• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APC's Lucas vids updated 03/10/09

codefelp

Smash Cadet
I only watched the two Lucas videos.

You're playing way too agressively when you shouldn't be. Lucas is not an agressive character. You need to sit back a lot more especially against characters like Marth and Wolf. You have a way better projectile game than either of them and you need to take advantage of it. Start spamming PK Fires. The only times you should be playing agressively against characters such as these is when you notice they've made a critical error in spacing or lag. The only reason some of your agressive behaviour got through is because of errors on your opponents part.

Don't approach standing opponents with Fair. It's a dangerous move unless they're in the air. The hitbox is small and you're very unprotected. You're much better off with Nair or Bair although be careful with the former because of it's low priority. Full hopped Dairs can be nice for this on occasion too. Overall you need to spend a lot more time laying back and using PK Fires to keep them out of your area and then punish them when they fail to get into it with ftilts and jabs. Fsmashes are great for lag mistakes on their part and Dsmashes are great against roll spammers.

Don't try edgeguarding Wolf with Bairs. PKT1 works much better against him in almost every situation. Certain characters it's better to go for a spike and others PKT1 is just the smarter option. Learn what works best against each character.

As cool as some of Lucas's ATs are, for the most part they aren't wonderfully useful in combat. Your zap jumping and magnet pulling did absolutely nothing. It's the fault of your opponent for not punishing you for it.

Some of your dodges were pretty good just don't overdo it or your opponent will learn to read your dodge patterns (most notably the repeated spotdodging.) Your use of ftilt was good. It's a great move that is underused by a lot of people. Basically just learn to play slower and more patiently. Don't rush toward your opponent, wait for them to come to you. That's how Lucas plays.

There's a lot you can learn from watching videos of yourself playing. Go back and watch your videos. See what caused you not only to lose your stock but all the hits that lead you up to that lost stock. Notice the mistakes you could have avoided and the mistakes your opponent made that you could have capitalized on.
You mean that's how YOUR Lucas plays. Everyone has their own playstyle. His might be aggressive, it doesn't have to be exactly like yours. I find camping and waiting for them to come to me incredibly boring so I tend to go the aggressive approach and my Lucas is still pretty good.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
^^^
lol k?

I don't particularly care if anyone follows my advice (which is exactly what it is,) nor do I care if your Lucas is aggressive and "pretty good." The fact of the matter is that camping is generally a more effective strategy in Brawl. There are times to be aggressive of course but it is not one of Lucas's strong suits due to his lack of effective approaches. The fact that it may be boring is inconsequential. If you don't like defensive play, go back to Melee. It's a better game anyway. Brawl gives an obvious advantage to the defending player. If you want to win consistently, why wouldn't you take advantage of that?

Moral of the story: Listen to me. Don't listen to me. I couldn't care less. I money match anyone who challenges. Find me.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
lol thanks for bumping :)
i can say i've change my playstyle like 3 times. Right now i've been playing really defensively, and only attack if i can land a nair to nair combo
angaist my friend K1000o i go pretty agressive, but that's because i know how he plays
my playstyle now is similar to the one i have in the fight vs Kael (Ike), but just with nair to nair, dair and dtilt

Irsic

Smash Ace
I hate ditto's too. I normally don't do very well.

Also, how do you still not have Brawl? =-=

prOAPC

Smash Lord
i taught him that, there's a replay where i 3-stocked him, eating his PK Thunder, but he doesn't want to upload ir ¬¬
but i gotta say that he won more lucas dittos that day

Cloake

Smash Cadet
For anyone commenting on your Lucas being aggressive, I think you strike the proper balance where the only reason you're not getting in that *** is for PK fire snipes. As Lucas, one has very discrete, powerful moves like FAir, UAir, FSmash that show those *****es who's boss.

I had a question, though, with a couple of the Marth fights you were able to FF a DAir into an uptilt, and I can't for the life of me manage that with hitting some serious lag on that DAir. That was the only move I've neglected for some time, with more focus on the lovely reach and subtlety of BAir, but seeing how many successful players use DAir combos, and seeing how you are intuitively using them, I wanted to know when and how you set up DAirs to at least not lag and get punished for it.

Another question, most of your recovery PKT2's (where you're barely off the platform and in the air) go a good 7-8 ft in the air above the platform, is that a result of you just missing, or are you avoiding a lower angle for sliding? Also, does the tether to the edge help aside from the mind****?

I'd recommend a little less emphasis on PK fire especially if they open with aerials a lot. A lot of the damage from Pikachu and Marth could've been avoided if you eased up just a little.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
I had a question, though, with a couple of the Marth fights you were able to FF a DAir into an uptilt, and I can't for the life of me manage that with hitting some serious lag on that DAir. That was the only move I've neglected for some time, with more focus on the lovely reach and subtlety of BAir, but seeing how many successful players use DAir combos, and seeing how you are intuitively using them, I wanted to know when and how you set up DAirs to at least not lag and get punished for it.

I'd recommend a little less emphasis on PK fire especially if they open with aerials a lot. A lot of the damage from Pikachu and Marth could've been avoided if you eased up just a little.

for down air - You never want to short hop a down air at anytime its a waste and not to mention gives you laods of landing lag. Instead you want to full hop them. Start the down air right before lucas reaches the full height of his first jump. The down air will finish just before he lands and allows you to go into other attacks almost immedately

I'd say his use of pk fire is perfectly fine. pk fire is extremely useful especially for people who like to approach with aerials because it forces an air dodge if they decide they dont want to get hit by it, and that leaves them wide open for lucas to have his little boy ways with them >=D

Cloake

Smash Cadet
I'd say his use of pk fire is perfectly fine. pk fire is extremely useful especially for people who like to approach with aerials because it forces an air dodge if they decide they dont want to get hit by it, and that leaves them wide open for lucas to have his little boy ways with them >=D
The thing is, doing it sequentially makes it a lot more predictable, and good players will exploit that 2nd lag window either by floating above it into an easy aerial or dodge it to open for punishment. I guess I kind of meant, don't PK fire sequentially unless it's a real good idea, since brick walling is a liability more often than not.

Levitas

the moon
Yay for cloake having some good first two posts.

Most people come on the boards without knowing much beforehand.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
I guess I kind of meant, don't PK fire sequentially unless it's a real good idea, since brick walling is a liability more often than not.
that is more agreeable

but like i always say...almost no tactic is useless if used correctly. Sometimes the smartest answer to a situation isn't the best answer, but thats a different argument =)

Cloake

Smash Cadet
Yay for cloake having some good first two posts.

Most people come on the boards without knowing much beforehand.
Heck, I could talk about Lucas all day. I also have another question regarding jab cancels, since I'm loving the new Jab, Jab, DTilt, Grab combo. When's the best time to hit down for the cancel? I've been mostly practicing on comps with it, and they tend to DI out of the first jab or powershield the dtilt, which indicates to me that I'm either too slow about it, or that the comps are just annoyingly inhuman.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
Heck, I could talk about Lucas all day. I also have another question regarding jab cancels, since I'm loving the new Jab, Jab, DTilt, Grab combo. When's the best time to hit down for the cancel? I've been mostly practicing on comps with it, and they tend to DI out of the first jab or powershield the dtilt, which indicates to me that I'm either too slow about it, or that the comps are just annoyingly inhuman.
I'm leaning towards the second one XD

The best time to hold down for jab cancel is right before the second jab begins.

Cloake

Smash Cadet
I'm leaning towards the second one XD

The best time to hold down for jab cancel is right before the second jab begins.
Man, I didn't know you could pre-cancel like that! I thought you had to cancel it at the latter end of its frames. So it's pretty much like a real crouch cancel in terms of button input.

Noraa

Smash Lord
i just wait a split second after the 2nd jab and do down tilt cus after the second jab every expects the third lol

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
i just wait a split second after the 2nd jab and do down tilt cus after the second jab every expects the third lol
I often do jab cancel to down smash because for some reason people love to try and spot dodge XD. Then they take a down smash to the face

prOAPC

Smash Lord
the jab cancel depends on your opponents
some people just hold shield while lucas is using the jab combo, so, jab cancel to grab
some people try to spotdodge, so jab cancel to dsmash
some people like to attack, so jab cancel to dtilt
some people like to shield grab, so jab cancel to dtilt to fsmash
in the first page there is a section of me practicing jab cancel vs some (noob) friends

Levitas

the moon
Some people like do dolphin slash, so for the love of whatever, complete the jab combo against marth, or if you're really confident that they're gonna do that, jab cancel to shield and punish the DS with usmash.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
new vids :)
first, showing the "newest Lucas Techniques"
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=JvuUzJ-eOsw
what you can see in the vid:
1. Quad PK Fire
2. Full Hop magnet pull (combo'd into nair)
3. Cancelled nair to double jump triple dair
4. Jab cancel to grab
5. Grab release to dtilt trip
Notes: the nair after the magnet pull can be faster, and the third dair can be faster to, that way you can lag with less lag

Second vid, just for fun, going under smashville, with no PKT2, instead i use Wavezap (<3 wavezap)
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=pqgnzcD17iM
Thanks to Irsic for uploading the videos

And for the fights :D
Bogota crew (K1000o, AndresArias, APC) vs Ibague crew (Silver, Kenny, Rest)
APC (Lucas) VS Kenny (ZSS)
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=LOt0Uat4hGE
APC (Lucas) VS Kenny (Wario)
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=2hx7D9DEVGo

And with my sucky G&W
APC (G&W) VS Rest (Jigglipuff)
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm9KJKh7tZU

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
i used to B-stick...
then i realized it really wasn't worth it. though making the transition back to c-stick was difficult, I feel like i'm a better player with C-stick than with B-stick.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
to b-stick or not to b-stick, that depends on your playstyle...
i didn't remember that that ZSS was that bad :S, btw this fights are from more than month ago
the fights i want to watch are the ones vs Silver's DDD and Ike

Irsic

Smash Ace
I barely use the cstick when I'm not bsticking, so it's worthless for me to switch. I'm not accustomed to using cstick for smashes or aerials, so I'll stay with bsticking.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Apc, i have a question.

On the video of the Magnet pull to 3x dair to grab or w.e how did you go forward with your psi magnet like that?

prOAPC

Smash Lord
Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm in class, but to do it while B-Sticking, you need to launch the pkfire, hold the control stick in the direction you want to face, and then press down on the C-Stick in a diagonal direction opposite of the way you want to face. It should launch you.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this, with b-stick

btw, it was with only one full jump, so you have to jump and pk fire at the same time

Top Bottom