• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Southwest AZOne: BIG$MONEY$TOURNAMENT Jan. 6th.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey Forward, I was wondering if it would be possible for you to make some sort of announcement (at the event, I mean) about people putting names on when they play matches, so that we can get footage. Cuz there's no way we can hope to get anything sorted if I have 20 cassette tapes filled with unmarked Fox ditto's, if you catch my meaning. Perhaps just for the bracket maybe? (Not as crucial during pools, assuming there will be them)

Everyone put your names on when you play. We'll never be able to get footage if you don't! Thanks a lot in advance!

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
That would save ALTF4 some major testicle pain. Everyone must put in their smash tag.

I've never been to a major tournament--would someone please explain the significance of pools and how they contribute to the actual bracket?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Umm, pools is something they do in large tourneys. What you do is separate everyone into a bunch of groups of usually like 6 or so people called "pools". Those people do a round robin tournament within themselves. Then the top 1 or 2 people (depending on how it's set up) from each pool advances to a tournament bracket where they play like normal.

The point is twofold. One: People that aren't very good are guaranteed to play at least 5 games. Rather than just being knocked out immediately by the likes of a sandbagging Tony.

Second: You can separate people into the pools manually to ensure that the so called "good" players are apart from each other, plus so that out of state people don't come all this way just to play 5 matches against people they already know.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
That sounds good. That clears up a lot of things. So it's basically guaranteed that a so called "good" person will be in each pool?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol! Well, as you could probably have seen (from that huge "tournament" in glendale), round robin can be time consuming. We'll only be able to do it if you get a lot of TV's. I'm looking at everyone. Like Sizzle, Hanki/Butters (remember your remote :)), Myself, Goop, G-Mo, Any other assorted STB'ers that I can't recall the names of.

Even if you only have a TV or just a GC, just bring it. I'll have an extra VCR to bring, for a TV without AV cables.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Haha! Tony, I didn't mean to be hatin'! I'm sorry... I just meant that you don't even really need to be paying attention to beat the likes of me. :)

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
OK, I'll bring my TV/VCR, Cube, and an extra VCR. Do we have the tape situation figured out?

It'd be a shame if we didn't have enough cassettes.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Maxxx, in a couple of days I'm gonna run and pick up some new cassettes. I wonder how much we should need? If the tourney runs 10 hours long, it'll be like 3 tapes per TV at least. If we have like 3 or 4 TV's taping we've got somewhere around 16 tapes needed realistically. I wonder how much they cost?

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I'm not sure either, but I can use my employee discount to get them cheaper.

We'll have to come up with a strategy for recording, though; lots of footage and tape space will be wasted if people record too much of the idle time in the character selection screen and the screen after the match.

Should there be recording instructions for the VCRs?

forward

Smash Champion
Hey guys, does anybody have a video camera that can record footage? We have a projector screen there, and if we could record the finals from that we could have the crowd audio to go along with it, which would make it really exciting.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
It'll be no problem to hook up the GC to a VCR then to whatever you're using for the projector. It'll be better quality than with a video camera, but you won't have the crowd noise like you wanted. Take your pick.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
I'm no genius, so much of what has been said makes little sense to me. If it has AV cables, can it be transferred to digital?

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Awesome. I'll just wait til someone figures out this dual match/crowd noise thing. If it can be done, I'll bring my Camera if needed.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does it take video with relative quality? We're going to be having the "big" matches on that projector. So it would be as much of a shame as anything to get poor quality video of those matches, not insinuating that they will be of course. Maybe you should try a sample video. See how it ends up from start to finish.

Oh also, about that setup... I assumed that the players will be looking at a regular TV, and the footage will be displayed on a projector elsewhere? The players wouldn't be looking at the projector will they? In that case, I see no reason why we shouldn't put in a VCR between the GC and TV in addition to you recording it via a camera. Even if for no other purpose than to have a backup of the "big" matches in case the camera video doesn't turn out well.

Maxxx, could you find out how much those cassettes are with your discount? Find out how far $10 or so will get me, I'd gladly pay you back at the event if you would be so kind as to pick some up for me.

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Sure, I'll go tomorrow and find out.

Can that setup be done where the players are playing on the TV and people could watch throught the projector?

ninjade1

Smash Journeyman
it can be done but u would need a female double male to do so or if the tv/vcr had a double out for some reason which isn't very likely though

maXXXpower

Smash Champion
Oh, that answers many things.

ALTF4: Those tapes run about $8.50 per six-pack with my discount. Do you want me to pick some up for you?

Let's see:

Your six-pack plus my six-pack would equal 12. I might be able to bring some extras, I'm not sure though. We'll need 4 more to get 16.

I feel asleep

Smash Apprentice
Well Sean, i will be bringing a TV, and my cube is questionable namely due to the 4th slot.

lemme know if ya want/need me to bring the cube as well.

Top Bottom