• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What I meant was, do you have the artist's name? I'd rather not create an account just to get a name.:urg:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Chrom's english VA interview.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/07/interview_meet_matthew_mercer_voice_actor_for_chrom

Guy loves Smash and he supports Chrom. (Obviously)

...Chrom directed There Will Be Brawl?!? And played Kirby and Ganondorf? O_O
[Collapse=To put this into perspective, this is There Will Be Brawl's Kirby]
[/Collapse]

One interesting thing to note is that he hasn't been approached yet to do voice work for Smash. Now, I'm not sure how far in advance the dialogue is put into the game, but I found this interesting nonetheless.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Personally, i think they get the english voice actors after all the Japanese voice acting is done.

That's true. Perhaps it could be taken as a hint that if Chrom is in, there won't be a worldwide release a la X and Y?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Depends. Since we have no idea if the Japanese VA was approached or not either.

True. Plus, we don't know exactly when the voice-overs are put in, development-wise.

D

Deleted member

Seems to be very early if they're recycling voice/sound clips. (Example: Everyone that we know is currently in the game)
Not sure, since some characters don't seem to have voiceclips at all, implying they will get new ones. Notable cases are Pit (who would obviously get his Uprising voice), Bowser (possibly BiS style voice to match his revamp), and DK (might be getting his typical cartoony voice rather than realistic gorilla sounds again).
While the ones that are recycling may just simply keep recycling.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I don't get it, Anna is likeable but totally irrelevant in Awakening unless you count shopkeepers and important she does nothing of notice. And even as a unite I think both Gaius and moreso Gangrel surpass her as a unit.
Just curious, how many FE games have you played?

Edit: Wait a sec:
And even as a unite I think both Gaius and moreso Gangrel surpass her as a unit.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Just curious, how many FE games have you played?

Edit: Wait a sec:

what the hell I don't even remember posting that, I think I was visiting forums when whilst drunk again.... Even so I'd still pretty much stand by the statement. Gangrel is useless if you don't play post game but if you do play past post game he's actually a pretty good unit, if capped he matches or exceeds Anna in all stats except Luck and Str. Anna's actual stat growth might be better but by time you recruit Gangrel he won't have a super long way to go to start hitting his caps. Her luck is definitely nice but it doesn't blatantly overshadow Gangrel's higher Skl and Spd caps. That is assuming you have them both end up as tricksters but either unit could do decent in other classes as well. I personally prefer Gangrel's skill pool better as well but that comes down to mostly opinion. The biggest issue with Gangrel is his lack of support options. Anna has the same issue except she at least has Tiki, if you don't pair her with Tiki she's in the same bought of only being able to support the avatar.

Hong

The Strongest
Ah, so someone has posted the VA interview already.

I doubt Treehouse has started with voice work yet. I say this because the Japanese Wii Fit Trainer trailer had new voice clips compared to what was on Wii Fit Plus in Japan, while the NA video used sound clips from Wii Fit Plus in North America. So far we have not heard any new voice work for any of the characters. Generally from my experience in the business of localization (I do Chinese -> English, Korean -> English), voice work is the last thing we do because it is the worst thing in the world to fly people back in if we need more lines or something has to be changed. I don't have a lot of developer insight into what the team is doing for Super Smash Bros, but all of the voice work for Fire Emblem: Awakeing (LOTS of characters) happened relatively late towards international release. I suspect Smash Bros would be about six or so months before the product is shipped.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
My question is, why would they need additional voice work for Chrom in Smash? Can't they just use Chrom's already existing spoken dialogue in Awakening?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, they could, but I think that could be a bit...lazy. Either way, they likely won't need voice actors until later in development.

Hong

The Strongest
My question is, why would they need additional voice work for Chrom in Smash? Can't they just use Chrom's already existing spoken dialogue in Awakening?
Because it is a completely different product and the VA needs to do work for the proper context.

For example, the battle-grunts Chrom makes is suited for attacks that strike at slower intervals. They need to have an updated voice profile for quick attacks, strong attacks, dodges, picking up heavy items, counters, and whatever new moves Chrom will be given for the product. This includes his Final Smash. While they can find lines in the game suitable for the task, I am sure they will have new voice work for taunts and victory lines as well, since saying "ANYTHING CAN CHANGE!" during battle is different from "Anything can change." after battle.

In general that would basically be the worst idea ever, especially for what is likely to be the best game the Wii U has and you have already gone out of the way to hand-pick a specialized team for the effort.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Besides, Chrom probably also needs some voice work for other aesthetic things. Such as when he just comes out of the water for example.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
BIG NEWS.

I am now the owner of this thread, and am trying to get it into shape. I'll be compiling things in the OP in the coming days, so if anyone has a moveset that they'd like to repost, I'll add it to the OP. Expect more movesets, Biography details, and Counter Arguments in the coming days.

Also, I added a Supporter List, so if you support Chrom, feel free to say so. :3
How did you end up as the owner of this thread ?

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
Awakening's art style is a bit different from older games. Most noticeable in the design of the eyes.
The whole Fire Emblem series has the Anime/Manga motif, with PoR/RD FE became more mature anime, but with Awakening they decision was based upon fan appeal, and that's why they went with Shonen art style which makes it attract a bigger range of age group....The artist for PoR and RD is the one who did Samurai Showdown....

And the Awakening artist is the main artist for the No More Heroes game line....

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

Well, Starphoenix created this topic last year or so, before much information on Chrom was known. He largely forgot about it, and Noler_Mass offered to take control. Star agreed, and Noler got control of the thread. He vowed to rework the OP. After a while went by with him not doing it, I asked him if I could help. He said he really didn't have time for it, so I asked Mario and Sonic Guy if I could take over, since Noler agreed. Using his Mod-ly powers of Moderation, Mario and Sonic Guy gave me the OP, and I reworked it to fit the quality standard of threads made these days. I'm still working on it, though, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me! I'm trying to make the OP as good as I possibly can.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Well, Starphoenix created this topic last year or so, before much information on Chrom was known. He largely forgot about it, and Noler_Mass offered to take control. Star agreed, and Noler got control of the thread. He vowed to rework the OP. After a while went by with him not doing it, I asked him if I could help. He said he really didn't have time for it, so I asked Mario and Sonic Guy if I could take over, since Noler agreed. Using his Mod-ly powers of Moderation, Mario and Sonic Guy gave me the OP, and I reworked it to fit the quality standard of threads made these days. I'm still working on it, though, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to tell me! I'm trying to make the OP as good as I possibly can.
there's a much more simple answer:
Anything Can Change!

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd like to see an argument besides, "Chrom is bland and boring!". For the most part, that and his appearance are what are used against him. If anything, Lucina suffers from appearance issues because of her similarities to Marth. After all, her purpose in the game was to put on the ruse that she was actually Marth in the first place. Part of her character is to look like Marth.

If you ask me, saying Chrom is a bad choice is basically saying that almost every other lord can't get in because of it. Whats that? Lyn can get in because she's a girl and uses a different type of sword? Big whoop. She's still a sword wielding lord, and probably has just as much potential as Chrom. Think about that. Obviously Lyn would have a seperate play style from those around her, but the same could be said for Chrom. Finding it boring doesn't affect the legitimacy of his potential playstyles either.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd like to see an argument besides, "Chrom is bland and boring!". For the most part, that and his appearance are what are used against him. If anything, Lucina suffers from appearance issues because of her similarities to Marth. After all, her purpose in the game was to put on the ruse that she was actually Marth in the first place. Part of her character is to look like Marth.

If you ask me, saying Chrom is a bad choice is basically saying that almost every other lord can't get in because of it. Whats that? Lyn can get in because she's a girl and uses a different type of sword? Big whoop. She's still a sword wielding lord, and probably has just as much potential as Chrom. Think about that. Obviously Lyn would have a seperate play style from those around her, but the same could be said for Chrom. Finding it boring doesn't affect the legitimacy of his potential playstyles either.
Exactly. Calling him "boring" and "lacking potential" are extremely biased and rather ignorant statements that, for some reason, still get brought up as "legitimate" arguments against Chrom, despite being completely subjective.

Hong

The Strongest
I don't know... I really like Chrom. I know some people liked the GBA games and that's fine, but I didn't like the lead characters at all... >~< The Greil Mercenaries came along and brought a lot of spice to the series... and i still have strong feelings for them, but Chrom and much of the cast has seen life like the series has never seen before. Even when you put aside the fact this is the first time we have had a voiced presentation with animated scenes (besides a few cutscenes), I think some of the characters really stand out from the rest of the series for better or for worse. I understand some people are upset that Robin took charge of a lot of the narrative, but Chrom is still better than many of his predecessors and I think he respectable merit as a character.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion

For the most part, agreed. Chrom is not inherently more or less interesting than any other lord candidate...

I do actually think the "another blue hair sword lord" point is still valid though. To an extent. Mostly it's IS's fault for having that many similar looking protagonists in the first place, it isn't really Smash's responsibility to make the IS characters seem more interesting. IS should be putting a little more effort into avoiding redundant-seeming lords.

'course since Chrom and Lucina are Marth descendants, they of course had to look similar to Marth.

Really, the thing is that they absolutely should have tried harder to make Ike look more different. Marth and his kin are blue-haired, Roy's family are red-heads... what exactly does IS have against just having, say, a blonde lord? Ike would've worked just fine as with blonde, dirty blonde, brunette, purple, green, or yellow hair...
Sigh. This argument portions of this thread probably would've been much smaller if they'd just done that.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'd also like to point out that saying Roy is unique because he has fire is saying that Leif is unique for whatever powers his sword had. Or whatever it was. Granted i'd like to see Roy come back, but saying he has a better chance to be unique because he has fire isn't a complete deal breaker for Chrom either, which is what I tend to see in Roy v. Chrom debates.

Again, I want both in. But i'd rather see Chrom because I like him better.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Funnily, literally the only Lord in the entire franchise that has a normal hair color is Leif. Everyone else has technicolor hair like blue, red, green, and such. Blue in particular is probably the most common color used because blue is typically associated with the player's side, and as such blue is emphasized with the overall designs of many Lords.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Funnily, literally the only Lord in the entire franchise that has a normal hair color is Leif. Everyone else has technicolor hair like blue, red, green, and such. Blue in particular is probably the most common color used because blue is typically associated with the player's side, and as such blue is emphasized with the overall designs of many Lords.

Interesting, are blue-haired villains in FE not really a thing? I never really thought about it.

In Anime-esque things, I generally assume blue hair is meant to represent black hair simply because it often does, but... I have no clue if that's the case in FE.

Ike woulda looked good with a nice auburn. Kind of earthy and real, would have helped to show off how un-royalty he is.

Hey, as far as Chrom goes, do you guys think that he'll be given a "canon" marriage or do you think they'll just write future games to make it not matter?

•Col•

Smash Champion
I'd also like to point out that saying Roy is unique because he has fire is saying that Leif is unique for whatever powers his sword had. Or whatever it was. Granted i'd like to see Roy come back, but saying he has a better chance to be unique because he has fire isn't a complete deal breaker for Chrom either, which is what I tend to see in Roy v. Chrom debates.

Again, I want both in. But i'd rather see Chrom because I like him better.
Kinda a bad analogy considering Sakurai purposely chose Roy over Leif precisely because he felt Roy brought more to the table.

Chrom is the new Leif in terms of being Generic McGee as a fighter.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I've seen some pretty darn cool movesets posted for Chrom, as well as other lords like Lyn and even revamped moves for Roy as well, so the playstyle and moveset potential is more than enough to make Chrom, Lyn, and even Roy to stand out from a gameplay perspective.

Edit: Even giving Chrom something as simple as the ability to throw and possibly pick up a spear would be great, the lack of projectiles from Marth, Roy, and Ike is one of the biggest factors in why I decided to main Peach in Melee and ZSS in Brawl.

I kind of wish that Manaketes were better represented in Smash and in Fire Emblem, they seem to be such a staple to the Fire Emblem series and who wouldn't want to summon someone like Tiki as an Assist Trophy?

D

Deleted member

No, Generic McGee is Marth.
Chrom's not Marth level of blandness. Not by a long shot. Neither is Leif.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Interesting, are blue-haired villains in FE not really a thing? I never really thought about it.

In Anime-esque things, I generally assume blue hair is meant to represent black hair simply because it often does, but... I have no clue if that's the case in FE.

Ike woulda looked good with a nice auburn. Kind of earthy and real, would have helped to show off how un-royalty he is.

Hey, as far as Chrom goes, do you guys think that he'll be given a "canon" marriage or do you think they'll just write future games to make it not matter?
Pretty sure they'll just write it not to matter. Imposing a "canon" marriage for any of the characters kinda kills of the point of letting you set it up how you like. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see much more of the Akaneia series, if they do it will probably done either in a time where your decisions wouldn't be referenced or have it be a different part of the world where only the very basics of Chrom and Co's adventure are know. Who knows though I could be wrong, it would just seem silly to me to canonize all the plot elements that are left up to the player.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Roy brought more to the table? Maybe that was why he was chosen, but he certainly wasn't shown to be too unique in Melee. He was a direct clone from Marth if that means anything. However I'm willing to bet that Leif would've been as well.

Also, i'd like to ask about the stage shown off today. It looks...a lot like Arena Ferox from the outside. Or something from Fire Emblem anyway. I'll post the picture in a few minutes.

Here it is:

EDIT: Somebody in another thread says it's from Kid Icarus: Uprising. Guess I was wrong so never mind.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

I sort of think IS is already pushing a canon marriage for Chrom: Sumia. Considering how few marriage options Sumia has (the same amount as Chrom), the "Lovebirds" cutscene, and the Awakening opening that shows Sumia holding baby Lucina. Just my view on it, anyway.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Not really. There are a handful of antagonists that have black hair, but that's as close as you're going to get.

Also to again go back to that rule of symbolism, antagonists often use a shade of red in their design to represent the enemy side.

Canonically married to Sumia.

Roy brought more to the table? Maybe that was why he was chosen, but he certainly wasn't shown to be too unique in Melee. He was a direct clone from Marth if that means anything. However I'm willing to bet that Leif would've been as well.
The problem is that regardless on whom, the 2nd character was always going to be a clone of Marth. A 2nd Fire Emblem character was not planned for Melee initially, and the idea only cropped up when there was a desire to make a batch of clone characters at the last minute to pad out the roster. Roy was chosen because he was the option that stood out the most out all the possible options at the time.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Not really. There are a handful of antagonists that have black hair, but that's as close as you're going to get.

Also to again go back to that rule of symbolism, antagonists often use a shade of red in their design to represent the enemy side.

Canonically married to Sumia.

The problem is that regardless on whom, the 2nd character was always going to be a clone of Marth. A 2nd Fire Emblem character was not planned for Melee initially, and the idea only cropped up when there was a desire to make a batch of clone characters at the last minute to pad out the roster. Roy was chosen because he was the option that stood out the most out all the possible options at the time.

I bet Roy's secretly evil. Red hair, throwing around all that demonic fire...

Sumia doesn't seem very interesting... though, I suppose the fact that dozens of shallow animes that think "a girl who trips a lot" makes an interesting character has embittered me against that character concept.

"ah hah she's super clumsy and manages to trip over her own feet all the time let's put her in the front lines of battle and see how she does"

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Regardless of if they managed to make Sumia interesting or not - it is pretty clear she was the canon choice for Chrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom