• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bandana Dee, the Spear Master! (v(- ' ' -)>↑ ~ Dee wait is killing us...

Do you want Bandana Dee in SSB4?

• Total voters

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Hello Bandana Dee people. I thought i'd share my drawing i made today here because it features your character!

Hope you like it!

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Hello Bandana Dee people. I thought i'd share my drawing i made today here because it features your character!

Hope you like it!
LOL Ridley's too big for the picture that's for sure. I never understood the Ridley choice but I don't judge since I don't know much about him. I've played Super Metroid and some of Prime (Have to finish that one). He's popular so if he makes it in, cool.
Bandana Dee looks so cute in this picture. It's all awesome.

Anyway, everyone try to stay positive or cautious. We really don't know for sure whose being confirmed next. After the Robin/Lucina reveal, we just can't say. So I think it's okay to believe viable characters have a chance right now.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I would like to remind everybody that we already have Knuckle Joe as an assist trophy, and I'm highly doubting that Bandana Dee would turn into an assist instead of much more fit characters, such as Adeleine, Gooey, or Dream Land 2 and 3's Animal Friends. I would think that Adeleine would be the most fit for a second Kirby assist trophy, as she could paint items such as Maxim Tomatoes and throw them out to help the fighters, or she could use some of Ice Cream Island's Boss, Paint Roller's attacks. This includes Waddle Dee's, Nimbus, Cars, Baseballs, Parasols, Bombs, Microphone, or even Kirby. These would all work out correctly as painted enemies to be thrown out and wouldn't be confused with other things due to the fact that they're all crude paintings. The other biggest contender for Kirby's second assist trophy would be his Animal Friends. This assist trophy could use Triple Deluxe's assets from Kirby Fighters stage, Coo's Forest. The assist trophy could randomly select Rick, Coo, or Kine that can come through and attack opposing players.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
404 not found. Try uploading it to imgur.

Also I think our moveset ideas are really weak in comparison to what Sakurai could come up with. We need something gimmicky enough to make Bandana Dee feel like a completely new idea of character. Like how Rosalina is a puppet character, Robin has limited usage on his/her tomes, Mega Man, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Pac-Man all have unorthodox movesets, Little Mac sucks in the air but great on the ground, what would Bandana Dee need to make him feel unique?

If you were in Sakurai's shoes, how would you make Bandana Dee feel super unique and interesting besides him using a Spear and maybe a Parasol?

The Image Works!:
Maybe because he's an opponent originally in Megaton punch, make him half melee fighter/half weapon fighter. You'll have to master close up combat and combat with reach. It would give him versatility.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Maybe because he's an opponent originally in Megaton punch, make him half melee fighter/half weapon fighter. You'll have to master close up combat and combat with reach. It would give him versatility.
This could work, but the fact that he is the easiest opponent in Megaton Punch (level one opponent) would mean that he would be horrible when close-up, sort of how Little Mac is. I don't think that this would happen, however, as Bandana Dee would more-so focus on his Spear, as that is what he is most known to actually fight with.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
This could work, but the fact that he is the easiest opponent in Megaton Punch (level one opponent) would mean that he would be horrible when close-up, sort of how Little Mac is. I don't think that this would happen, however, as Bandana Dee would more-so focus on his Spear, as that is what he is most known to actually fight with.
Yeah I dunno I feel like his spear is gimmick enough. NO OTHER CHARACTER USES ONE. It's different from a sword too because it's got even MORE reach. Meaning he can attack characters from further away and be no where within their reach of attack or grab. Unless Melee/weapon were mixed in a way that could maybe reflect that more. I mean he still does split the ground in half with his Megaton punch so he's STRONG. Stronger than a usual waddle dee is. Maybe if anything, having his spear do most of the damage but in increments, and than his punches could than do real damage and land a knock out? x_x Otherwise I think spear can work unless Sakurai can work with something else... and Sakurai's team is REALLY creative. No one thought characters like Pac-man or Wii Fit Trainer could make sense until they saw them in action.

Last edited:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I feel the opposite....I'm just feeling down....

I'm scared of:

(August 1st, PoTD!)

"To celebrate the release of the first Kirby Game, here is Bandana Dee as a Trophy! He may appear weak, but he has heart and will always follow his King!"

I'm just trying my best to accept that we are probably just getting Shulk, Chorus Men, and Ridley if we are lucky.
That can easily be turned around.

"Pic of the day?! No! It's an announcement! I'd like to reveal a newcomer this Sunday. (On August 3rd, Sakurai's Birthday). We will be live-streaming the event on the official website, instead of doing the normal routine through an event such as a Nintendo Direct."

I hope that's what happens :D

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
That can easily be turned around.

"Pic of the day?! No! It's an announcement! I'd like to reveal a newcomer this Sunday. (On August 3rd, Sakurai's Birthday). We will be live-streaming the event on the official website, instead of doing the normal routine through an event such as a Nintendo Direct."

I hope that's what happens :D
omg I just got a new job and I work days so I will miss such an exciting announcement but I'd still be so for it.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
Aw no support for Bandana Dee outside of here. That's a shame. I wish the Kirby games had just as
My eye twitched for half a second. If you used unknown artwork I would have been happy for exactly 5 seconds.
Looks like the art straight from Return to Dreamland. Has me hype though

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
I know it won't have the same artwork, but they need to make sure that the Bandana is visible on the "CHALLENGER APPROACHING!" banner. Just so people aren't confused? In which case you PROBABLY should have used the Triple Deluxe artwork. Still epic nonetheless.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Well, I lost another one of my wanted newcomers (Takamaru) so now I am hoping even more than ever for Bandana Dee.

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
lets hope he does not let us down. Bring it on Nintendo direct I'm ready for a reveal

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
You know what? Count me as a supporter! All you guys convinced me with your devotion to this character! He sounds like a ton of fun and I love the Kirby series so much!

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
It's too bad people don't see Bandana Dee as likely or a good candidate and most of that coming from not understanding who the character is in the first place outside the Kirby fandom x_x

I think what matters most though is who makes a good rep for FANS of the franchise. Who do the fans think make the most sense. Outsiders wouldn't understand as well as the folks who keep up with the games and know what characters have the most impact across games and as being memorable. It's because of that that I think Bandana Waddle Dee is the next best rep for the Kirby franchise.

What do you guys think if he were included but unlockable/secret character? So he's not announced. Could be possible as well?

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Bandana Dee definitely has the possibility to be unlockable, but there's never been an unlockable Kirby character. There's also the chance that he could become an unlockable character due to the fact that it WOULD be the 4th Kirby character, and generally speaking, that would allow for the main four Kirby characters to be on the roster, which also means that the most worthy four Kirby characters are on the roster. This lessens the option for a new Kirby franchise representative after Bandana Dee, so Sakurai may make him an unlockable as we may not see another Kirby rep for a while. I do hope that he is revealed soon, but if not, we can hope that he's unlockable.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
Why did I come here......Now I Actually Want Bandana Dee, and he'll probably suffer Takamaru's fate......WHY?!

Bandana Dee definitely has the possibility to be unlockable, but there's never been an unlockable Kirby character. There's also the chance that he could become an unlockable character due to the fact that it WOULD be the 4th Kirby character, and generally speaking, that would allow for the main four Kirby characters to be on the roster, which also means that the most worthy four Kirby characters are on the roster. This lessens the option for a new Kirby franchise representative after Bandana Dee, so Sakurai may make him an unlockable as we may not see another Kirby rep for a while. I do hope that he is revealed soon, but if not, we can hope that he's unlockable.
I Get the feeling Meta Knight may be made unlockable this time around

It's too bad people don't see Bandana Dee as likely or a good candidate and most of that coming from not understanding who the character is in the first place outside the Kirby fandom x_x
Oh, I understand who he is, but within my own Roster, I just don't know where I'd put him, And I Don't Want to Expand the Roster, Seeing as I have 54 Characters Already

Last edited:

Shiny Porygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyPory
Why did I come here......Now I Actually Want Bandana Dee, and he'll probably suffer Takamaru's fate......WHY?!

Oh, I understand who he is, but within my own Roster, I just don't know where I'd put him, And I Don't Want to Expand the Roster, Seeing as I have 54 Characters Already
Meta Knight could be made unlockable, just as Bandana Dee could. Heck, probably half of the characters on the site right now are unlockable.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Unlockable characters traditionally have slightly less star power compared to others, or are clone-ish. Reason why Luigi, Ganondorf, and ROB are unlockable.

While Bandana Dee is reaching the level of the Kirby's big 3, he's still behind them in importance. So, I believe he will be unlockable. That said, it probably won't affect his chances of getting shown before release.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Do you guys think we will get more Kirby Smash Bros. related information on these dates:

1. Kirby Super Star™ (Super NES™, Sept. 1996 release)
  2. Kirby’s Dream Land 3 (Super NES, Nov. 1997release)

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Do you guys think we will get more Kirby Smash Bros. related information on these dates:

1. Kirby Super Star™ (Super NES™, Sept. 1996 release)
  2. Kirby’s Dream Land 3 (Super NES, Nov. 1997release)
Most likely nothing for Dream Land 3 unless a new stage. May be something for Super Star, but the Japan release was in May. September is the NA release and I don't know if Sakurai is going to celebrate Kirby on a NA release.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I noticed something.

Barring the hype suck of Gematusu, as more characters as confirmed the hype for remaining candidates increases. With the Gemastsu leak dead I've seen the Krystal, Waddle Dee and Dixie Kong threads explode.

K. Rool and Ridley were always abuzz but they seemed to be exceptions.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I noticed something.

Barring the hype suck of Gematusu, as more characters as confirmed the hype for remaining candidates increases. With the Gemastsu leak dead I've seen the Krystal, Waddle Dee and Dixie Kong threads explode.

K. Rool and Ridley were always abuzz but they seemed to be exceptions.
I think it is mainly because Kremlings were spotted in Smash Run, hype riser for King K. Rool Supporters, and the fact that we have not seen Ridley's model in full detail have given Ridley Supporters hope.

The Gematsu leak being dead has mainly changed what people think of "Leaks that are set in stone" and the Krystal, Bandanna Dee, and Dixie Kong threads have the supporters who thought Gematsu gave their candidate no chances.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord

I say expand!! Haha, well I dunno. This roster is already past previous ones contrary to what was originally said about them.
I think it is mainly because Kremlings were spotted in Smash Run, hype riser for King K. Rool Supporters, and the fact that we have not seen Ridley's model in full detail have given Ridley Supporters hope.

The Gematsu leak being dead has mainly changed what people think of "Leaks that are set in stone" and the Krystal, Bandanna Dee, and Dixie Kong threads have the supporters who thought Gematsu gave their candidate no chances.
I also think it's because we still haven't seen much from the Kirby franchise either as far as reveals. No stages outside of Halberd, no MK veteran reveal, we haven't seen more of Dedede's moves/final smash as well, etc.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
I say expand!! Haha, well I dunno. This roster is already past previous ones contrary to what was originally said about them.

I also think it's because we still haven't seen much from the Kirby franchise either as far as reveals. No stages outside of Halberd, no MK veteran reveal, we haven't seen more of Dedede's moves/final smash as well, etc.
But I've already got K.Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Isaac, Medusa, Krystal, Shulk, and a Rhythm Heaven Rep. in addition to every character announced already, plus everyone from Brawl sans Poke'mon Trainer and R.O.B........ to Add Bandana Dee Brings us up to 57, and Bandana Dee would be kind of underwhelming to anyone who isn't a Kirby fan.... the again, Wii Fit Trainer......

I just Don't Know Who to Cut!

TP8bitPyro

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TPPyro
if it makes anyone feel better about the roster size... there is no set size we would not actually know how big it will get

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
But I've already got K.Rool, Dixie, Ridley, Isaac, Medusa, Krystal, Shulk, and a Rhythm Heaven Rep. in addition to every character announced already, plus everyone from Brawl sans Poke'mon Trainer and R.O.B........ to Add Bandana Dee Brings us up to 57, and Bandana Dee would be kind of underwhelming to anyone who isn't a Kirby fan.... the again, Wii Fit Trainer......

This is not true...

Also, you don't need to add Bandana Dee to your roster, but if you really want to add him, cut Medusa or Krystal.

kirby_queen

Smash Lord

Well characters like Pokemon Trainer the Ridley are underwhelming to me not being a big fan of either. Doesn't mean that non fans should decide what gets in for other fandoms. Kirby happens to be really popular in Japan and pretty beloved all over the world. Maybe here specifically it doesn't have the excitement of other franchise (definitely bigger than Rhythm Heaven that's for sure) but it's a pretty classic and long running franchise and a huge influence on the smash franchise itself. On my own roster and for my own excitement he definitely makes it as a character I'd like. I'm pretty insulted you'd compare him to Wii Fit Trainer though, humph.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

Will let's say we get dark pit becuase i see him more likely than medusa.Dixie or K roil were not getting both in my opinion.Isssac,Krysal,Ridley,and shulk can stay.Get rid of Rhythm heaven for Bandanna dee and no one's hurt.So that way we get 3 Kid icarus reps.7 newcomers along with one of those is the best damn spear user ever.

Last edited by a moderator:

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
This is not true...

Also, you don't need to add Bandana Dee to your roster, but if you really want to add him, cut Medusa or Krystal.
I Suppose One doesn't HAVE to be a fan of Kirby to want Bandana Dee, and Vice-Versa. but Generally Speaking, Bandana Dee looks almost Identical to the Generic Kirby Enemy, which, while Adorable, Doesn't seem like it would something all that special to most people who don't know of his role in the Kirby games.

Well characters like Pokemon Trainer the Ridley are underwhelming to me not being a big fan of either. Doesn't mean that non fans should decide what gets in for other fandoms. Kirby happens to be really popular in Japan and pretty beloved all over the world. Maybe here specifically it doesn't have the excitement of other franchise (definitely bigger than Rhythm Heaven that's for sure) but it's a pretty classic and long running franchise and a huge influence on the smash franchise itself. On my own roster and for my own excitement he definitely makes it as a character I'd like. I'm pretty insulted you'd compare him to Wii Fit Trainer though, humph.
Don't Get the Wrong Idea! I love Bandana Dee, and I think he's an awesome character! But I can't help but get the feeling that people will find him generic, as Wii Fit Trainer was. though, I suppose there are people who'd Find Ridley Generic......My Appologies

Will let's say we get dark pit becuase i see him more likely than medusa.Dixie or K roil were not getting both in my opinion.Isssac,Krysal,Ridley,and shulk can stay.Get rid of Rhythm heaven for Bandanna dee and no one's hurt.So that way we get 3 Kid icarus reps.7 newcomers along with one of those is the best damn spear user ever.
So, I REALLY Doubt Dark Pit is anything more than an Alt., and I'd rather have Medusa anyways. I Don't see why we cant get both Dixie and K.Rool if Fire Emblem got 4 reps (DK is one of Nintendo's top-selling series), And Yeah, I'll Keep Ridley, Isaac, Krystal, and Shulk. Rhythm Heaven still has the Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run, though.... Fine, I'll Axe RH for Now

kirby_queen

Smash Lord
This is not true...

I Suppose One doesn't HAVE to be a fan of Kirby to want Bandana Dee, and Vice-Versa. but Generally Speaking, Bandana Dee looks almost Identical to the Generic Kirby Enemy, which, while Adorable, Doesn't seem like it would something all that special to most people who don't know of his role in the Kirby games.

Don't Get the Wrong Idea! I love Bandana Dee, and I think he's an awesome character! But I can't help but get the feeling that people will find him generic, as Wii Fit Trainer was. though, I suppose there are people who'd Find Ridley Generic......My Appologies

So, I REALLY Doubt Dark Pit is anything more than an Alt., and I'd rather have Medusa anyways. I Don't see why we cant get both Dixie and K.Rool if Fire Emblem got 4 reps (DK is one of Nintendo's top-selling series), And Yeah, I'll Keep Ridley, Isaac, Krystal, and Shulk. Rhythm Heaven still has the Sneaky Spirits in Smash Run, though.... Fine, I'll Axe RH for Now
The argument that he'd be generic is a bit off though when you consider characters like Yoshi are from a race of other Yoshi and I suppose generic as well as the Pokemon. So I don't know that I'd consider that.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Just a quick question of opinion;
If Banana-Slamma-Dana Dee had a voice, what would it sound like?
For me, I'd picture him having Polar's voice (The Black Luma with Blue Eyes, Rosalina's Right-hand Luma) from Mario Galaxy 1.
The little "Mreeh!" noise he makes reminds me of Bandana Dee.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
and Bandana Dee would be kind of underwhelming to anyone who isn't a Kirby fan.... the again, Wii Fit Trainer......!
Wii Fitt fans? xD
I see him in the same position as palutena, is important and people loves it :p (for some generic reason).

'm pretty insulted you'd compare him to Wii Fit Trainer though, humph.
You find everything insulting :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom