• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibos. Yay or nay?

Zeko

Smash Rookie
I've been on the fence about these things lately and I'm curious to know as a community what you guys think. Are you picking up any tomorrow, if so which ones and why? What catches your interest or disinterest?

I really need Nintendo to just announce ness as an amiibo, but until then perhaps I'll pick up the Kirby amiibo cause I use him sometimes!

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
Amiibos are a gimmick excuse to sell Smash Bros figurines and I'm totally okay with that so yay for me.

Dark Dude

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DudeSean
It is very low on my priority list of things to get. Even when I do get one, I'll probably just get Link and that's it.

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
Yay. My little sister has been bugging me to preorder Peach and Rosalina amiibos. Anything that makes her happy makes me happy.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
You know, when I first saw Skylanders, I hated it and knew it was a blatant cash-grab. As hypocritical as it is though, when you replace the generic Skylanders with Nintendo characters you can just take all my money. At least these are optional though.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Unless Ganondorf's Amiibo gives me a Hyrule Warriors alt costume not interested.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
May.

be.

I might get one eventually, but it's nothing to rush out and scream about.

Spirst

Not in a hurry to get one but when there's a Duck Hunt and Greninja one I see, I'll get it. Not interested in anyone else and even the ones I'd get is a stretch.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Idk why, but I want to collect all the Smash 4 Amiibos for some reason. I'll probably raise some, the rest might just be sitting around for collection.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Amiibos apparently are Smart CPUs for smash so they learn off of peoples playstyle. Essentially a M2K amiibo is god.

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
Since I wont get Smash Wii U till christmas time, I'm getting the Amiibos of my mains. I may even get a Link because I've been interested in picking him back up. Since they are Smart AI, and can truly pick up playstyles of players, they will be interesting to train and play against. It could make for good training when your training partner is unavailable (especially if they got an Amiibo and trained it, then let you borrow it and you basically Amiibo swap to get some training in, etc.) When we get a full idea of how Amiibos work, I can see used Amiibos being sold by higher level players, because from what I've seen the Amiibos do a pretty good job of learning and adapting, and thus playing against someone skilled like that constantly without having to get humilated in a tourney would be possible, through buying their Amiibos.

Atm, I'm pretty excited for them. Especially since they wont be relegated to Wii U only, so I can use them with both my versions. It sounds like a pretty nice deal.

Joulevard

Smash Rookie
I'd be very interested to hear your opinions on using it.
I wanted to get a Marth amiibo since I particularly liked his trophy pose and he's one of my favourite characters in Melee/Brawl/Project M. However, I became a little hesitant after seeing this:

Random4811

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Random4811
3DS FC
3093-7532-1720
I wanted to get a Marth amiibo since I particularly liked his trophy pose and he's one of my favourite characters in Melee/Brawl/Project M. However, I became a little hesitant after seeing this:

I'll still gladly pick one up, even if he looks... strange. Its not the best, and his sword is funny looking. When I go for one, I'll try to make sure I get the best looking one in stock.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
I'll take a Kirby one and maybe some others. The drop in quality isn't a real problem. Lot of people planned to custom their amiibo. It's easier for some of the characters like Kirby, Toon link and Pokemon.

You could repaint them or add some accessories. Or just change the figurine by an other one, created from zero or bought.

Concerning their learning skill... I think I expect too much but we will see that in several days.

PKNinja95

Smash Ace
NNID
AKninja95
3DS FC
3351-4567-0361
IMO they're meh.

Nothing more than collectibles.

I'll just get a Ness and Lucina(as long as she doesn't look fugly like the Marth amiibo) figure

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm kinda hooked on the idea (or will be next week). A lot of the characters I would want came out looking very nice as figurines, and I love customising my own fighters. So the idea of customising a partner with a mind of it's own is very appealing to me. Especially since I won't often be able to play 8 Player Smash with an actual group of 8 people. Using Amiibos to fill out the extra four slots will be very cool, especially if everyone has their own one.

I'm also pretty confident in their potential as fighters, because I'm already hearing stories of Amiibos outclassing the players who train them.

Last edited:

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I was skeptical of these at first, and thought maybe I'd get one at most. Then I preordered four of them. So, yeah.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I'm kinda hooked on the idea (or will be next week). A lot of the characters I would want came out looking very nice as figurines, and I love customising my own fighters. So the idea of customising a partner with a mind of it's own is very appealing to me. Especially since I won't often be able to play 8 Player Smash with an actual group of 8 people. Using Amiibos to fill out the extra four slots will be very cool, especially if everyone has their own one.

I'm also pretty confident in their potential as fighters, because I'm already hearing stories of Amiibos outclassing the players who train them.
Rosalina is coming in wave three so you have that to look forward to!

Well, when you do, I'm very interested to see what you have to say.
Okay. I might be getting another one today too as well.

ArchMageDiablo

Smash Cadet
I'm waiting to get a Ness amiibo to put on my desk
lol, this, someone actually commented that I don't have anything decorating my cube at work, well now I'll have an amiibo army!

As far as their functionality goes I'm still on the fence, I raised my link to lvl 20 yesterday, but I was doing it in single stock battles to unlock characters so now he thinks all he needs to is run away and ill just die.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
lol, this, someone actually commented that I don't have anything decorating my cube at work, well now I'll have an amiibo army!

As far as their functionality goes I'm still on the fence, I raised my link to lvl 20 yesterday, but I was doing it in single stock battles to unlock characters so now he thinks all he needs to is run away and ill just die.
That's because Amiibo only learn what you actually teach them. Like, if you never play with Items on with your Amiibo, it'll never properly learn how to use items.

Exatron

Smash Rookie
That's because Amiibo only learn what you actually teach them. Like, if you never play with Items on with your Amiibo, it'll never properly learn how to use items.
Do we have any details on this yet? Mainly, I've been wondering about what it is they actually learn from us. Do they only learn very general strategies (e.g., aggressively attacking vs. lots of shielding and dodging)? Do they mimic our patterns of balancing regular attacks, smashes, and specials? Do they learn to use particular attacks (e.g., when to use things like counter moves and meteor smashes)?

For that matter, do they learn to mimic us, or learn to counter us? Suppose I wanted to train a Marth to be a defensive fighter, abusing CPU reflexes with counters. Could I do that by using Marth and going out of my way to use counter a lot? Would I be forced to only use characters with counters to ingrain that behavior into my Amiibo? Or is it a case that you have to use all the characters against your Amiibo, so it can learn to fight against all the characters?

I'm guessing there's no info on this, and it's all stuff we'll have to figure out as we go?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Do we have any details on this yet? Mainly, I've been wondering about what it is they actually learn from us. Do they only learn very general strategies (e.g., aggressively attacking vs. lots of shielding and dodging)? Do they mimic our patterns of balancing regular attacks, smashes, and specials? Do they learn to use particular attacks (e.g., when to use things like counter moves and meteor smashes)?

For that matter, do they learn to mimic us, or learn to counter us? Suppose I wanted to train a Marth to be a defensive fighter, abusing CPU reflexes with counters. Could I do that by using Marth and going out of my way to use counter a lot? Would I be forced to only use characters with counters to ingrain that behavior into my Amiibo? Or is it a case that you have to use all the characters against your Amiibo, so it can learn to fight against all the characters?

I'm guessing there's no info on this, and it's all stuff we'll have to figure out as we go?
I'm not sure how they work exactly, but I do know you do have to teach them the basics specifically, at the least.

IGN said in their review impressions that their Amiibo characters started outclassing them at around LV.20. So assume there is some sort of dynamic nature to them, they can't be static if they are able to outclass players.

ArchMageDiablo

Smash Cadet
From their initial description they made it sound like they copy you, like if you use alot of aerials they will, but as my link leveled up he started doing typical link combo stuff; pull the bomb fire the throw the boomerang, throw the bomb, charge the bow.

And i never used projectiles against him. Also as I mentioned he started jsut running away from me because he learned that given enough time, I'm just going to kill myself because I was trying to rush things along.

Ignoth

Smash Cadet
For what it's worth, I think they look much better in person than they do in picture.

Don't know if it's because of the lighting or that we tend to scrutinize pictures more or something, but the infamous Peach, Marth, and Link Amiibos all looked pretty cool when I actually saw them in front of me.

Last edited:

ArchMageDiablo

Smash Cadet
I would suggest rather than choosing an amiibo that is your main, choose a character that gives you the greatest challenge, or that counters your main, I think the coolest thing about amiibo's is they can potentially be tougher than lvl 9 cpu's, which are kind of child's play in sm4sh.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I got the Peach one with my game and it actually looks WAY better than it does online. The Marth one might be a lost cause, but in natural light the Peach one looks pretty good.

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
With my first batch I gotta say I think people have sort of blown the quality thing out of proportion. As expected, Link's bendy sword is in effect (and to a lesser extent, a bendy sheath as well). Personally, this really doesn't bother me. The figure still looks great and has really good detail. The only one out of the seven I got that is iffy quality-wise if I'm being picky would be Yoshi. For some reason the paintjob on that one just isn't as crisp as the others. Odd considering the impressive attention to detail on Samus and Fox for example (both of which look amazing).

Joulevard

Smash Rookie
Another thing I don't like about Amiibos is the price. I'd much prefer it if it was $5.99, but if it costs over $4 to manufacture one, then I can understand.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Well, it's a definite yay for me. I plan to get the Link Amiibo tomorrow and my sister wants a Luigi one. I'll also be waiting for that Rosalina, Mega Man, Ike and Lucina ones when they come out.

Agro_98

Smash Cadet
NNID
leafsfan98
Gonna wait for the :4falcon: amiibo for sure, but I might get a :4fox: one as well. Also the :4megaman: when it comes out. I do hope that amiibo functionality becomes a bit more useful in later games, the smash function is not bad, but costumes in mario kart 8 does not seem like much

Top Bottom