• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enloc

Smash Cadet
Not sure what to think of that leak. I try to remain neutral to all leaks because I'm not psychic and don't wanna look dumb for calling real or fake on something only to end up wrong, haha!

So far, the Tumblr thing seems to be going well! Sitting at around 55 notes, and no nasty replies yet (knock on wood). Even if only half of those are actual reblogs (haven't really counted), that's not too bad of a start for someone who isn't all that well known of a user. Except for that Chrom Sauce post I made with the Taco Bell mild sauce packet... I thought the notes would never end.

I wonder how many people have checked out the Wordpress/Twitter as a result of the Tumblr post? Those would be some interesting stats.

CardStealer1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CardStealer
3DS FC
2681-0263-6525
There's something I want to point out. In the Amiibo picture they clearly show Lucina and Tom Nook. Now I'm aware that just because they showed Lucina in the amiibo picture doesn't mean anything for Nook, but it does make me wonder what they're hinting at. Especially since Nook and Chrom are both final smashes. Also, everyone in that photo is in smash one way or another minus pixel Mario ( or whatever he's supposed to be called) and G&W, and I really don't see Isabelle being more than a AT. Just thought I would point out that small bit of info, regardless of how useless it may be.

Last edited:

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Not sure what to think of that leak. I try to remain neutral to all leaks because I'm not psychic and don't wanna look dumb for calling real or fake on something only to end up wrong, haha!

So far, the Tumblr thing seems to be going well! Sitting at around 55 notes, and no nasty replies yet (knock on wood). Even if only half of those are actual reblogs (haven't really counted), that's not too bad of a start for someone who isn't all that well known of a user. Except for that Chrom Sauce post I made with the Taco Bell mild sauce packet... I thought the notes would never end.

I wonder how many people have checked out the Wordpress/Twitter as a result of the Tumblr post? Those would be some interesting stats.
Good work man!

Two Big Guys For You

Smash Cadet
I saw a Miivrrse picture of all four characters standing side by side, and it looked like Lucina is taller than Marth. Haven't played through all of Awakening, but isn't Lucina supposed to be shorter?

Maybe Chrom's a skin for Lucina, or vise versa.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I saw a Miivrrse picture of all four characters standing side by side, and it looked like Lucina is taller than Marth. Haven't played through all of Awakening, but isn't Lucina supposed to be shorter?

Maybe Chrom's a skin for Lucina, or vise versa.
Sakurai has officially stated that Lucina is slightly shorter than Marth.

Also, I don't think that Chrom is going to be an alternate skin for anyone. He's already part of a Final Smash; he already has a role in the game.

Two Big Guys For You

Smash Cadet
Sakurai has officially stated that Lucina is slightly shorter than Marth.

Also, I don't think that Chrom is going to be an alternate skin for anyone. He's already part of a Final Smash; he already has a role in the game.
Toon Link's already part of a stage; young link is totes back as a rep for Ocarina of Tme 3D

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

OBJECTION!! He'll get it today!
Yeah. He gets to be a Final Smash, which means he gets to help Robin deal the finishing blow to opponents every time he/she gets the Smash Ball. His importance as an Awakening character is definitely being acknowledged.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Yeah. He gets to be a Final Smash, which means he gets to help Robin deal the finishing blow to opponents every time he/she gets the Smash Ball. His importance as an Awakening character is definitely being acknowledged.
Yep, no I won't deny that. If he's not dlc, at least he has representation at some form. But no one can deny how vital he is to awakening as far as gameplay and plot importance.

Xigger

Smash Lord
There's something I want to point out. In the Amiibo picture they clearly show Lucina and Tom Nook. Now I'm aware that just because they showed Lucina in the amiibo picture doesn't mean anything for Nook, but it does make me wonder what they're hinting at. Especially since Nook and Chrom are both final smashes. Also, everyone in that photo is in smash one way or another minus pixel Mario ( or whatever he's supposed to be called) and G&W, and I really don't see Isabelle being more than a AT. Just thought I would point out that small bit of info, regardless of how useless it may be.

Image is broken for me.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I made a gif. I had difficulties setting it to my signature, so I'll just leave it here.
bloggif_53cb39205da15.gif

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Every time I see Chrom lying on the ground at the end of the trailer, I felt so bad for the Chrom fans... I didn't know I wanted Chrom until I saw him deconfirmed in the most brutal way possible. Now Chrom fans know how Toad fans felt in the past 13 years... to have your favorite character be confirmed to be part of another character's moveset.

And every time I read that interview where Sakurai explained his subjective reasons for not adding Chrom... I understood his perspective that Sakurai wanted Chrom in Smash as an unique swordfighter but he reluctantly decided not to add Chrom because he's superficially similar to Marth and Ike... he didn't feel like looking in deeper to see whatever else that Chrom could do that Marth and Ike might or might not do in Awakening but definitely won't do in Smash... why would he when he looks at Robin and sees flashy animations involving magic and tomes that he doesn't need to strain his imagination to visualize Robin in Smash. I understood his reasoning and begrudgingly agreed with him... I'm happy with Robin's inclusion because he/she looks pretty fun to play with and is not a clone.

But then I see Lucina is confirmed to be an identical clone of Marth... I feel furious, outraged, sick with anger. I'd be fine with her inclusion if she didn't have the same moves as Marth... you know, like how I'm fine with the inclusions of Robin and all the currently confirmed newcomers.

Poor Chrom. Damned if Chrom is unique but not unique enough... and damned if Chrom is similar but not similar enough. Chrom and his fans have my sympathy because I, as a Toad fan, know how it feels to have to defend your favorite character from haters, trolls, and critics over many arguments such as how generic/boring they are, how they do everything that the veterans already do; and how they are unimportant/irrelevant in their franchises.

Morbi

Scavenger
Every time I see Chrom lying on the ground at the end of the trailer, I felt so bad for the Chrom fans... I didn't know I wanted Chrom until I saw him deconfirmed in the most brutal way possible. Now Chrom fans know how Toad fans felt in the past 13 years... to have your favorite character be confirmed to be part of another character's moveset.

And every time I read that interview where Sakurai explained his subjective reasons for not adding Chrom... I understood his perspective that Sakurai wanted Chrom in Smash as an unique swordfighter but he reluctantly decided not to add Chrom because he's superficially similar to Marth and Ike... he didn't feel like looking in deeper to see whatever else that Chrom could do that Marth and Ike might or might not do in Awakening but definitely won't do in Smash... why would he when he looks at Robin and sees flashy animations involving magic and tomes that he doesn't need to strain his imagination to visualize Robin in Smash. I understood his reasoning and begrudgingly agreed with him... I'm happy with Robin's inclusion because he/she looks pretty fun to play with and is not a clone.

But then I see Lucina is confirmed to be an identical clone of Marth... I feel furious, outraged, sick with anger. I'd be fine with her inclusion if she didn't have the same moves as Marth... you know, like how I'm fine with the inclusions of Robin and all the currently confirmed newcomers.

Poor Chrom. Damned if Chrom is unique but not unique enough... and damned if Chrom is similar but not similar enough. Chrom and his fans have my sympathy because I, as a Toad fan, know how it feels to have to defend your favorite character from haters, trolls, and critics over many arguments such as how generic/boring they are, how they do everything that the veterans already do; and how they are unimportant/irrelevant in their franchises.
As a fan of both characters, I can thankfully assert that I am glad that Chrom does not reside underneath a woman's dress as snatch fungus. It just reminds me that Sakurai can be oh so very cruel to some of the most prominent and respected Nintendo characters across the board.

"Help" Robin? I will always interpret him as the one who delivers the final blow. I hope that he sticks his sword into the ground before the animation ends.

IronFish

Smash Ace

( I tried to post the gif of Robin reading the book going "Lol didn't read" but it didn't work)
You see, Lucina was a bonus. She had about as much work put into her as a regular Alt Costume, Sakurai just decided to make a few tweaks to her, then decided it wasn't enough work to give her her own slot to pad out the roster. If anything you should be glad Sakurai didn't think Chrom would be a clone, so just make him an alt to Marth. YES LUCINA IS A CLONE, NO SHE DIDN'T TAKE THE SAME TIME AS A NEWCOMER TO ADD.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
( I tried to post the gif of Robin reading the book going "Lol didn't read" but it didn't work)
You see, Lucina was a bonus. She had about as much work put into her as a regular Alt Costume, Sakurai just decided to make a few tweaks to her, then decided it wasn't enough work to give her her own slot to pad out the roster. If anything you should be glad Sakurai didn't think Chrom would be a clone, so just make him an alt to Marth. YES LUCINA IS A CLONE, NO SHE DIDN'T TAKE THE SAME TIME AS A NEWCOMER TO ADD.

Not only is that reasoning incredibly presumptuous (moreso than the "Chrom was considered = he got far enough in development to get 'scrapped'" inference), but the majority of it was aimed at Lucina, not Chrom. I understand many of you feel strongly about the situation, but don't turn this into a blame game, nor let yourself believe that disappointment in one thing means scapegoating someone else entirely is "justified" (it's no better than the crowd of Mewtwo fans that blamed Lucario for "taking his spot" in Brawl). Lucina is considered a newcomer, and whether original/unique or not (or unless someone here is Sakurai), we don't know whether she took more/less time in development to add, whether she was an "easy add/bonus" or if Sakurai thought Chrom was "above" the same treatment.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Not only is that reasoning incredibly presumptuous (moreso than the "Chrom was considered = he got far enough in development to get 'scrapped'" inference), but the majority of it was aimed at Lucina, not Chrom. I understand many of you feel strongly about the situation, but don't turn this into a blame game, nor let yourself believe that disappointment in one thing means scapegoating someone else entirely is "justified" (it's no better than the crowd of Mewtwo fans that blamed Lucario for "taking his spot" in Brawl). Lucina is considered a newcomer, and whether original/unique or not (or unless someone here is Sakurai), we don't know whether she took more/less time in development to add, whether she was an "easy add/bonus" or if Sakurai thought Chrom was "above" the same treatment.
I think you replied to the wrong post there.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
I don't think that, but surely you can understand the frustration of chrom supporters. Ridiculed by Lucina and robin fans for being generic only to have a newcomer added for being so similar to Marth. Although I don't really share those feelings, it's gotta suck. Bad.

Last edited:

IronFish

Smash Ace
I don't think that, but surely you can understand the frustration of chrom supporters. Ridiculed by Lucina and robin fans for being generic only to have a newcomer added for being so similar to Marth. Although I don't really share those feelings, it's gotta suck. Bad.
At least Lucina is female, so she adds that.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I know that already. I already mentioned that I read that article. :rolleyes:

Whatever, all I know is that Sakurai appears hypocritical even though it was unintentional. At least we know that Sakurai wanted to add Chrom as an unique character but he couldn't think of anything. I think that's what the Chrom for Smash movement should work on... to bring up ideas that can differentiate Chrom from Marth, Ike, and Robin. What if the movement can make gifs from Awakening illustrating Chrom's moves and what he can do with lances, axes, and other weapons he could equip in Awakening... what if he differentiates from Marth, Ike, and Robin by having the ability to change his classes to access different weapons besides a sword?

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

Whatever, all I know is that Sakurai appears hypocritical even though it was unintentional. At least we know that Sakurai wanted to add Chrom as an unique character but he couldn't think of anything. I think that's what the Chrom for Smash movement should work on... to bring up ideas that can differentiate Chrom from Marth, Ike, and Robin. What if the movement can make gifs from Awakening illustrating Chrom's moves and what he can do with lances, axes, and other weapons he could equip in Awakening... what if he differentiates from Marth, Ike, and Robin by having the ability to change his classes to access different weapons besides a sword?
Yep, that's our current goal. Raise awareness and create moveset a that cross language barriers. Alright, I'm off to bed now

Narwalgod

Smash Journeyman
Quebec, The land no one ever speaks about.

He could only use lances and swords in awakening.

IronFish

Smash Ace

He saw that Chrom could be unique, but then he saw Robin could be more unique, simple as that, he wasn't lazy or anything, Robin just brought more new to the table than Ike- I mean Mar- I mean Chrom.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
Hey, got a few questions shot at our Tumblr page, any Chrom supporters want to provide their 2 cents on the following?:

Anons: "Why do you guys like Chrom?" "Chrom is love Chrom is life" "Who do th guys ship Chrom with?" "Why is Chrom hated so much?"
...Stellar.

battletendacies: "Do you guys think that Sakurai gave up on Chrom too early?"

Of course I'll be providing my own answers, but we Chrom supporters are a group, and I want us to answer these questions more as a community and less a hive mind.

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Hey, got a few questions shot at our Tumblr page, any Chrom supporters want to provide their 2 cents on the following?:

Anons: "Why do you guys like Chrom?" "Chrom is love Chrom is life" "Who do th guys ship Chrom with?" "Why is Chrom hated so much?"
...Stellar.

Of course I'll be providing my own answers, but we Chrom supporters are a group, and I want us to answer these questions more as a community and less a hive mind.
"I can understand sakurai's decision, as it's crunch time all the time, and if you can't come up with a moveset as unique as another character, you'll get passed over. That said, sakurai looked into chrom, proving he knows the characters popularity and importance; we just need to show that he is worth a second look!"
That's my opinion on the matter I guess.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

...Stellar.

"I can understand sakurai's decision, as it's crunch time all the time, and if you can't come up with a moveset as unique as another character, you'll get passed over. That said, sakurai looked into chrom, proving he knows the characters popularity and importance; we just need to show that he is worth a second look!"
That's my opinion on the matter I guess.
That's basically my answer as well. Do the other questions have to be answered? lol
I ship ChromxSumia, although those stats don't help Lucina much :laugh:

nintendolover187

Smash Cadet
That's basically my answer as well. Do the other questions have to be answered? lol
I ship ChromxSumia, although those stats don't help Lucina much :laugh:
Screw stats that pairing is the best and their supports are some of the best (in my opinion of course)

Last edited:

Enloc

Smash Cadet
Hmm... my answers to those anons would probably be...

Why I like Chrom: He's a relatable sort of everyman character, but I find a lot of subtle humor in his sarcasm and responses to the other, wackier characters. He's a great foil to the others and I think if he was more like them he would be difficult for me to accept as a leader/royal type character. Also, I greatly enjoy that he is not nearly as smooth a talker as one might expect from someone of his lineage. He's a big dork. I like that. But he can also give someone a sound thrashing. I also like that.

Who do I ship him with: Robin primarily (I am a sucker for the Opposites Attract thing). Honorable mentions go to Sully and Maribelle. Olivia is also cute too, if rather contrived (imo). I like Sumia as a character but not with Chrom...I feel like they'd level all of Ylisse between him breaking everything and her tripping over stuff all the time.

Why is Chrom hated:
Probably because he doesn't "stick out" the way a lot of his more colorful comrades do, for one, which makes him appear bland by comparison. Realistically speaking though, I think he's the one most people would prefer to hang out with, but that's neither here nor there. Secondly, he's "another" blue haired (sword wielding) lord character and people are quick to judge him on that appearance alone. Personally, I don't think he looks a darn thing like any of the other blue-haired lords. Different features, hairstyles, totally different clothes. Either way, a lot of the hate comes from that first impression, especially from people who aren't that familiar with the series.

Do I think Sakurai gave up too early: Not exactly. I think Sakurai made the best move he could have given the time constraints. But I really hope that once the pressure to meet the deadline is off, Sakurai will go back and consider trying a little bit harder to give Chrom a second chance.

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
For the record, I'll answer the ask with what we have by about midnight my time. (CDT)

Turokman5896

Smash Lord
Hmm... my answers to those anons would probably be...

Why I like Chrom: He's a relatable sort of everyman character, but I find a lot of subtle humor in his sarcasm and responses to the other, wackier characters. He's a great foil to the others and I think if he was more like them he would be difficult for me to accept as a leader/royal type character. Also, I greatly enjoy that he is not nearly as smooth a talker as one might expect from someone of his lineage. He's a big dork. I like that. But he can also give someone a sound thrashing. I also like that.

Who do I ship him with: Robin primarily (I am a sucker for the Opposites Attract thing). Honorable mentions go to Sully and Maribelle. Olivia is also cute too, if rather contrived (imo). I like Sumia as a character but not with Chrom...I feel like they'd level all of Ylisse between him breaking everything and her tripping over stuff all the time.
Why is Chrom hated: Probably because he doesn't "stick out" the way a lot of his more colorful comrades do, for one, which makes him appear bland by comparison. Realistically speaking though, I think he's the one most people would prefer to hang out with, but that's neither here nor there. Secondly, he's "another" blue haired (sword wielding) lord character and people are quick to judge him on that appearance alone. Personally, I don't think he looks a darn thing like any of the other blue-haired lords. Different features, hairstyles, totally different clothes. Either way, a lot of the hate comes from that first impression, especially from people who aren't that familiar with the series.

Do I think Sakurai gave up too early: Not exactly. I think Sakurai made the best move he could have given the time constraints. But I really hope that once the pressure to meet the deadline is off, Sakurai will go back and consider trying a little bit harder to give Chrom a second chance.
Amazing post man! I agree with all points (except sumia!)

Enloc

Smash Cadet
Aight, sounds good! And I see you have another anti-Chrom barking at ya. I dunno, maybe I have a twisted sense of humor, or maybe it's just because I refuse to take that sort of thing seriously, but... I find it kind of funny. For some reason, people choose to be offended by things that do not affect them and they also feel compelled to save us from ourselves. Or something. As though we're not aware of how slim the odds are that Sakurai-senpai will notice us.

It just boggles my mind why people waste their time to say these things. The way some hate Chrom, you'd think that he personally came to their house and flipped their table while they were trying to eat breakfast, then threatened Sakurai into cutting their favorite character from the game.

And haha, thanks Turokman! Don't worry, I'm not the type to flame Chrom/Sumia supporters, I just prefer to stick both Sumia and Chrom with people who can even them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom