• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Why do people keep saying Frederick should replace Chrom? Unless you do the supports, Robin doesn't really have that much to do with Freddy. It should really be Morgan. But with what hair color?
I chose Frederick for the lulz. Also, if it were Morgan, I would make blue haired Morgan, since I ship Robin and Lucina.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Honestly, I feel like if DLC is going to happen another Fire Emblem character is not too far-fetched. Mostly because I believe Sakurai would only add to current series in Smash Bros. I don't see a reason for him to waste a big series addition on DLC. The bigger the series the more likely for DLC in my opinion because I don't feel like they are as limited by the "over represented" argument. Especially Mario, LoZ, and Pokemon. Might be a long stretch to say Fire Emblem is a larger series but since it got 2 reps, I don't think it is too far fetched for one more optional one.

Edit: Everytime I say series I mean franchise.

Last edited:

swordbreaker

Smash Journeyman
Don't you supporters think that the man who lives and breaths this game (and perhaps Namco Bandai too,) knows a bit better than we do when it comes to what characters can add? Fans don't exactly meet the same professional standard.
I think its more of the fans not realizing the situation. When it comes to designing games, certain deadlines need to be made. With a limited amount of time, that means that a limited amount of characters can be added. You then have to look at a broad introduction of characters based on franchises. Thinking things through, Chrom was never going to make the cut when compared to Robin. As a designer and looking at the what FE: A had to offer, I came to the same conclusion as Sakurai, the skills just flowed into my mind for Robin. Lucina would be an easy bonus add and expand the GREAT femal cast we have, and Robin would fill the void in the other mechanics of the Fire Emblem series. Chrom would basically be meeting a quota of adding the newest Lord, most fans outside of FE would not know the difference, one person even said they saw three Marths and didn't know what was going on in the character reveal. I think Sakurai has enough pressure getting put on him, he gets attacked for adding "stupid" characters, he gets attacked for leaving out other ones. This man is going to have a mental breakdown and either way, I hope he passes the Smash torch on to someone else before it kills him.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I think its more of the fans not realizing the situation. When it comes to designing games, certain deadlines need to be made. With a limited amount of time, that means that a limited amount of characters can be added. You then have to look at a broad introduction of characters based on franchises. Thinking things through, Chrom was never going to make the cut when compared to Robin. As a designer and looking at the what FE: A had to offer, I came to the same conclusion as Sakurai, the skills just flowed into my mind for Robin. Lucina would be an easy bonus add and expand the GREAT femal cast we have, and Robin would fill the void in the other mechanics of the Fire Emblem series. Chrom would basically be meeting a quota of adding the newest Lord, most fans outside of FE would not know the difference, one person even said they saw three Marths and didn't know what was going on in the character reveal. I think Sakurai has enough pressure getting put on him, he gets attacked for adding "stupid" characters, he gets attacked for leaving out other ones. This man is going to have a mental breakdown and either way, I hope he passes the Smash torch on to someone else before it kills him.
Really the only thing he had going for him is Gemasatu leak.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
I'll post my trailer on smash boards and if you or anyone else thinks they can draw it well it would be awesome but I don't need to have it drawn I just think it would be helpful to get the point across but the trailer might take a while I haven't written it yet
Yeah, Absolutely! Sounds fun and it'll give me and a few other guys something to do.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sorry for my absence most of yesterday, guys. Had an issue off-the-boards I needed to work out.

Anyway, I'm going through everything still. Don't lose hope guys!

Also, I'm really happy to say that we're getting a consistent ~215 views per day, on average, with more than 1/3 being unique visits. I see we've gotten people clicking from many sites, so this is good. Continue to spread it!

And any artists who want to draw more of the moveset, please do! If we get things done visually, it's always a plus.

Enloc

Smash Cadet
Aight, so, I've actually decided I will reserve TWO of my Chrom charms for the Tumblr promotion. I'll start with one, but if we get over X number of reblogs (100+ maybe?) then I'll add another charm so we can have a second winner. I'm sure someone will want to fight about it, but really, who's a bad enough sport to complain about a giveaway? xD

First I gotta go do some cleaning, then I'll start drafting the giveaway post.

Oh, and I meant to respond earlier to that one post about us vs. the guy at the panel... I don't think anyone here is trying to say Sakurai is a bad game designer or that he's stupid, nor do we claim to know better (I sure don't!). Honestly, had I been in his place and had the same deadlines, I would have likely chosen Robin too because it would diversify the FE character choices the most while keeping a popular character in the roster. And if Lucina was in as a skin for Marth anyway, it was a smart move to make her a standalone character so that her (many) fans will be appeased. I only wish they'd had time to get Chrom in too, but I totally understand that the man has to do what he thinks will be best for his game and there are other series that need love too.

Which is why I'm not going to kick up a fuss about the characters we've already got. I love all the FE guys we've got so far. But if I can help Sakurai to see that Chrom is wanted and worthwhile, I can only hope he'll take advantage of the model he's already got and make him an easy DLC. That way Chrom won't be stepping on any other characters' toes insofar as the base game is concerned, and people can opt in or out of adding him to the roster at a later date. It hurts no one. Part of why I get confused at people who flip out over this movement.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
GUYS. Shrooby was awesome enough to make awesome support signatures/banners! Take a look!

Both an Exalted and un-Exalted version!

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Aight, so, I've actually decided I will reserve TWO of my Chrom charms for the Tumblr promotion. I'll start with one, but if we get over X number of reblogs (100+ maybe?) then I'll add another charm so we can have a second winner. I'm sure someone will want to fight about it, but really, who's a bad enough sport to complain about a giveaway? xD

Oh, and I meant to respond earlier to that one post about us vs. the guy at the panel... I don't think anyone here is trying to say Sakurai is a bad game designer or that he's stupid, nor do we claim to know better (I sure don't!). Honestly, had I been in his place and had the same deadlines, I would have likely chosen Robin too because it would diversify the FE character choices the most while keeping a popular character in the roster. And if Lucina was in as a skin for Marth anyway, it was a smart move to make her a standalone character so that her (many) fans will be appeased. I only wish they'd had time to get Chrom in too, but I totally understand that the man has to do what he thinks will be best for his game and there are other series that need love too.

Which is why I'm not going to kick up a fuss about the characters we've already got. I love all the FE guys we've got so far. But if I can help Sakurai to see that Chrom is wanted and worthwhile, I can only hope he'll take advantage of the model he's already got and make him an easy DLC. That way Chrom won't be stepping on any other characters' toes insofar as the base game is concerned, and people can opt in or out of adding him to the roster at a later date. It hurts no one. Part of why I get confused at people who flip out over this movement.
Same, I'm not mad, I just want to support one of my personal favorites.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

The giveaway is too kind. Don't force yourself to do it if you don't want to! In any case, let us know to help out. These things spread really fast on Facebook. (Maybe we should make a FB page?)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
GUYS. Shrooby was awesome enough to make awesome support signatures/banners! Take a look!

Both an Exalted and un-Exalted version!
That top one makes the Falchion look like the Monado.

Enloc

Smash Cadet
The giveaway is too kind. Don't force yourself to do it if you don't want to! In any case, let us know to help out. These things spread really fast on Facebook. (Maybe we should make a FB page?)
Aw, it's fine! I've wanted to do a Tumblr giveaway for a long time and these charms have been sitting a bit after the initial rush. Now I've just found a nobler reason to do what I would have done anyway.

I've drafted my giveaway post so if you think I should change any wording or something like that, please let me know. I'm also going to make a little banner for it when I get back home. I don't have my tablet here so I can't do it now. I'd use the super sweet one above, but I want to make one more specific to the giveaway. If you all like it enough, I could alter the text for a sig version too.

Anything Can Change - A Chrom Charm Giveaway!

Would you like to see Chrom in Smash 4 as DLC? Or do you wish to support your prince/exalt because he's just that cool? Whatever your reason, this is the giveaway for you if you're a Chrom fan or know someone who is!

Many of us were a little disappointed recently when we learned that Sakurai chose not to include Chrom as a playable fighter in Smash 4 because he felt that Chrom could not be easily differentiated from other characters. Since we would like to prove otherwise, a few folks have started the Chrom For Smash DLC movement, which you can read more about here: [Link goes here]
So, in order to raise awareness and hopefully find some more folks to support our favorite prince, I decided to throw together this giveaway.

The winner will receive:

*1 acrylic Chrom phone charm with a lariat in your chosen color (provided I have it)
*Our appreciation for spreading the word

Now for the part everyone loves. The rules!

*Only reblogs count, not likes
*You can reblog as much as you want but please be courteous to your followers
*You must have your ask box open

*Must be comfortable with giving me your address
*Must respond within 24 hours of me contacting you or I will choose a different winner
*You DO NOT need to follow me or the movement (Tumblr blog can be found here: [Link goes here]) but we would appreciate your support!

*If you just want to show support but don't want the prize, please note that in your tags and I'll pass over you if your name is drawn.
*International folks are good to go, I will ship out of this country to just about anywhere.

*The deadline is: AUGUST 10, 2014.

Oh, and one last thing:
***If we reach 200 or more reblogs, I will add a second charm to the prize pot!***

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Aw, it's fine! I've wanted to do a Tumblr giveaway for a long time and these charms have been sitting a bit after the initial rush. Now I've just found a nobler reason to do what I would have done anyway.

I've drafted my giveaway post so if you think I should change any wording or something like that, please let me know. I'm also going to make a little banner for it when I get back home. I don't have my tablet here so I can't do it now. I'd use the super sweet one above, but I want to make one more specific to the giveaway. If you all like it enough, I could alter the text for a sig version too.
Wow man, this is really nice! Everyone is already put in some serious effort.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

That's really awesome! Start the giveaway whenever you're ready.
I've been thinking, though. There was that petition on change.org for Reggie as a character, and that actually reached Reggie and he talked about it in a video. There was also that petition about GCN controllers for smash 4, though I'm not sure if that caused the change. Still, I think it's a good idea to make the petition. What do you guys think? It should be well detailed, though.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
That's really awesome! Start the giveaway whenever you're ready.
I've been thinking, though. There was that petition on change.org for Reggie as a character, and that actually reached Reggie and he talked about it in a video. There was also that petition about GCN controllers for smash 4, though I'm not sure if that caused the change. Still, I think it's a good idea to make the petition. What do you guys think? It should be well detailed, though.
After we build up some more support yes. But we don't want it to backfire and make chrom look unpopular!

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Fact of the matter is, at least as far as I can tell, Chrom pretty much IS unpopular. He could star in Watamote with how unpopular he is! (Bad joke.)
We're the minority here, Chrom isn't well liked among the FE fanbase, so it's going to take a bit to get a good amount of support for him.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Fact of the matter is, at least as far as I can tell, Chrom pretty much IS unpopular. He could star in Watamote with how unpopular he is! (Bad joke.)
We're the minority here, Chrom isn't well liked among the FE fanbase, so it's going to take a bit to get a good amount of support for him.
There are some people that don't like him that would like him in just to finish off the Fire Emblem: Awakening trio. I've seen a few myself but I know it's still not much.

Enloc

Smash Cadet
Aaand my post is finally up! Not sure if Smashboards will let me post a link just yet though. Let us see.

[Giveaway Ahoy!]

Edit: Woah that looks weirdly squished on my theme, but not on my dash. Huh. Oh well.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
After we build up some more support yes. But we don't want it to backfire and make chrom look unpopular!
Well most Chrom supports were just bandwagoners and admitted they liked Robin better after his reveal, so yes he is unpopular as of now.

Also Opossum I know, I should leave and don't have anything nice to say then be quite, even if its the truth.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well most Chrom supports were just bandwagoners and admitted they liked Robin better after his reveal, so yes he is unpopular as of now.
Seriously, can you just go away if you're just gonna cause problems?

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

Also Opossum I know, I should leave and don't have anything nice to say then be quite, even if its the truth.

But seriously, I think although most people think robin is better, chrom still has potential as DLC, and I think he is a logical choice for it. Hopefully others can come to agree on that potential.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Because one Marth clone isn't enough!
At this point this is blatant trolling. Any more will result in infractions.

He clearly has the potential to not be a Marth clone.

MischF

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TrueMischF
Because one Marth clone isn't enough!
If he was a clone it would be closer to Ike honestly but I don't believe he would be a clone. I believe if you emphasized his ability to use spears it would be just fine and allow for a more unique moveset.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
If he was a clone it would be closer to Ike honestly but I don't believe he would be a clone. I believe if you emphasized his ability to use spears it would be just fine and allow for a more unique moveset.
Just ignore him. (Just as everyone seemed to be getting along D:

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
We don't have to explain ourselves to him, he's not here to debate, he's here to tell us we're wrong and make it apparent he doesn't think Chrom would be a good choice.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Seriously, can you just go away if you're just gonna cause problems?
While I do think the way he said that could have been better, I think he did provide a valid observation. A lot of fans ended up being quite satisfied with Robin and Lucina, and don't really see the need for another character. This is something worth keeping in mind; after all, you'll need to convince people that we should have Chrom playable if you want to see that dream of yours realized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom