• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I've read that Hubert can't take hits for crap and Asbel is the guy if you plan getting smacked a bit.
Are you off tonight??

I don't get up early in the morning so I can technically play tonight. However, Wednesday and Thursday won't work for me because I have church wednesday, class thursday morning, and a test friday morning that I'll be using Thursday to study for.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Sad times. He's only off Wed/Thur this week. Maybe you could study tonight so you can have at least some of Thursday night free :D

Oh who am I kidding, I know it doesn't work like that. Memory retention, stress, all kinds of stuff wrong with that scenario that I can relate to as a fellow student.

So it looks like everyone misunderstands Nietzsche. I gotta say, my teacher has a way of selling these philosophers. Turns out he's not a nihilist, anti-Semite, or anti-religious by any stretch of the imagination. His main argument was that philosophers had, since Plato, wasted their time in search of absolute truth. For all the casting aside of dogmatic belief that took place over 2000 years, no one ever got around to questioning why exactly truth, and the source of truth, is the ultimate goal of philosophy. Here, truth is analogous to all absolutes: God, perfection, etc. Hence why he said God is dead. By that he simply meant that the pursuit of absolutes (the "will to truth") was detrimental and shouldn't be the point of philosophy. In fact, all these grand systems that philosophy had heretofore created (like Plato's forms, Aristotle's universals, Kant's phenomena and noumena, etc. etc.) were just that - creations. They all realized they couldn't identify the source of truth, so they invented some BS and tried to pass it off as the answer. Funny enough, the absolute world has, throughout the entire philosophic canon, been considered unknowable. So... what purpose does it serve at all? It's like saying gremlins are responsible when you lose something. The answer is unknowable, so why make one up?

Looking to absolutes also displaces personal responsibility (like in the above example), so our lives become more and more meaningless. When you lie to someone, ideas of an absolute truth have nothing to do with it. You're not lying because you hate the concept of truth. Absolutes serve no purpose in our human world. Philosophy should be trying to answer to the very real suffering and material problems that exist, like Socrates and Jesus did, not sit around thinking about things that can't be thought about and which serve no purpose anyway. So Nietzsche is the exact opposite of a nihilist. The crisis of a meaningless life is actually what he is trying to answer. We should, instead of a will to or pursuit of truth, harbor a value of life - a will to power. Basically, life is more precious than some unknowable absolute. That's like, super uplifting and way off the mark of how Nietzsche is presented in society at large. Poor guy, just because he's got a huge mustache everyone has to think he's evil.

tl;dr: Nietzsche made fun of the entire history of philosophy, and in doing so redirected its focus to something tangible. Also, all (most) of the nasty things people say about him are untrue.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
tl;dr: Nietzsche made fun of the entire history of philosophy, and in doing so redirected its focus to something tangible. Also, all (most) of the nasty things people say about him are untrue.
That line of thought originates with Heidegger and his philosophy is dead argument?

i've always taken God is dead to more refer to the fact that humans can't rely on an abrahamic moral code anymore due to not only the more secular society but the hypocrisy of those who did believe.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
That line of thought originates with Heidegger and his philosophy is dead argument?

i've always taken God is dead to more refer to the fact that humans can't rely on an abrahamic moral code anymore due to not only the more secular society but the hypocrisy of those who did believe.
Heidegger followed Nietzsche by a good margin.

That is somewhat true, but the real meat and potatoes of the statement is as I said. Another consideration is the secular moral code brought about by Kant (who was still Christian).

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Heidegger followed Nietzsche by a good margin.
duhhhhhh...I was wondering if your teacher got his argument from heidegger's argument about nietzshce. ;p

And i don't understand how all three arguments can be true. is your professor's opinion the most commonly agreed upon by philosphers? or is it one of the others? I mean i guess nietzsche could have meant a whole array of things when he said God was dead but I find it more likely he meant one thing that was misinterpreted into a vast multitude of things.

blulitskye

Smash Rookie
They all realized they couldn't identify the source of truth, so they invented some BS and tried to pass it off as the answer. Funny enough, the absolute world has, throughout the entire philosophic canon, been considered unknowable. So... what purpose does it serve at all?
o.O;; that statement perplexes me to no end... do we not find comfort in knowing that someone else came to the same conclusion about some absurd, abstract, unknowable thing as best they could, as we have ourselves? ... or even so, if they've more likely led us to their personal conclusion, do we not find comfort in shared meaning?

the more i know, the more i know that i don't know... i suppose if i don't have enough time to know everything, it's better to focus on the things that i think i can know?

Wow... Nietzsche... so brave...

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
duhhhhhh...I was wondering if your teacher got his argument from heidegger's argument about nietzshce. ;p

And i don't understand how all three arguments can be true. is your professor's opinion the most commonly agreed upon by philosphers? or is it one of the others? I mean i guess nietzsche could have meant a whole array of things when he said God was dead but I find it more likely he meant one thing that was misinterpreted into a vast multitude of things.
She derived the argument from Nietzsche's essay on the Prejudices of the Philosophers in Beyond Good and Evil, which we read. It follows very clearly. I really just summarized what Nietzsche himself said.

His fundamental argument is apparent in the essay. The pursuit of absolutes is bad and belittles life itself. God is one of these absolutes, while also serving as a possible source of the absolute, i.e., from what is truth derived -> us, the world around us, a creator? He says this entire metaphysical dilemma is pointless. Kant created the problem; he didn't find it. God is dead because using him as a justification for the absolute world is baseless. Without absolutes, there is no God. This is the crux of the statement. The things you mentioned are secondary to the point, though true. The Abrahamic moral code was justified through secular reasoning by Kant, removing God from the moral matrix. Nietzsche was heavily critical of "followers" in general, particularly philosophers after Socrates and Christians. He thought Socrates and Jesus (and Kant and Hegel) were doing wonderful things, but everyone after sort of missed the point. They fell into a set role with set preconceptions rather than engage the subject critically and create something personal. You have to be able to question your beliefs and determine their validity on your own. Death to dogmatism, basically. The lack of such in philosophy led to this misguided search for truth - the great prejudice, and a lot of hypocrisy.

@Ethan: Yeah, focus on knowing and improving the here and now rather than postulating about things which are ultimately products of our imagination. Plato's world of absolute forms, the idea that we create our own world by process of thought, etc. None of this is supported by anything at all except conjecture, but it's been thought a necessary assumption because we simply MUST know what the concept of "truth" is, right? Nietzsche says NO.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Arby, I watched that little cat video that was like claymation?

The bump of chicken one? It's a good song.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
His fundamental argument is apparent in the essay. The pursuit of absolutes is bad and belittles life itself. God is one of these absolutes, while also serving as a possible source of the absolute, i.e., from what is truth derived -> us, the world around us, a creator? He says this entire metaphysical dilemma is pointless. Kant created the problem; he didn't find it. God is dead because using him as a justification for the absolute world is baseless. Without absolutes, there is no God. This is the crux of the statement. The things you mentioned are secondary to the point, though true. The Abrahamic moral code was justified through secular reasoning by Kant, removing God from the moral matrix. Nietzsche was heavily critical of "followers" in general, particularly philosophers after Socrates and Christians. He thought Socrates and Jesus (and Kant and Hegel) were doing wonderful things, but everyone after sort of missed the point. They fell into a set role with set preconceptions rather than engage the subject critically and create something personal. You have to be able to question your beliefs and determine their validity on your own. Death to dogmatism, basically. The lack of such in philosophy led to this misguided search for truth - the great prejudice, and a lot of hypocrisy.
Rusty more informative and helpful than a wiki article since 1991.

I find Nietzsche somewhat hypocritical though if I understand what he says correctly. He claims that the pursuit of absolutes is pointless, waste of life, which would make all of his time spent pursuing the absence of absolutes just as wasteful. He's arguing that philosophy is a waste of time while philosophizing.

For isn't philosophy just a search of truth, which is also an absolute? No matter what that truth ends up being? Even if the truth happens to be that the search was a waste of breath and you're an *** hat?

For me, the search needs no more meaning then the search itself. The journey, not the end, is what matters.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Rusty more informative and helpful than a wiki article since 1991.

I find Nietzsche somewhat hypocritical though if I understand what he says correctly. He claims that the pursuit of absolutes is pointless, waste of life, which would make all of his time spent pursuing the absence of absolutes just as wasteful. He's arguing that philosophy is a waste of time while philosophizing.

For isn't philosophy just a search of truth, which is also an absolute? No matter what that truth ends up being? Even if the truth happens to be that the search was a waste of breath and you're an *** hat?

For me, the search needs no more meaning then the search itself. The journey, not the end, is what matters.
You're caught up in the notion that philosophy=the will to truth. That is exactly the prejudice of the philosophers. Philosophy should rather be the will to power, the valuing of life. Nietzsche isn't pursuing an absence of absolutes at all. That fact already exists, he's simply making it clear. Which is certainly done through philosophizing. By engaging Kant (which he does most significantly in his work), he names himself a Kantian. You can be and have respect for something while also criticizing it. There's also a big difference between truth and "truth." Philosophy has long been interested in the second, the metaphysical concept of truth and its origins. Not so much with the first though, finding answers in the real world that apply to us. Nietzsche and Marx turned that around pretty well, and Kierkegaard got us thinking about... us (i.e. existentialism).

The journey isn't superlative to the end if it is utterly meaningless, and worse, leads to a meaningless life. While also detracting attention from actual concerns like pain and suffering.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
See my fox son.
I was off last time we played. I felt sick I knew what you wanted to do I clearly had your number I just SD'd at 0% twice because my controller was messed up and my fingers were cold cuz you have that place freezing no options

If you want, I'll link you to a match where I'm clearly on point and would have beaten that fox.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Sorry I couldn't play quite up to snuff with marth falcon sheik because I was receiving a divine revelation at the time and the glory of God blinded my eyes. Next time though.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
don't blame it on me. i wasn't even there.
I know I shouldn't, but I lol'd :awesome:

More importantly, QA decided the best time for them to come and inspect the place is during the week my manager is OoS for management training. Long story short, my manager's manager forced me to stay up for 24 hours and now I still have 6 hours left on my shift. :crying:

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired!

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
I know I shouldn't, but I lol'd :awesome:

More importantly, QA decided the best time for them to come and inspect the place is during the week my manager is OoS for management training. Long story short, my manager's manager forced me to stay up for 24 hours and now I still have 6 hours left on my shift. :crying:

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo tired!
What a whiner.
Compare it to my LIFE
I take afternoon naps
AFTERNOON NAPS
I GET 8 HOURS OF SLEEP A NIGHT UNLESS I'M GAMING IT UP
I EVEN HAVE TO TAKE CLASSES THAT MIGHT MAKE ME TIRED like the 2 hour course ON RACQUETBALL
I GET PAYED 12 HOURS FOR WRITING ESSAYS ON HOW TO SOLVE ADDICTION PROBLEMS
AND I CAN WORK ANYWHERE FROM 10-26 hours week according to how i'm feeling, AND THEY DON"T COMPLAIN
DAMN I HATE MY LIFE

you got it good will you got it good.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
What a whiner.
Compare it to my LIFE
I take afternoon naps
AFTERNOON NAPS
I GET 8 HOURS OF SLEEP A NIGHT UNLESS I'M GAMING IT UP
I EVEN HAVE TO TAKE CLASSES THAT MIGHT MAKE ME TIRED like the 2 hour course ON RACQUETBALL
I GET PAYED 12 HOURS FOR WRITING ESSAYS ON HOW TO SOLVE ADDICTION PROBLEMS
AND I CAN WORK ANYWHERE FROM 10-26 hours week according to how i'm feeling, AND THEY DON"T COMPLAIN
DAMN I HATE MY LIFE

you got it good will you got it good.
:glare:

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
So we should figure out who wants to go to FC. Chamberlin and Vice, if ever there were a weekend you should make available, this is the one. Find a suitable church in town and make plans. This is probably the largest tourney that will ever happen within driving distance of Little Rock, and is part of the most acclaimed series in Smash history to boot. I'm sure the twins, me, Vts, and Ace are down to go. Will if he can (which he should). Saber Guy... who else? Lezgo!!!

Top Bottom