• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ASU Tournament with Results

Sengin

Smash Ace
**** straight I called Nebs.

Melee had 25 entrants, Brawl had 30 or 31 (random dealio with people leaving).

Shoutouts tomorrow!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Man I don't know what Sergio it was

My friend TJ (senior, black, goes to Hickory High) said that he knows your brother or something and he was telling him about this tournament.

lord karn

Smash Master
Good matches, everyone.

Zero has gotten way better at both games.

I squandered hard vs stingers. ROB dittos are GAY. Why do I always try to play my terrible metaknight?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
This was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed all the melee friendlies w/Jim, shep, rawfuls, vilt, karn, kask, sengin etc. haha <3 NC

Malk

Smash Champion
Tournament went great. Hell of a lotta fun. Because it went so well, there's a very high chance (very high) there will be one on April 25th. Awesome guys, thanks for coming out. I will do shoutouts later tonight or tomorrow (I'm kinda tired). Also Nebs, good show. Come to boone more often! Karn, let me know for sure when you figure out the next Billfest, and I'll probably be able to come and bring a couple people.

You guys are awesome to hang out with.

@Foxy: Thanks for the props on the hosting job. I did what I could to make it professional, instead of just felt like it was thrown together. Too bad I didn't get to 1v1 you, I wanted to.
dude Sengin I had SO much fun today, and you are mad cool, but there were a LOT of problems with the tournament. Rawfuls, Karn, Bill, and I were talking for what seemed like hours about how ****ing up the seeding was... we understood you wanted to go by location AND by pools, but it didn't work out. I'm sure you know that first round I (4-0 in pool) played Rawfuls (3-1 in pool) when Bill (2-2 in pool) had a bye. It does not matter what locations people are from, that should not have happened. ALSO if you are seeding by location (a great option, most small tourneys do this) there is absolutely no need for pools. Pools are to eliminate players if there are too many for a real bracket (aka more than 64). The 'more matches' idea is dumb, as people will play friendlies if they really want matches. If you had not run pools on both games, you could easily have fit in teams for both games as well, which I'm sure many players would enjoy.

**** bro I'm too drunk right now to think of the others but we had come up with a list of 5 major problems with how the tourney was run. Rawfuls and me will figure them out tomorrow and post them but yeah GOOD ISH on providing the venue and losing to me!

I won $37.50!
YAY!

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
You won? Good shiz man, we need to play some time! Where is WCU located exactly? Meh, 3 hours from here is probably too far for anything soon anyways....

@LoZR: Just talked to Stingers.

Melee:

1. Nebs?
2. Malk
3. Uhhhhh, I dunno
4. Dunno
5. Jim

Brawl:

1. Billbillbilll
2. Stingers
3. Zero
4. Karn

This isn't right

Melee:
1. Nebs
2. Malk
3. Karn

Brawl:
1. Billbillbill
2. Stingers
3. Zero
4. Devin (not the one from Charlotte)

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Had lots o' fun here, and I love NC Smash more than ever, because u gays r awsum. I feel like once I got into the later rounds twelve, I just got too twitchy, and squandered a lot of matches. It didn't help that I had some stiff competition up there. But that's over now, and it's time for shoutouts.

Vilt: How many infarctions do you have now? Ganon dittos were too good.
Billbillbill, Dave and Alex: Three of the coolest bros I know. Our bro love cannot be stopped, not even by some chick in the driver's seat.
Devin: Having to face you twice made me sad. You adapt really quickly. I enjoyed playing your Snake.
Matt: Teach me how to play Melee! Also, teach me how to link my aerials into taunts in Smash 64! Malk is too good.
Sengin: Good **** hosting this. Next time spell my name right on the bracket, man. Two zeros, no dash. :)
Stingers: What an odd bracket we had. I really like your ROB. He's fun to play against.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Wait, so who beat Rawfuls in losers? XD

Good shiz Rawfuls beatin Malk.

Good shiz NC for being so tough to keep up with lol.
I knocked Rawfuls out of brackets, Malk knocked me out of losers
and I got 4th place too, I feel really proud of myself for doing so well considering I'm still a little nooblet

Anyway, shouties:
Stingers: If you don't get number 1 on Brawl power rankings you're definately top 5, amazing (and effing gay lol) ROB
Bill: Great seeing you again brobro, also a great candidate for, at the very least, top 5
Vilt: lllllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllll good stuff HYES! CAMERA MODE MONEY MATCH AT BILL
D_Shep: I didn't DERP anyone, but everytime I tech'd off the ledge I thought of BEHR
Sengin: Thank you for hosting the tournament, I hope you found you're copy of Brawl
Rafuls: Double Captain Falcon Boss Battles are sooo good :o Pick Falco next tournament, I lose to that guy a lot
Phoot: Kent Combo? Cake Combo? **** Combo? dunno the name, but I know the ****
MALR's videos: Falcon.... ****, SNAAAAAAAAAAAKE
Kidd 2: You're right, I should've used Ganon in Brawl lol
Nebs: Freaking amazing player, great tech skill, great matchup knowledge, great sportsmanship, great games
Everone: I had a lot of fun and a lot of laughs, and yes, I did need sleep (to the 12 people that commented on my eyes >.>)

El Muerte

Smash Cadet

Man, I had mad fun, although I was sleepy as hell... but anyways... I agree with Malk, this tourney could have been a lot faster if it wasn't for the unnessary polls. Then there could have been a team tourney. But it was still fun

-Ace- it was nice meeting/ playing you bro. you definetly got a GOOD ganondorf. I sorta had you figured out towards the end when i was amp'd on energy drinks. cant wait 2 play you again bro. your very chill... And you lied about being good on teams man, you couldn't have been a better partner... nice mind games @ the end... to an missed jiggly puff rest to upsmash for the freaking win
-Pyrostormer- Dude, you are awesome. but I suck, i havne't played melee since jubilee last year... no wait, i played @ PLURS place. but it was good 2 meet you
-Rawfuls, fun road trip and I <3 you... i got 1 crazy pic of you
-Malk, im gonna kick your *** the next time you tickle me when im playing man. I ran into a chair and pulled some skin off my leg... now it's all swolen, but i still love you... and fun matches. Oh yeah, im gonna start coming 2 UNC-GAYBORO so u can help me with my l-canceling... that's the only downfall i have
-Karn, you are just awesome man. I enjoy playing you everytime. Like the mewtwo on BattleField
-Zero Gamer- HOW DARE YOU NOT DERP ANYBODY WHEN YOUR HIS BROTHER... you got 2 keep the legacy up... I was gonna derp this one guy who played with sonic and lucario, but they sucked 2 bad and i wanted2 end the match a.s.a.p... I almost derp'd this guy called arrow as well... (NO NON DERP'ING JOHNS)
-Sengin- thankx for hosting and the energy drinks. Man i didn't go 2 bed until like 4 this morning. I do bad @ falco ditto's unless on teams, but whatever... good matches... FOX FTFW
-Foxy, it was nice meeting you and playing you
-Vilt, i just love you period... stuffed shells?

BRAWL + = LUCAS ***** love that game... but not really b/c when i play brawl, i expect it 2 be so garbage...

Sengin

Smash Ace
NOTE ABOUT THE TOURNAMENT: This was my first real competitive smash tournament that I hosted (and hell, even been to). I usually run the dinky tournament that is alongside the LANs, and there's usually not a whole lot of talent. So I devised the whole pools -> placement in the brackets so that participants were garaunteed a lot of matches so they wouldn't whine when they lost early. Knowing only that from experience, I decided to do it the same way for this one, because my (somewhat ignorant) experience told me it was the best way to do it. (And Bill, you told me you preferred it that way, or were you just being nice? If you were just being nice - don't do that next time, I prefer straight-up honesty) Since a lot of people had problems with pools -> brackets, next time I will allot more time for for friendlies and warm-ups before the brackets start, and not do pools unless elimination needs to be done. Also, about the placement in the melee brackets: keep in mind that tio (the program I used) is still in beta and was the first time I had used it to help me run a tournament. Two things could have happened the skewed the placement in the brackets: because it's still in beta, the placement algorithm might not be perfect yet, or that when seeding secondarily by location, more priority was given to location than I originally thought. I did learn (afterwards, go figure) that you can manually tweak the brackets by dragging names around, and had I known about that, I would have tweaked the melee bracket (it honestly didn't need much tweaking, but where it was off it was off by a very noticeable margin) like I did with the brawl bracket. Oh well, I didn't think it went badly considering it was my first competive smash tourney hosting job. I just know more and how to better run it next time.

Was the laptop on the center projector with the brackets a good idea? Oh, and before you bring up the pool thing with the paper, Malk, I actually had the outline of the pools printed and in my backpack, which I took out and put on all the tables where the pools were. So don't complain about having to walk a couple feet after each match and entering it onto the laptop :p.

Ok, with that out of the way, on to shoutouts (finally!):

Nebs: awesome matches, love playing you. So smooth. We definitely need more matches, I want to play your falcon more (I don't get much practice). Definitely one of the most genuine smashers I have met, who wants to teach others about the game. I'm glad you finally got a crew together and could bring them to the tournament. They are quite good for only playing for a couple months. I only got to really play Kaz-ka, but he's got a fine luigi for 3 months of smash. Oh, and that was the most perfect finish for a melee tournament: a win with the Flying Falcon.

Stingers: Nice puff. The only reason I won through the pool was that I have some jiggs experience with my falco (and he's a **** when it comes to, well, being a **** with jiggs on a falco). Good falco too; I didn't see you play any brawl. Good job on 2nd though.

Vilt: So many techs, they saved my falco's *** so many times. I kinda feel like our last match wasn't really deterministic, as it would have been anyone's if I hadn't up-B'ed into the stage. No johns though, as I have a habit of tilting my controller a little, so when I'm going for the slightly upward firebird I go straight (that'll teach me to tilt my controller!). Really fun matches, I would have liked to play you more.

ph00tbag: I swear I entered your name exactly as it was on the sheet :p. I'll know for next time.

Ace: those fairs are so deceiving! You think you have time to get an attack in, but then you get punched in the face. Very nice ganon, had so much fun playing you.

Karn: **** your mewtwo is good. At first I had no clue on how my attacks would affect you (who has mewtwo experience?), but after a couple matches I got used to it. Good job on placement in the tourney. How long did it take you to get your Mewtwo like that? Good marth and sheik, I can't believe I managed to get the upper hand on FoD against your marth. Sorry about not letting you borrow my green controller; I've had bad experiences with lending it out before (it's come back extremely greasy from chips and other things before), so I tend to bring a spare if someone needs it. I hope you didn't take any offense to it.

Malk: <facepalm> for rolling the same way 3 stocks in a row. In my mind I could have sworn I did something different each time, but oh well. You have a good sheik, and I have no sheik experience. I had to learn as I played through the match... Why the sandbagging though? I saw your matches with Karn and Nebs and you certainly played better against them.

Shep: I didn't get a whole lot of matches with you (mostly as part of team matches), but your falco is good (although style-wise, it's very different from mine).

Rawfuls: Quite a nice variety of characters, I would have liked more 1v1 with you. Fun matches.

Foxy: I got absolutely no 1v1 with you, and I wanted to at least play your falcon. Too bad on leaving early, though : /

Myself: **** I killed myself too many times throughout the course of the tournament. I also got way too skiddish near the edges as I was afraid of accidentally killing myself. Oh well, next time!

Hopefully I'll see you guys at the next Billfest, as well as PLUR, BEHR, and Peepee (and hell, maybe even l0zr and Yeroc will be able to come as they had to cancel coming to this one).

Malk

Smash Champion
sengin Alex was actually in very high praise of the brackets right in the middle on the projector. That was realllly nice. The energy drinks were nice too for a $5 venue fee and a nice venue, especially with so many tvs provided. The tourney (brackets AND pools even though everyone ignored pools) ran really well, I think in large part due to the projector telling us who to play immediately. Most tourneys have a lot of friendlies going on and it seemed like everyone really wanted to get the tournament matches in. It was good stuff just here's my preliminary list of complaints

the seeding was stupid, most people have more fun in teams, checks in the mail are balls and in the end everyone I was hanging out with agreed that we'd rather have the set prizes option, (this doesn't matter to me cause lol brawl who cares) you should probably figure out your list of legal and illegal stages since NC smash is known for gay counterpicking, if you DO have pools tell each pool to go to a specific TV (there was a ton of confusion trying to figure out who was in your pool - also that's the reason people want pools written down on paper, not to save the 5 feet of walking. So you can walk around and see where you're supposed to be), and... I GUESS THAT'S IT FOR NOW!

Malk

Smash Champion
sengin Alex was actually in very high praise of the brackets right in the middle on the projector. That was realllly nice. The energy drinks were nice too for a $5 venue fee and a nice venue, especially with so many tvs provided. The tourney (brackets AND pools even though everyone ignored pools) ran really well, I think in large part due to the projector telling us who to play immediately. Most tourneys have a lot of friendlies going on and it seemed like everyone really wanted to get the tournament matches in. It was good stuff just here's my preliminary list of complaints

the seeding was stupid, most people have more fun in teams, checks in the mail are balls and in the end everyone I was hanging out with agreed that we'd rather have the set prizes option, (this doesn't matter to me cause lol brawl who cares) you should probably figure out your list of legal and illegal stages since NC smash is known for gay counterpicking, if you DO have pools tell each pool to go to a specific TV (there was a ton of confusion trying to figure out who was in your pool - also that's the reason people want pools written down on paper, not to save the 5 feet of walking. So you can walk around and see where you're supposed to be), and... I GUESS THAT'S IT FOR NOW!

Sengin

Smash Ace
checks in the mail are balls
Indeed...

and in the end everyone I was hanging out with agreed that we'd rather have the set prizes option
Ok, now this really does deserve a palm face, because if you look through this thread, I originally had it as set prizes, but everyone raised cane over it so I changed it to pot and everyone settled down. Is NC smash ALWAYS this confusing? :confused:

if you DO have pools tell each pool to go to a specific TV
I did. I went to the podium, read out each person in each pool and pointed to the TV they were to go to for their pool matches. It didn't do ANYTHING, as no one paid attention and everyone then proceeded to the laptop to see which pool they were in...

Sengin

Smash Ace
Oh, by the way, did anyone take my copy of brawl and case when they left? If you were facing the brackets, it was on the right side of the room by the TV closest to the front of the room. There was a melee case either next to, on top of, or under the brawl case.

Malk

Smash Champion
I didn't take anything but I remember there was a random melee disc that no one claimed...

maybe someone swapped the brawl disc for the melee disc and then just took the wii that had your brawl.

Either way consider yourself lucky! no more brawl!

Malk

Smash Champion
Yes Dr. PP, I was like his tickle me elmo... he only did it once tho... but it caused enough damage to my perfect (or was perfect) healthy brown skin... now i have a scar like i got a rug burn on my shin

SHAME ON U MALK
Get those pics up bro

Rawfuls

Smash Journeyman
tourny was fun... pools were pointless but still made for a nice warm up... overall it was a good time... but seriously... pools should either be for placement or to weed out players... not to do neither... we could have easily done teams in the time it took us to do pools... other than that though i had no qualms with the tourny... good location big room food is right there lots of tvs (first time i saw more tvs than cubes/wii's) hopefully there will be a next one ^^
Nebs: horribly underestimated you and thus you'll get sheik/fox next time you definately have a good falcon none the less
Malk: as usual it was too fun... and i knocked you out of winners =p
Vilt: thanks for the ride out there bro i had a blast
EL MUERTE: trip was fun bro i should have told everyone you were me during brawl >.>
Karn: was fun playing you in pools speaking i dont think i've ever played you before that... i wish i didnt suck at marth dittos T.T
Zero: good **** bro... you've gottn so much better in the short time i've played with you and yea... your getting falco next time... or i need to actually start playing again... but i know that wont happn >.<
Sengin: your falco has alot of potential keep it up
Ace: gannon dittos made me smile
@ everyone else i played it was fun sorry if i skipped you T.T

Top Bottom