• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ASU Tournament with Results

Malk

Smash Champion
she says all her friends are super psyched about it and have been practicing hard
she warned me "they are pretty good"

I officially issued each and every one of them a money match and I am hoping they take them ;]

Sengin

Smash Ace
she says all her friends are super psyched about it and have been practicing hard
she warned me "they are pretty good"
Hmmm....brawl or melee? Also, do you know the names of any of her friends that she is talking about? It's always nice to have more practice and to size up the competition.

Malk

Smash Champion
they play melee
and they were pissed when brawl came out (which is cool)
but I don't know who they are other than that

Sengin

Smash Ace
Nice. What is a name that I can use for you so that I can message her and not seem like a creey stalker person?

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
Oh I can bring a wii and gamecube (brawl & melee)

but no tvs... b/c we have some huge freaking tv's in my house... unless i can find some mini tv's somewere...

Sengin

Smash Ace
There's not going to be any teams tournaments; a lot of people *****ed about teams so it's just singles (brawl and melee). Of course, there is no stopping of free play teams (and there's going to be lots of free play). I am updating the first post at the moment, but good news:

It's pot style, officially. No set prizes, winnings are based on the amount of people playing in the tournament.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Well, go yell at the others on the first 5 or so pages that told me not to do doubles and that singles attracts more attention. WHERE WERE YOU THEN? Anyway, maybe doubles as well as singles next time, depending on how it goes this time and how many people have friendly doubles matches and tell me they want doubles next time.

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
good job for getting bent out of shape for our opinions lol...

but anys... malk me and you team money matching ALL DAY SON...

Sengin

Smash Ace
good job for getting bent out of shape for our opinions lol...
Huh? I wasn't getting bent out of shape for your opinions... I was saying that when it used to be doubles (for brawl at least), everyone voted for singles (except for PLUR, I believe). Meaning that you and Malk didn't say anything about pro-doubles.

Malk

Smash Champion
yeah you're confusing all the ****

like honestly karn and I will run doubles brackets for melee and brawl while you run singles if you want

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
well if yall doing that... im down... but got 2 find a good partner for doubles...

Sengin

Smash Ace
Wait, if we're doing it pot style now, why can't we have all four events?
Time. I am absolutely not opposed to having all 4 tournaments, but I don't think we'll have the time to do that, without rushing the singles or having it at the same time (which will reduce the amount of matches we can have at once due to limited setups and because some people will be in singles and doubles). Singles at least is going to have pool matches and a 2/3 double-elim bracket (and I would like the pools to determine placement and not elim anybody, unless it's to trim off a couple extra people to bring the number to a power of 2). I don't have any confirmation on the number of setups people are bringing. We have a total of 17 tvs (including projectors), but only like 4 people have said they are bringing a setup (which brings the list of people bringing a setup to like 10, tops, and that's stretching it a bit).

If we have 5, 8-person pools (a single match per round), then there's going to be 28 matches per pool, and if each match goes until the time limit of 8 minutes (you have to plan worst-case scenario in these situations), that's 224 minutes (or roughly 3 hours and 45 minutes). Now, if we are lucky and have enough setups to support two tv's per pool, then the pool matches will take about 2 hours (which includes time from the finish of one match, to walking over and talking along the way, until the start of the next match). This doesn't even include the double-elim tournament. I'll probably cap it at 32, unless we have a lot of setups. So take 32 people. That's 63 matches during the tournament, best 2/3. If each match lasts 3 rounds at 8 minutes (again, worst case) and we end up having 10 setups (which I still find rather high considering that not many people have said they can bring a setup), we can achieve a theoretical minimum time of about 2 and a half hours (but as we get to the end of the tournament, we can't have as many matches going on at once, for example the finals will be the only match going, etc..). This brings the minimum time down to about 4 and a half hours. Starting at noon, this will then go to 4:30. Then comes a break for food and free play, say an hour, and then the brawl tournament will start at 5:30ish. Going to add another 4.5 hours for the brawl tournament, and that brings it to 10:00. At this point, it's almost time to pack things up because we have to be out of there by 11.

Now, I KNOW that melee matches are not going to last 8 minutes each (I highly doubt there will be many matches of any combination of peach vs jigglypuff), which will bring the time down significantly (but in the calculation above, I also assume that there is always 10 matches going on at once, which cannot happen except in the beginning). And I know that not each match of the double-elim tournament will be 3 rounds. But I also don't know the amount of setups that will be here (and I think I shot high with 10), nor how many people will be involved with melee. That all being said, I would love to have a doubles tournament as well. I say we do melee singles and brawl singles, and if we have time after (which we very well might, due to calculating a "worst case" scenario), we do melee doubles and brawl doubles. I'd love to do all 4, but I'm not sure that time will allow us that luxury.

ArowYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Appalachian State University/ West Jefferson, NC
lol too much math man.

but its a good thing you fiqured out all of that info, kudos to you. shows this will be a very smooth and organized tourney. and a Halo3 tournament is going on at the same date in charlotte, so a couple of my freinds that were comming wont come, but im still bringing at least two buddies...actually they'll show up before me.

i say we all go to mellow mushroom for food break!!.

Sengin

Smash Ace
Well, the math isn't really all that hard to figure out, it's just a bunch of bunch of muliplies and a divide to get hours instead of minutes.

Yes, if you have a time limit, do not go to Mellow Mushroom. I've always had to wait a long time for food (though it was pretty **** tasty). I figure most people will go to Jimmy Johns (which is also pretty tasty) or eat on campus (which is actually suprisingly good for campus food, and very close).

Malk

Smash Champion
You thought way too much about that
I guess if you have that many people entering (5 pools of 8) then there will not be enough time, you're right. If it's less than that, which I suspect it will be, then you should just not do pools. a 32 man bracket should be fine for both... leaving tons of time for teams!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i support doubles only if time is available, because I'd hate for this tournament to be rushed just to fit in 2 events that never have as many participants as singles anyway.

The c00l

Smash Cadet
Andrew we need to get everyone together again and have some more practice time....my place is open for whenever so just let me know....o and ill make sure not to b too drunk this time, sorry about that

Sengin

Smash Ace
Haha Angel, it's fine. Where the hell did you end up going though? All of a sudden everyone who lived there was gone...

The c00l

Smash Cadet
lol yea i know man i did not mean for that to happen....i unfortunately ended up spending most of the nite in the bathroom throwing up pretty much everything i had eaten that day, it was not a pretty site...lol anyways like i said it wont happen again...let me know when ur available and lets get everyone together again

Vilt

Smash Lord
The chances of Gboro (at least me) are going up more and more everyday. o.o

Edit: Woo to 5$ tourneys. I'm just a really poor hispanic. xD Count me in on bringing a cube. Maybe a TV if you still need one.

Sengin

Smash Ace
The chances of Gboro (at least me) are going up more and more everyday. o.o

Edit: Woo to 5$ tourneys. I'm just a really poor hispanic. xD Count me in on bringing a cube. Maybe a TV if you still need one.
Glad to hear the chances are going up! This is consistently getting bigger and bigger. And yes, bring a TV. If we don't need it, you can keep it in your car, but if we do, then we have it.

And yes, woo to $5 tourneys. I think most of us (since we're in high school/college) are pretty poor.

Vilt

Smash Lord
It makes me even more poor cause i'm hispanic. xD i rather bring it inside cause some college kid could bust into my car for a free tv o.o

d_shep04

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3239-7702-5941
then vilt me and you have to pull out our race card and bust some rednecks up...

MEXICAN AND BLACK PEOPLE are the sh!z when it comes to ****!ng people up

Top Bottom