• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Back of Japanese Boxart Surfaces on Retail Card

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While the box art for Super Smash Bros. for 3DS surfaced earlier this summer, there had been no other official retail images of the product...until now. With roughly twenty-five days between now and the Japanese release, there will be tons of information swirling about the game both official and unofficial, and the reveal of the Japanese digital retail card is one of many new pieces of information to come.

The front and back of the JP digital code card for the 3DS version translated
This was translated by Kantopia, a blog that focuses on translating Japanese materials and showcasing the progress as well as using digital editing software to show the translation instead of providing a textual-based translation. The site also helped translate the Famitsu character scans. Click here to go see the digital purchase card translations.

Some have expressed that this could be fake but judging from the quality and consistency between both the front and back boxart, it looks legit. Here is the Japanese version; untranslated.

The Japanese purchase card
The backside displays two particular features: Field Smash or more commonly known as "Smash Run" and the customization options and indicates players can swap customized character between the 3DS and the Wii U. In addition, it appears there is a Streetpass game titled "Streetpass Battle" and is considered a mini game. The back boxart also gives various important information such as slot space, game sizes, and legal information.

Finally, the back boxart features the companies involved/featured in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS. They are as follows:

Original Game
  • Nintendo
  • HAL Laboratory, Inc.
Characters
  • Nintendo
  • HAL Laboratory, Inc.
  • Pokemon
  • Creatures Inc.
  • GAME FREAK Inc.
  • INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS
  • SEGA
  • CAPCOM CO., LTD
  • BANDAI NAMCO Games, Inc
The characters are important part because it may give the public an idea of what characters will or won't be make an appearance. Kirby falls under HAL Laboratory, Inc. Pokemon falls under the Pokemon company, Creatures Inc., and GAME FREAK, Inc. and Fire Emblem falls under INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS. Obviously, Sonic belongs to SEGA, Mega Man belongs to CAPCOM, and Pac Man belongs to BANDAI NAMCO. HAL Laboratories and CREATURES Inc are involved with Mother/Earthbound. However, some notable companies that are not present here have raised various concerns:

• APE, Inc: Despite Mother/Earthbound being involved with HAL Laboratories and Creatures, Inc., APE, Inc. was credited for Mother/Creatures in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. While unlikely, this could potentially mean that Ness and Lucas will not be making a return.
  • Konami Digital Entertainment, CO., LTD.: Konami was credited for Snake's inclusion into the game. With the companies name being absent on the back of the boxart, this certainly does not bode well for Snake's chances, given SEGA, CAPCOM, and BANDAI NAMCO were all credited.
  • Monolith Soft: A recently purchased 1st party developer for Nintendo and the company behind "Xenoblade Chronicles". Shulk is a popular choice for a roster spot. Monolith Soft would most likely be treated like GAME FREAK and INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS as they have ownership over the characters.
However, according to astute Reddit user Sages, this may not be proof that these characters are deconfirmed at all. They say:

The copyright labels, directly reference assets depicted on the artwork of this promotional material (in this case box art). There is no content on that box art containing assets owned by Hideo Kojima, Ubisoft, etc, thus those copyrights are omitted.

Here is an example: this is the box for Mario & Luigi Superstars Saga which features a Cameo by Geno. There is no copyright label for Square-Enix on this box. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal simply puts a generic all 3rd party characters are owned by their respective companies clause. ALSO NOTICE THERE IS NO UBISOFT COPYRIGHT, as Rayman is a trophy within the game, but not featured on this box. There is no definitive law that says all copyrighted parties be referenced on the label of the box.

Regardless of what this means to characters, it is great to see the back boxart for Super Smash Bros. 3DS and maybe we might get a glimpse of the top portion as well! To discuss more about this news visit the thread, A Look at the Japanese Packaging. Information such as this will be popping until and after the release so make Smashboards your home for every and all Smash-related news!

Venus cannot wait until he can get his hands on the Japanese version. But until then, he would love it if people followed him on twitter at @VenustoBloom. Thank you to @The Derrit for helping organizing and editing the information.

ask_thedoctor

Smash Rookie
Good stuff. I don't think anyone will be surprised if Snake doesn't return, and I'm not so sure about Ness. Lucas is almost assuredly out, I would think. I don't know anything about Shulk though.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Guess its a bad day to be a Ness/Lucas/Snake fan.
Well i would say is a bad day for Snake fans, but we all know that Ness is comming and maybe Lucas, also even if the company doesn't appear in the box, we know they are ingame cause we have seen Mr. Saturn as an item once again and the one who have the copyright for Mr. Saturn is APE, Inc...

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I've said this before and I ill say it again It would be Dishonorable of Sakurai to not include one of Shegasto Itoi's Creations.

Derekburn

Smash Apprentice
One thing i noticed is that it doesn't say that the game is playable on 2ds, i wonder why.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Guess its a bad day to be a Ness/Lucas/Snake fan.
This doesn't mean anything against Ness or Lucas.

The reason Ape Inc. is not mentioned there is because that company was reformed into Creatures Inc. several years ago.
The mention of Creatures Inc. in fact reinforces Ness's presence in Smash.

Last edited:

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445
I'm 99% sure Ness will be in. I mean, they have the copyright rights to put Mr. Saturn in there! :p Let's just hope Ness returns >_<
Mr.Saturn and reflection badge also i think there was a enemy in smashrun so obviously we will see a mother character idk why people are doubting one of the 12 are over when we got CF back

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
Mr.Saturn and reflection badge also i think there was a enemy in smashrun so obviously we will see a mother character idk why people are doubting one of the 12 are over when we got CF back
Ness is just being held secret,but what do you guys think about Shulk(i need him in the game)

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
Idk why people think Ness is definitely not going anywhere.
Not only do we not even know for sure what they consider when reusing veterans, but Ness was planned to be cut from Brawl at one point so that Lucas could take his place. He could very well not come back in this game, and same goes for Jigglypuff. The fact that Ness was planned to be cut kinda discredits this whole "the original 12 are never leaving" argument to a degree. It seems plausible that they'll always stick around, but you can't really be too sure.

I'd just rather wait for Sakurai to outright confirm/deconfirm characters, or wait till the game comes out so we can find out if he happened to throw in hidden characters not shown in the official website prior to the game's release. Everyone keeps making these types of claims and assumptions and for all they know they could be dead wrong. Like, I personally would love to have the original 12 back, as well as the Brawl roster (particularly Falco), but I'm not going to be too sure about their inclusions until Sakurai lets us know that they are in fact present in one way or another.

Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
Mr. Saturn and the Franklin Badge tell me Ness will return, and I say good riddance to Snake. As for Shulk, yeah it'd be cool if he was in the game but if he has to be sacrificed for consistency just to keep Snake out, then it's a sacrifice I'd be more than willing to make.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
Damn, dudes. You just had to go back to the first Smash4 trailer. Didn't say "Sega" or "Intelligent Systems" at the end.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
Shulk might be a secret, and not credited on the box to keep it secret.
Monolith Soft would have to be credited I think.

Mr. Saturn and the Franklin Badge tell me Ness will return, and I say good riddance to Snake. As for Shulk, yeah it'd be cool if he was in the game but if he has to be sacrificed for consistency just to keep Snake out, then it's a sacrifice I'd be more than willing to make.
So you would be willing to sacrifice a great Character that represents a Series and a unique moveset?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
I think Ness is gonna return.
We got Mr. Saturn and Frankling badge.
After all. Im really worry about a rhythm heaven presentation.
But there need gotta be in somewhere

After all: Above are the most important company working in smash bros.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Personally, I think only companys with playable characters get listed in the boxart. Heck, Monolith soft physically worked on Brawl and they weren't listed then.

And I'm very, very doubtful we'll get updated boxart for the release. Especially if we get a real, English one. Why go through the trouble of translating fake boxart? Heck, why bother making fake boxart in the first place? And empty placeholder would of worked just fine.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
And I'm very, very doubtful we'll get updated boxart for the release. Especially if we get a real, English one. Why go through the trouble of translating fake boxart? Heck, why bother making fake boxart in the first place? And empty placeholder would of worked just fine.
That's like asking why fake leaks are made, people are sometimes just mean. :p

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
Ness better return over Lucus, maybe he's being held back cus he's getting a bit of a moveset overhaul or something. Beats me.
Ness is in,lucas im unsure about,Sakyurai did want almost everyone from Brawl back

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
I was going to bring up the missing Ubisoft copyright, but the article beat me to it.

However, Rayman is notably absent from the image in the top right, which includes Mega Man, Pac-Man, and Sonic. If Rayman's trophy was teasing that he's a playable character, you'd think the box art would have an updated screenshot with him included since they're clearly showing off the third-party reps... unless he's jumping over their heads, and some clever trolling editing left him hidden for now.

The same can be said for Snake. Shulk... not sure, the fact that Nintendo bought Monolith sort of makes that a bit fuzzy.

Last edited:

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
Are there, like, any unlockable characters?
Shulk,ness,wario,ganondorf,ice climbers,Rob?,lucas?,mr game& watch,a few newcomers that were revealed too

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't on the back box art of smash 64 it didn't credit to Ness' company?

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
Ness is just being held secret,but what do you guys think about Shulk(i need him in the game)
I honestly am 50/50 about Shulk being in. His company isn't on the box, which doesn't mean a whole ton, but he also doesn't have any Smash Run enemy's so I don't know. He is a very highly requested character though.

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
Warning Received
I honestly am 50/50 about Shulk being in. His company isn't on the box, which doesn't mean a whole ton, but he also doesn't have any Smash Run enemy's so I don't know. He is a very highly requested character though.
i have a video on this subject

Last edited by a moderator:

CrossbowPig

Smash Cadet
NNID
CrossbowPig
3DS FC
2621-2883-4274
I'm going to remain optimistic about Ness and Lucas, and instead choose to get excited for the Streetpass battle option.
Although, being that I don't live in Japan or New York City, I doubt I'm going to get any tags other than my brother.
Curse you, not-so-densely-populated-areas!

Xenado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stevoman810
3DS FC
4699-7704-3965
I'm going to remain optimistic about Ness and Lucas, and instead choose to get excited for the Streetpass battle option.
Although, being that I don't live in Japan or New York City, I doubt I'm going to get any tags other than my brother.
Curse you, not-so-densely-populated-areas!
Don`t you have friends...

Top Bottom