• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Yer mom left after singles. I underperformed in the crew battle without her emotional and physical support.
"physical support"

@Clay

thanks, but I don't know. They got alot more solid. I feel like I would have done well though. I almost got a game off Dark Atma's sheik last time. But I'd have to be playing really really well to actually do it. Some of the sheiks would probably still gimme a little handful. VTS isn't completely free for me now, I have to at least try now :)

arby is good vs me and VTS. It's almost like the secret to beat arby is never play him except in tourney. But overall, he's still really good. I feel like he was sandbagging after he got his $$$ though.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Hmmm... Arby didn't even look like he was trying most of the time why he was playing, except for VTS, then he was on the "How to Beat VTS" autopilot. It looks like VTS has gotten over Strongbad's DK shinnanigans also, which is good. Which I could have seen an Arby vs Strongbad rematch, and I wish Dark Atma was in attendance. Vice would have dominated MO (except Dark Atma) from the looks of it
Arby was definitely sandbagging.

Although I really hope you don't think that our puny little city of Springfield is representative of Missouri. By far the best players in Missouri are NOT from Springfield. Atma isn't the only good player (although he is the best). Not to be cocky but...I'd take Missouri over Arkansas in a crew battle any day. And of course, we've already beat you guys before, even with you guys getting Spaceballs on your team.

G. Vice

Smash Lord

Although I really hope you don't think that our puny little city of Springfield is representative of Missouri. By far the best players in Missouri are NOT from Springfield. Atma isn't the only good player (although he is the best). Not to be cocky but...I'd take Missouri over Arkansas in a crew battle any day. And of course, we've already beat you guys before, even with you guys getting Spaceballs on your team.
Missouri is solid.

Lucky too.

MM? :)

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Lol how are we lucky??

I would MM you just to get to play you again and I know I'd lose. But I'm not even top 10 in Missouri. If we did a 5v5 to 10v10 crew battle I wouldn't even make the team so I'm not sure what that would prove.

:phone:

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I can teach you all how to beat arby. It pretty easy when you know "what he is trying to do."

:phone:
In your estimation, what am I trying to do?

Oh you :) For real though, I don't sandbag at tournies. The people I play deserve better than that, and I owe it to myself to try and learn when I get the chance. I know you're probably joking, but JUST IN CASE :p

On the subject of state pride, me vice clay ace vts could put up a good fight against Missouri. It would be close either way.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
On the subject of state pride, me vice clay ace vts could put up a good fight against Missouri. It would be close either way.
This.

And if there wasn't any sheik to shut me down I feel like I'd take oh idk ABOUT 11 STOCKS.

And Ziv, I wanna play you alot. Like bad, so when I get to see you next we need to sit down and friendly for like an hour or more. Deal?

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
In your estimation, what am I trying to do?
OK, give me a second while i TRY and organize what I'm thinking.

If you watch arby play he has two ways of playing, In and Out. Now these aren't the in and out that most people would think(Camping and aggro). If fact both these types of playing are aggressive in their own way. The "in" and "out" that I speak of are "timing" and "spacing" respectively. Ok, everyone knows what spacing is, I hope. Arby's spacing is all about aggressively harassing you into making a mistake all while keeping outside of your reach. Now, most of use have learned to deal with this and so it isn't what the issue is. What everyone's having an issue with is arby's "in" game otherwise know as "timing."

Basics of timing: Do something at one time so you can do something at another time. For example, arby jumps at you, you throw your shield up, arby downairs you with falcon hitting the back of your shield perfectly l-canceling, then you react as fast as you can to try to punish him, but arby already has a backair in your face when you jump out of shield. I believe I've seen this scenario about a bazillions different times. Arby will play tricks on you and you will do something stupid.

Now, How to beat arby.

When arby plays, he isn't just doing "in" or "out," he is doing both. And, depending on which character he is playing he will do one more than the other. That being said, what is arby bad at? "Reaction" In case you guys haven't noticed, arby's reaction time is like a big pile of crap clogging up a toilet while making the room smell. So, how do you mess up arby's timing spacing all while taking advantage of his reaction time? MOVEMENT!

Scenario 1: Arby is trying to stomp on the back of your shield.
What yoshiman tries to do: Wavedash back in shield so that arby's stomp hits the front, then grab or mind-game him.

Scenario 2: Arby is spacing against you with marth's sword.
What yoshiman tries to do: Wavedash into shield so that he hits your shield, grab or mind-game.

My basic answer to "arby" is wavedash out of sheild. It's not the only option, but it's definitly a way to mess him up. Another way to mess him up is to punish him or trying to punish you. With g.vice this means punish arby for trying to punish your jumps. With VTS, the biggest thing I see arby do is punish your wavedash and grabs.

Welp, it's been a while since I had any real playing so, this is all I can think of for now. Yes I know there are other factor to fighting, but they are not important for this topic. You can agree or disagree, ether way there is some truth in it since I have a better chance at beating arby than you guys.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
either way there is some truth in it since I have a better chance at beating arby than you guys.
You do realize that you beat him maybe one in ten matches, and that predominantly (provided we are both playing equally well, or bad) we go pretty much 50-50 right?

I see you do stuff that I don't think should work vs him that does, and I see him do dumb stuff vs you in my eyes, but I've never honestly thought that on a consistent basis do you actually have a better chance of winning against him than does myself, or VTS for that matter. Agreed, you do surprisingly well against him, but that previous statement...nah.

oh, and try playing Ganon vs him. Yeah, that'll go over real well :)

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
This is me controlling my rage and emotional responses.

You should consider that I left you guys at the peak of my skill where I was taking games from you and arby consistently. That skill that I had just acquired a few day before. Another point to be made, despite how ever many times I lose, my loses don't make my strategies any less relevant or right. It's just poor execution. My chances are better, I just don't take them.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Well I hope you're happy arby, I let them know your secrets. In the long run this might make you a better player, but only if they decide to listen to me.

I feel like a douche bag. It's like going to a boxing match and telling enemy that your friend has a weak right arm.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
And Ziv, I wanna play you alot. Like bad, so when I get to see you next we need to sit down and friendly for like an hour or more. Deal?
I thought you'd never ask <3

However hopefully I don't let you down. Nobody in Arkansas better be hyping me up or something. I'm pretty average still.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Well I hope you're happy arby, I let them know your secrets. In the long run this might make you a better player, but only if they decide to listen to me.

I feel like a douche bag. It's like going to a boxing match and telling enemy that your friend has a weak right arm.
Lol I actually love it. Man, it's like I got a free psychoanalysis today. Seif and Luke were also identifying (very true) aspects of my personality.

For the record, the main idea here as regards beating me is to be tricky. Mixup your plans, your timings, anything that I might be able to recognize and take advantage of. Because of my poor reaction time, my game is built around identifying holes and abusing them with high speed/high punishment characters. Basically, to be predictive or overly dependent on reads. When this isn't working I start dash dance camping like a noob or spamming approaches (like a noob), but that's another issue.

Anyway - if you do something I'm not planning for, or do it with a character I don't have enough experience against to begin planning for, it's probably going to work really well. As Will basically says, being unpredictable, or predictable in an unpredictable way, is the simple answer to beating me beyond just being noticeably better. I flat out can't react, so if you stay ahead of me in the mixup game, and close enough/better in the punishment game, you'll find success. I know that sounds stupid obvious (just play better and you'll win durdur), but I really mean it. Everyone does best against me when they're being especially tricky with their timings (G VICE) and movement (VTS, SABER). Emphasize that **** against me. Will realized these truths from playing me for 5 years. He knows what he's talking about.

As a general example, Peach is a traditional weak point of mine because she's built around mixing up her timing (dash attack, fc fair) and movement (float, ground spacing) to land huge punishments. Marth too. I do think playing Ziv and Siegfried helped me out in those matchups, though. They'd be good training partners.

**Vice, there is some merit to what you say about not playing me and doing better in tourney. I don't have all your habits burned into my fingers anymore, which is obviously significant to my read-dependent style. But that's a two way street. You also won't have the muscle memory of playing against me. That decision could really go either way. I do feel that playing me has benefited you though. You've dropped a lot of habits and gotten better in general. Course, when you play Clay sometimes it's like the past year never happened :\ He puts you in the Zane Zone and throws away the keys. Play like that against me plz, I want a combo video.

Here's your sword, now come and get me. Rawr I'm a ghost dragon BOOGABOOGA :149:

It really will force me to another level though.
I thought you'd never ask <3

However hopefully I don't let you down. Nobody in Arkansas better be hyping me up or something. I'm pretty average still.
Dude we're all "pretty average" compared to the people who matter. Don't sell yourself short. You all showed real, honest to god improvement, and as long as you keep playing each other it should continue.

Terrence is seriously a great resource to have.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
This is me controlling my rage and emotional responses.

You should consider that I left you guys at the peak of my skill where I was taking games from you and arby consistently. That skill that I had just acquired a few day before. Another point to be made, despite how ever many times I lose, my loses don't make my strategies any less relevant or right. It's just poor execution. My chances are better, I just don't take them.
You had a little surge for like a day, but even still I only remember you beating my Ganon a single time(but you see how I was playing), though you might have beaten my falco a time or two. But that's hardly consistently getting games off of us. I think maybe you're a bit confused my friend. Our matches...always lacked intensity.

No offense, you were getting better though.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
arby and I did a serious set, idk how serious he took it but I won 3-1 I think.
g. vice should come to a MO tourney and play me instead of talking **** on smashboards imo imo

j00t

Smash Champion
So Spaceballs is supposedly coming to Alabama next week... maybe he should bring some Arkansas guys as well.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
You had a little surge for like a day, but even still I only remember you beating my Ganon a single time(but you see how I was playing), though you might have beaten my falco a time or two. But that's hardly consistently getting games off of us. I think maybe you're a bit confused my friend. Our matches...always lacked intensity.

No offense, you were getting better though.
You sir are the confused one.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
japanese gettin it in
So Spaceballs is supposedly coming to Alabama next week... maybe he should bring some Arkansas guys as well.
Highly doubtful, but who knows what the future will bring! It has been many turns of the moon since last I saw you (or Jack for that matter).

G. Vice

Smash Lord
arby and I did a serious set, idk how serious he took it but I won 3-1 I think.
g. vice should come to a MO tourney and play me instead of talking **** on smashboards imo imo
I would love to travel, however I'm not at a point in my life where I can do that.

I personally think you should realize that the guy who beat you in two different sets has people around here who are just as good if not better than him. You seem very caught up on that 1 set where you beat Arby, but not so caught up on the set where you MM'd Ace and got 3-0'd. In fact, you refused to upload that match for some reason. You tell me why.

Let's just talk about our wins and stuff, that'll be fun, eh?

Also, since I don't travel I don't really know how good I am so why would I talk crap? If I do, it's usually in jest or for fun since that's how I am. Sorries.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
This is real this time.

We have a film production crew staying here from Lotushead Productions. Never heard of them.
I believe they're an indie film group. They are currently working on a live adaptation of a graphic novel.

www.moderngrumble.com

man, why can't I be like a robot and have no emotional/raging feelings? I assume they are just instinctual responses to my own insecurities. Maybe I should find a why to not be insecure.

Top Bottom