• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anything Can Change! Chrom for SSB4 - Closing Remarks, and an Invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's, however, worth mentioning that it's suggested that Chrom along with other misfits from other Fire Emblem games will make an appearance in Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. However, there are a lot of factors as to what that game entitles for Fire Emblem. Like for example, will it be non-canon to the Fire Emblem lore? Are the Fire Emblem characters merely glorified summons in lore to catching and using demons in the Shin Megami Tensei series? Will the characters displayed in the teaser trailer actually show up in the final product? What happens after that game is released?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm liking the changes in here. Looking good!

I really don't think there is any way to tell if they will continue to use Chrom at this point. We'll have to wait and see on that one.

Add me to the Shepards.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's, however, worth mentioning that it's suggested that Chrom along with other misfits from other Fire Emblem games will make an appearance in Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem. However, there are a lot of factors as to what that game entitles for Fire Emblem. Like for example, will it be non-canon to the Fire Emblem lore? Are the Fire Emblem characters merely glorified summons in lore to catching and using demons in the Shin Megami Tensei series? Will the characters displayed in the teaser trailer actually show up in the final product?

I definitely feel that this is worth looking into. I think we'll need more information on the game in general to really tell. I am looking forward to it, though. I do think, though, that the characters shown in the trailer would show up.

Hong

The Strongest
Chrom has absolutely no long term impact. Which is exactly why I feel Chrom is just a flavor of the month. A lot of people say that he is likely to get into Smash 4 due to recentness.. But then does that also mean that if he got into Smash 4, that he should be removed and replaced by the newest lord when Smash 5 comes around?
I don't see anything wrong with this. I love Path of Radiance more than any entry of the series, but in general if we have a series with many characters spanning several generations, I hate having middle-folk kicking around after they are less relevant. If someone can replace them, they should, to represent the newest face of the series. Ike doesn't really have anything that gives him much notoriety anymore outside of his appearance in Smash (irrelevant to his home series) and being the ancestor of Priam. I like Chrom and I will definitely remember him down the road (unlike the GBA protagonists), but when it comes to 2020, I am fine with them giving him the boot and bringing in a new character. I mean, it is not like Brawl or Smash 4 is going to disappear all of a sudden when the next game comes out. Ike will still be there, Chrom will still be there. I want someone new. I want to see how they are interpreted.

It is for this very same reason that I detest the existence of Ness. Basically a rehashed Ninten. Sure EarthBound (a ****ing amazing game) had made it out of Japan so he has some international exposure, but I wish they would just release Mother (which Nintendo already officially translated) worldwide and put Ninten in the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Ike doesn't really have anything that gives him much notoriety anymore outside of his appearance in Smash (irrelevant to his home series) and being the ancestor of Priam.
Well, besides him appearing in Fire Emblem: Awakening (SWORD ARM) and going to appear in Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.

Hong

The Strongest
Well, not sure how notorious that is when there were 119 other heroes with him. :b

Granted, I like how the DLC refers to him as the strongest champion of the seven realms.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't see anything wrong with this. I love Path of Radiance more than any entry of the series, but in general if we have a series with many characters spanning several generations, I hate having middle-folk kicking around after they are less relevant. If someone can replace them, they should, to represent the newest face of the series. Ike doesn't really have anything that gives him much notoriety anymore outside of his appearance in Smash (irrelevant to his home series) and being the ancestor of Priam. I like Chrom and I will definitely remember him down the road (unlike the GBA protagonists), but when it comes to 2020, I am fine with them giving him the boot and bringing in a new character. I mean, it is not like Brawl or Smash 4 is going to disappear all of a sudden when the next game comes out. Ike will still be there, Chrom will still be there. I want someone new. I want to see how they are interpreted.

It is for this very same reason that I detest the existence of Ness. Basically a rehashed Ninten. Sure EarthBound (a ****ing amazing game) had made it out of Japan so he has some international exposure, but I wish they would just release Mother (which Nintendo already officially translated) worldwide and put Ninten in the game.

I disagree, actually. I feel Chrom should get in, but in addition to Ike. I'd hate to see Chrom become a Replacement Scrappy. And I also disagree with the "We could just play them in the older games" mentality. What if someone wanted to pit the Villager against Ike, but couldn't because he was cut? Going back to Brawl wouldn't help in that case. Cuts should only happen in the case of time constraints, and replacements shouldn't be made because a character is "outdated." Olimar already disproves that line of thinking.

Over all, should Chrom get in, it will be on his own merits, and not as an Ike replacement. Characters need to make people want to play the game. And if Chrom is shown as a blatant Ike replacement, that isn't making their inclusion too thrilling. Marth, Ike and Chrom (heck, Roy as well) can all coexist, "recentness" be damned.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Well, besides him appearing in Fire Emblem: Awakening (SWORD ARM) and going to appear in Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem.
All the recent main characters were in the trailer for SMTxFE. Sothe was even in the trailer.

I think the first thing to recognize is that FE is a transient series, in that the heroes constantly change. The series will always be this way, and if it continues to succeed, the question will come up who should represent it (old or new) will always come up. I think it's up to Sakurai when it comes to 5 whether he wants to keep whoever was in 4. There will be a definite amount of permanence with Marth, but everything else can change within time. We can't discuss the merits of Chrom and Ike against characters who haven't been even thought up. The question is can Chrom stand out in Smash 4 (really, the question for any FE newcomer including Lucina and Anna). I think the answer to that is yes, and even in addition to Ike. There'll be time discuss Smash 5 in the many years after Smash 4's release.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm in a peculiar spot...

First of all, I want Marth and Ike to return. Period end of discussion...

After that... I'm thinking we will either get Chrom or Roy, and even though I still want Roy, Chrom is starting to grow on me. I think I would be satisfied with...

Marth
Ike
Chrom/Roy

I'm not sure if I consider myself a Chrom supporter, but I don't think I would mind his inclusion if it happened any more.

Can I be considered a Chrom supporter? I mean...Both Roy and Chrom would be ideal. But I think Roy should get priority....

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
For me it comes down to the moveset. Ike and Marth have two total opposite playstyles and Roy was just too similar to Marth. If they make Roy more unique I'd be all for his return.
I'm not entirely sure how different Chrom would be - maybe middle ground between Marth and Ike?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm in a peculiar spot...

First of all, I want Marth and Ike to return. Period end of discussion...

After that... I'm thinking we will either get Chrom or Roy, and even though I still want Roy, Chrom is starting to grow on me. I think I would be satisfied with...

Marth
Ike
Chrom/Roy

I'm not sure if I consider myself a Chrom supporter, but I don't think I would mind his inclusion if it happened any more.

Can I be considered a Chrom supporter? I mean...Both Roy and Chrom would be ideal. But I think Roy should get priority....

If you'd like, I can add you to the supporter list. After all, you aren't against Chrom. :p Up to you, though.

For me it comes down to the moveset. Ike and Marth have two total opposite playstyles and Roy was just too similar to Marth. If they make Roy more unique I'd be all for his return.
I'm not entirely sure how different Chrom would be - maybe middle ground between Marth and Ike?

In my opinion, Chrom can go in a few different ways. Middle-ground is one way, for sure. But there are some other ways to add to the "flair." Exalted Falchion, Pedestal of Flames, Weapon Switching, and if they want to use a few more resources, maybe a tagteam with Lucina, although that last option is rather doubtful at this point.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm been backing up Chrom since day one on many sites and liked his character in Awakening. I'd like to be added as a Shepard, my dear marsupial friend.

D

Deleted member

Why are Chrom's supporters being called shepherds? :p
It's supposed to be a reference to Awakening; Chrom has his select mercenary team known as the "Shepherds". At least from what I know.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Why are Chrom's supporters being called shepherds? :p

What Golden said, pretty much. The Shepherds are Chrom's army, so I figured the title was appropriate. :p

TheKingOfTown

Smash Apprentice
Can I be added? :) I personally think there is way too much hate for Chrom on here, even though I can see why. But I don't care. I think Chrom is awesome, and, in terms of personality, much more interesting than most lords in the FE series. Plus, if he is in, I'm confident Sakurai can give him a unique moveset.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
I'd like to be added as a supporter as well.

And, Opossum, I made a Chrom move set a while back if you want to add it to the OP. Im working on a second one, though, so its up to you.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'd like to be added as a supporter as well.

And, Opossum, I made a Chrom move set a while back if you want to add it to the OP. Im working on a second one, though, so its up to you.

Cool! Do you have a :link: on hand by any chance?

And yeah, I could add either one you prefer, or even both if you want.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I just realized earlier today one of the bigger reasons I don't particularly care for Chrom. It has to do with the dumb artstyle direction of FE13 in general. It's VERY animu-ish.

Which also explains his current 'fanbase'. Dem weaboos eat that **** up like lemmings. :/

From several interviews with Sakurai, it seems like this is EXACTLY what he doesn't want. He doesn't like having to remove characters, which leads me to believe he doesn't look at any of the series in Smash with "Oh, I'll add this character and replace him next game" in mind.

I'm certainly not going to support a character for Smash believing that they should be replaced in the sequel. If the majority of Chrom supporters actually feel this way then it just further cements the idea in my head that they don't understand how Sakurai thinks.

Also, Ike is definitely on a different level than other FE lords. (Obviously Marth is even higher than that, but that's mostly due to being the first lord ever) He's the only lord aside from Marth to be a lord and play a major role in 2 different Fire Emblem games. Not to mention, that those two games have been the only FE games released on a home console in the last 13 years. First primary lord that was not from royalty... Had a DLC chapter of Awakening.. And Priam just goes to show that IS recognizes that he's on another level from other lords as well. The only other lord that got any descendants in this game was Marth himself..

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is adding the most recent lord to Smash purely due to recency/relevancy doesn't work because before a Smash game is a quarter of the way through it's lifespan, the character you added due to recency will already be 'outdated'. If they weren't working on that new FExSMT game, most likely a new Fire Emblem game with NEW lords would've been released within a year after Smash 4.

So again, with your type of thinking.... Let's say Chrom got into Smash 4 with generic swordsman moveset. Theoretically, if it was possible for Sakurai to use DLC to remove Chrom and replace him with the newest FE lord after just a year or two after Smash 4's release using minimal effort, then they should. Same goes for other series like Pokemon and the like. Because that's honestly how fast the 'faces' of those franchise change.

If you want to support a long term, reoccurring, relevant character that can be considered a face of the FE franchise, go support Anna or My Unit, who will most likely be in the majority of FE games from now on.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I just realized earlier today one of the bigger reasons I don't particularly care for Chrom. It has to do with the dumb artstyle direction of FE13 in general. It's VERY animu-ish.

Which also explains his current 'fanbase'. Dem weaboos eat that **** up like lemmings. :/

Wait what? Doesn't the entire series have an anime/manga style going for it anyway?

Or am I missing something? :/

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm certainly not going to support a character for Smash believing that they should be replaced in the sequel. If the majority of Chrom supporters actually feel this way then it just further cements the idea in my head that they don't understand how Sakurai thinks.

I can't speak for every Chrom supporter, but myself, and many others wouldn't want to see Chrom replaced down the road if added, nor want Ike replaced. I do think it's too early to tell what the future of Fire Emblem has for Chrom, but I'm sure it'll be positive. It's just a lot of people that happen to support Chrom are patternists or bad speculators, sadly. Though I personally think Chrom himself takes too much of the blame for this, much more than he should. It just kind of happens that the patternists stuck to a genuinely good character, and sort of ruined the perception of the choice for everyone with the "Ike should get replaced by Chrom/new Lord" mentality. I honestly feel that Chrom should only be in addition to Ike.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Clearly you've never been to NeoGAF, GameFAQs, or 4chan.

I said many, not all. Clearly he has the unfortunate case of idiots. But really, what character doesn't at this point? I wouldn't burn down a whole orchard because a couple of trees got wood rot.

...That was an odd analogy.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Wait what? Doesn't the entire series have an anime/manga style going for it anyway?

Or am I missing something? :/
Awakening's art style is a bit different from older games. Most noticeable in the design of the eyes.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Awakening's art style is a bit different from older games. Most noticeable in the design of the eyes.
It does look a bit more modern yes whereas the earlier games in the series had an anime/manga style that looked more like some of the old anime cartoons I suppose. Still don't really see the big deal but oh well.... Opinions eh?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not sure, I think its alright really, looks a bit more fresh compared to the previous installments in the series and I like how they designed Anna in that game but yeah. In the end its all a matter of opinion really.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Chrom... the main character from the most successful FE game ever that SAVED the series from slipping into extinction has the best chance out of all FE characters aside from Marth/Ike for a third FE roster spot.

Add me to the shepards!

Igneous42

Smash Ace

From several interviews with Sakurai, it seems like this is EXACTLY what he doesn't want. He doesn't like having to remove characters, which leads me to believe he doesn't look at any of the series in Smash with "Oh, I'll add this character and replace him next game" in mind.

Also, Ike is definitely on a different level than other FE lords. (Obviously Marth is even higher than that, but that's mostly due to being the first lord ever) He's the only lord aside from Marth to be a lord and play a major role in 2 different Fire Emblem games. Not to mention, that those two games have been the only FE games released on a home console in the last 13 years. First primary lord that was not from royalty... Had a DLC chapter of Awakening.. And Priam just goes to show that IS recognizes that he's on another level from other lords as well. The only other lord that got any descendants in this game was Marth himself..

Anyway, all I'm trying to say is adding the most recent lord to Smash purely due to recency/relevancy doesn't work because before a Smash game is a quarter of the way through it's lifespan, the character you added due to recency will already be 'outdated'. If they weren't working on that new FExSMT game, most likely a new Fire Emblem game with NEW lords would've been released within a year after Smash 4.

So again, with your type of thinking.... Let's say Chrom got into Smash 4 with generic swordsman moveset. Theoretically, if it was possible for Sakurai to use DLC to remove Chrom and replace him with the newest FE lord after just a year or two after Smash 4's release using minimal effort, then they should. Same goes for other series like Pokemon and the like. Because that's honestly how fast the 'faces' of those franchise change.

If you want to support a long term, reoccurring, relevant character that can be considered a face of the FE franchise, go support Anna or My Unit, who will most likely be in the majority of FE games from now on.
While I agree with the gist of your statement here I also think it's a pretty unrealistic expectation to hold Sakurai to. I don't think he ever adds a character with the thought "this is good because this character is easily replaced!" I think in a perfect world he would keep every character every time. Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world and there are things like time constraints and budgets to consider. While I think he avoids removing characters in some cases as we saw with from Melee to Brawl it's a necessary evil. As much as we'd all love it we can't expect every veteran to always come back and still get a bunch of new characters, and it's an issue that is compounded every release as each entry is bigger and bigger. Now that doesn't mean people will or have to be cut this time, I'm hoping none are, but if characters do get cut it seems like generational characters from series like Pokemon and Fire Emblem are at biggest risk. Otherwise we'd just get less and less newcomers each time and while I'm all for bringing back the majority of the case I also would be pretty disippointed if say the three newcomers we've seen are all the newcomers that make it because of roster limitations. Smash is a series that literally has 100s of potential characters, even if you cut out the outrageously unlikely characters I'd say there is still easily 20-30 viable contenders.

Though that's beside the point, even by your logic I think Chrom makes sense. Hell, if anything by your comment he makes more sense. He is the primary protagonist of the game that saved the series from cancellation or at the very least saved it from being put in the storage room for a long time. Despite interviews I dunno if I buy that Nintendo would just be like "whelp Fire Emblem is done forever" however they could definetly put it on hold for 10-15+ years, they like doing that with some of their smaller IPs it seems. Either way I think it cements Chrom to a important position within Fire Emblem, he led the charge in the game that saved the series. That will be felt for a long time coming I think.

Also you can add me to the supports list. I think Chrom is most likely either way but that doesn't mean that's the only reason I like him. I genuinely like him better than most of his competition other than maybe Robin/MU. However a generic MU wouldn't be...well MY unit so unless I can customize it to look exactly like my character and be a Wyvern Lord (which my avatar was) it's not really my character to me. I guess the exception is that I don't want him as a replacement of Ike. Ike is my favorite Lord, if they added Chrom to just past Ike's moveset on top of him I'd be disappointed. I'd get over it but still it would suck.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yea. I myself like Chrom because well...I like Chrom. I wouldn't want to see him replaced down the road at all.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
I haven't played FE yet, but even I can see Chrom is the obvious choice. Also he seems cool. So add me to the Commander Shepards.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Buy FE:A, there's a good reason why I have Anna as my avatar.
I don't get it, Anna is likeable but totally irrelevant in Awakening unless you count shopkeepers and important she does nothing of notice. And even as a unite I think both Gaius and moreso Gangrel surpass her as a unit.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Okay, a sort of minor update to the OP, but I have added a fanart section. So if you have a piece of Chrom artwork that is Safe for Work and want it to be displayed in the OP, feel free to post it, and I'll add it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Thanks, BluePikmin! It's been added to the OP. Do you have the name of the source, by any chance?

cephalopod17

Smash Ace
NNID
cephalopod17
Let me get this strait the first Fire Emblem game I have played is Awaking. However I have been playing SSB since Melee. I do not remember Roy that much as Marth,but Ike definitely has personality and is one of my favorite lords. Now after playing and re-playing Awaking,I think that Chrom (or Avatar) should appear in SSB4,but not to replace Ike,but to co-exist with him. I do not think that 3 Fire Emblem Reps is unreasonable. I do not think that Ike needs to be replaced with Chrom or anyone else. I see Chrom at worst being a middle ground between Ike and Marth. I could get a lot more creative with his moveset,but I lake time. He along with the Avatar (Robin) is a main character and has a lot of personality. I'd be ok with Avatar as long as customization is in place,but I think Chrom is the best new Fire Emblem rep right now. Add me to the Shepards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom