• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamirah

Smash Rookie
How about just...

Marth
Ike
Chrom

Or...
Marth
Ike
Roy

We can have three FE characters you know.
I didn't mean all of them at once.Also for the reasons I stated they are most likely not to return but Marth.If nintendo decides to add a 3rd FE rep. we will most likely get Marth,Ike,and Chrom.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I didn't mean all of them at once.Also for the reasons I stated they are most likely not to return but Marth.If nintendo decides to add a 3rd FE rep. we will most likely get Marth,Ike,and Chrom.
I say getting three is extremely likely, anyway. I really don't see Ike leaving, either. Intelligent Systems seems to promote him like an important character a lot.

Yamirah

Smash Rookie
I say getting three is extremely likely, anyway. I really don't see Ike leaving, either. Intelligent Systems seems to promote him like an important character a lot.
I would support keeping Ike as the 3rd FE rep.

Yamirah

Smash Rookie
Or we can add Roy as the 3rd FE rep.

Hong

The Strongest
If they want to reveal Chrom with marketing in mind, I see him coming very soon or very late.

Very soon if they still think it could influence Awakening sales any notable amount. Kind of missed the window.

Very late if they want to show him off (or Marth?) after a promotional trailer for SMTxFE on Nintendo Direct, likely with a :link2: advertising the game at the bottom of the page.

Of course they could not reveal him at all before release or not with any regard to marketing, though just outlining some possibilities. We don't know how far along development it is, but if Atlus is all involved, they generally show games closer to release than other companies, even if Nintendo is the publisher.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If they want to reveal Chrom with marketing in mind, I see him coming very soon or very late.

Very soon if they still think it could influence Awakening sales any notable amount. Kind of missed the window.

Very late if they want to show him off (or Marth?) after a promotional trailer for SMTxFE on Nintendo Direct, likely with a :link2: advertising the game at the bottom of the page.

Of course they could not reveal him at all before release or not with any regard to marketing, though just outlining some possibilities. We don't know how far along development it is, but if Atlus is all involved, they generally show games closer to release than other companies, even if Nintendo is the publisher.
I'm at odds with how they're going to do the Fire Emblem reveals. One could come at any time, or otherwise it can be to promote SMTxFE, as you said.

Considering I see Marth as a starter this time, plus Ike and Chrom, I'm not sure how they'll go about that. On one hand, under these circumstances, we can have Marth as a starter, Chrom as a starter, and Ike unlockable, or we can have Marth and Ike as starters, with Chrom unlockable. Heck, it might even be we have Marth as a starter, and Ike and Chrom as unlockables. Or my theory can go out the window and Marth's unlockable again. :laugh:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I'm at odds with how they're going to do the Fire Emblem reveals. One could come at any time, or otherwise it can be to promote SMTxFE, as you said.

Considering I see Marth as a starter this time, plus Ike and Chrom, I'm not sure how they'll go about that. On one hand, under these circumstances, we can have Marth as a starter, Chrom as a starter, and Ike unlockable, or we can have Marth and Ike as starters, with Chrom unlockable. Heck, it might even be we have Marth as a starter, and Ike and Chrom as unlockables. Or my theory can go out the window and Marth's unlockable again. :laugh:
I think the new FE rep (if there is one) will be revealed first, and will be a starter. Marth and Ike will be unlockable again (if Ike's not in the game it will just be Marth). They reveal the new FE rep first because he/he could drive up interest in the game when the reveal happens. And I think more FE people new to Smash will like to play as him/her more first, so there will be a business incentive for them to be starters. But they should definitely come one at a time. Each reveal builds interest for the game.

The reveal won't be tied to any release, unless SMT X FE somehow is released before Smash 4.

Hong

The Strongest
It is quite possible for it to come out before Sm4sh. Nintendo told investors that they actually have many products in development for 2014, but did not want to show them off to protect their ideas, and will be more tight-lipped than usual. Not sure if Atlus has any influence on a Nintendo-published product, though if they do we will see actual gameplay and trailers much later in development than from other studios.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I made a moveset for Chrom. It's no where near as good as my Robin Moveset, though.

CHROM

General: I had originally planned a Chrom/Robin tag team moveset, but my ideas became an independent Robin moveset. So I figured I would work on one for Chrom independently as well. I attempted to use skills that may have been overlooked for Chrom for a more unique moveset.

Playstyle: Chrom would be somewhere in between Marth and Ike in terms of gameplay. He would in no way be close to Ike's strength, and falls behind Marth in terms of speed/reach. His special moves give him some competition with his fellow FE bretheren (Side Special for range/speed and Standard Special for strength). I like the potential that Chrom has to be a stance character with his spear/sword, but I feel as a unit he uses Falchion more.

- Special Moves:

-- Standard Special: Aggressor
Aggressor is a class skill of Dread Fighters - one of Chrom's very few Class Change options. Aggressor increases a unit's Attack Rating by 10 when initiating a battle.
Chrom performs a very quick slash directly in front of him (this is mostly for show, not for attacking) and gains a red aura. The red aura lasts as long as Chrom isn't hit (or a minute) and increases his attack strength and speed

-- Side Special: Rapier
A weapon unique to the Lord class. It does extra damage to heavily armored opponents. The carry over to the smash world would be that it can pierce shields.
Chrom would perform a barrage of quick strikes with his rapier, they will be very weak. This move will nullify shields - not break them. Meaning it will hit them as if they were not shielding at all. It will also nullify counters. There should also be a 5% chance of this move nullifying a dodge. This move will have greater range than the majority of Chrom's moves, due to the rapier's length.
Thankfully, rapiers are lightweight enough for Chrom to carry one on him at all times.

-- Up Special: Aether
This is only similar in name to Ike's Aether.
Chrom will perform a quick slash directly in front of him followed by a stronger slash upward. The first strike has 5% chance of healing Chrom the damage the dealt and the second has a 5% chance of breaking a shield.

- Down Special: Rigthful King
Rightful King is a passive skill of Great Lords. It increases skill activation.
Chrom would hold Falchion front of himself with two hands and be covered in a green aura for a second or so. Following the use of this move Chrom's Specials' extra effects will have a higher chance to activate (15%). Here's the drawback, the move's effects only last for a minute and it requires a minute to cooldown. Furthermore, if Chrom is interrupted during the move it will not activate and the cooldown will commence.

-- Final Smash: Twin Falchions
Chrom would raise his sword skyward and it would be engulfed with blue flames - Lucina would appear through a rift soon afterward. Lucina would essentially be an AT - she would have a few moves and motions and have a relatively short time limit. Just before the time limit is up you lose control of Chrom and he Luncina perform a giant X-Slash imbued with blue flame. Lucina will disappear and the blue flame will linger a bit longer potentially racking up some additional damage. The point of this FS is teamwork - Lucina will relentlessly hound one opponent (only moving on if that opponent is K.O.d). Chrom should join her in attacking that one opponent to ensure a kill.

- Smash Moves: His Smash moves will involve Falchion's blue fire. For all of Chrom's smash moves the blue flame will linger slightly after use allowing for strategic use.

-- Side Smash:
Chrom performs a powerful stab with Falchion, imbued with blue flames.

-- Down Smash:
Chrom jumps and performs a slash with a wide arc directly below himself, imbued with blue flames.

-- Up Smash:
Chrom performs a slash with a wide arc above his head, imbued with blue flames (The arc is no where near as big as Ike's up smash.)

- Basic Attacks:

-- Combo:
Chrom will perform a nice left straight followed by an upward and then a downward slash with Falchion.

-- Side Tilt:
A quick, spammable stab with Falchion.

-- Down Tilt:
A downward slash aimed at his opponents feet. It may trip them.

-- Up Tilt:
A quick, overhead slash with Falchion with little other than over head range.

-- Dash Attack:
Chrom stabs Falchion into the ground, using it to vault, and delivers a pretty powerful double kick.

- Grabs/Throws: For his throws Chrom uses his Spear. I didn't forget it.

-- Pummel:
He headbutts his opponent. Slower than most pummels, does slightly more damage too. (A headbutt seemed perfect for him. He's very Shounen, and a headbutt is a very Shounen thing to do. Even if it isn't part of their normal moves.)

-- Forward Throw: Think Halbredier in FE:RD.
He jumps up into the air spinning his spear, bringing it down hard on his opponent.

-- Upward Throw:
Chrom picks his opponent up with his spear and flings them upward.

-- Downward Throw:
Chrom throws his opponent to the ground and then thrusts his spear down after them.

-- Backward Throw:
Chrom tosses his opponent behind him and lazily tosses his spear into them over his back.

- Aerial Attacks:

-- Neutral Aerial:
Chrom will slash behind himself with Falchion and in front of himself with his rapier. Poor range, but it is one of his quickest attacks.

-- Forward Aerial:
Chrom stabs forward with Falchion. Reasonable power and range.

-- Backward Aerial:
Chrom performs a quick slash which briefly turns him around.

-- Downward Aerial:
Chrom performs a slash below himself and follows up with a stronger second slash. Not much knockback, on the first strike but enough holding power to keep an opponent there for the slightly slower second strike.

-- Upward Aerial:
Chrom brings his sword up in fashion similar to Ike's Up Tilt. Bigger damage and range than most of his aerials, but less knockback.

Notes:
I had intended to use his blue flame as a Standard Special, but it came across too much like Ignis in my Robin moveset.
I had also wanted to use Aegis (from the Paladin class) as a Down Special, but I felt Rightful King fit him better and my Aegis idea was hard to flesh out.

Hong

The Strongest
I also want to design a Chrom moveset sometime that is not a replacement of Ike or paired with Lucina, though I am still figuring out the direction I should take it.

It would be pretty cool if Chrom's Final Smash had the character cut-in like the ones in Awakening. It would be a nice nod to the series, sort of like the life metre in Marth's.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It would be pretty cool if Chrom's Final Smash had the character cut-in like the ones in Awakening. It would be a nice nod to the series, sort of like the life metre in Marth's.
Yes, I like this idea.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just wanted to share this, since I thought it was pretty funny.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@Opossum
Someone had already posted that comic in the Fire Emblem general thread. :p :sonic:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
@Opossum
Someone had already posted that comic in the Fire Emblem general thread. :p :sonic:
Really? Must've missed it.

Oh well. It's still funny a second time around. :p

Hong

The Strongest
Will Chrom use his Lance or Bow?
I think the conclusion we came to is Chrom should use whatever the best game design necessitates.

Like... I can't see any reason for him to use a bow. Bows just sort of imply a keep-away sort of fighter, and that distorts Chrom's image too much. If he had a projectile, it could be a javelin, but it would never be anything that should be spammable and only if it is necessary to make him fun and balanced. Ideally it would be something good for maintaining control of the fight and helping Chrom get in, if they find it to be ideal for his design.

I try not to write anything off as being a good or bad idea until I see how they handle it, within reason of course.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Will Chrom use his Lance or Bow?
I doubt he'd use the bow, personally. Mainly because he can't use it as a Lord or Great Lord. He'd need to be in the Archer class to use them. Then again, Smash has never been canon, so there's that. That being said, I can definitely see him using the lance. For example, my moveset in the OP incorporates a stance-switch system involving the Sword and the Lance.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I doubt he'd use the bow, personally. Mainly because he can't use it as a Lord or Great Lord. He'd need to be in the Archer class to use them. Then again, Smash has never been canon, so there's that. That being said, I can definitely see him using the lance. For example, my moveset in the OP incorporates a stance-switch system involving the Sword and the Lance.

In the end, I think it's a lot more likely that Sakurai would just make up some moves he thinks fit than he would find obscure move options from deep within Fire Emblem. As far as the FE characters go, he hasn't been drawing that much from their canon abilities. I suspect he doesn't really play the series, so he feels pretty okay with just doing what he feels like without much of a commitment to "accuracy".

So, Chrom probably won't be using a bow, especially because there are already a few sword wielding characters with bows.

My vote for his shtick is still "Mobility with a side focus on being able to control which direction enemies get launched in." Yes, largely just because that's what the moveset I made for him focused on, but... still. It'd be different than the other FE dudes.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I doubt he'd use the bow, personally. Mainly because he can't use it as a Lord or Great Lord.
Mega Man never use all of the robot master weapons at once.
Kirby never use all of his abilities at once.
Ness and Lucas learn PK attacks they cannot normally learn.
Pichu used Agility and Skull Bash.
Zelda uses the magic provided by the three goddesses Din, Nayru, and Farore.
Don't even get me started on the 4000 things that were just made up.
I suspect he doesn't really play the series.
He loves Fire Emblem, the hell are you talking about.

Hong

The Strongest
Mr. Sakurai goes with whatever makes for the best gameplay without distorting the character too much. It wouldn't be out of the question for Chrom to use a bow, and just the same I wouldn't be weirded out if Robin pulled out a staff. If it makes for the best game, go for it. Similarly, I like how he took up inspiration for Balloon Fighter for the Villager.

Also, Habanero is mostly correct. I get the feeling he didn't touch the 3d console gen Fire Emblems and only previewed them for research in Brawl, though he is definitely a fan of the classic Fire Emblem games. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he picked up Awakening, since it did well in drawing in both old fans and new, and in Japan having a portable game is awesome for the long public transit times.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Mega Man never use all of the robot master weapons at once.
Kirby never use all of his abilities at once.
Ness and Lucas learn PK attacks they cannot normally learn.
Pichu used Agility and Skull Bash.
Zelda uses the magic provided by the three goddesses Din, Nayru, and Farore.
Don't even get me started on the 4000 things that were just made up.

Incredible.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Serious question: Did anyone use Chrom as an Archer?

Archers are pretty unnecessary in Awakening.

Hong

The Strongest
Archers are strong as they have always been.

They are great paired as supporters for physical classes since they offer str, def and skl (which means more Dual Attacks), and also a rare case of a class that is strong without being paired. That is, you can use a Long Bow while standing near another character that archer has a good relationship with to trigger Dual Strikes. It basically allows you to deliver a hammer four cells away. That said, Archer is best reserved for second generation characters. They benefit a lot from Galeforce. There are so many great Archer candidates if you are going for children characters, so there is no sense in making Chrom one. Even if you are not using the kids, I would front someone else.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Serious question: Did anyone use Chrom as an Archer?
A rather pointless reclass considering the varies mages you can reclass and recruit can do the ranged combat better then any archer. The only time I'd consider the Archer reclass is if you have a really massive grudge against flying units, and even then you could just use someone like Virion for the archer business instead. Generally, the Archer reclass for Chrom is just a waste of time, especially considering having such a liability with the Archer class being applied to a character you're forced to use.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Archers are strong as they have always been.
It just seems that with all the open space I find myself using them less and less. They were far more useful in PoR when there were narrow passage ways and walls all around. I suppose the same goes for Generals.

Hong

The Strongest
It just seems that with all the open space I find myself using them less and less. They were far more useful in PoR when there were narrow passage ways and walls all around. I suppose the same goes for Generals.
I think it just requires adaption. I will admit I scarcely made use of them initially, aside from Virion on some of my earlier playthrough. Though when I started working on a master file to raise children for the DLC chapters, I took quite the liking to Snipers with Gale Force.

Generals also require some adaption. The best approach I find is pairing them with flying units to get them into position to draw in a lot of enemies from far away.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
He loves Fire Emblem, the hell are you talking about.

*shrug* I've never personally read an interview where he talks about his love for FE. I'm mostly going off of things like him needing to go to IS for ideas on who to add when the answer is "Hmm. The main characters, I guess?"

Also, well, I do take characters not matching up with their home game as a sign that he isn't too committed to the series in question.
Though, I guess his favorite character is the overall unimportant Nabarl, so I suppose he's at least played one of the games.

Anyone have a link where he talks about liking FE? I'm curious now.

D

Deleted member

Pretty much, Chrom really isn't limited to one particular Class set of skills when it comes to Smash.
In all honesty, if he's able to use skills while he's in a specific class, then those skills will be available to him should Sakurai think of possible moves.

And then there's also the route of making a bunch of crap up, like pretty much every FE character so far in Smash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's a few ideas I came up with for Chrom:

The archer class could be represented by a Down B special for Chrom. He whips out the bow and arrows, and can aim where the arrows are sent (think Pit's arrow attack). Chrom can jump when shooting the arrows, just like archers can do in Awakening.

A side smash Javelin throw. This would act as a projectile Smash, something that I don't think has been implemented yet. Chrom would charge his throw, with the most power coming from the tip of the spear. It's predictable, yet punishing if it connects.

What do you guys think of those two ideas? I still don't think that Chrom having a fire projectile is completely out of the realm of possibility even if he doesn't use it much either.

D

Deleted member

Eh, I'm still more supportive of Lucina than Chrom.
She has a bigger repertoire to work with, and I'm rather fixated on having her be like Karas, a stark contrast of Ike while making Marth the middle man.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also **** you people if you really think I'm going to support Chrom because MUH RIVALRY with Golden. Just **** you I'm not a moron.

D

Deleted member

I read that as MUH RECENCY, given you say that a lot. (Along with MUH PATTERNS)

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Eh, I'm still more supportive of Lucina than Chrom.
She has a bigger repertoire to work with, and I'm rather fixated on having her be like Karas, a stark contrast of Ike while making Marth the middle man.
If your support for Lucina stems from a playstyle which she's not even guaranteed to have, you should keep your expectations low, honestly.

In any case, if I had to choose between Chrom and Lucina, I'd take Chrom. (Though I'd take Robin over both of them easily.)

D

Deleted member

Support =/= Hope. I don't really have any "hopeful" character other than Mewtwo at this point.

Aside from that, the same argument can apply for a lot of people with who they support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom