• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Armada and Lucky Donation Drive with Incentives! $3755 received,

Bu$

HoC
Well thats what we have exhibitions for, multiple of the best matches we want to see all for the price of nothing really.
But with me coming all the hype matches aren't that far away :yeahboi::yeahboi::yeahboi:
We are already paying for his flights anyway. Let's just give him free tournament winnings too. Bl aus players.

Exhibitions aren't as good as two people playing for their tournament lives IMO. There is more at stake and you don't have to make the two parties agree to put money on the line because it's all set up already.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
$201 donation from syke coming through, edging out dreadtech by $1 (lol syke)

still getting no confirmation from mango, last thing he said to me on sunday I think was "ill think about it"

Otherwise its looking like its gonna be out of fiction/wizzrobe/hugs/lucky.

Of these 4 players all seem keen to possibly come for a decent period of time so there possibly will be stuff on a week before/after SS so we can share the special guest love!

Giving them until end of tommorow to respond (im sending daily messages with no reponse to multiple people) before we vote on actually choosing who.

In the end if we dont have enough for a 2nd player (ill be looking at ways to raise funds!) then I'll figure something else out with the extra donor dollars that will benefit everyone

Last edited:

Meredy

The Busterina
In the end if we dont have enough for a 2nd player (ill be looking at ways to raise funds!) then I'll figure something else out with the extra donor dollars that will benefit everyone
If we can't get enough to bring down a second player then we should put the money towards holding another larger scale tournament later in the year.

Hughie

Smash Lad
If we can't get enough to bring down a second player then we should put the money towards holding another larger scale tournament later in the year.
Nah, streaming equipment. The large scale tourney will be Miles' Warehouse 2???

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
We are only about $100-200 off getting aMSa if he is chosen and decides to come.

We are about $800 off getting a west coast player (Lucky, Fiction, Hugs)

We are about $1700 off getting an east coast player (Mango, Wizzrobe)

If we do vote for someone that is not aMSa or he can't make it, we are gonna have to start digging into our pockets deep guys, especially the east coast (why is florida and ohio so damn far awayyyyy)

Dekar289

Smash Hero
if they are cool people who truly want to come to australia
perhaps you could also offer them partially funded flights

Splice

Smash Hero
I'd rather go for aMSa and put the rest of the money into the community if there's any extra.
Dekars idea is also good though

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
if they are cool people who truly want to come to australia
perhaps you could also offer them partially funded flights
Literally none of them have jobs, and unless theyre a student or a full time player they will be coming here instead of whatever job they get now, meaning they would come here and actually lose money by not working during this time.

The only exceptions the no job (mango since he is signed and wizz since he still a student) both could win whatever tournament they went to instead of AUS and make just as much money without having to take so much time out to come here.

The idea of offering free flights to someone to come over here is not as appealing as it sounds to anyone who doesn't care about touristy stuff unless there is incentive.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
blah blah
i wasn't aware that you could read all the ssbm pro's minds and see that they are all just selfish and play only for money

while it's great that you have such a high opinion of our favorite players, please just use some tact in your negotiations

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Literally none of them have jobs, and unless theyre a student or a full time player they will be coming here instead of whatever job they get now, meaning they would come here and actually lose money by not working during this time.

The only exceptions the no job (mango since he is signed and wizz since he still a student) both could win whatever tournament they went to instead of AUS and make just as much money without having to take so much time out to come here.

The idea of offering free flights to someone to come over here is not as appealing as it sounds to anyone who doesn't care about touristy stuff unless there is incentive.
Yep this is a fair call, didn't think about how easily they can profit at any random American weekend tourney they choose + time off work setting them back financially if they weren't to be able to profit from the tourney.

I feel each additional player is less worth it for us, as apart from each individual being surely a great guy, Armada's attendance would already add some prestige to the tournament and I don't think he'd run out of things to teach us if we wanted some one on one smash talk. I mean Armada alone could give you enough knowledge bombs that you wouldn't need any more teachings to apply from other perspectives.

Unless people do want to come here for the experience (get some people who wanna continue to be S.D's bros after Evo?) and only get paid partially or just get aMSa since ge is the cheapest, then I don't really see it as a bad thing but... the more I think about this I would prefer any extra dollars to pour back into the smash community and perhaps assist in stabilising Smash 4 assets like consoles and monitors (dunno how many it'd afford but ~$1000 is ~$1000 eyyy)

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i wasn't aware that you could read all the ssbm pro's minds and see that they are all just selfish and play only for money

while it's great that you have such a high opinion of our favorite players, please just use some tact in your negotiations
Unfortunately i've actually asked these questions to players that could actually financially assist, and this is the response.

If you're going to keep just doubting whatever I say, then I may aswell not even reply

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Yep this is a fair call, didn't think about how easily they can profit at any random American weekend tourney they choose + time off work setting them back financially if they weren't to be able to profit from the tourney.

I feel each additional player is less worth it for us, as apart from each individual being surely a great guy, Armada's attendance would already add some prestige to the tournament and I don't think he'd run out of things to teach us if we wanted some one on one smash talk. I mean Armada alone could give you enough knowledge bombs that you wouldn't need any more teachings to apply from other perspectives.

Since aMSa is the cheapest, then if he turns out to be willing to come down for an experience and enough people want him down, I don't really see it as a bad thing but the more I think about this I would prefer any extra dollars to pour back into the smash community and perhaps assist in stabilising Smash 4 assets like consoles and monitors (dunno how many it'd afford but ~$1000 is ~$1000 eyyy)
I'll be adding that option to the poll, and donors will have more weight in it too once its properly set up.

I do agree that the idea of supporting the community is good, It's just up to the people what they want, not just me :)

PS sorry about the double post

Last edited:

Dekar289

Smash Hero
Unfortunately i've actually asked these questions to players that could actually financially assist, and this is the response.
well then please feel free to let australia know which players are keen on visiting the country and the people (if any)
and which are only interested in making a profit, because this probably weighs into opinions on which players people want

also you say "literally none of them have jobs" then say "they would lose whatever money they would make working during this time"
what!?
do you mean if they hypothetically obtained employment in the future, before shadowloo?
and you think a trip to australia wouldn't be preferred over looking for work? is this you talking or the pros?

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
well then please feel free to let australia know which players are keen on visiting the country and the people (if any)
and which are only interested in making a profit, because this probably weighs into opinions on which players people want
They're not looking to make a profit, theyre just not willing to come here and take a week + out of their life, spend more money here then they would at home, and deal with 24 hour + trips each way along with other stressful things (anyone who has flown overseas lots or travelled much will know its not always enjoyable)

I do understand your POV in regards to players flat out making a buck, and thats a factor that has been considered when choosing who could even come, but I can assure you none of them are flat out "I'm not coming unless I can make a buck" its more "Well I'd rather just stay at home, It'll save me money and its just much easier" apart from the guys who literally cant pitch in because no job.

Basty

Smash Ace
Lucky, HugS and Fiction? This gonna be a tough one to choose, but I think Lucky is best, also who's deconfirmed?

Redact

Professional Nice Guy

also you say "literally none of them have jobs" then say "they would lose whatever money they would make working during this time"
what!?
do you mean if they hypothetically obtained employment in the future, before shadowloo?
and you think a trip to australia wouldn't be preferred over looking for work? is this you talking or the pros?
I've even talked to them about their current interview statuses to see what ideas they have on attendance. None of the cali players have jobs right now, so no money to contribute currently. They are all in the process of looking for work, which means that if they do get jobs then its pretty damn hard to get time off as well as they wouldn't exactly get 2 weeks annual leave upon acceptance.

And if they dont get jobs within the next month or so, what chance then do they have of contributing to flights?

Again wizzrobe is a student as well, and amsa/mango havent given me enough info yet for anything. Mango in the small words I had with him he seemed not overly keen, guys not even going to zenith so im thinking he is smashed out or just wants to spend time with the mrs/kid

Mytus

Smash Apprentice
A bunch of us were discussing at ACL the possibility of funding other Australian players to come out for SS in the event we didn't raise enough for a second pro player. I know that some people (such as Zero, RJ, iirc) would struggle to attend because of financial issues.

Just another idea to throw out there.

Last edited:

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
A bunch of us were discussing at ACL the possibility of funding other Australian players to come out for SS in the event we didn't raise enough for a second pro player. I know that some people (such as Zero, RJ, iirc) would struggle to attend because of financial issues.

Just another idea to throw out there.
I'll put that as a voting option too when I start the poll tommorow morning.

Mango just said to me 50/50 leaning towards no. I'll keep you all posted about it.

S.D

Smash Master
Anyone who thinks Armada 3-0ing everyone into oblivion is hype obviously didn't attend Robocop when M2K did just that. A lot of hype Aus matches either did not happen or were de-hyped. Then again I'm sure you'll all enjoy watching me circle camp him for 8 mins.

I'm not necessarily saying Armada coming is bad, I think he can offer a lot and having him on hand will certainly be beneficial in a lot of ways, but srs guys the tournament itself will suffer given it's a foregone conclusion.
The hypest thing now would be mango.

Edit: I realise there's no real way around having Armada in the bracket, but you guys will see what I'm talking about soon enough. We will be cheering taking a stock not a match.

Last edited:
Top Bottom