• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Are you happy that Dark Pit made it in?

Are you happy Dark Pit is in Smash 4?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maikou

Smash Ace
I'm thoroughly ticked off. Not because I hate Dark Pit, I was hoping he'd get in, but NOT like THIS. Just.....WHY Sakurai! WHY! WHY WASTE THIS POTENTIAL! If DP used his STAFF instead of his BOW he'd be unique and interesting, but NOOOOOOOO. F*** THAT, LET'S BE REAL NICE AND LAZY ABOUT IT! SCREW ALL THE PREVIOUS EFFORT LETS GET LAZY WITH SMASH 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Maikou... I feel for you... >.<

This is my biggest disappointment from Sakurai.

This is the biggest waste I've ever seen... -.-

Its... a NIGHTMARE. -.-

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
No.

I'm not going to say "It should have been Mewtwo" or something like that, because I know Dark Pit was quick to make in comparison. But that's no excuse. The amount of Kid Icarus content in this game is nightmarish and makes it extremely obvious how biased Sakurai has been in regards to representing his own games. Not only did he get his own slot over more deserving potential clones (Alph?), but he apparently also got more changes as well, including a new final smash, which not even Lucina - an actually new character, not a palette swap - or Dr. Mario - a Melee veteran - got. Hell, Falco and Toon Link didn't even get new final smashes, and they're veterans who are much less cloney as it is and have plenty of material to take easy final smashes from (Arwing and Hurricane spin, respectively). And we still have Falcondorf. And Lucas and Wolf are gone, despite being veterans who should have been reasonably easy to re-implement. There are too many things ignored for me to see Dark Pit in a good light.

Sakurai made a lot of good decisions on this game, but also some glaringly obvious bad ones.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
They don't take as much time, but they still take time to make. Some may want that time to go towards something else. Maybe not even character related.
EX-actly. I'd trade Dark Pit and Lucina for further decloning Ganondorf, Toon Link and Falco. Rather have a canonical Ganondorf move and a Toon Link move that's specifically from WW (e.g. Grappling Hook), etc. than either of them especially considering that we already get custom moves and so forth. Clones have less of a point this time around than in previous installments with the addition of customization.

Still, there's a possibility for DLC, so hopefully it's not all lost. With Super Luigi U and especially the new MK8 DLC, it seems like Nintendo is doing a pretty good job with DLC (ignoring the Hyrule Warriors DLC if you're just paying for costumes... that seems like Koei Tecmo's idea anyway). Good value for real content. So if we get DLC for the Wii U release or in early 2015 I won't be surprised at all.

Maikou

Smash Ace
No.

I'm not going to say "It should have been Mewtwo" or something like that, because I know Dark Pit was quick to make in comparison. But that's no excuse. The amount of Kid Icarus content in this game is nightmarish and makes it extremely obvious how biased Sakurai has been in regards to representing his own games. Not only did he get his own slot over more deserving potential clones (Alph?), but he apparently also got more changes as well, including a new final smash, which not even Lucina - an actually new character, not a palette swap - or Dr. Mario - a Melee veteran - got. Hell, Falco and Toon Link didn't even get new final smashes, and they're veterans who are much less cloney as it is and have plenty of material to take easy final smashes from (Arwing and Hurricane spin, respectively). And we still have Falcondorf. And Lucas and Wolf are gone, despite being veterans who should have been reasonably easy to re-implement. There are too many things ignored for me to see Dark Pit in a good light.

Sakurai made a lot of good decisions on this game, but also some glaringly obvious bad ones.
I agree with you on that last sentence. I'm especially ticked that certain features don't seem to be in the game either, like Stage Builder.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
if you could see me im very sad about somethings and that combined with my wallpaper ( my dreamroster) is a bad comination... Q,Q im fking crying over this crap nintendo just ****ed my bmost beloved franchised and gaveit a backstab with a knive by include fking duckhuntdog/ usless stuff.... ( ok not usless but you know what i mean.. i hope)..

Vinje

Smash Apprentice
While I'm not particularly happy that he's in, I'm not mad/disappointed that he his in.
The way I see it is he didn't take up a character spot, he's a clone (from what I heard he's like dr. Mario in the sense of being a little slower but hits harder), clones take little effort to put in the game and are meant to saturate the roster. Potential newcomers didn't get in the game not because clones wasted character slots but because of time constraints, you all have to realize in order for them to add a new character they need to build them from the ground up and that takes time; time they obviously didn't have to spare.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Can you people stop ********.True there are better characters out there but i really wanted him(the only person who wanted him over palutina.)It's no use in getting mad.Just because your fan favorite didn't get in and trust me alot of mine didn't get in just look at my roster.I'm glad to have dark pit though better chocie than doctor mario who deserves the hate

MegaMango

Smash Cadet
Oh, and to all the people on that other side of the spectrum.

I would rather prefer Sakurai to not give us clones, and give us unique characters in future DLC instead. If Dark Pit was announced to be a DLC character and was given a completely different moveset, I think most people would've been happier with that choice and he would have shown more love to Dark Pit that way and and also that he isn't a lazy developer. Now, there's a slim to none chance of that ever happening.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Nope.

He's honestly the only character in Smash history that I don't like.

It's not because of him being a clone.

Or him "stealing" Ridley's "slot".

Or because none of my most-wanted made it.

And it's only slightly because of the Kid Icarus overrepresentation.

It's because he's literally the least unique character in Smash. And not because he's a clone. Every other clone has a moderate-big aesthetic difference when compared to their counterpart. Doctor Mario has the doctor equipment, Lucina is a girl, Pichu isn't Pikachu, Young/Toon Link are smaller with different artstyles, etc. Dark Pit? Pit recolor. That's it. It pisses me off that Dark Pit got a slot and an altered moveset, yet Alph, who looks completely different from Olimar and could have had Rock Pikmin replace his Purple Pikmin is relegated to an alt costume. I dreaded the day he would be confirmed after the Palutena trailer. I was hoping that maybe, Dark Pit could have gotten a unique moveset similar to some of the fanmade ones I've seen. I would hate him a bit less. Nope. Not starting with the Kid Icarus bias.

To clarify, this does not make Smash 4 a bad game in my eyes. I was happy with all but two newcomers. One of them I'm indifferent to, and the other one I hate. Sure Ridley didn't get in, but I guess I'm used to not getting my characters in Smash. My mains are back too. Dark Pit and no Ridley are a huge wound and a blemish, respectively.

TL;DR: Dark Pit is worst character in Smash history.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Nope.

It's because he's literally the least unique character in Smash. And not because he's a clone. Every other clone has a moderate-big aesthetic difference when compared to their counterpart. Doctor Mario has the doctor equipment, Lucina is a girl, Pichu isn't Pikachu, Young/Toon Link are smaller with different artstyles, etc. Dark Pit? Pit recolor. That's it. It pisses me off that Dark Pit got a slot and an altered moveset, yet Alph, who looks completely different from Olimar and could have had Rock Pikmin replace his Purple Pikmin is relegated to an alt costume. I dreaded the day he would be confirmed after the Palutena trailer. I was hoping that maybe, Dark Pit could have gotten a unique moveset similar to some of the fanmade ones I've seen. I would hate him a bit less. Nope. Not starting with the Kid Icarus bias.

To clarify, this does not make Smash 4 a bad game in my eyes. I was happy with all but two newcomers. One of them I'm indifferent to, and the other one I hate. Sure Ridley didn't get in, but I guess I'm used to not getting my characters in Smash. My mains are back too. Dark Pit and no Ridley are a huge wound and a blemish, respectively.

Normally I'd furiously argue against you, however in this case I agree with your points. I don't hate that Dark Pit got in, besides maybe the fact that Bandana Dee didn't get in, but I do agree. His literal only difference from Pit lies in his personality and color scheme. He seems to be more unique from Pit than, say, Lucina to Marth, but quite frankly that's no real feat. And honestly? That just makes me even angrier at this than I already was. I still can't believe Sakurai WASTED Dark Pit on being a clone. if THIS is how he was planned, he should've just been a costume with a voicepack. I'd be more disapointed, but nobody would rage and I could always say, "There's next time......." Maybe with even more potential for a moveset given that we ever get a fourth Kid Icarus entry, but instead, we get ANOTHER F***ING CLONE. I can't stand it. Even having a unique Final Smash just isn't enough to justify this. As a costume, he'd at least have a reason to shout "Mind if I borrow these?" and pull out the Three Sacred Treasures, but as a seperate character a different FS was neccesary. With no given justification.

What's worse? He only uses his staff for the Final Smash. HE HOLDS IN STAFF IN BOTH HIS ART AND HIS TROPHY, and yet he ONLY USES IT FOR A FINAL SMASH. WHAT SENSE DOES THAT MAKE?! AT the very LEAST, it's better than Ganon, who HAS a sword, but prefers his Falcondorf style better because SAKURAI IS BEING A LAZY PRICK about it.

Irarius

Smash Journeyman
Nope.

do you want to know whats realy pissing me off... that everything is so god damn easy to unlock.... i remember the time with meele and even brawl there you needet something more to unlock some characters... just say mewtwo and mr game&watch... that was a challenge... but you must play classic mode all the time and thats it
i mean if this you unlock everything is just a troll and you play more smashrun or alstar or whatever and then comes like ok hhere you go here is idc who and thats fine......

edit: i must add to that the freaking fact that ganondorf is AGAIN A GOD DAMN CLONE

edit** i was just reading what you were saying and that made my day... i was laughing so much about that because its true and so dumb that i cant beleave this crap

Last edited:

Bingoshi

Smash Apprentice
You know what bugs me? It may be a little insignificant, but why is it that Dark Pit gets his own special victory theme and Toon Link doesn't? I mean Rosalina has one, Bowser has one, others probably have one I'm not thinking about. If Dark Pit could get his own victory theme, why doesn't Toon Link have one inspired by Wind Waker?

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Dark Pit is the Worst clone in history, All of his art makes you assume he uses his staff but you find out his only MAJOR difference is his FS. His inclusion was not needed outside of the Olimar/Alph treatment.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Dark Pit is the Worst clone in history, All of his art makes you assume he uses his staff but you find out his only MAJOR difference is his FS. His inclusion was not needed outside of the Olimar/Alph treatment.
...Isn't this the exact same case as ganondorf?

Shog

Smash Ace
Nope.

It's because he's literally the least unique character in Smash.
[...]

I agree 100% with this statement. Guys, I was incredibly pissed at Mii Fighters. But somehow a character managed to make me more rage than Mii Fighters, you know, which don't feel like Nintendo All-Stars at all.
To repeat: A ""normal"" character pisses me more of than Mii Fighter. That is a dafuq moment for me. And on a special note: I don't hate clones if they have major things changed: DrMario, thanks to having DocTornado Pills etc. is a complete different experience, like DMario was to Mario in Melee. Heck even Pichu felt different than Pikachu. But Dark Pit, oh boy, they dropped the XBomb here.

JFM2796

Smash Journeyman
Good for everyone who actually wanted him in but he is literally the only character in Smash History who's addition I loathe, and I've been playing since 64.

The only redeeming factor that I can find is that he's just a clone, so he took a fraction of the development time of an actual character. Even then, there are much more deserving clones. Dark Link was the main villain of Zelda II. Dark Samus plaayed a big role in the Prime Trilogy. Impa as a Sheik clone. Alph as an Olimar clone. Ninten as a Ness clone.

Quite frankly, Dark Pit's inclusion in the game is just adding a nice little insult to fans of DK, Metroid, and Star Fox: Long standing and successful Nintendo franchises that couldn't even get a stage on the 3DS version.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Nope, not at all. I still like the roster but his inclusion irked be big time...especially with leaving out characters such as Dark Samus or Ridley who desperately need reps outside of two Samus'. I love Lucina and can stomach Dr. Mario but Dark Pit was a letdown. I was ok with him when I saw the CSS leak but after seeing his game play, I have been turned off completely. I would had been more receptive if he used the Dark Pit staff or something but not too excited for "Oh, boy Dark Pit with Electroshock Arm!" Unlocking him is going to be a huge chunk of salt to swallow.

But still, congrats to the fans and I am glad you got the character in :)

Last edited:

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Yes. but only because I can make this joke.
Robin: Two Pits?
Dark Pit: More like one Pit and one awesome Pit. Living in Skyworld is pretty boring.
Pit: NO YOU'RE NOT ME I'D NEVER SAY ANYTHING LIKE THAT EVER!

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I see a lot of posts about how there were more deserving reps. However, Kid Icarus: Uprising was one of the biggest 3DS games. That means that kids, say, aged 8-14, have grown up with him and likely are happy to see him. Meanwhile, Dark Samus or Link wouldn't do too much for them. Dark Pit is probably one of the best characterized Nintendo character of late, so he's a bit of a treat for the more recent gamer. The way I see it:

Older Gamers Get: Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt,

Newer Gamers Get: Palutena, Robin, Lucina, Greninja, Dark Pit, Shulk

Guys in the Middle Get: Rosalina and Luma, Bowser Jr., Dr. Mario?

The games reps are mostly geared towards Nintendo fans before 2010, but Nintendo has had many success stories in the past four years, so why shouldn't they be repped? Yeah, I get that Metroid and DK may be underepped, but cutting Lucina and Dark Pit for Dark Samus and Dixie Kong (as a clone) wouldn't do much for the younger fans and would unevenly stack the characters in favor of the older fans.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Nope, not at all. I still like the roster but his inclusion irked be big time...especially with leaving out characters such as Dark Samus or Ridley who desperately need reps outside of two Samus'. I love Lucina and can stomach Dr. Mario but Dark Pit was a letdown. I was ok with him when I saw the CSS leak but after seeing his game play, I have been turned off completely. I would had been more receptive if he used the Dark Pit staff or something but not too excited for "Oh, boy Dark Pit with Electroshock Arm!" Unlocking him is going to be a huge chunk of salt to swallow.
^This, yes.

I'm completely fine with Dr Mario and Lucina. Dr Mario is there for fans of Mario's original movset (aka those that hated FLUDD in Brawl).. Lucina is a neat idea because a Marth moveset without a sweetspot mechanic hasn't been done before. It's kinda the way to make a Roy-esque moveset work(getting rid of the tipper makes much sense than making the base of the sword the sweetspot)..

I'll admit I don't like Dark Pit as a character. But I would've been fine with his inclusion if he just had some more noticeable differences, like Dr Mario.. Yeah, people are giving Dark Pit a hard time right now, but only because he actually had some potential.

He had potential to have a handful of cool, unique moves.. But nope.. Nothing. He feels like a (minor) opportunity squandered.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
^This, yes.

I'm completely fine with Dr Mario and Lucina. Dr Mario is there for fans of Mario's original movset (aka those that hated FLUDD in Brawl).. Lucina is a neat idea because a Marth moveset without a sweetspot mechanic hasn't been done before. It's kinda the way to make a Roy-esque moveset work(getting rid of the tipper makes much sense than making the base of the sword the sweetspot)..

I'll admit I don't like Dark Pit as a character. But I would've been fine with his inclusion if he just had some more noticeable differences, like Dr Mario.. Yeah, people are giving Dark Pit a hard time right now, but only because he actually had some potential.

He had potential to have a handful of cool, unique moves.. But nope.. Nothing. He feels like a (minor) opportunity squandered.
Yeah in all seriousness I agree with this. Same goes to Lucina.

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I don't have a problem with Dark Pit or even Dr.Mario I just wish they would of had unique move sets and not have been clones and because of that I feel it's just wasted slots for characters that could have been unique

Last edited:

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
^This, yes.

Lucina: But don't you see?

Jokes aside, Pit has a tipper too, just like Marth. For all we know, that could make Dark Pit just like Lucina- a slightly more powerful unit who just lacks a sweetspot.

I personally think that while Dark Pit does have a massive potential moveset, he'd cause even more rage if he did. Yeah, now he's a clone, so we accept that he was minimal effort and move on, slightly miffed that it didn't happen to Dark Samus or Dixie Kong. However, if he got a completely original moveset, people would cry foul over Sakurai's blatant favoritism of Kid Icarus and complain about how he didn't devote that time to working on Mewtwo. I kinda agree. He's a novelty to have since he's a clone, and while I would have loved for him to have an original moveset, I couldn't justify working on him instead of working on someone like Mewtwo.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
I just feel that all the clones should at least have ONE different move.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
At first I hated Dark Pit. Now that I see he's (almost) literally 8 more colors for Pit, I'm happy that Dark Pit got exactly what he deserved.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
I havnt read this entire thread buut im going to put my two cents in anyways, Dark Pit, Lucina and maybe even Doc were intended to just be alt costumes. however due to the fact they were more important/could be expanded on more as a full character Dark Pit is just one of those, he isnt taking up any space that may have belonged to say Ridley or Mewtwo he is just filler and I think it is pretty cool how he has been realized as a character and I look forward to playing as him when I get the game

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
No. This just shows that Sakurai is biased toward games he developed. At least Kirby deserved that, but a franchise that only recently got revived and has only 3 games with only 1 of them being well known gets 2 newcommers while franchises like DK and Metroid, despite having a lot more games and being more important than KI, get nothing, not even normal stages? This is terrible. He, Dr.Mario and maybe Lucina should have been alts instead. Why not make Alph, Male WFT, Female Villager, Wireframe Mac, etc, clones too? Just make them a little bit different and its done! Why Dark Pit exactly? This makes this game even more disappointing (Falcondorf/Falcondork and no Ridley is main reasons for me).

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
I havnt read this entire thread buut im going to put my two cents in anyways, Dark Pit, Lucina and maybe even Doc were intended to just be alt costumes. however due to the fact they were more important/could be expanded on more as a full character Dark Pit is just one of those, he isnt taking up any space that may have belonged to say Ridley or Mewtwo he is just filler and I think it is pretty cool how he has been realized as a character and I look forward to playing as him when I get the game
Being originally a costume didn't stop Doctor Mario from getting a different Down Special instead of a Pepto-Bismol FLUDD or BLODD. They could have come with something for Pittoo.

TopTierPichu

Smash Ace
The animation for that down B is just regular Mario's down A. . . animated and creating 3D models take time and money they may have been out of there character budget and started scraping the barrell who knows

•Col•

Smash Champion
Lucina: But don't you see?

Jokes aside, Pit has a tipper too, just like Marth. For all we know, that could make Dark Pit just like Lucina- a slightly more powerful unit who just lacks a sweetspot.
Wait what? Seriously?

I thought the tipper mechanic was just a rumor. How does that at all make sense on a character like Dark Pit? The tipper mechanic is meant to emulate a rapier style moveset, which is Marth's signature weapons(other than Falchion) in the original FE games.. How do tipper attacks even work when a lot of Pits moves incorporate spinning his blades around for multi-hit moves?

That just seems so......... Cheap. Sakurai couldn't even think of an original idea to make Dark Pit legitimately unique?? Just tacking on a tipper mechanic, which is supposed to be Marth's 'thing'?

Wow, his inclusion is even more forced than I thought. I didn't think I could like him any less than I did before.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have heard rumblings that Dark Pit utilizes his Dark Pit staff as a Final Smash. If this is the case and not a dark version of the Three Sacred Treasures, I may be ok with Dark Pit. As well, we shouldn't forget the possibility of different moves via custom moves. I don't know if that has been explored yet in the Streams. Now, if Pit and Dark Pit has the same custom moves, then I would be sorely disappointed. Same goes with the Doc and my waifu.

Last edited:

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I'd rather have have a character not be playable than be a playable clone tbh. Do something right or don't do it at all.

Last edited:

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
The animation for that down B is just regular Mario's down A. . . animated and creating 3D models take time and money they may have been out of there character budget and started scraping the barrell who knows
Hey they had time create a new Final Smash for Dark Pit and I don't know how many custom moves.
I have heard rumblings that Dark Pit utilizes his Dark Pit staff as a Final Smash. If this is the case and not a dark version of the Three Sacred Treasures, I may be ok with Dark Pit. As well, we shouldn't forget the possibility to different moves via custom moves. I don't know if that has been explored yet in the Streams.
Yet Doctor Mario and Lucina got their counterparts Final Smashes. The later didn't even change the graphics to match the Critical Hit from Awakening.

Can you say "Sakurai Bias"?

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
No. Just like Lucina, he's wasted potential. He had a clear preference of a weapon over Pit, yet once again he was given the easy route and made a clone.

Considering this is a character Sakurai created, I'm even more disappointed.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
Eh, we all need a crappy cliche angsty anime-style character sometimes. At least those complaints will be levied towards him instead of Shulk - ANNNND we get a great punching bag.

Chaos15

Smash Apprentice
Dark Pit isn't really angsty.
He is just the only sane man in a cast full of cheese ball weirdoes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom