• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

An interesting discovery about High Gravity mode

DragonBlade

Smash Journeyman
Brawl's floatiness is a good thing...it creates the balance that melee lacked. I for one am glad they put it in, speedy character no longer dominate, and the heavy characters actually stand a chance.
Are you stupid? Without L canceling and this floatiness only characters with low lag aerials will be able to use them feasibly. If anything L canceling gave the characters with laggy aerials a chance to pull them off without being punished easily. Speedy characters will dominate even more now. Don't post again if you have no clue what you are talking about.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
But it would speed up the pace of the game. Fast u kills from fox have always been complaints about. It it likely chars will lose stock faster from edge guarding and this was the way to go in melee as well. Personally I like to see this develop.
I see what you're saying and it's valid. However, I still think that while utilizing this gravity thing makes side and down KOs easier and brings its relevance back to the game, it still detracts from one major method of killing. The whole point of the gravity was to make kills easier, and while it indeed has made one form easier, it has made another more difficult, so really you have not gained anything. Characters who only really excel at up kills will be limited with this new setting.

@ Kittah4

I can see that as a possibility. Maybe someone can try that and see how it works.

yshikllr

Smash Apprentice
A lot of guys acting real silly with that "lets make high gravity mode the standard" ****. Brawl is a different game. A fun looking game, too.

If you want Melee it will always be there you know.
A lot of people would like brawl to at least be able to be played competitively. There is nothing wrong with messing around with some of the settings to enhance competitive gameplay.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Like I said before, instead of immediately bashing it now, try it and see if it works. If it's bad for competative play we'll stop using it, but every suggestion that is arguable deserves a shot.

Drone 147

Smash Rookie
I'm sick of people saying Brawl can't be played competitively!

Of course it can! The better player will always come out on top! Adding in slower falls and taking out wavedashing in no way killed the ability to play Smash competitively.

The change is that people will now have to learn how to battle in the air better. For example, instead of edgeguarding by keeping them off the main platform you may need to meteor smash with, for instance, a footstool jump and then get back to the stage with the extra recovery ability given in brawl.

However, i'm not saying the high gravity isn't a bad idea, my concern though, is that it will become just like melee in regards to the lighter characters PWNING the heavy ones. Brawls new mechanics give those titans a better fighting chance and allows WAY more of the roster to be used COMPETITIVELY. By changing the new physics of standard Brawl we may be throwing outs the months and months of balancing Sakurai and his team has done. Hopefully, from the change in physics, we'll see more then 1/6 of the roster used in tournaments.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, there is a low gravity and high gravity option. I believe its 2nd to last on the special options screen. Look for the weight icon.

I pointed this out specifically because I thought it made the game feel better. I obviously haven't had time to test it extensively, or even with another person yet.

One thing I should mention, is that most aerials have less landing lag than in melee. A lot of "broken" things in melee have been adressed on a more specific level in Brawl. (Shine is different, marth's sword is now shorter, Sheik is weaker)

I think we should at least just give it a chance and see which option makes the game more fun and more balanced.

Also, Falcon vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8OCFl6EILs

Adi

Smash Lord
Losnar said:
This is a stupid idea. They made the game floaty for a reason.
As they were thinking when they made the High-Grav mode, what is your point.

Edit: Wow, just watched the Falcon vid... looks eerily similar to Melee, however I fear that characters with heavy aerial lag will suffer greatly in this mode without L-cancel.

SilintNinjya

Smash Apprentice
im not sure how i feel about this...

i dont really mind the extra floatiness to it...

but at the same time, falcos SHL could be effective again...

=\

hunger!

Smash Champion
Hey the game actually looks good with the gravity up.
chexr said it all, i couldnt stand watching 4 stock matches that were 6+ minutes but with this high gravity thing, it is really making the game look way better than the default setting

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman
I think this mode deserves serious consideration. I'm not saying this should be the standard, I'm just saying it shouldn't be written off as quickly as some of you are doing. The small amount of hitstun makes combos much less prevalent with the floaty mechanics. This mode seems to be better suited for combos, something that made Melee an enjoyable experience.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
People please, stop making brawl melee 2.0. PLEASE STOP.

(Puts flame shield)

It's like people won't be OK with this game until they make it melee 2.0. They are al crazy trying to find more glitches (or adv. techs... yeah rly) to make the game less floatier and all that. Is sicking me.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

(Puts flame shield)

It's like people won't be OK with this game until they make it melee 2.0. They are al crazy trying to find more glitches (or adv. techs... yeah rly) to make the game less floatier and all that. Is sicking me.
Don't tell us what to do.

Seriously, why do people have to be so vocal about their apathy.:laugh:

Dan-E

Smash Apprentice
it essentially speeds up the gameplay and makes edgeguarding feasible so that there are more options to kill people then simply hitting them with a strong attack.

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman

(Puts flame shield)

High gravity mode is a perfectly legitimate, and intentional, addition to brawl. It's not a glitch to make the game less floaty. Also, why does high gravity mode make this game Melee 2.0 instead of Brawl? It's simply another way to play Brawl.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
Brawl isn't Melee.

It's just as big a difference from Melee o Brawl than there is from Melee to 64. You guys would get used to it if you gave it a chance I bet.

A different game does not mean it won't be competitive.

hunger!

Smash Champion

(Puts flame shield)

most people liked melee because it was fast...slow gameplay ....just ew

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
See, this is what annoys me. Once everything is fine and dandy, competitive people (as I'll be nice and not use the other word) try and mess it up again. I was happy we were done with the Wavedashing and L-cenceling BS but here we go again with low gravity and trying to find new exploits. Can't any of you play the game. Maybe if you do, the characters would be balanced and people wouldn't call you tourney***s.

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman

(Puts flame shield)

You're a douche. They are trying to make the game more competitive to keep it alive for longer and make it worthwhile the play the ****ing thing in tournaments. So shut the **** up and stop being such a stupid piece of scrub ****ing bull****.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Smashchu. You don't have to play with us. You don't have to use Advance techs. A competative player is one that does what it takes to win, doing anything that's tournament legal. At this point we are trying to establish what that tournament legal is.

You have no right to tell us how to play, and we weren't messing with you in the first place.

If you kept comments like that to yourself people wouldn't call you casual elitists.

Egret

Smash Journeyman
See, this is what annoys me. Once everything is fine and dandy, competitive people (as I'll be nice and not use the other word) try and mess it up again. I was happy we were done with the Wavedashing and L-cenceling BS but here we go again with low gravity and trying to find new exploits. Can't any of you play the game. Maybe if you do, the characters would be balanced and people wouldn't call you tourney***s.
Clearly you will suffer greatly when some other people use a different gravity setting when they play brawl.

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman
Nobody is forcing you to play at more than a casual level. What's the big deal, and why did you bother to make a post in this thread if the prospect of playing with high gravity settings is not appealing to you?

NDUDE

Smash Ace
I like to play competitively, but I really hope this won't be the new standard. It looks just like Melee, and I was expecting to see competitive play of a new game...

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Last time I checked SWF is a competitive Brawl site, if you don't like competitive aspects, What are you doing here in the first place?

Demon_machinE

Smash Journeyman

Stupid Scrub ****.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^We'll simply try both, and in a year or so we will make a decision (by we, I mean the backroom because we don't want random new members affecting the outcome). To some it is quite an appealing idea, but if the other way is really better then it will become apparent. All the OP is asking is that you test this posibility, in the same sense that you would test a questionable stage.

VersatileBJN

Smash Ace
You guys swear up and down Brawl isn't competitive when 90% of you haven't touched the game. That's the laughable part. Scared to try a new game and believing everything you hear. A lot of competitive players are having fun with Brawl and think it's a great game.

Besides, without the techniques for Melee, it's just a bootleg version with different characters. This is why I say it's better not to play Brawl at all and stick to Melee.

Krell

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be total **** if high gravity mode was adopted by MLG as the accepted method. It's a different game, it's meant to be different, get used to it. Of course, nobody will get used to it, and this mode will probably become widely accepted.

the gatherer

Smash Rookie
i disagree the game should be played however you want it to be played, especially if other modes are included. Let tourney goers decide on what they feel brawl should play as. Personally i like how the up in gravity makes the play style faster.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
So High Gravity & No Smash Balls make the game like Melee?

Any trick to make Brawl more like SSB64? =P

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman
You guys swear up and down Brawl isn't competitive when 90% of you haven't touched the game. That's the laughable part. Scared to try a new game and believing everything you hear. A lot of competitive players are having fun with Brawl and think it's a great game.

Besides, without the techniques for Melee, it's just a bootleg version with different characters. This is why I say it's better not to play Brawl at all and stick to Melee.
So you've played Brawl then?

Top Bottom