• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Sometimes people will tell me Bandana Dee won't be in because Sakurai doesn't want to over-represent his own series.

But then we get:

16 enemies from Kid Icarus in Smash Run, even more than Mario. 6 items from Kid Icarus. 1 Assist Trophy from Kid Icarus, AND a new character from Kid Icarus.

So.. yeah. The former argument I mentioned is pretty much baseless now. And that POTD just goes to show it. I know Sakurai doesn't work for HAL and all, but he's still got some love for them. (Even if he didn't give Bandana Dee the role he has today)

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Sometimes people will tell me Bandana Dee won't be in because Sakurai doesn't want to over-represent his own series.

But then we get:

16 enemies from Kid Icarus in Smash Run, even more than Mario. 6 items from Kid Icarus. 1 Assist Trophy from Kid Icarus, AND a new character from Kid Icarus.

So.. yeah. The former argument I mentioned is pretty much baseless now. And that POTD just goes to show it. I know Sakurai doesn't work for HAL and all, but he's still got some love for them. (Even if he didn't give Bandana Dee the role he has today)
2 Kid Icarus Assist Trophies, Magnus and Phosphora...and I'm pretty sure the game will have more Kid Icarus content...
It's annoying, Kid Icarus has more content than Mario.
I'm still waiting for the Kirby Stage.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478

But then we get:

There two assist trophies, Magnus and Phosphora . Magnus is seen on E3 Demo Build but Phosphora was show in a screenshot alongside with Palutena in a animal crossing stage.

And Kirby is not overrepresented but Kirby has lot of enemies in smash run including a mini boss, Kirby always but always since melee and brawl, he get a retro stage, Melee (Dream Land 64), Brawl (Greens Greens Melee) and now Smash 4 (Halberd).

In each series there always 1 new and old stage. I hope a return to dream land or Triple deluxe stage in Smash 4.
After all Kirby is lacking of new stuff. Mostly it will added. (and the picture of the day it talk about the daybreak comparing with dragoon, he never forget about Kirby and its roundtable conference, it was holding Kirby amiibo all the time.)

I think Bandana Dee will have slight chance than other Kirby characters.

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman

But then we get:

Er... I don't know. Its weird when it comes down to it. Sakurai in the past has done this in the past, so I do feel it has a little relevancy in an odd sort of way. Its like the o12 argument. It has holes I it, lots of them. Its just... you can't deny the base mening of the reasons.

Also, we don't know Sakurai's feelings toward KIU. In a way, it could be a way to vent his like. It DID need more rep. because of the newest game. We also know that Sakurai likes to stay in the unknown a bin with other series to play it safe with them, which could explain the amount of KIU stuff we get.

BUT we may have something bigger on our side. Currently it seams Kirby is high tear this time around again. Could this be something?

In the end, he still is incredibly likely. Even with this bump in the road. We probably will get him in the end.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I remember I was debating someone about Bandana Dee's inclusion a while back.

I said "Fire Emblem has 4 characters, so why can't Kirby?" They replied to me by saying that Fire Emblem got 4 because of the extremely high sales on Fire Emblem Awakening.

But, you want to know something? Worldwide, Awakening sold 1.31 million. Kirby's Return to Dreamland sold 1.61 million worldwide.

So, uh, that's an invalid argument, right? Don't get me wrong, it DID sell well for a Fire Emblem game, but the Kirby game that had Bandana Dee's most prominent role in it still sold more.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I remember I was debating someone about Bandana Dee's inclusion a while back.

I said "Fire Emblem has 4 characters, so why can't Kirby?" They replied to me by saying that Fire Emblem got 4 because of the extremely high sales on Fire Emblem Awakening.

But, you want to know something? Worldwide, Awakening sold 1.31 million. Kirby's Return to Dreamland sold 1.61 million worldwide.

So, uh, that's an invalid argument, right? Don't get me wrong, it DID sell well for a Fire Emblem game, but the Kirby game that had Bandana Dee's most prominent role in it still sold more.
Return to Dreamland seems to have sold better in Japan and in other places over Epic Yarn. I think the US is the one place where sales were much more skewed towards Epic Yarn. That could have been influenced at the time by the kind of press Epic Yarn was getting for just looking different and when so much of the gaming journalism was rampant with NINTENDO IS DOOMED. WII HAS NO NEW AND FRESH GAMES. However Return to Dreamland seems to have done a lot better with traditional fans from what I have seen expressed. It's also influenced Kirby's Final Smash. So I think we'll definitely get a Return to Dreamland stage or SOMETHING.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
Can we keep this discussion focused on Bandanna Dee or the Kirby series? I think diverting towards discussion of other franchises such as Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem is fine, but not if it has zero relevance to this support thread. Bandanna Dee's chances have nothing to do with those franchises and are based on his own merits as a character. We can discuss the other content in their appropriate forums.

Last edited:

Gooper Blooper

Smash Apprentice
gotta throw in my support to this thread too! The more villains the better! I mean I know he isn't exactly a villainous character but technically King Dedede is a villain and thus his right hand man too :p

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
So how you guys are gonna to react if Bandana Dee is not playable. Personally , I'd be fine with it but that's mainly because by the time the next installment comes, he'd a shoo-in:reverse:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
So how you guys are gonna to react if Bandana Dee is not playable. Personally , I'd be fine with it but that's mainly because by the time the next installment comes, he'd a shoo-in:reverse:
A tad bit upset, as my top 5 were Lucina, Starfy, Dillon, Ridley and BDee, if that happens, I have to pray to Sakurai Ridley DOES end up being playable. But if he is an Assist Trophy he will at least have a better chance as he could pull a Little Mac! Unlike Starfy...Why must Sakurai ruin 2 of my dreams already?

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
I'll be a bit disappointed as my biggest interest in the smash bros series comes from Kirby related material anyway. So if there no new Kirby something, I'll just maybe wait for Kirby Fighters Z and Dedede Drum Dash Z to get translated and released here. Get those first.

Not like I don't like the franchise otherwise or even other franchises. I do. However I have priorities. Especially financially.

I definitely will eventually get the games

Last edited:

Lloyd91

Smash Apprentice
I would be pretty disappointed, but I already have Sonic and who I wanted to be in (Palutena) so I can wait until smash 5 as long as I have one character I love to play as.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I think he's got a good enough chance to not be worried all that much.

The bigger question is, what role do you want him to take if he doesn't end up as a character?

candyissweet

Smash Apprentice
I would say he would work best as an assassin. The spear is a mid-ranged weapon and it has a really fast attack speed. So he can be a hit-and-run character and deal a ton of damage when up close. His knockback will probably launch him back a lot because he is seen to be really weak in Kirby Super Star Ultra.

Lloyd91

Smash Apprentice

The bigger question is, what role do you want him to take if he doesn't end up as a character?
Assist trophy, it gives him the best chance to be in smash 5

I would say he would work best as an assassin. The spear is a mid-ranged weapon and it has a really fast attack speed. So he can be a hit-and-run character and deal a ton of damage when up close. His knockback will probably launch him back a lot because he is seen to be really weak in Kirby Super Star Ultra.
I imagine that he would be a quick striker who is not that strong but can string together really long combos but has a long knockback like that of :kirby2:

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro

Glass cannon because I love those kinds of characters even though I'm no good with them but they are hell of fun to play as.
edit: ooops did not read properly silly me,
I would say assist or would funny to see him as a stage boss

Last edited:

Servine

Smash Cadet
Bandana Dee would be a great glass cannon. I feel like he'd be a good balance between offense on the ground and in the air, but bad defensively.

Last edited:

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
I think his stats would make more sense for high speed and balanced medium attack, and defense.

D

Deleted member

I think that Bandana Dee would be a speedy character that can rack up damage real easily and he would be good both in the air and on the ground. In that respect, I can see him juggle his opponents like Luigi.
What comes at that price is some poor defenses and he gets KO'd real easily due to his weight.

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
I doubt three people is enough to warrant an "all agree"

But this is just for fun as far as I'm concerned, so I don't care.
xD I know I know but it so fits him though and Mr. Sakurai does want to bring new things to the table so it does feel only natural to making so a light weight bruiser

IronFish

Smash Ace
so we all agree he is best as a glass cannon yes?
Well I think there is no way at the moment to speculate on what he could do in the game to fit in with his character at the moment, because his character doesn't really have a smash play-style to fit in with it, so we should just wait and see.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
A twist on glass cannon. With his spear's range, he's safer in the sense he's less likely to get punished. Riskier in the sense that he gets punished hard when it happens.

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
Or, he could trip over when he is attacked, instead of having low defence, making him have a huge disadvantage, though he does large amounts of damage.

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
so every time he's hit he automatically trips

yeahno
Not really, more I had the idea that if it is a strong move, or if it breaks a large combo of not getting hit as he uses melee attacks, and he would do lots of damage, and have a lot of range with special moves.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Not really, more I had the idea that if it is a strong move, or if it breaks a large combo of not getting hit as he uses melee attacks, and he would do lots of damage, and have a lot of range with special moves.
If he got hit by a strong move though, he wouldn't trip. He would just be sent flying across the screen like everyone else.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Guy's don't worry, I don't see Sakurai giving all this love to his adopted child, without giving some attention to his baby, I just think he is saving all the Kirby stuff for a big reveal or something.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
what if they gave him the marth mechanic you know deals more damage at the tip
(side note its me TP8bitPyro I cant use my facebook account to log in here It will not let me log in using it anymore some stupid glitch >.> so this is me from now on....)

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
New screen up for Smash 3DS. More trophies. Luckily no sign of a Bandana Dee trophy yet. Looks like the 3DS version will have more trophies than the Wii U version.

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
That's a cool trophy.
I feel like no matter what, bandana dee will get in the game as something other than a trophy. Assist Trophy, Playable, even as a stage hazard for a kirby stage.

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
That's a cool trophy.
I feel like no matter what, bandana dee will get in the game as something other than a trophy. Assist Trophy, Playable, even as a stage hazard for a kirby stage.
Even if it does happen, Phosphora was originally seen first as a regular trophy, then we saw a screenshot of her with Palutena that proves she's an Assist Trophy.

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
That's a cool trophy.
hey if he somehow does not make it in- in the initial roster there is always DLC if they do it in a good way and not you know.... EA way or any other company that ****ed up all DLC

Pokefan203

Smash Apprentice
hey if he somehow does not make it in- in the initial roster there is always DLC if they do it in a good way and not you know.... EA way or any other company that ****ed up all DLC
At least nintendo doesn't make that bad DL-- (Sees new mario kart 8 DLC) nevermind, just hope he's in the default roster.

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
The Smash Bible is coming. Within these pages, the answer to our question lies.

Top Bottom