• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Animal Crossing's Friendly Merchant: The Tom Nook Thread [CHANCES UP BY 100%]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smady

Smash Master
Wait... The Villager isn't comical? A lot of the stuff he does, like tripping with a pot or growing an entire tree just to chop it down onto an opponent, strike me as actions that would be considered funny.
Good point. Tom Nook wouldn't be serious either though, pretty much everyone in Animal Crossing is kooky. That's almost the theme of the entire game, living in a weird new neighborhood. That in mind I'd instead say that Nook's likely to just have a more defined personality than Villager, but still be on the comical side. I'm sure you could differentiate between the two, but it's not easy, given the series already has a tough time getting movesets in Smash Bros.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wait... The Villager isn't comical? A lot of the stuff he does, like tripping with a pot or growing an entire tree just to chop it down onto an opponent, strike me as actions that would be considered funny.
I think he should have used the word "clumsy".

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Good point. Tom Nook wouldn't be serious either though, pretty much everyone in Animal Crossing is kooky. That's almost the theme of the entire game, living in a weird new neighborhood. That in mind I'd instead say that Nook's likely to just have a more defined personality than Villager, but still be on the comical side. I'm sure you could differentiate between the two, but it's not easy, given the series already has a tough time getting movesets in Smash Bros.
So, you mean a personality that could only be interpreted in a very specific, defined way? In other words, the opposite of the Villager's left-to-interpretation personality that turned him into a serial killer?

Smady

Smash Master
So, you mean a personality that could only be interpreted in a very specific, defined way? In other words, the opposite of the Villager's left-to-interpretation personality that turned him into a serial killer?
Exactly!

Considering that Villager is able to grow a tree and cut it down all progressively, I think Nook could have a way to tax the foe's percentage, draining it slowly for a limited amount of time. This would also let him run away like a coward, not out-of-character for Nook. It's something that sounds really dumb but in practice, if it's all on moves that are also an attack, can work just fine.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I have to admit, the absence of Tom Nook is very suspicious.......but I wouldn't disregard the chance of him being an assist just yet.

As an Animal Crossing fan I'd be happy to see him playable, although at the same time I feel satisfied with Villager and would like to see other new franchises get a chance.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I have to admit, the absence of Tom Nook is very suspicious.......but I wouldn't disregard the chance of him being an assist just yet.

As an Animal Crossing fan I'd be happy to see him playable, although at the same time I feel satisfied with Villager and would like to see other new franchises get a chance.
I think his chances of being an Assist now are pretty low. There's already Isabelle, and a very plausible return of Mr. Ressetti. I think the Animal Crossing Assist Trophy slots are probably booked at this point. I'm thinking that it's more likely he'll just be a background character again, and it's coincidence that he hasn't been seen yet.

And as a fellow fan of Animal Crossing, I agree that I would like seeing him. It's just that I think he isn't necessary and would be, for a lot of people, just taking up space that could have gone to someone else.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Well hopefully we might see our favorite (or not so favorite to some people) tanuki in smash one form or another. This might be a long shot but maybe we might see him in the new direct and showing Isabel was a lil hint ^^

andimidna

Smash Master
I always assumed he wasn't deconfirmed because he was going to be an assist...
I also assumed that because Isabelle was in official artwork she was only going to receive a cameo...
There's no reason for Resetti to go...

Guys... I legitimately think Tom Nook is going to happen now...

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I don't think it would be shocking for Animal Crossing to get three assists. For all we know the amount of assists in this game has gone up significantly over brawl. Major franchises could end up with 3-4 assists each.

Plus if Sakurai is finding it difficult to justify playable characters for a popular franchise, assist trophies could be seen as the answer.

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
I don't think it would be shocking for Animal Crossing to get three assists. For all we know the amount of assists in this game has gone up significantly over brawl. Major franchises could end up with 3-4 assists each.
Of course it's still possible, but the chance of him as an assist just reduced dramatically.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The others did say it before, I think the only obstacle left really is if he's part of Villager's final smash.
Then if it's not, Tom Nook I feel is going to make it as playable.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
if tom nook gets in, I'm going to draw

+

"Youse talkin' to me?!"

you know, cause loan sharks and stuff

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The others did say it before, I think the only obstacle left really is if he's part of Villager's final smash.
Then if it's not, Tom Nook I feel is going to make it as playable.
...Why would he be part of the Villager's Final Smash?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
...Why would he be part of the Villager's Final Smash?
Some people say he'll be part of his FS that he'll make the house fall down out of nowhere.

Idk, people are suggesting it though.

I think the BEES are a way better option, for obvious reasons.
You should change the thread title's (Brand new OP) into (Get Hyped for April 8th).

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Some people say he'll be part of his FS that he'll make the house fall down out of nowhere.
Well, that's an... interesting idea.

But what about the possibility that Tom Nook is, in fact, a background character again, and it just so happens that he hasn't been shown yet by coincidence? I mean, the crowds seem to change each time, correct? Isn't it possible that they just haven't had a picture showing him there?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's up there, but I really doubt it. :p
I don't think it's fair to give him just the background treatment when Isabelle gets the special AT treatment.
Well, to be fair, Isabelle did have an arguably more prominent role in New Leaf than Nook did. And in actuality, I think her inclusion as an Assist makes a lot of sense. She is, literally, an assistant, and judging by Sakurai's comment, she might be an entirely new type of assist that helps you rather than harms your opponents. It actually makes a lot of sense why she was made into an Assist when you thing about it.

EDIT: Really? Isabelle boosts Tom Nook's chances by 100%? I'm still not seeing the reasoning for that...

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Yeah, but it shouldn't really stop how prominent overall in the span of 15 years of AC that Tom Nook is. He deserves a bigger role, and I think his uniqueness will have him through the final SSB4 roster.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yeah, but it shouldn't really stop how prominent overall in the span of 15 years of AC that Tom Nook is. He deserves a bigger role, and I think his uniqueness will have him through the final SSB4 roster.
uniqueness? I want nook in too but I can think of at least 20 more unique characters.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Uh...why are his chances up 100%?

Nobody has that much of a chance. Especially not Tom Nook. Not ruling him out, but he's certainly not the most likely.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Uh...why are his chances up 100%?

Nobody has that much of a chance. Especially not Tom Nook. Not ruling him out, but he's certainly not the most likely.
don't take that seriously. it's not by 100% but there was a huge spike after Isabelle's assist confirmation.

plus that wouldn't make sense cause then the math would be at like 110-130%

So tell me any plausible character that doesn't have merchant-related attacks and is much more important, recognized Nintendo character at a higher regard than Tom Nook.
I didn't say merchant. I was saying there were more unique characters than Tom Nook.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I think it would be hilarious if Tom Nook ran around with a giant bag of money and smacked people with it quite frankly.

I'll say it now, but I wouldn't MIND Tom Nook. I think he'd probably be a fun character. I would just rather have confirmation of other characters as well. Such as Palutena, Ridley, K.Rool, Shulk, etc...

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I think it would be hilarious if Tom Nook ran around with a giant bag of money and smacked people with it quite frankly.

I'll say it now, but I wouldn't MIND Tom Nook. I think he'd probably be a fun character. I would just rather have confirmation of other characters as well. Such as Palutena, Ridley, K.Rool, Shulk, etc...
honestly I'd take anyone at this point.

except pacman

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
True, Tom Nook is more prominent in the series as a whole. I certainly agree with you there. But I don't think that necessarily means that not being an Assist Trophy makes him playable...

Also, we've discussed his uniqueness in the Official Character thread earlier, but I don't think that discussion reached a conclusion. And forgive me if I'm being narrow-minded here, but that vast majority of what I think Tom Nook could do is already done by the Villager. All three of the movesets in the OP have some sort of thing that's already done by the Villager. There are some things he could pull off for some great specials, no doubt. That leaf to furniture idea is a really fun one. But I'm not seeing an entire playstyle that could be made out of what he has left.

So tell me any plausible character that doesn't have merchant-related attacks and is much more important, recognized Nintendo character at a higher regard than Tom Nook.
Any plausible character that is important to Nintendo that isn't a merchant? Off the top of my head...

Mewtwo, Ridley, King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Palutena, Mii, Takamaru, Lip, Toon Zelda, Impa, Meowth, Zoroark, Bowser Jr., Toad, Paper Mario, Waluigi, Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Isaac, and... how about Ashley?

Just a few examples I could think of.

OctiVick

Smash Journeyman
Who knows maybe we can see him along side a few other newcomers on the 8th. I would love to see him and I'm interested to see what can be done with him ^w^

Speculator

Smash Ace
The thing is, Villager is a pretty all-encompassing Animal Crossing rep. He utilizes a pretty wide variety of AC gameplay elements. While I accept that Tom Nook has the merchant thing going on, I'm not sure that's enough to justify a second rep for a series that's already covering all the essentials with one character.

Smady

Smash Master
The one thing for me is that Tom Nook is the most important AC character period, Villager is simply the best rep for the player or protagonist role. If there was an antagonist role for that game, it's Nook - he gives a purpose for the player to repay their debt. I believe he's starred in every AC game and if Isabelle is an assist trophy, and Tom Nook doesn't appear on the AC stage, then it follows that either he is also an assist trophy or a playable character. Either that, or some very strange boss? We are in an odd situation now that makes Nook likelier than I thought was possible, but as far as I see it, his chances are at a high so long after Villager without any confirmation of what role he's going to play.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Let's think logically what aspects of Animal Crossing life the villager is missing.

Furniture placement
Anything involving Bells
Stupid Fetch Quests
Slowly using money to better your life <--- The big 'un

I think Tom Nook Should play Something like Frank West in UMVC3 where he can make himself stronger if he pulls the right moves.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, this whole Tom Nook discussion has made me a little interested in finding out just how likely Tom Nook as a character actually is. Seeing as how we now have an Isabelle Assist Trophy, it seems very unlikely at this point that Tom Nook could appear as an Assist Trophy himself. So that's one possible non-playable role almost ruled out. That leaves, I think, two possibilities. At this point, Tom Nook is most likely either playable, or a background character for the Wii U Animal Crossing stage. I decided to do a little research into what all we've seen out of the background of that stage, and I think I found some information that could prove interesting.

Looking through all the pictures that have shown off the Animal Crossing stage, it seems that there are four total groups of characters that can appear in the background: two groups for the town theme, and two for the city theme. Since very early on after the game was announced, we've known about two of these groups: one group is set in the town and has the characters Wendell, Sahara, and Pelly, the other being set in the city with the characters Crazy Redd, Dr. Shrunk, Gracie, and a Gyroid. In the vast majority of the pictures we've seen since, the characters in the background have either been out of the picture, or have been the same characters we've already seen the the first groups. Recently, however, two new groups of characters have been shown off. A new group of characters in the town could be seen in the picture where Rosalina was knocked unconcious; this group contains, as far as we know, the characters Sable and one of Tom Nook's nephews. Since this groups is smaller than the previous two, and considering that the picture of Rosalina offered only a limited view of the stage, it seems safe to assume that there are more characters in this group that have yet to be shown. The fourth group of characters was shown when the Cuccoo was revealed. This group is found in the city and contains (at least) Frillard and Labelle. Like the last group of characters, this group is likely incomplete due to the small amount of characters and the limited view the picture offers.

However, looking at the recent picture of Isabelle, it would seem that there is, in fact, a third group for the city. Each of the previous city groups had one character (Crazy Redd or Frillard) standing right next to the bust stop post. In the picture of Isabelle, there is no one there. What's worth noting is that this is the first time we've seen the stage at night, meaning that it's very likely that there will be time-exclusive groups. Seeing as how the city apparently has one, it's very likely the town also has it's own group of characters that only appear at night, and it's quite possible that both the city and the town have more than one group for that time.

The conclusion that I think can be reached from this information is that there is still room for Tom Nook to appear as a background character on the Animal Crossing stage. We've seen two groups of characters that seem to be incomplete at this point, and the strong possibility of further groups that only appear at specific times that we haven't seen yet. Based off of that, and considering that there are still plenty of important Animal Crossing characters we haven't seen yet, it seems very possible that Tom Nook could once again appear as a background character, and that we simply have not seen enough of the stage to know of this. Of course, it's also possible that Tom Nook will appear as a playable character. However, the possibility of being a background character is still a strong one as well.

If you'd like to verify this information for yourself, you can find this pictures of the Animal Crossing stage I referenced here: http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages/city-folk.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
The thing is, Villager is a pretty all-encompassing Animal Crossing rep. He utilizes a pretty wide variety of AC gameplay elements. While I accept that Tom Nook has the merchant thing going on, I'm not sure that's enough to justify a second rep for a series that's already covering all the essentials with one character.
I'm pretty sure Mario covers all the essentials in his series. :troll:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
So, this whole Tom Nook discussion has made me a little interested in finding out just how likely Tom Nook as a character actually is. Seeing as how we now have an Isabelle Assist Trophy, it seems very unlikely at this point that Tom Nook could appear as an Assist Trophy himself. So that's one possible non-playable role almost ruled out. That leaves, I think, two possibilities. At this point, Tom Nook is most likely either playable, or a background character for the Wii U Animal Crossing stage. I decided to do a little research into what all we've seen out of the background of that stage, and I think I found some information that could prove interesting.

Looking through all the pictures that have shown off the Animal Crossing stage, it seems that there are four total groups of characters that can appear in the background: two groups for the town theme, and two for the city theme. Since very early on after the game was announced, we've known about two of these groups: one group is set in the town and has the characters Wendell, Sahara, and Pelly, the other being set in the city with the characters Crazy Redd, Dr. Shrunk, Gracie, and a Gyroid. In the vast majority of the pictures we've seen since, the characters in the background have either been out of the picture, or have been the same characters we've already seen the the first groups. Recently, however, two new groups of characters have been shown off. A new group of characters in the town could be seen in the picture where Rosalina was knocked unconcious; this group contains, as far as we know, the characters Sable and one of Tom Nook's nephews. Since this groups is smaller than the previous two, and considering that the picture of Rosalina offered only a limited view of the stage, it seems safe to assume that there are more characters in this group that have yet to be shown. The fourth group of characters was shown when the Cuccoo was revealed. This group is found in the city and contains (at least) Frillard and Labelle. Like the last group of characters, this group is likely incomplete due to the small amount of characters and the limited view the picture offers.

However, looking at the recent picture of Isabelle, it would seem that there is, in fact, a third group for the city. Each of the previous city groups had one character (Crazy Redd or Frillard) standing right next to the bust stop post. In the picture of Isabelle, there is no one there. What's worth noting is that this is the first time we've seen the stage at night, meaning that it's very likely that there will be time-exclusive groups. Seeing as how the city apparently has one, it's very likely the town also has it's own group of characters that only appear at night, and it's quite possible that both the city and the town have more than one group for that time.

The conclusion that I think can be reached from this information is that there is still room for Tom Nook to appear as a background character on the Animal Crossing stage. We've seen two groups of characters that seem to be incomplete at this point, and the strong possibility of further groups that only appear at specific times that we haven't seen yet. Based off of that, and considering that there are still plenty of important Animal Crossing characters we haven't seen yet, it seems very possible that Tom Nook could once again appear as a background character, and that we simply have not seen enough of the stage to know of this. Of course, it's also possible that Tom Nook will appear as a playable character. However, the possibility of being a background character is still a strong one as well.

If you'd like to verify this information for yourself, you can find this pictures of the Animal Crossing stage I referenced here: http://smashbros-miiverse.com/stages/city-folk.
Wait, but does KK Slider still do concerts?

He better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom