• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Lloyd91

Smash Apprentice
Well, I guess this is how most reveals will be from now on. Still think a smash character could be revealed in the direct? Also, I love how the trailer is called "Looks Like We Have no Choice"
which is pretty much just Nintendo announcing to the world that the leak is real

Maikou

Smash Ace
Dr. Mario should have been a costume, same for Dark Pit.
that still gives a LOT of Mario reps, but it's Nintendo's mascot series so that's to be expected.
Kirby deserves a fourth rep, DK Deserves a third. and there are plenty of un-repped series that deserve their first characters more than KI FE and Mario getting tons of reps. Chibi-robo for example

at this point I'd be happy with ANY Kirby rep (Bandana Dee, Marx, Magolor, Daroach, heck even Galacta Knight as a clone of Meta-Knight) although it's obvious who I want the most

Dark Pit is so easy to make his own character and moves from, it's pathetic and extremely annoying whenever I see "Dark Pit should be an alt". Dark Pit is a seperate entity from Pit with own personality and fighting style.

Besides, the leak isn't confirmed until Bowser Jr. crushes all chance of himself being a good character.

and I'm happy about Shulk. All I need is Bandana Dee and I'm satisfied.

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
Dark Pit is so easy to make his own character and moves from, it's pathetic and extremely annoying whenever I see "Dark Pit should be an alt". Dark Pit is a seperate entity from Pit with own personality and fighting style.
exept he wont have his own fighting style cause he's clearly just going to be a clone =\ if he actually had seperate moves id indulge him but if he's just there with the same moves i dont see why he needed his own slot, heck any other clone would of been good for another series to beef up their numbers, like pikmin. the only reason dark pit exsists is because sakurai worked on uprising, and thats why people are annoyed about it, I love kid icarus, i like dark pit in the game but even i know kid icarus does not need 3 reps.

kid icarus has what, 2 games? TWO, and that warrents tons of items, tons of smash run enemies and 3 reps while other series have been way bigger in nintendo's history and get pushed aside. Dark pit is cool but he really did not warrent his own slot if you ask me.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman

Besides, the leak isn't confirmed until Bowser Jr. crushes all chance of himself being a good character.

and I'm happy about Shulk. All I need is Bandana Dee and I'm satisfied.
I had a whole massive post written to use for my argument about why Dark Pit is better suited to costume status, but I don't want to start a fight, we're all here to support Bandana Dee so there's no point in fighting amongst ourselves.

Although I don't appreciate being called "pathetic" I'll just say in this instance he won't have his own fighting style since he's a clone (based on character select screen location) so he looks like pit, fights like pit, but has a different personality, and DARK at the start of his name, which to me makes him a lazy clone, so I personally felt that at best Pit should have just had a costume coloured like Dark Pit. (Similar to Shadow Link and Daisy)

As for the reveal, I Don't know anything about Shulk since I only got to play a few minutes of Xenoblade, but he looks like a decent character. The video title is kinda depressing and amusing at the same time "Looks Like We Have No Choice" (Thanks to Leaker guy)

even though I've only got 2 characters from my top 10 wants (and only 1 from my top 5) I'm still very Impressed and excited for this game, this is a good roster, but getting the likes of Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo or any of my disconfirmed wants would push my hype even higher. gotta keep hoping.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I have Shulk, I have Robin, and I have Little Mac...
Now I need for Bandana Dee to pull through for me. There is still hope for him!

Maikou

Smash Ace
exept he wont have his own fighting style cause he's clearly just going to be a clone =\ if he actually had seperate moves id indulge him but if he's just there with the same moves i dont see why he needed his own slot, heck any other clone would of been good for another series to beef up their numbers, like pikmin. the only reason dark pit exsists is because sakurai worked on uprising, and thats why people are annoyed about it, I love kid icarus, i like dark pit in the game but even i know kid icarus does not need 3 reps.

kid icarus has what, 2 games? TWO, and that warrents tons of items, tons of smash run enemies and 3 reps while other series have been way bigger in nintendo's history and get pushed aside. Dark pit is cool but he really did not warrent his own slot if you ask me.

You clearly missed the point! Just because Dark Pit is a "clone" of Pit in Kid Icarus, doesn't mean he has to be a clone in Smash Brothers. Luigi would have to be a clone in that regard. And I'm being serious here, how do you think Luigi was in 64? a clone. In Melee, he was a semi-clone due to having the Side B as the only real difference between himself in Mario.

Besides that, Uprising has a plethora of weapons, easily allowing any number of movesets. Just because they look alike, does not mean two characters from the same franchise must share the same moveset. Besides, it looks like Dark Pit is wielding his staff, so he can't be a clone of Pit (according to the images in the leak, part of the image seems to be the Dark Pit Staff, which completley destroys all clone theories anyway, if the leak is true)
I had a whole massive post written to use for my argument about why Dark Pit is better suited to costume status, but I don't want to start a fight, we're all here to support Bandana Dee so there's no point in fighting amongst ourselves.

Although I don't appreciate being called "pathetic" I'll just say in this instance he won't have his own fighting style since he's a clone (based on character select screen location) so he looks like pit, fights like pit, but has a different personality, and DARK at the start of his name, which to me makes him a lazy clone, so I personally felt that at best Pit should have just had a costume coloured like Dark Pit. (Similar to Shadow Link and Daisy)

As for the reveal, I Don't know anything about Shulk since I only got to play a few minutes of Xenoblade, but he looks like a decent character. The video title is kinda depressing and amusing at the same time "Looks Like We Have No Choice" (Thanks to Leaker guy)

even though I've only got 2 characters from my top 10 wants (and only 1 from my top 5) I'm still very Impressed and excited for this game, this is a good roster, but getting the likes of Bandana Dee, Chibi-Robo or any of my disconfirmed wants would push my hype even higher. gotta keep hoping.
And I didn't mean to call you yourself pathetic, I was talking about the general argument. The Pallete Swap thing. It's as bad as the "generic Enemy" argument against Bandana Dee. I'm annoyed by the general argument of Pallete Swap/Clone. I wasn't speaking of the people who use the argument as pathetic, simply that the argument itself just doesn't hold water. Also, like I said, Pittoo seems to be wielding his staff for Smash, meaning he won't use the Silver Bow and therefore cannot be a clone of Pit.

Speaking of Bandana, we're getting off topic.

Anyway, with Shulk confirmed, it seems the leak may have some credit. However I refuse to believe that it deconfirms our star. Besides that, there is the possibility of things changing before the final release, so I'm gonna hope that Bowser Jr. abondans that stupid Klown Kar and takes up his brush.

We just need to wait for the Koopa Kid and Pit's twin to show up before we accept defeat.

And again, even then we still have the hope of Bandana being a secret character, and beyond that, DLC, and beyond even that, there shall be a Smash 5. Bandana Dee is not dead until killed before our very eyes! We can still pull through!

Also, anyone else thinking, "Shulk stole Reyn's line" when they saw the trailer? Also, MY HEADCANON IS THE TRUTH! Smash DOES canonically work like the gameplay suggests! Thank you Shulk! (When he Back Slashes Bowser, Bowser flies into the distance just like in-game, and in the quick vision, Marth and Link sent him flying off with a double-strike)

Also, Dark Pit's staff says nothing about Bandana Dee because Spear is a completely different polearm weapon. Not to mention, Kid ICarus staffs are much different than normal Staffs.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Honestly, I've lost all hope that Bandana Dee will make it in the roster. ..on 3ds. I'm still holding out that some characters not on the 3ds, but we're planned, will still be on the WiiU version.

Enderman1021

Smash Ace
NNID
Enderman1021

You clearly missed the point! Just because Dark Pit is a "clone" of Pit in Kid Icarus, doesn't mean he has to be a clone in Smash Brothers. Luigi would have to be a clone in that regard. And I'm being serious here, how do you think Luigi was in 64? a clone. In Melee, he was a semi-clone due to having the Side B as the only real difference between himself in Mario.

Besides that, Uprising has a plethora of weapons, easily allowing any number of movesets. Just because they look alike, does not mean two characters from the same franchise must share the same moveset. Besides, it looks like Dark Pit is wielding his staff, so he can't be a clone of Pit (according to the images in the leak, part of the image seems to be the Dark Pit Staff, which completley destroys all clone theories anyway, if the leak is true)

And I didn't mean to call you yourself pathetic, I was talking about the general argument. The Pallete Swap thing. It's as bad as the "generic Enemy" argument against Bandana Dee. I'm annoyed by the general argument of Pallete Swap/Clone. I wasn't speaking of the people who use the argument as pathetic, simply that the argument itself just doesn't hold water. Also, like I said, Pittoo seems to be wielding his staff for Smash, meaning he won't use the Silver Bow and therefore cannot be a clone of Pit.

Speaking of Bandana, we're getting off topic.

Anyway, with Shulk confirmed, it seems the leak may have some credit. However I refuse to believe that it deconfirms our star. Besides that, there is the possibility of things changing before the final release, so I'm gonna hope that Bowser Jr. abondans that stupid Klown Kar and takes up his brush.

We just need to wait for the Koopa Kid and Pit's twin to show up before we accept defeat.

And again, even then we still have the hope of Bandana being a secret character, and beyond that, DLC, and beyond even that, there shall be a Smash 5. Bandana Dee is not dead until killed before our very eyes! We can still pull through!

Also, anyone else thinking, "Shulk stole Reyn's line" when they saw the trailer? Also, MY HEADCANON IS THE TRUTH! Smash DOES canonically work like the gameplay suggests! Thank you Shulk! (When he Back Slashes Bowser, Bowser flies into the distance just like in-game, and in the quick vision, Marth and Link sent him flying off with a double-strike)

Also, Dark Pit's staff says nothing about Bandana Dee because Spear is a completely different polearm weapon. Not to mention, Kid ICarus staffs are much different than normal Staffs.
hate to get off topic too but if thats the case dasiy, dark link, and mirror kirby should all be playable instead of alts.

In brawl they turn into trophies, but your headcanon is a lot cooler (and real)

Last edited:

Banana Waffle Deed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sapsiper
3DS FC
1263-6961-7801
Guys, I think Kirby Fighters Z is coming to America!
Actually it's already out in America. I'm not sure though if it's out in any other territories other than America and Japan. I'm probably going to buy it today if I have enough space on my SD card. :)

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Actually it's already out in America. I'm not sure though if it's out in any other territories other than America and Japan. I'm probably going to buy it today if I have enough space on my SD card.
It is out. It's called 'Kirby Fighters Deluxe' though.
Unfortunately I'm like a dollar short from buying in eShop money. :(
Eh, I can wait 'till smash comes out.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
>Wakes up

>Checks YouTube

>HWA T THE M**** HOLY MOTHER****ING **** WHATS GOIGN ON IWATAA STYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPP

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
i wish theyd show us dededes final smash already so that we know if its still the waddle dee dance, since thatll actually affect bandana's chances

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
i wish theyd show us dededes final smash already so that we know if its still the waddle dee dance, since thatll actually affect bandana's chances
I hope it's not the same Final Smash for Dedede. Not just because of Bandana Dee, but also because the Final Smash was just bad in general. :p

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I think we have to face the facts, the leak is real. We are done for
No leak that has been confirmed has said that Bandana Dee is deconfirmed, and the leaked rosters haven't been confirmed by any liable source to be the final roster.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Think of it this way. When Ghirahim was deconfirmed, his supporters still were happy he was in Hyrule Warriors.

If Bandana Dee gets deconfirmed, we still have his appearance in Kirby & The Rainbow Curse!

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting to see what role he gets in this game. Hopefully playable. What do you guys think?

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
King Dedede and Meta Knight are starters again.
That's weird.
i dont know why but hearing that actually makes me believe more that bandana will be in

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting to see what role he gets in this game. Hopefully playable. What do you guys think?
Since he isnt a ball and is multicoloured i dont think he will be. but since he is the only other char other than kirby i can see him having a big role

im hoping that bandana kind of evolves to become kirbys best friend in kirby series in general x3

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Think of it this way. When Ghirahim was deconfirmed, his supporters still were happy he was in Hyrule Warriors.

If Bandana Dee gets deconfirmed, we still have his appearance in Kirby & The Rainbow Curse!

I heard that he will be playable but just walks on the clay rope and might also have abilities to get like Kirby, probably why he doesn't have his spear.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
CUSTOM KIRBY CONFIRMED

We have the following:

Final Cutter
1. Ground Wave: Trips opponents when landing (wow this + Burying Stone is evil)
2. Rising Cutter: Doesn't come back down, only goes up - presumably has more vertical distance (good for recovering, but loss of Final Cutter projectile is a bit bad)

Stone
1.Burying Stone: Buries opponents into the ground if contact is made (lol combo setups - can you grab someone who's buried?)
2. Meteor Stone: Adds a meteor smash to the move (wow this is either gonna suck or be crazy overpowered

Hammer
1. Launching Hammer: Launches opponents diagonally upwards (YOU DEAD WHEN THE HAMMER SMACKS YOU)
2. Giant Hammer: Hammer increases in size and has more knockback, most likely going to have longer startup (SAME AS ABOVE)

Inhale
1. Ice Breath: Freezes any opponents that make contact (good for spacing?)
2. Jump Inhale: Has Kirby lunge forward while inhaling, catches opponents in this (great recovery if is effected in air!)

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
CUSTOM KIRBY CONFIRMED

We have the following:

Final Cutter
2. Rising Cutter: Doesn't come back down, only goes up - presumably has more vertical distance (good for recovering, but loss of Final Cutter projectile is a bit bad)

Stone
1.Burying Stone: Buries opponents into the ground if contact is made (lol combo setups - can you grab someone who's buried?)
2. Meteor Stone: Adds a meteor smash to the move (wow this is either gonna suck or be crazy overpowered

Hammer
1. Launching Hammer: Launches opponents diagonally upwards (YOU DEAD WHEN THE HAMMER SMACKS YOU)
2. Giant Hammer: Hammer increases in size and has more knockback, most likely going to have longer startup (SAME AS ABOVE)

Inhale
2. Jump Inhale: Has Kirby lunge forward while inhaling, catches opponents in this (great recovery if is effected in air!)
The giant hammer attack was shown, Keeby didn't walk, I think you stay still when using the move

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Watching the videos released today for Smash Bros. for 3DS in Japan, I was watching and noticed something...

I'm not sure if anybody noticed it, but Kirby uses an upgraded version of the sound effect he uses in his actual games when he inhales an opponent! I thought this was really cute, haha. The Warp Star actually uses an upgraded version of it's sound effects from the games instead of the Brawl one, which is very nice.

While I'm sure some of you are going to think that this is going to effect Bandana Dee's chances, the sound effects are very reminiscent of those found in Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe - I brought up the sounds, as in Brawl most of Kirby's sounds weren't actually from his games, they were new sounds made to be more "realistic" than cartoon-y.

---

Alsooo...

All credits go to @Aegis. for this beautiful masterpiece!

---

So, once again, I was messing around with Kirby's Adventure. While testing how Cannons and Warp Stars worked, they both had very odd outcomes:

Cannon:

When I got shot up from the Cannon I placed down to test, I was taken to some really odd room. Nightmare Orb's theme was playing, so I just assumed it was his or Nightmare's - maybe even a debug or unfinished room. I was standing on some pink blocks, and couldn't really do anything as there was no exits, so I could just walk around.

When walking around, the boundaries of the level are quite small, so I couldn't really explore. I decided to fly up, and then the background started glitching out, and revealed it was Nightmare Orb's boss fight stage! However, he wasn't present, so I just flew around the stage, haha.

After checking out the room, I started falling down. I expected to just fall into the solid ground that squishes Kirby if he's fighting Nightmare Orb too long, but the camera stopped following Kirby after a while. After a little bit of falling, the screen flashed, and then Nightmare Orb flew out, and Kirby came in with the Star Rod!

While fighting Nighmare Orb, the background started doing the same glitches it did when I was flying up while checking out the room. After I defeated him, though, something odd happened. Instead of the Warp Star appearing to take me to Popstar's moon to fight Nightmare himself, an odd sprite had appeared which was flashing. I flew over to it, and grabbed it. Kirby started falling down, until he hit some invisible ground, and then started walking, which I couldn't control or stop. After quite some time of walking, two other Kirby's appeared right next to me, and they started doing the Kirby Dance! Then, the screen faded out and back in, and I was taken to Vegetable Garden! I think the game thought I was fighting Nightmare Orb again, because I still had the Star Rod, and the screen started scrolling down. After a while of scrolling, the stage glitching out, and Kirby clipping through blocks, the screen scrolled off as it does when fighting Nightmare Orb, and I died...

Not exactly sure why any of this happened, but I'm going to go look into it, haha!

The Warp Star I was testing had done something a bit odd, although it was far shorter. The Warp Star launched off, and as the screen faded, it came back and the Warp Star flew into Nightmare Orb's boss room again. This time, however, things were different - Nightmare Orb didn't spawn in, and Kirby stayed on the Warp Star. Kirby actually flew out of the stage, which I got a bit confused by. The screen faded out once again, and when it came back, Kirby flew the Warp Star into Vegetable Valley, and crashed, so that's that.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Now we just play the waiting game and hope we don't get disappointed.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
CUSTOM KIRBY CONFIRMED

We have the following:

Final Cutter

Stone

Hammer

Inhale
OMG THE FINAL CUTTER PROJECTILE IS ****ING GONE? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

::cries:::

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I heard that he will be playable but just walks on the clay rope and might also have abilities to get like Kirby, probably why he doesn't have his spear.
Bandana Dee didn't have his spear in the majority of cutscenes for Kirby Return to Dreamland.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Watching the videos released today for Smash Bros. for 3DS in Japan, I was watching and noticed something...

I'm not sure if anybody noticed it, but Kirby uses an upgraded version of the sound effect he uses in his actual games when he inhales an opponent! I thought this was really cute, haha. The Warp Star actually uses an upgraded version of it's sound effects from the games instead of the Brawl one, which is very nice.

While I'm sure some of you are going to think that this is going to effect Bandana Dee's chances, the sound effects are very reminiscent of those found in Return to Dream Land and Triple Deluxe - I brought up the sounds, as in Brawl most of Kirby's sounds weren't actually from his games, they were new sounds made to be more "realistic" than cartoon-y.

---

Alsooo...

All credits go to @Aegis. for this beautiful masterpiece!

---

So, once again, I was messing around with Kirby's Adventure. While testing how Cannons and Warp Stars worked, they both had very odd outcomes:

Cannon:

When I got shot up from the Cannon I placed down to test, I was taken to some really odd room. Nightmare Orb's theme was playing, so I just assumed it was his or Nightmare's - maybe even a debug or unfinished room. I was standing on some pink blocks, and couldn't really do anything as there was no exits, so I could just walk around.

When walking around, the boundaries of the level are quite small, so I couldn't really explore. I decided to fly up, and then the background started glitching out, and revealed it was Nightmare Orb's boss fight stage! However, he wasn't present, so I just flew around the stage, haha.

After checking out the room, I started falling down. I expected to just fall into the solid ground that squishes Kirby if he's fighting Nightmare Orb too long, but the camera stopped following Kirby after a while. After a little bit of falling, the screen flashed, and then Nightmare Orb flew out, and Kirby came in with the Star Rod!

While fighting Nighmare Orb, the background started doing the same glitches it did when I was flying up while checking out the room. After I defeated him, though, something odd happened. Instead of the Warp Star appearing to take me to Popstar's moon to fight Nightmare himself, an odd sprite had appeared which was flashing. I flew over to it, and grabbed it. Kirby started falling down, until he hit some invisible ground, and then started walking, which I couldn't control or stop. After quite some time of walking, two other Kirby's appeared right next to me, and they started doing the Kirby Dance! Then, the screen faded out and back in, and I was taken to Vegetable Garden! I think the game thought I was fighting Nightmare Orb again, because I still had the Star Rod, and the screen started scrolling down. After a while of scrolling, the stage glitching out, and Kirby clipping through blocks, the screen scrolled off as it does when fighting Nightmare Orb, and I died...

Not exactly sure why any of this happened, but I'm going to go look into it, haha!

The Warp Star I was testing had done something a bit odd, although it was far shorter. The Warp Star launched off, and as the screen faded, it came back and the Warp Star flew into Nightmare Orb's boss room again. This time, however, things were different - Nightmare Orb didn't spawn in, and Kirby stayed on the Warp Star. Kirby actually flew out of the stage, which I got a bit confused by. The screen faded out once again, and when it came back, Kirby flew the Warp Star into Vegetable Valley, and crashed, so that's that.
Will be playing your Beta soon. Downloaded it. Can't wait to check out all these things myself.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
OMG THE FINAL CUTTER PROJECTILE IS ****ING GONE? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

::cries:::
Ooh, no, only on the Rising Cutter customization. On both Final Cutter (default) and Ground Wave (customize) you have the Final Cutter projectile, haha. No need to worry!

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
CUSTOM KIRBY CONFIRMED

We have the following:

Final Cutter

Stone

Hammer

Inhale
This warms my competitive heart, if these aren't banned. (lel)

kirby can get free combos off these custom moves. (it PLANTS THE OPPONENT ON THE GROUND, THAT EQUALS FREE SMASHES.)

kirby is gonna be beast again like his 64 days and I luv it.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
This warms my competitive heart, if these aren't banned. (lel)

kirby can get free combos off these custom moves. (it PLANTS THE OPPONENT ON THE GROUND, THAT EQUALS FREE SMASHES.)

kirby is gonna be beast again like his 64 days and I luv it.
What are the downsides though? Because I don't see one.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
@ Aunt Jemima Aunt Jemima

I recall you saying earlier you were able to replace Kirby with Bandana Dee while doing the single player mode on Return to Dreamland.

In Triple Deluxe, would it be possible to replace Kirby's in-game 3D model with Bandana Dee's (The one where he throws items to you) while using the Spear ability to make it seem like you're playing as him? Just wondering. They have similar body structures, so I can't imagine it would be too hard to do, right?

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
What are the downsides though? Because I don't see one.
Well, for the hammer it might take too long to use, so it might get punished. have you seen how laggy the side b in the air is? T_T

You know how predictable rock can be, they can just roll out of the way, but you can overcome that by footstool, meteor rock. The trick is to getting the footstool.

Cutter is also a predictable move, so the downside is mainly they'll see it coming, otherwise, if you can catch the opponent in it, you'll likely get a free combo.

So kirby's still gonna have to deal with his predictable moves, slow mobility, and short range. but if you let him get close you're pretty much a goner.

Last edited:
Top Bottom