• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibos. Yay or nay?

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
Another thing I don't like about Amiibos is the price. I'd much prefer it if it was $5.99, but if it costs over $4 to manufacture one, then I can understand.
I'll agree with you on that for sure. I mean it's not bad if you want just one or two, but if you're collecting them at $13 a pop then that adds up REALLY quickly.

That being said I was just looking at the figures I have at the moment lined up and realized that if I just had Kirby I would have the original 8. Nintendo, why you gotta be such evil tempting b******s?

Coyote Gospel

Smash Rookie
The use of amiibos is not intuitive at all and doesn't add any major component, and most of the models look awful.

Why would anyone want to keep touching the gamepad with an object over and over again when that mode could just be freely available in the first place?

Joulevard

Smash Rookie
The use of amiibos is not intuitive at all and doesn't add any major component, and most of the models look awful.

Why would anyone want to keep touching the gamepad with an object over and over again when that mode could just be freely available in the first place?
Because Nintendo is trying to appeal to the Skylanders/Disney Infinity audience to increase profits.

Coyote Gospel

Smash Rookie
I'm not arguing its not about money. Its just outside of that the amiibos are completely impractical the way they're used in smash. i had a harddrive on this thing. Why am I saving to a happy meal toy?

Last edited:

Joulevard

Smash Rookie
I'm not arguing its not about money. Its just outside of that the amiibos are completely impractical the way they're used in smash. i had a harddrive on this thing. Why am I saving to a happy meal toy?
A $12 happy meal toy :p

I haven't fully leveled up my amiibo, so I (currently) don't see the usefulness of the amiibo either.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
My Mario is level 38 now. Haven't used my Kirby or Yoshi in-game yet, but my Mario is definitely learning.

Coyote Gospel

Smash Rookie
Maybe if they actually looked like the promotion shots I could understand the premium they're charging. Link and Samus look like their bases are melting because of the weird angle.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
My own personal opinion says to go for it. But of course what I'm buying amiibo for is to just have figures of my favorite characters. I already bought a Samus amiibo, and she's pretty detailed for the 13 dollars, If the figure was 16 bucks and still the same quality, I still would've bought it. Now if it was 20-30 dollars, I would hesitate, but potentially buy it. (Captain Falcon is the next on my radar of amiibo, then next up is Megaman, and potentially other characters thrown in there.) But honestly it comes down to if you want the figure itself, or the functionality in games, and if you don't want either... then I wouldn't recommend them. I'm in it for the figures myself.

Edit: This is (sadly) the best quality image I could get of Samus.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I wanted to get a Marth amiibo since I particularly liked his trophy pose and he's one of my favourite characters in Melee/Brawl/Project M. However, I became a little hesitant after seeing this:

You know, now that I got a Marth amiibo myself, I'm convinced that this picture was either edited, or was specifically taken to make it look bad on purpose.

It's hard to get a good picture on a phone, but it looks much, much better than that IRL.

Oh, and if anyone's worried about bent swords...

Don't be. The plastic is kinda soft, so it's very easy to bend back in place.

Last edited:

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I want Peach's amiibo, might go pick up that and either Link or Yoshi just so I have 2 : P the next few waves I plan on getting Zelda, MetaKnight, King Dedede, and Rosalina

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
Been playing with my Mario with my friends and we like having a CPU that doesn't suck. The amiibo actually wins a lot of our FFA's.

I don't see myself buying more though until Nintendo gives us a better idea of where they're going with Amiibo's. Unlocking costumes in Mariokart isn't really worth buying these things.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
You know, now that I got a Marth amiibo myself, I'm convinced that this picture was either edited, or was specifically taken to make it look bad on purpose.

It's hard to get a good picture on a phone, but it looks much, much better than that IRL.

Seeing this makes me want a Marth amiibo more and more.

I say Yay for amiibo. It's cheap Smash Bros merchandise that they're selling in the UK.
We never get cheap Smash Bros merchandise in the UK.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

While he's not the best of the bunch, he does actually look worth buying for Marth fans or collectors, from that photo.

HipsandChips

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5172-0569-0749
Playing with your amiibo is a mighty quick way to earn coins and custom moves/equipment.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
When I say you can custom that littles amiibos :

I just add an accessory which was under my sleeve. It's not really perfect. I planned to be more into painting / fimo later

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
The difference is that Amiibos are portable, so you can take one over to a friend's house and have two (or more) Amiibos owned by different people play each other. That's not possible if the data are stored locally. You also get a cool figure in addition to the in-game functionality. And it's completely optional, so I don't see the point in complaining about it.

Coyote Gospel

Smash Rookie
My point in complaining is why are we paying per individual character for content that is on the disc? That mode should not be behind a pay wall. Or, we should have to have a one time payment for the mode, not every character individually. If you're going to release figures, that's fine, but don't make a bait and switch where the production models look great and the final product doesn't in a lot of cases. Make those figures actually worth buying for 12.99.

Not knocking the people who have bought them (I got a Samus one just to try it out myself), but purchasing an amiibo just encourages these kind of price gouging business practices.

Last edited:

Coyote Gospel

Smash Rookie
And as far as portability they accomplish nothing an sd card or usb drive couldn't accomplish.

PreciseMotion

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PreciseMotion
Amiibos apparently are Smart CPUs for smash so they learn off of peoples playstyle. Essentially a M2K amiibo is god.
They're stupid because they get buffed up and do unrealistic amounts of damage is matches (even with custom off) Thus ruining the point.

PF9

Smash Lord
I'm planning on getting just the Pikachu one for now, and I will only fight alongside it in team battles, or watch it fight other CPUs while I eat snacks (like I would do with any sport).

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
They earn stuff from fights and when you go back to the amiibo tab and swipe them you get some custom moves, equipment, Mii Gear, and gold.
Oh wow, I had no idea! Thank you! :)

edit: I go to the amiibo tab and it shows the prizes my amiibo has won but I'm not sure exactly how I claim them? When I click start it just goes to my customization screen?

edit2: Nevermind I think I got it.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
They're stupid because they get buffed up and do unrealistic amounts of damage is matches (even with custom off) Thus ruining the point.
I don't feed my amiibo steroids so its not doing unrealistic amounts of damage

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I don't feed my amiibo steroids so its not doing unrealistic amounts of damage
Actually, people have been discovering that Amiibos gain inherent and permanent stat boosts even if you don't feed them.

Peach should not be doing that much damage with each attack.

This is not going to turn me off the Amiibos, but I think they should change this.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I was skeptical of the Amiibo and only got one. But after playing with it for awhile, my Amiibo Pikachu is definitely "learning" from me. For example, I often have trouble doing the Quick Attack 180 assault with Pikachu. But after I was able to land it on the Amiibo, it started doing it and is able to ACTUALLY LAND THE ATTACK WITH REGULARITY, UNLIKE ME.

It has now begun to kick my ass.

I tremble to think what would happen if we had an Amiibo exposed to top pro smashers.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Amiibos without equipment fed and customization off do extra damage at level 50
This is slightly disappointing for me... If we didn't want equipment on the amiibos then why would they make it so they automatically inherit them?

I see myself purhasing far less amiibo now.

D

Deleted member

Seems like Nintendo's take on day-one DLC apart from the disgusting intro package for the 3DS Mario Golf game.

Not planning on getting it anytime soon, and even if I will, it will have to be an amiibo that benefits me personally in multiple games.

platomaker

Smash Journeyman
Level 37 mario. Played only 1v1s, no items on flat stages. Up until level 30 I didn't even play mario against the little guy. So when faced with a level 9 computer- it fell short. Started playing mario against it- it got a little better and looks like its really trying, but STILL can't beat a level 9 mario. You NEED to do FFA with items to properly train them. At least it looks that way.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
Level 37 mario. Played only 1v1s, no items on flat stages. Up until level 30 I didn't even play mario against the little guy. So when faced with a level 9 computer- it fell short. Started playing mario against it- it got a little better and looks like its really trying, but STILL can't beat a level 9 mario. You NEED to do FFA with items to properly train them. At least it looks that way.
Well my level 50 Mario was trained only in 1v1 and it seems just fine, a bit better than a level 9 CPU (I've had it fight and defeat several), but also all of its attacks do extra damage for some reason and I never fed it any equipment or anything! :/

Last edited:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
My point in complaining is why are we paying per individual character for content that is on the disc? That mode should not be behind a pay wall. Or, we should have to have a one time payment for the mode, not every character individually. If you're going to release figures, that's fine, but don't make a bait and switch where the production models look great and the final product doesn't in a lot of cases. Make those figures actually worth buying for 12.99.

Not knocking the people who have bought them (I got a Samus one just to try it out myself), but purchasing an amiibo just encourages these kind of price gouging business practices.
Why does this game cost $60? It can be stored on my Wii U already, so I shouldn't have to pay the price for the disc. And the game is already made-- why is it behind a paywall?

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Personally I'm still unsure if I will buy one. It's really just a collectible. If you are into that then this is perfect. If you aren't then I wouldn't recommend buying one. It'll essentially be paying for a stronger CPU.

So for me, I am a little into collectibles so that might do it. But am also more curious than anything to use it in game.

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
I haven't bought any yet, but from a toy collector's perspective, I think they all look fantastic. I spent a good long time today at Target looking at them all. No idea which one(s) I'll get.

Top Bottom