• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ASU Tournament with Results

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
you can only arrest other white and mexican people... wait... u can only arrest white people... b/c us N!ggah's 2 fast... and the mexicans will probably find some way... 2 sneak out of the city... on the back of somebodie's pick up truck.. up under their tarp

Eyce Theon

Smash Cadet
Western Carolina University will have at least 3 players (but hopefully more) coming to this for Melee and freeplay. It'll be my first tournament personally, so I'm looking forward to it.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Western Carolina University will have at least 3 players (but hopefully more) coming to this for Melee and freeplay. It'll be my first tournament personally, so I'm looking forward to it.
Wonderful. I was always wondering if Devin got the word out to Western Carolina. Looking forward to you guys coming!

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
stinger 135 look @ the black person... the cops are BLACK

and the other guy can pass for a terrorist

look @ the airport and the swat team

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i beat karn in brawl at billbillbill

then again he went MK game 3 for some reason

in melee I'll have an epic m2 ditto with him

mewtwo is the reason i play melee now

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
If i recall right... I heard that malk and karn both DERP'd you last time you played...

Sengin

Smash Ace
Oh malk, it turns out that the people your friend was talking about was myself and the people I usually smash with. Small world, eh?

I added a section to the first post:

Procedure
Before entry to the venue, you will pay the guys at the signup table. You will pay the $5 for the venue fee, and then $5 each for each of the singles tournaments (you will pay later for doubles if there is time). There will be a signup sheet for each of the singles tournaments; you are to sign your real name (first and last), and then an alternat tag for yourself that you would preferred being called for your matches (i.e. I would write "Sengin" in this column). If you are going to be in both tournaments, then you need to do the same on each sheet. You will probably get a wristband; this means you are allowed into the venue. This is to make sure people have paid; IF YOU DO NOT WEAR YOUR WRISTBAND YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO PLAY A MATCH (unless you have signed up for a tournament, this is mostly for the people who are free playing the entire day). The melee tourney will be played, then lunch break/free play, and then brawl. If you place first, second, or third in a tournament, you will have to tell me (or another official, but probably me) your address. Your pot winnings will be mailed to you (we cannot give out money during the event or the university will consider it gambling and will get us in a heap of trouble).

Malk

Smash Champion
wow that's ridiculous
I understand we can't get the pot money during the event... but what about Sunday?
I do not have a mailbox ANYWHERE!

Sengin

Smash Ace
wow that's ridiculous
I understand we can't get the pot money during the event... but what about Sunday?
I do not have a mailbox ANYWHERE!
Not even your parents have a mailbox?

Anyway, the reason you can't get it Sunday is because the student union collects the money. They then have to count it, and then they write the gaming club a check for the amount collected. Then we write the winners a check right when we see how much money was collected and figure out pot percentages.

Vilt

Smash Lord
Yo Sengin! Is the cape glitch completely banned cause I use it to move around with. I don't vanish for more than 2 seconds. So would that DQ me cause since this is so cheap I'll be doing both Melee and Brawl.

theAPExp

Smash Ace
yes, it's completely banned
in short, it's too hard to confine all the ways it can be used/exploited. it's easier to just ban it for a tourney setting

Vilt

Smash Lord
; ; ****.... well then the premiere of my nasty *** Marth and Ike is making a show at this. O.o but still i think that the cape should be taken into consideration cause not every one exploits it. I mean you can tell when someone is obviously stalling.

lord karn

Smash Master
Oh yeah, if you have all four events, there will be more people that show up to the tourney. I agree with Matt that there should be no pools if there aren't more than 32 people in the bracket. 17 tvs is a ton. It's easy to get setups, I should be able to bring at least a couple. We ran all four events at the last billfest in my tiny apartment with like 50 people in there. Yeah, melee wasn't that big, but we also only had like 7 tvs.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
we also finished around 12:00 and this needs to be finished by 11

it might work out, but it might not. consider having to answer to a committee about why your event ran a whole hour later then planned, I don't think it's very fun.

I think it's very possible that all 4 events could be run, however the free play time this tournament is mainly about would have to be cut in half. I don't think Sengin wants to do that...then again I'm not Sengin :p

I think this tournament should just be Singles only and once ASU and Sengin are used to running tournaments a bit better and can manage their schedules better, they can try 4 events at the next ASU event.

Sengin

Smash Ace
; ; ****.... well then the premiere of my nasty *** Marth and Ike is making a show at this. O.o but still i think that the cape should be taken into consideration cause not every one exploits it. I mean you can tell when someone is obviously stalling.
You can USE the cape, you just can't glitch it. If you are using the glitched cape, then it is considered stalling.

Does this mean that you (and people that are riding with you) are definitely coming? If so, awesome, and how many people are you bringing?

stingers

Smash Obsessed
You can USE the cape, you just can't glitch it. If you are constantly using it, then it's stalling.

Wait, thats confusing. Do you mean just using Down-B in general a lot is considered stalling, or glitching it a lot is considered stalling? And if the latter, does that mean you're allowed to glitch it for a small amount of time?

Sengin

Smash Ace
we also finished around 12:00 and this needs to be finished by 11. it might work out, but it might not. consider having to answer to a committee about why your event ran a whole hour later then planned, I don't think it's very fun.
Not only that, but there will be student union staff that come in trying to clean up about that time. It's not as if they leave us alone until we say "we're done." The student union closes at 11, and the people that work there that clean up after us (i.e. trash, put tables away, etc..) want to go home. If you worked there, you wouldn't want to stay an hour later just because some people can't follow the contract. It's not as if we are in someone's house where if we go over by say, an hour, we go over and everyone just leaves an hour later. There are people there that will kick us out, forcibly if need be, and not allow us to use their facilities again.

I think it's very possible that all 4 events could be run, however the free play time this tournament is mainly about would have to be cut in half. I don't think Sengin wants to do that...then again I'm not Sengin :p

I think this tournament should just be Singles only and once ASU and Sengin are used to running tournaments a bit better and can manage their schedules better, they can try 4 events at the next ASU event.
It's not that we aren't used to managine schedules and running tournaments (we've held 12 LANs before, and some of them have 11 tournaments over a 10-hour period). You gotta remember - this is the first event like this that the Gaming Club is hosting (we've had several LANs before, but nothing that was dedicated to a single game/series). We do not know who is coming, how many people are coming, and how much of a success this is going to be. Yes, it generates a lot of interest here on smashboards (at least in this geological area). But that's the thing; right now it's only interest. Until it actually happens and I can go to the upper levels of the management and say "this is what happened last time, this is the proof that it is popular and will bring people, let's make another one and make it better by having four tournaments. We will have enough time because two tournaments only lasted X amount of time." As much as you would like to, the first time cannot and will not be the biggest. And I gotta say, I would call the people in charge of the club idiots if they let me do whatever I wanted on the first big tournament just because I said "it looks like a lot of people are going to come." This is a chance for us to get really into the NC smash scene and get to know it. As such, I think that two tournaments, one from each game, is not only acceptable, but necessary. This way, we can have more friendlies and a much more lax atmosphere about the place - so everyone isn't in "rush" mode freaking out because it doesn't look like there's time to finish all the tournaments. Relax and have fun; it's not going to be all competition all the time. I would much rather have an enjoyable time running two tournaments everyone will be happy with and having time left over for friendlies than having to rush to get 4 tournaments done.

You can USE the cape, you just can't glitch it. If you are constantly using it, then it's stalling.

Wait, thats confusing. Do you mean just using Down-B in general a lot is considered stalling, or glitching it a lot is considered stalling? And if the latter, does that mean you're allowed to glitch it for a small amount of time?
Sorry, I meant "If you are using the glitched cape, then it is considered stalling." You can use the cape as much as want, that would be like using Marth's counter a lot. It's not considered stalling.

@BEHR: Awesome.

@Malk: Yep. I was unconsciously adding in Corneria.

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
behr... if they do have a team tourney for brawl... YOU might have 2 be my partner... im not sure if matt and rob is coming or not... but if matt show's up... me and him.. and u a rob...

<3 ya bro... lol....

Malk

Smash Champion
that is understandable though regrettable and karn and I will take ANY team money matches brawl or melee if and only if PP ali and lozr are absent

Sengin

Smash Ace
Ali I haven't heard from in a while (he was a maybe, if he could get a ride), PP said he can't come (parent johns I believe), and lozr just randomly said that he can't make it (I am assuming Best Buy wants him to work). That being said, Yeroc is supposed to be coming.

Also, I will be using tio to manage this tournament. Do you guys want to list your location as well so you don't have to verse people you usually play early on? This way the pools can be random and based on location while the bracket is based off of skill from the pools and location.

Foxy

Smash Master
so i'm going to definitely be coming and driving to this in the case that there isn't a snowstorm. since it's cheap, i'll enter all events. i can bring a cube+melee, a wii+brawl, probably a decent-sized tv, and a recording station.

however, i don't think i'll be bringing anyone else with me, the people who would come with me will either come with other folks or not at all.

Top Bottom