• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I think recency probably plays a factor. Sakurai's an FE fan, so he had to know Ike existed since his game was released prior to the start of Brawl's development. I think recency affected IS's suggestion choice however to some degree. I think the fact that Roy was the character IS was developing at the time definitely affected their choice to show him to Sakurai.

I think recency matters because none of us are expecting IS to suggest Ephraim for some reason, despite the fact he could offer up great gameplay opportunities. But recency isnt the right word. It's more like around the current times.

D

Deleted member

He literally did not know Ike existed.
He has stated in a 2008 Famitsu that he didn't know who he should add in Brawl and went to IS for suggestions.
If he had known of Ike's existence beforehand, he probably would have skipped the suggestion step and just go with Ike because of the style he envisioned him to have.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
He literally did not know Ike existed.
He has stated in a 2008 Famitsu that he didn't know who he should add in Brawl and went to IS for suggestions.
I doubt that he would not know about Ike's existence.

And as for the Famitsu quote, remember that there were a good number of Lords released post-FE6 - Lyn, Eliwood, Hector, Eirika, Ephraim, and Ike. He probably couldn't decide on one, and went to IS for suggestions.

Also, PoR Ike doesn't look like a heavyweight swordfighter, really.I think he got the idea from Ike's RD design.

D

Deleted member

The Famitsu quote brought up that he didn't know anything about the latest game on the Gamecube back when he was making the roster.

Still think he knew about Ike?

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
The Famitsu quote brought up that he didn't know anything about the latest game on the Gamecube back when he was making the roster.

Still think he knew about Ike?
See, I wonder what type of games he already knows. Obviously there is a Pikmin 3 stage, but that could have been because it was meant to be a launch window game. Brawl was everything up to the Wii launch, so I wonder if with this one, the relevancy will be everything up to the Wii U launch "window".

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I think that does sort of bode well for Chrom (or an Awakening character in general), though, as Sakurai clearly knows Awakening exists. Otherwise, why would we have Arena Ferox as a stage?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think that does sort of bode well for Chrom (or an Awakening character in general), though, as Sakurai clearly knows Awakening exists. Otherwise, why would we have Arena Ferox as a stage?
Though Sakurai's thoughts on how well an Awakening character will lend itself to diversity (the reason Roy and Ike were chosen) compared to what we already have remains to be seen.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Though Sakurai's thoughts on how well an Awakening character will lend itself to diversity (the reason Roy and Ike were chosen) compared to what we already have remains to be seen.
I know. I'm just saying that Sakurai wouldn't exactly have the excuse he had with Ike (who he eventually [obviously] learned of and made playable) or Krystal (because if I remember correctly, Sakurai didn't know who Krystal was pre-Brawl). Not much, but I think it helps a bit. He at least knows of Awakening's existence. :laugh:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know. I'm just saying that Sakurai wouldn't exactly have the excuse he had with Ike (who he eventually [obviously] learned of and made playable) or Krystal (because if I remember correctly, Sakurai didn't know who Krystal was pre-Brawl). Not much, but I think it helps a bit. He at least knows of Awakening's existence. :laugh:
That's true. Though how Sakurai can be aware of such minor details within some series and not know major characters in others is beyond me. Oh well... Sakurai is an enigma. :laugh:

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Here's a Chronobound Translation of Famitsu in question:
"Sakurai stated in an interview with Famitsu that Ike got in Smash Bros. because he wanted Fire Emblem to have a new character from a more recent installment and he did not know who to put in. Sakurai went to Intelligent Systems for help regarding this matter, and Intelligent Systems suggest Ike to Sakurai. It is important to keep in mind that FE9 was the worst selling game in the series in Japan (yes, even selling more poorly than Thracia 776). The only three games in the series to sell below 200K in Japan were FE9, FE5, and FE10. Another interesting thing to note is that Sakurai said he originally planned for Ike to have the Ragnell's ranged attack, however, he felt this made Ike unbalance so it was scrapped."

So from what I read, he did not necessarily not know who Ike was, he just did not know who to put in. Which makes sense, considering there were 6 different options he could have went with. There is no suggestion he was looking for a specific type of character, like a power character such as Ike. So the recent character could have been anyone that IS suggested. IS suggested Ike for whatever reason, but he was also the most recent lord at the time.

Not to mention I don't think that Sakurai solely has control and input on the roster. There are probably members of his team he consults, talks about the roster with, and that also look into things. So suggesting he didn't know who Ike was would be suggesting that the entire part of his team didn't know who Ike was. Even if they hadn't played the most recent Fire Emblem, Sakurai's approach to rosters suggests that there is some type of research phase, which I assume is more than just Sakurai sitting in his chair thinking of all the Nintendo games he's played.

If there is a better translation of this Famitsu response, let me know.

Hong

The Strongest
Wait. People still need to know modern games have relevance to a modern game?

Well I'll be. Gosh, maybe the majority of the content being either historically important or recent wasn't enough of a hint.

Anyways, thanks for bringing that up, Jay. If need be, someone can get me the original article and I can translate it again, though it is unnecessary.

Edit - Also, I find comfort in knowing they tried to incorporate Ragnell's indirect attack.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That's true. Though how Sakurai can be aware of such minor details within some series and not know major characters in others is beyond me. Oh well... Sakurai is an enigma. :laugh:
I guess he's more of an old school junky if he's perfectly capable of knowing Lip, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Sukapon, Muddy Mole, etc. without much of an issue.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I guess he's more of an old school junky if he's perfectly capable of knowing Lip, Takamaru, Mach Rider, Sukapon, Muddy Mole, etc. without much of an issue.
That would make sense. Plus, didn't he say that his favorite Lord was Sigurd? He's pretty old, so I think you might be right.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That would make sense. Plus, didn't he say that his favorite Lord was Sigurd? He's pretty old, so I think you might be right.
He never stated his favorite Lord, but contrary to rumors he never stated it was Sigurd.

He has gone of record stating that his favorite character from Fire Emblem is actually Nabarl from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Fire Emblem: Mystery of The Emblem (and their respective remakes).

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He never stated his favorite Lord, but contrary to rumors he never stated it was Sigurd.

He has gone of record stating that his favorite character from Fire Emblem is actually Nabarl from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and Fire Emblem: Mystery of The Emblem.

Ah, okay. I wasn't sure whether or not it was Nabarl or Sigurd that was his favorite. I knew one of them was the rumor, haha.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I never really noticed this, but Sakurai kind of looks like Nabarl (especially in that picture) except with much shorter hair.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I never doubted recency mattered or anything. When we're talking about a game that has a different cast per installment, Fire Emblem in a way is similar to Pokemon in that there will always be a new candidate for Smash.

I'm just going to get this out of the way before I get slammed for being an all Chrom guy. Don't get me wrong, I really like Chrom as a lord. However, to be fair, Awakening was my first Fire Emblem game. But whatever.

Anyway, I'd really like to see Roy come back. Especially with a new and improved moveset. But based on that Famitsu article, I think it's safe to say how Sakurai goes about Fire Emblem. While he narrowed down his list for a "more recent lord" which was set in a specific time frame, Intelligent Systems were the ones who suggested Ike. Logically, as a company who makes several games for a specific series, it isn't hard to see why IS would've suggested Ike. Recency may not be why Sakurai chose Ike, but it was definitely a major reason why Intelligent Systems chose him. Based on this information, I believe that the order of priority for Fire Emblem in Smash Wii U/3DS will be as follows: Marth, Chrom, Ike, then Roy.

The reason I am uncertain of Roy is because while he is popular, his popularity alone will not save him (this is just my opinion). To backtrack to my Pokemon comparison, choosing Roy now would be like putting in a Gen 3 rep from Pokemon. Some might challenge this by saying that Mewtwo is likely to return, and he isn't recent. However, he is back in the spotlight with the movie, and the new Mega Evolution. Besides his inclusion in the data files for Smash, there isn't much that seperates Roy from the rest of the lords for Fire Emblem as far as reasons for inclusion.

Sure, Chrom may seem boring for some. Then again, this is a character that has to be shown worthy to a guy who made movesets for characters like R.O.B, Wii Fit Trainer, etc... Just because Chrom has Blue hair and a sword doesn't mean he is destined to be lame. He has the ability to use different weapons, and if Sakurai took some liberties, could cheat and give him several different abilities. I mean really, he gave Mario fireballs when Mario can't use fireballs without using a Fire Flower. If he feels like taking liberties, I'd like to think he will.

This isn't to say that Roy is without a doubt not making it, but it surely seems to me like Chrom has a solid chance over basically every other Fire Emblem candidate. Note that out of the characters Sakurai considered for Brawl, every single one was a lord. Even if Lucina and Robin are popular, Chrom is still powerful competition, and if Sakurai holds true, it would seem that Lucina and Robin are not going to be among his considerations.

Of course that's based on the idea that this will hold true. But I find it hard to believe that the situation will deviate too far from what has happened before.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Here's a suggestion... the only way we bring in Chrom or Lucia is that we replace Marth. Does that sound like a horrible idea? That's because it is. Marth and Chrom cannot coexist with each other, because their similarities are too vast to unnotice. Instead, if we have just Marth, Ike, and maybe return a decloned Roy, we would have our Fire Emblem representation. Otherwise, the only way we can have Chrom is by replacing Marth, and it isn't happening.

Besides, I don't understand why everybody says Sakurai 'loves' Fire Emblem so much. Is it because he brought the series attention to the Smashverse. Honestly, by that logic, then he is fans of Ice Climbers, Earthbound, and F-Zero... he can't possibly be fans of everything in Smash, now can he? He has no time for that! As GoldenYu said, Sakurai is not as much of a fan of Fire Emblem as everybody seems to think. You don't get special favors from Sakurai, you know. You work your way. :glare:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Here's a suggestion... the only way we bring in Chrom or Lucia is that we replace Marth. Does that sound like a horrible idea? That's because it is. Marth and Chrom cannot coexist with each other, because their similarities are too vast to unnotice. Instead, if we have just Marth, Ike, and maybe return a decloned Roy, we would have our Fire Emblem representation. Otherwise, the only way we can have Chrom is by replacing Marth, and it isn't happening.
You meant the similarities you made up? The two could easily fight differently. Stop being ignorant. Unless Sakurai himself says otherwise, Marth and Chrom can coexist.

...and it's Lucina, not Lucia.

Besides, I don't understand why everybody says Sakurai 'loves' Fire Emblem so much. Is it because he brought the series attention to the Smashverse. Honestly, by that logic, then he is fans of Ice Climbers, Earthbound, and F-Zero... he can't possibly be fans of everything in Smash, now can he? He has no time for that! As GoldenYu said, Sakurai is not as much of a fan of Fire Emblem as everybody seems to think. You don't get special favors from Sakurai, you know. You work your way. :glare:

Except that Sakurai has actually noted that he loves the series.

Iwata said:
Hello everyone. My name is Satoru Iwata from Nintendo. Now that Fire Emblem will become available for the first time on the Nintendo DS, I would like to take this opportunity to introduce everyone to all the attractions that this game will offer on a new format. However, this occurred at the same time when I had to head off to the U.S. for the E3 press conference in Los Angeles. With all the demands on my schedule, at first I thought it might be impossible to make this interview happen, but then I came up with an idea.
The idea was to ask Mr. Masahiro Sakurai from Sora Limited to interview Narihiro-san from Intelligent Systems on the exciting developments in Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. I’m sure everyone is familiar with Sakurai-san’s work on Super Smash Bros., and Narihiro-san has worked extensively as producer of the Fire Emblem series. Sakurai-san’s deep familiarity with the Fire Emblem world can be felt keenly through his work on Super Smash Bros., so it only seemed natural to ask him to do the interview. What immediately came to mind was the memory of Sakurai-san singing the Fire Emblem song on stage at the August, 2002 Super Smash Bros. Melee orchestra concert, sponsored by HAL Laboratory.
So while I was at E3, Sakurai-san did the interview for me, and he is about to give you the background and news on Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. With his passionate enthusiasm towards the game, I’m confident he can get the story from Narihiro-san from a perspective that only Mr. Sakurai can provide, and one that is uniquely different from my own.
From the Interview said:
Sakurai
Well, first, may I try asking about Curate Wrys? (laughing)
Narihiro
Ha ha ha! (laughing). Starting out with a question only a die-hard fan would ask.
?
Sakurai
Many great things were said about the game. Like the characters and sound, the scenarios, the game balance… But, when I first saw Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, more than anything else I was awe struck by that initial battle scene, when Marth’s army fights the pirates.NarihiroRight.Sakurai
When an attack came from the enemy, the pirates would walk slowly and heavily, and their axe would swing cleanly into the forehead of someone on Marth’s side. That unique action visual combined with a sound effect that stayed in your ears, as a player I thought “Wow! That’s awesome!!!” Then I ran out and bought one for myself to play. (laughing) So the start point for appreciating this game was the fight animation. That got me hooked on the Fire Emblem series. The software had a myriad of interesting points to explore and get to know.

Yeah, safe to say Sakurai's a fan of the series. Don't come here trying to cause problems.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Lol wut?

That isn't going to happen. It's going to be Marth, Chrom, Ike, or Marth, Ike, Roy. Or all four together.

Chrom is absolutely NOTHING like Marth.

Hong

The Strongest
To be fair, our venerated director is more of a retro gamer. Maybe he is more a fan of the classic Fire Emblems, like myself.

Awakening did well in appealing to veterans of the series, so I hope Sakurai-san picked it up as well.
Marth and Chrom cannot coexist with each other, because their similarities are too vast to unnotice.
Um...

They both have blue hair? And they both use swords and are royal...

Am I missing something?

Azule07

Smash Cadet
Chrom's got a very good chance of getting in, what with Awakening's popularity not only in the east, but other here in the west. He's got a pretty unique fighting style, considering that the in-game Marth bloodline thingie means that whilst he uses moves from Marth, he also has an Ike-ish style, signified with his use of Aether in the early cutscenes.

However, i'd much rather see Lucina appear over Chrom, since she was the better character. (purely based on that, they fight almost identically to each other) Though to go to the discussion of Roy, he's not coming back. His game wasn't the trademark FE on the GBA (Eliwood, Lyn and Hector had that one), and when we think that he doesn't want to pamper to either the east or the west, it's pretty clear that IF we get a GBA lord, it won't be Roy. I'd wager on Lyn, since she was the introductory character to Fire Emblem for the West.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Chrom is absolutely NOTHING like Marth.
I wouldn't say that. Chrom does take some design cues from Marth, but he draws more from Ike in the end. I agree that Divine is exaggerating the similarities between the two however. If Sakurai really wanted to, I'm sure he could make Chrom unique from Marth AN Ike.

I'd still prefer Anna, Robin, or Roy though. :p

Chrom's got a very good chance of getting in, what with Awakening's popularity not only in the east, but other here in the west.
You mean sales? Sorry, those don't affect much. Ike got into Brawl despite his games selling like crap.
He's got a pretty unique fighting style, considering that the in-game Marth bloodline thingie means that whilst he uses moves from Marth, he also has an Ike-ish style, signified with his use of Aether in the early cutscenes.
So he'd be unique because he's a mix of Marth and Ike? Try again.
Though to go to the discussion of Roy, he's not coming back. His game wasn't the trademark FE on the GBA (Eliwood, Lyn and Hector had that one), and when we think that he doesn't want to pamper to either the east or the west, it's pretty clear that IF we get a GBA lord, it won't be Roy. I'd wager on Lyn, since she was the introductory character to Fire Emblem for the West.
I'd argue that Roy's is the "flagship" game in the "GBA series." Roy's game is much grander in scale, with FE6 sending you to pretty much every corner of Elibe(unlike FE7, which only really took you to Lycia, Bern, Nabata, and Valor). Also note that IS chose Roy as the leader of the armies of the Elibe and Magvel army in the Awakening DLC.

Azule07

Smash Cadet
You mean sales? Sorry, those don't affect much. Ike got into Brawl despite his games selling like crap.
Granted, they might not turn the tides for much, but suppose Sakurai goes to IS like he did for Ike. Awakening saved the series from cancellation, and that alone has to be worth a lot to IS. And no, sales weren't my intention to bring up - i've seen more ads for Awakening than I have almost all the Nintendo games put together.
Even if that isn't the case, we'd just move on to look at how they've handled Fire Emblem lords in recent times - Marth's the flagship, and they always add the new one in over the old one.
So he'd be unique because he's a mix of Marth and Ike? Try again.
Actually, yes. Ike plays as a heavyweight with some quick jabs and long reaching moves, and Marth plays as a lightweight fencer. Watching Chrom's in-game and theatrical appearances portrays him pretty heavily as a heavy fencer, with very fast moves and then some very slow moves.
A swordsman who can switch between fast-paced offence and slow-paced punishing defense is a very interesting concept, and that's not even to consider Chrom's specials, such as the Exalted powers and the aforementioned Aether. Being the middleman between Chrom and Marth is a very unique point, and whilst I could chose to go on about how so, i'll move on to the next point.
I'd argue that Roy's is the "flagship" game in the "GBA series." Roy's game is much grander in scale, with FE6 sending you to pretty much every corner of Elibe(unlike FE7, which only really took you to Lycia, Bern, Nabata, and Valor). Also note that IS chose Roy as the leader of the armies of the Elibe and Magvel army in the Awakening DLC.
We can't really determine who's the flagship character of the entire GBA era based on what happens in Elibe, especially when FE8 didn't even take place on Elibe. However, I feel like I should bring up the fact that Fire Emblem is now a global franchise, with even Marth having outings outside of Japan. Roy, Lief, Siguard/Seliph are the only characters that come to my mind who play lord-esque roles who havn't starred in a game which isn't global, and that hampers their chances by quite a large amount, especially since Sakurai's stated he doesn't want to pander to either the East or West, but rather focus on the global perspective.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Granted, they might not turn the tides for much, but suppose Sakurai goes to IS like he did for Ike. Awakening saved the series from cancellation, and that alone has to be worth a lot to IS.
Assuming Sakurai even goes to IS, and he likes the character they suggest.
Even if that isn't the case, we'd just move on to look at how they've handled Fire Emblem lords in recent times - Marth's the flagship, and they always add the new one in over the old one.
He's done that in two games, that's hardly enough to judge whether or not there is a pattern here. Also, Neither Ike or Roy were added becausde they were recent, and Roy was planned to be in Brawl.
We can't really determine who's the flagship character of the entire GBA era based on what happens in Elibe, especially when FE8 didn't even take place on Elibe. However, I feel like I should bring up the fact that Fire Emblem is now a global franchise, with even Marth having outings outside of Japan. Roy, Lief, Siguard/Seliph are the only characters that come to my mind who play lord-esque roles who havn't starred in a game which isn't global, and that hampers their chances by quite a large amount, especially since Sakurai's stated he doesn't want to pander to either the East or West, but rather focus on the global perspective.
Didn't stop Roy and Marth from getting into Melee, or Marth from getting into Brawl.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
To be fair, our venerated director is more of a retro gamer. Maybe he is more a fan of the classic Fire Emblems, like myself.

Awakening did well in appealing to veterans of the series, so I hope Sakurai-san picked it up as well.Um...

They both have blue hair? And they both use swords and are royal...

Am I missing something?
It makes sense. Sakurai is on the younger side of Nintendo designers (or least he looks it) so he was probably in high school in the days of NES, so he had more time for video games. Nowadays, he spends a great deal amount of time and energy on his games, as we can tell by his work on Smash. So he definitely doesn't have the same amount of time.

In terms of international vs non-international, being non-international lowers a character's chances, but they can still get in. They just need compelling reasons for their addition. Roy made it into Melee because he was easy to make (like any other FE character derived from Marth would have been) and he had some characteristics that made him stand out. It doesn't make sense to compare FE series prior to Melee to what FE is today. FE going international influenced the series in many different ways. Marth made it into Brawl because his place in FE and Nintendo history outweighed his lack of an international release or any other factors. Roy, when it came to Brawl, unfortunately did not make the cut.

Chrom's international release is one advantage he has over Roy. I think it's hard to dispute that. It's also the advantage Ike had over in the pre-Brawl days. But these factors should weigh against other factors. However, I think these factors do carry a lot of weight.

I technically made a Chrom moveset via the Awakening Lords thread, so I thought I would share it. It derived partially from my Lucina moveset. Hopefully that doesn't show.
Chrom Moveset:
Some of the attacks use this movie as a reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NpJ_afFukQ
A button attacks
A-A-A: Slash: Chrom use high to low sword strike, from his left shoulder, to his opponent's right. He follows up with a second sword strike from the opposite side, and ends the combo with a left to right sword strike, that goes from low to mid .
A- forward: Turning strike: He turns his body counter clockwise and swings his sword with two hands in a mid to high slash.
A-up: Upward slash: Chrom slashes from his left hip to the right side in an upward direction.
A-down: One handed sword slash: While crouching, Chom slashes from right to left one, and a second press he stabs from left to right

Smash attacks
Forward: Shepherd's Blade: Standing still, Chrom slashes his sword with a doublehanded side slash. The sword has blue flames (3:30).
Down: Fallen Flames. Chrom does a slash on both sides with blue flames.
Up: Rise of the Exault: Chrom charges blue flames at his side, and hit an upward one handed slash with blue flames.

Aerials (note: in the air, she just hold her sword with her right hand.)
Nair: Slash: he slashes forward with his sword.
Fair: Spinning strike: he spins in the air, and strikes from his right shoulder to his left hip
Dair: Double handed slash. Chrom unleashes a two handed sword strike, from up to down. Seen at 5:40.
Bair: Turning strike: he turns in the air, beginning his strike mid through the air, but its a front slash

Grabs (not really able to throw opponent off the stage.
Grab: grabs opponent with left hand.
Grab + A: hits the opponent with his elbow.
Grab up: throws the opponent up, and slashes the opponent.
Grab down: Throw his opponent down, then does a downward stab, with his cape waving in the background.
Grab forward: throws the opponent forward, and then hits them with a slash
Grab back: throws her opponent backward, and then hits them with a back slash

Chrom Specials:
Neutral Special: Rightful King
Chrom stabs the sword into the ground with one hand, with fully waving cape behind him. Can be charged (Like prior to his battle animations in Awakening).
Side: Blue Aether - Chrom moves forward, stabbing the opponent with a one handed sword strike using the top edge of his Falchion. It has blue flames. He runs upright and is invincible during the move, but takes damage. (seen at 5:57).
Up: Divine Crash: Chrom waves his sword around really quickly, and jumps high in the air,, and does a downward two handed stab (with blue flame (seen at 3:40). Chrom only does damage on the way down but is unable to flinch prior.
Down: Counter - Like every other Fire Emblem character.

Chrom Taunts:
Up: Chrom hold his sword up and says: "Your end has come!"
Side: He points his sword forward and proclaims "Anything can change!"
Down: Chrom sheaths his sword and his cape waves in the background. He unsheathe's his sword to go back in to his normal stance.

Chrom Entrance:
Chrom arrives via warp spells (rescue in awakening). Chrom does his waving cape and then unsheathes his sword.

Kirby Hat:
Short blue hair and a small white cape for Chrom.

Chrom with this moveset would fit under the beatdown archetype.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Counter is supposed to be a play on the FE combat system. Somebody moves in to attack and your character retaliates.

Hong

The Strongest
It wasn't very good back in the day. The units you want to take hits are units who don't take much damage. Not only did it only have an activation chance (based off Skl, so it sucks at a low level), but it was only half damage reflection.

They tried to rebalance it in Awakening by giving it 100% activation rate and full damage return. This would be alright for players (throw it on a Battle Cleric or Dark Mage. who can take a lot of damage by design), but kind of absurd on enemy units. In fact, with how strong everyone becomes late game with pairing, it becomes the most lethal skill in the game. Some of the reinforcements that emerge have the skill, and if you are playing on Hard or Lunatic they get to go on the same turn. This means that they will run up to a heavy-hitter like Chrom and, since it is unlikely he will one-shot a Warrior, will outright kill Chrom with his own damage before the player has a chance to respond.

:( A real shame Awakening feels more like a memory game later on than a strategy one.
Chrom can't actually learn Counter, he can't turn into a Warrior :/
Aside from the fact it is symbolic of the series, it wouldn't matter.

When incorporating characters into Smash Bros, they are representatives of the series as much as they are of themselves. The PSI of Ness/Lucas and the Balloon Fighter ability of the Villager are a testament to this. You don't need to be down-to-the-detail, exactly-as-is when bringing these characters into a new environment. What is fun and what adds the most to the product, without distorting the character, is what is most important. It just has to be believable.

So like, while you couldn't have Ike using a staff, you could have a magic-user use a staff for one or two of their moves if it really rounded off their character, even if they only used tomes in their game. Similarly, I wouldn't be upset if they had moves inspired by a particular series quirk even if it did not work that way in the game. For example; you could have someone throw their sword and have it return like a boomerang (like how hand axes returned to the wielder in most entries) if it was necessitated by the needs of balance and fun. No one is going to be upset if it's ****ing awesome and doesn't really upset the character's image.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
To put my silly statement away, I simply want D-Spec to be different for Chrom.

Agreed. FE doesn't need more counters, and Star Fox doesn't need more reflectors. Boring, redundant specials isn't really the kind of tradition that Smash should stick to.

Though...
It could be interesting if Chrom got a Counter special that functioned more like the FE skill by taking an attack's damage but then returning half of it along with a stun attack.
I've made several movesets with counters that don't actually prevent the attack but take the blow in order to dish out some hefty retribution, and I think a stun would qualify as worth it.

Hong

The Strongest
He should counter with a javelin for ranged attacks.

Make those projectile-using ****ers pay for all the years of hardship Fire Emblem characters have had to endure.

Yamirah

Smash Rookie
I want Chrom in the new Smash Bros. but I also want Lyn,Eliwood,Roy,and Ike to be in it too but since Lyn and Eliwood came from a game for the GBA in the early 2000s,she most likely won't make it in.Roy is the same thing but is even older than Lyn.Ike is most likely to be replace because Chrom is the newest character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want Chrom in the new Smash Bros. but I also want Lyn,Eliwood,Roy,and Ike to be in it too but since Lyn and Eliwood came from a game for the GBA in the early 2000s,she most likely won't make it in.Roy is the same thing but is even older than Lyn.Ike is most likely to be replace because Chrom is the newest character.
How about just...

Marth
Ike
Chrom

Or...
Marth
Ike
Roy

We can have three FE characters you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom