle dee and I personally don't think that's the case.

It can happen but I'd think his spear would be his weapon.

Also you guys see this Return to Dreamland street pass?? It's got bandana dee as well!

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I found a sprite sheet which has Kirby: Canvas Curse enemies and Kirby & The Amazing Mirror enemies in 8-BIT Kirby's Adventure style...

I really want to add them in, but I don't think it's possible to add in a completely new enemy... I could only replace existing ones.

now i cri

Also, should I replace Kirby with Dream Land 2 Kirby, or keep Adventure Kirby?

oh and

In Ice Cream Island's "cutscene" thingy, when a Waddle Doo smacks Kirby with a hammer, should I change this to a Waddle Dee? (not Bandana Dee because I can't change the Hammer)

---

Also, is anybody good at making sprites? I would really love to get in contact with any of you who can create sprites, mainly 8-BIT sprites reminiscent of Kirby's Adventure.

Oh, and...

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I just want to say.....We've came a long way.

I'm not sure what will be the future of us. We might be able to rise from despair like the Robin fans, which I was one of. Or we can sink into sadness like Takamaru or Chrom fans....

Whatever the outcome may be, I just want to say I had fun talking with you guys. :)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
You all know what would be cool?
If Bandanna Dee had both a spear and a parasol.
This is whyI think it would make sense if his spear was engineered to turn into a parasol in Smash.

I mean if Dedede's hammer is actually a machine, why not have the spear act as a parasol?
Exactly! He should totally have a mixture of my two favorite abilities. Would also fill in a lot of moveset gaps and would be perfect for grabs and throws.

Also, to those people who keep saying Bandana Dee needs to stay as far away from Waddle Dee as possible. May I remind of this:

Bandana Dee wouldn't be popular if it wasn't for Waddle Dees. The reason people like him so much, it he is the characterized version of everything Waddle Dee. I know you guys really want to try to convince people as much as possible that Bandana Dee is a deserving character, and I do think so as I stated before, but you guys really should stop straying from what makes him great in the first place.

Also, the image I just posted reinforces the idea that he said have parasol as part of his moveset. :p

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Also, to those people who keep saying Bandana Dee needs to stay as far away from Waddle Dee as possible. May I remind of this:
Just pointing out that was made before he had an official name. In Return to Dreamland he was just called "Waddle Dee".

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Well I'm personally in the group of fans that wants to see Waddle true to his status of position and trademark weapon. I think his spear is more than enough. Sure he's a waddle dee and waddle dee in general are cute but they are shallow enemies while Bandana Dee is getting fleshed out with dialogue and continuous appearances and roles that elaborate more on his character. I don't think establishing him more diverts from the image of his origin but helps to further solidify him a a distinct character. He's a growing 4th representative and as such, needs to have even more iconic features and solid role. That means distinguishing him from other waddle dee.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Well I'm personally in the group of fans that wants to see Waddle true to his status of position and trademark weapon. I think his spear is more than enough. Sure he's a waddle dee and waddle dee in general are cute but they are shallow enemies while Bandana Dee is getting fleshed out with dialogue and continuous appearances and roles that elaborate more on his character. I don't think establishing him more diverts from the image of his origin but helps to further solidify him a a distinct character. He's a growing 4th representative and as such, needs to have even more iconic features and solid role. That means distinguishing him from other waddle dee.
Well, then quick question. How would only using the spear make him distinct from other Waddle Dee's exactly? Especially since a lot of Waddle Dees only use spears?

If anything, what you are saying is that it would be a good idea to give Bandana Dee the parasol as well because that would make him more different then the average Waddle Dee. Sure, Waddle Dees have used both a parasol and spear at the same time in the past, but how about a spearasol? :p

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Well, then quick question. How would only using the spear make him distinct from other Waddle Dee's exactly? Especially since a lot of Waddle Dees only use spears?

If anything, what you are saying is that it would be a good idea to give Bandana Dee the parasol as well because that would make him more different then the average Waddle Dee. Sure, Waddle Dees have used both a parasol and spear at the same time in the past, but how about a spearasol? :p
Regular Waddle Dees have been known to carry only Parasols, only Spears, and both a Parasol and a Spear at the same time. I don't think the argument "How would he differentiate?" is really that valid as of now. HAL has made Bandana Dee specifically a "Spear Master", not a Parasol Master or something like that. For all we know, Bandana Dee doesn't even know how to use a Parasol. I agree with kirby_queen in that I would much more prefer he stays to his traditional self. I don't think he should use a Parasol, only a Spear. I mean, that's like saying that Marth, Lucina, and Ike are all bland since they only use swords, despite having other classes they can switch into.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord

He would be distinct because he would be a character with a role. Bandana Dee is a spear captain. He uses a spear.

Just by this alone, he's got... a role, a position of power, a trademark ability which becomes an iconic trait... thus an established individual character.

By just giving any and all waddle dee powers combined, it dilutes it imo

Last edited:

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
He would be distinct because he would be a character with a role. Bandana Dee is a spear captain. He uses a spear.

Just by this alone, he's got... a role, a position of power, a trademark ability which becomes an iconic trait... thus an established individual character.

By just giving any and all waddle dee powers combined, it dilutes it imo
Sakurai is known tho for making characters unique. I mean, robin has nosferatsu. I don't see why BDee couldn't have a parasol. It would add more to his moveset for sure.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I was so excited when he was revealed playable in RtD, then i saw him using a generic spear just because waddle dee...
A weapon is just limiting bandana to a place after DDD and MK, "just that other guy at the end".

No, i want him to be kirbys partner, which means he needs to stand by his own,and whats more interesting than see the weakest enemy in dreamland fighting with his bear hands? thats awesome, i also want him to close his eyes when the shield is on.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Sakurai is known tho for making characters unique. I mean, robin has nosferatsu. I don't see why BDee couldn't have a parasol. It would add more to his moveset for sure.
He can still be unique and use his spear.

Folks think unique control and move mastery is in how different your weapons look rather than just how they work. Sword characters don't all play the same.

A spear user wouldn't suddenly be lacking in uniqueness especially in a cast like smash where very few if any characters use a similar weapon.

I mean if Sakurai desides to use other weapons in the moveset that's up to him but we don't even know if Bandana Dee in canon uses those and Sakurai isn't in charge of that as much as HAL is.

I certainly don't doubt he couldn't make him unique even with just the spear.

maybe I can see him also using physical attacks like Megaton Punch since that's canon for sure. I'd be down with that but yeah... it's just my personal preference that he stick to character as far as what we know HAL has established for him.

I guess can just make **** up like Robin as well. Not sure what liberties are being given by whom though and if HAL is giving the same liberties.

Last edited:

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
Chandelure's icon seems to be a bit...well...um...uhhhhhhhhhh... very um... kind of like bandana dee killed ridley, ripped his eyeballs out and placed his head on his spear very supportive of bandana dee...I guess...

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Megaton Punch seems like it would be his Final Smash.
I'd like it to be Megaton Punch as well

Anyway however Bandana Dee's moveset turns out we know that his spear will be vital and whatever other attacks are in, we'll have wait and see. I trust Sakurai anyway and I'm more concerned with Bandana Waddle Dee even showing up at all before I even get ahead of myself.

I think a lot of spear moveset abilities can work as moves for him. I certainly hope his spear tosses make it in if he's a character. It's a great move. His spearcopter is also perfect for recovery.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Zipzo (the guy that was playing the demo of the complete game) said:
  • Waddle Dees still carry DDD in and are in his victory pose. Sorry.
  • DDD only throws Gordos, and every other side - b does NOT throw a Gordo. Otherwise DDD feels the same.
I honestly don't know how this affects Bandana Dee's chances, I don't know if Bandana Dee was there with the other Waddle Dees. I also don't understand the Side B thing, "not a Gordo" what's that? Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos? Bandana Dee?
And another weird thing is that he said that the characters had their custom moves locked (you need to unlock them playing Smash Run).

D

Deleted member

Zipzo (the guy that was playing the demo of the complete game) said:
  • Waddle Dees still carry DDD in and are in his victory pose. Sorry.
  • DDD only throws Gordos, and every other side - b does NOT throw a Gordo. Otherwise DDD feels the same.
I honestly don't know how this affects Bandana Dee's chances, I don't know if Bandana Dee was there with the other Waddle Dees. I also don't understand the Side B thing, "not a Gordo" what's that? Waddle Dees and Waddle Doos? Bandana Dee?
And another weird thing is that he said that the characters had their custom moves locked (you need to unlock them playing Smash Run).
I don't think it does. They're still normal Waddle Dees, and they're not involved in combat segments. It would be more confusing if 3 Dedede's had 6 Waddle Dees out and one got a Final Smash.

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
He just said that waddle dee's are still in the victory pose, yet someone else said they werent, now im confused

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
So no Bandana Waddle Dee sightings yet is good. People talked about regular waddle dees carrying Dedede in but non were his spear captain so this is STILL looking good. Still no sighting of B-Dee. Still no deconfirmation so close to smash. The only way I'm going to end up seeing this character deconfirmed or confirmed will probably be at release maybe.

Seeing other Waddle Dee doesn't deconfirm Bandana Dee. These other waddle dee are just some of the various Waddle Dee that Dedede rules. Unless one of them is wearing a bandana than I'd be worried.

Last edited:

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
No Dark Metaknight or Galacta Knight skins. :(
WHAAAAT NOT EVEN DARK META KNIGHT ARE F*****G KIDDING ME? HOW HARD IS IT TO PUT A CRACK IN A F*****G MASK AND A FEW RIPS IN A CAPE YET HE HAS TIME TO ADD IN F*****G DARK PIT WHO SHOULD HAVE JUST REMAINED A F*****G SKIN WHY NOT MAKE SOME ALT'S FOR YOUR BABY SERIES SAKURAI WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?>/IEJX?TVGFSBCO

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
WHAAAAT NOT EVEN DARK META KNIGHT ARE F*****G KIDDING ME? HOW HARD IS IT TO PUT A CRACK IN A F*****G MASK AND A FEW RIPS IN A CAPE YET HE HAS TIME TO ADD IN F*****G DARK PIT WHO SHOULD HAVE JUST REMAINED A F*****G SKIN WHY NOT MAKE SOME ALT'S FOR YOUR BABY SERIES SAKURAI WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!?!?>/IEJX?TVGFSBCO
Yeah the only interesting Kirby alt he made was the naked MK skin for Kirby...

really disappointed all these other promising alts couldn't be in the game :(

Pretty bummed out

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021
Yeah the only interesting Kirby alt he made was the naked MK skin for Kirby...

really disappointed all these other promising alts couldn't be in the game :(

Pretty bummed out
In my opinion I think any chance of new charcters are pretty much dead at this point, charcter slots have to make room for clone slots, SO THAT MEANS DARK PIT, DOCTOR MARIO, AND LUCINA TAKE UP 3 F*****G SLOTS ON THE ROSTER WHEN THEY WERE (looking at you lucina) SHOULD BE ALTS WE COULD HAVE A NEW KIRBY (BANDANA DEE) OR DK REP OR MAYBE ROOM FOR SCEPTILE MAYBE LUCAS, WOLF, AND THE ICE CLIMBERS (YES, THE ICE CLIMBERS THE GROUP WHO HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE MELEE HAVE BEEN F*****G CUT) I DON'T WANT TO USE ROSALINA AND LUMA AS DUO, I WAN'T MY ICE CLIMBERS BACK. ALL THESE CHARCTERS HAVE BEEN CUT FOR F*****G CLONES. WHY NOT JUST MAKE DARK META KNIGHT A F*****G CHARCTER, OR DARK LINK, OR SHADOW KIRBY, OR DARK DEDEDE SAKURAI?!?!??!?! WHY NOT DARK SAMUS THEY SEEMS LIKE GOOD CHARCTERS TO TAKE UP A F*****G SLOT.

(sorry for my rage, i'm kind of mad right now)
(also the css looks kind of boring from previous games, am I supposed to guess what the names of these charcters are?)

Last edited:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion I think any chance of new charcters are pretty much dead at this point, charcter slots have to make room for clone slots, SO THAT MEANS DARK PIT, DOCTOR MARIO, AND LUCINA TAKE UP 3 F*****G SLOTS ON THE ROSTER WHEN THEY WERE (looking at you lucina) SHOULD BE ALTS WE COULD HAVE A NEW KIRBY (BANDANA DEE) OR DK REP OR MAYBE ROOM FOR SCEPTILE MAYBE LUCAS, WOLF, AND THE ICE CLIMBERS (YES, THE ICE CLIMBERS THE GROUP WHO HAS BEEN AROUND SINCE MELEE HAVE BEEN F*****G CUT) I DON'T WANT TO USE ROSALINA AND LUMA AS DUO, I WAN'T MY ICE CLIMBERS BACK. ALL THESE CHARCTERS HAVE BEEN CUT FOR F*****G CLONES. WHY NOT JUST MAKE DARK META KNIGHT A F*****G CHARCTER, OR DARK LINK, OR SHADOW KIRBY, OR DARK DEDEDE SAKURAI?!?!??!?! WHY NOT DARK SAMUS THEY SEEMS LIKE GOOD CHARCTERS TO TAKE UP A F*****G SLOT.

dont forget they decided on the roster early on, so the clones arn't replacing anybody and were planned to be in from the beginning

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
This has me confused, didn't someone say pretty much the exact opposite of what we're hearing now?
No Waddle Dees anywhere, dark meta and galacta skins

waddle dees still in, no dark meta and galacta skins

who is lying?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

(also the css looks kind of boring from previous games, am I supposed to guess what the names of these charcters are?)
Hey! Sakurai might have just added them for ****s and giggles after finishing everyone else!

Maikou

Smash Ace
This is ridiculous! Dark Pit is going to be unique, and you have no arguments against him.

This is stupid. I'm sick of everyone acting like Dark Pit getting in is the end of the f***ing world, not to mention pretending that Dark Pit is just another bland, cloned version of another person. This is why half the people who hate on Bandana Dee are shrugged off as idiots, they don't bother to learn about the character before bashing them.

I'm seriously getting sick of this crap.

Besides that, we're concerned with Bandana Dee over here, not Dark Pit. And also, picture proof or it's fake, people.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Lol. I saw people shouting "Bandana Lee deconfirmed" in the feed... Just something to think about (for those who haven't yet): If R.O.B.s being all over SSE in Brawl long before he was revealed (with the release of the game) didn't deconfirm R.O.B., it doesn't make any sense that this would deconfirm Bandana Lee.

I'm not saying get your hopes up, but this doesn't do anything to confirm or deconfirm him.

Top Bottom