• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Amiibo General Thread - Complete Smash Bros. Set Now Avaliable!

How do you feel about Amiibos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Hey Amazon.

Europe and Japan are regions with Amiibo enthusiasts too, ya know. >:^(3
Sure, but they don't let us import. Amazon would rather allow scalpers abroad to come to the US and jack up our prices.

That's right - not letting Americans import foreign amiibos isn't for protecting your stock - it's for inflating competition and prices.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sure, but they don't let us import. Amazon would rather allow scalpers abroad to come to the US and jack up our prices.

That's right - not letting Americans import foreign amiibos isn't for protecting your stock - it's for inflating competition and prices.
Isn't that the other way around? European Amazon stores typically allow Amiibo importing to the US without any issue. Meanwhile, Europeans can't import any product from the US Amazon without jumping through hoops that are often not worth it. Or from any US store that sells Amiibos, for that matter.

And the only reason inflated prices for Amiibos exist is because non-scalpers were foolish enough to start putting "rarity" and "Amiibo" in the same sentence, and scalpers took advantage of that. Any scalper would tell you that most Amiibos are not worth selling for over €20, but most non-scalpers don't understand the concept of rarity, and so scalpers took advantage of their ignorance.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Isn't that the other way around? European Amazon stores typically allow Amiibo importing to the US without any issue. Meanwhile, Europeans can't import any product from the US Amazon without jumping through hoops that are often not worth it. Or from any US store that sells Amiibos, for that matter.

And the only reason inflated prices for Amiibos exist is because non-scalpers were foolish enough to start putting "rarity" and "Amiibo" in the same sentence, and scalpers took advantage of that. Any scalper would tell you that most Amiibos are not worth selling for over €20, but most non-scalpers don't understand the concept of rarity, and so scalpers took advantage of their ignorance.
Our Palutena release was marred by at least one German-based seller going in and putting a European Palutena up for sale under the 'Palutena (Amazon Exclusive)' header, so in the meantime waiting for our exclusive to actually go on sale, there was confusion as to why the listing read "1 New at $59.99." When it finally disappeared, I can only imagine one (or more, no clue whether they kept replacing the listing every time it sold) poor ignorant parent or grandparent unknowingly bought an overpriced toy from overseas - and if the intended owner is a collector and not planning on opening the package, the European package could be even more of a problem. It's difficult to wave the flag of "Buyer beware" in this case because this was intentionally listed under the wrong heading, and it took a little bit of digging to find out where it was really coming from.

I've completely given up on relying on foreign sources for amiibos - it was more prevalent around Wave 3 and 4, but we couldn't order Ike, Pac Man, Greninja, Jigglypuff, etc. from anywhere. Maybe they lightened up for Wave 5 though because I've met several people in the US with Ganondorf, ZSS, etc.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I saw plenty of people importing Wave 3 and 4 from Europe just fine. And I don't really see what that one scalper selling an EU Palutena had to do with my initial statement.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:4drmario::4marth::4palutena::4villager::4wiifit::4darkpit::4ganondorf::4zss::4charizard::4bowserjr::4olimar: :4robinm::4lucina::4ness:<- These are all the amiibo I've imported. lol

Why would one want to ever import something from the US? LMAO

Tough to import from the US? Didn't ever realize that. If it helps, try looking through the seller locations on products. It helps save time looking for international sellers on Amazon US.

Hey Amazon.

Europe and Japan are regions with Amiibo enthusiasts too, ya know. >:^(3
Let's all share in your vast, and several months early, amiibo wealth. :p

That's not to say amiibo collecting is easy for anyone, but there are definitely a lot more success stories.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Picked up Charizard and Dark Pit from my local GAME today!

For once they seem to be very well stocked, there were many Dr. Marios, Olimars, Jigglypuffs and Ganondorfs.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
:4drmario::4marth::4palutena::4villager::4wiifit::4darkpit::4ganondorf::4zss::4charizard::4bowserjr::4olimar: :4robinm::4lucina::4ness:<- These are all the amiibo I've imported. lol

Why would one want to ever import something from the US? LMAO

Tough to import from the US? Didn't ever realize that. If it helps, try looking through the seller locations on products. It helps save time looking for international sellers on Amazon US.

Let's all share in your vast, and several months early, amiibo wealth. :p

That's not to say amiibo collecting is easy for anyone, but there are definitely a lot more success stories.
I actually didn't like how we got so many Amiibos early. We were getting them monthly for four or five months, and it was a pain financially, as it feels like constantly spending money on them and placing pre-orders and just overall stressing out over them.

I'm glad that's finally over though, so us European collectors can finally take it easy until September.

And yeah, Amazon US don't ship internationally, nor do any other US retailers that I am aware of. That's why we always got annoyed with Americans telling us we "have it better".

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
And yeah, Amazon US don't ship internationally, nor do any other US retailers that I am aware of. That's why we always got annoyed with Americans telling us we "have it better".
Likewise, we get annoyed with EU customers not understanding why it's harder for us and what drives us to import - but honestly, both assessments are fair. Amiibos have created a stressful situation for everyone, and I think it's a really good thing for us to stop and recognize that things really aren't that much better for either side.

The worst thing that ever happened to us was Nintendo putting out that graph reporting NA gets around 60% of all amiibos worldwide. The message received by everyone outside North America is that we have no right to complain, but that figure doesn't take into account the fact that our region is much, much larger in size and population than EU and JPN.

We also have to deal with exclusives. That often means lining up early in front of one store, getting your stuff, and booking it to the next store as fast as you can. Sometimes, it means being forced to choose between one exclusive and another, because their stores open at the same time and you can't be in both places at once. If we miss them, we have little choice in the end but to import. In fact, I think you guys getting amiibos ahead of us was a stopgap response to that behavior - there were a lot of EU customers complaining that the US was "poaching your stock," so you guys started getting them ahead of us.

Annoying as it may be from either side, it's important to remember that this is a stupid plastic toy we're talking about. It's on us to keep that in mind when talking to fans of other regions and not treat it like a competition. I've seen an awful lot of hate flung both ways in the past, as if one side's response to the situation is a slight against the other's entire nation. Things got really nasty around waves 2 and 3, but thankfully we've all been a lot better about it since. Let's keep it that way and keep cooperating.

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Likewise, we get annoyed with EU customers not understanding why it's harder for us and what drives us to import - but honestly, both assessments are fair. Amiibos have created a stressful situation for everyone, and I think it's a really good thing for us to stop and recognize that things really aren't that much better for either side.

The worst thing that ever happened to us was Nintendo putting out that graph reporting NA gets around 60% of all amiibos worldwide. The message received by everyone outside North America is that we have no right to complain, but that figure doesn't take into account the fact that our region is much, much larger in size and population than EU and JPN.

We also have to deal with exclusives. That often means lining up early in front of one store, getting your stuff, and booking it to the next store as fast as you can. Sometimes, it means being forced to choose between one exclusive and another, because their stores open at the same time and you can't be in both places at once. If we missed them, we had little choice in the end but to import. In fact, I think you guys getting amiibos ahead of us was a stopgap response to that behavior - there were a lot of EU customers complaining that the US was "poaching your stock," so you guys started getting them ahead of us.

Annoying as it may be from either side, it's important to remember that this is a stupid plastic toy we're talking about. It's on us to keep that in mind when talking to fans of other regions and not treat it like a competition. I've seen an awful lot of hate flung both ways in the past, as if one side's response to the situation is a slight against the other's entire nation. Things got really nasty around waves 2 and 3, but thankfully we've all been a lot better about it since. Let's keep it that way and keep cooperating.

You're right in terms of size, but in terms of population, actually EUROPE has bigger population than North America, North America has approx. 528.7 million whilst Europe has 742.5 million! Just wanted to put that out there, I agree with the rest of your post though! :)

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
You're right in terms of size, but in terms of area, actually EUROPE has bigger population than North America, North America has approx. 528.7 million whilst Europe has 742.5 million! Just wanted to put that out there, I agree with the rest of your post though! :)
Point taken! Thanks for the clarification.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Point taken! Thanks for the clarification.
No problem! :)

So I have a question for everyone, where do you buy most of your amiibo? (Shops and stuff I mean, or online)? I buy most of mine at GAME (it's basically the UK equivalent of Gamestop).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

No problem! :)

So I have a question for everyone, where do you buy most of your amiibo? (Shops and stuff I mean, or online)? I buy most of mine at GAME (it's basically the UK equivalent of Gamestop).
I only want to buy amiibos of my mains and secondaries, and unfortunately, most of my mains are rare amiibos, so I resort to buying them off eBay. I bought Marth and Robin off eBay, and Ness and Lucina from a friend. Sheik was the only amiibo that I bought at MSRP and I got her at GameStop.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

We also have to deal with exclusives. That often means lining up early in front of one store, getting your stuff, and booking it to the next store as fast as you can. Sometimes, it means being forced to choose between one exclusive and another, because their stores open at the same time and you can't be in both places at once. If we miss them, we have little choice in the end but to import. In fact, I think you guys getting amiibos ahead of us was a stopgap response to that behavior - there were a lot of EU customers complaining that the US was "poaching your stock," so you guys started getting them ahead of us.

Likewise, I hate all of the pictures coming from Germany and Austria with tons of well stocked stores, and then US users assuming all of Europe must be like that. At least half of our stock must be in those countries alone.

I ultimately think Europe has had it much worse. The US was always GUARANTEED to see SOME stock of every figure, however small, on release day of a figure. This hasn't been the case for many European countries. And as much as you guys hate exclusives, I would not have minded if characters like Rosalina and Ness were exclusive to a certain Irish retailer, as it would have guaranteed we got some stock on release day, since they would have paid for the rights to sell the figure, meaning they would HAVE to captilise on it. Rosalina's official release date was in January, and Ireland is only seeing their first shipments of her now. That's unacceptable, and way worse than anything that's happened in the US (and it's happened with multiple figures). She may have been a Target exclusive in the US, but that's a hell of a lot better than not getting her until almost half a year after her official release.

This isn't me making a competition, but seriously - I don't think you can argue that "not getting certain figures at all" isn't objectively worse than "maybe having a bit of trouble with some figures and maybe having to choose between exclusives the odd time". Not to mention you guys get tons of social media help from your retailers, with them clearly communicating when figures go up for pre-order. That doesn't happen in most European countries. I have to keep checking local stores individually if I want a pre-order.

And I do think it's a bit unfair that US users can import from us while we can't do the same, especially since the figures we get early always end up much better stocked in the US than anything we get. People throw the "global economy" excuse at me all of the time, but if it's only going one way, it's not a global economy.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Yeah, I had forgotten about the reports of certain figures never showing up... didn't you guys miss Little Mac the same way?

I know I personally have been blocked from importing Ike from any of the EU Amazon sites, so I had assumed this was true for all of Wave 3. Evidence does show those restrictions don't appear to be very tight these days, so something's changed along the way.

Our social media doesn't always help, especially when it leads us astray. People missed Lucario because many Toys R Uses broke street date by a week without telling anyone, people missed Ness because Gamestop couldn't get them online due to the server crashes (I was third in line and BARELY got him, after waiting more than an hour for the first two to get through). Of course, that's not as bad as you guys losing your Splatoon packs to a stolen lorry. The whole thing is such a huge mess... I can't wait until it's over.

---

So, topic change - I need some advice on training a Sheik amiibo. I decided to mess around with feeding her and got her to 50, but she's got two really bad habits. One is that when she's next to an opponent, 9 times out of 10 she jumps just over their head and goes for fair, and always misses (I think this is a symptom of me trying to teach her fair > fair). The other is she likes to toss out a grenade out of nowhere, and she'll hold it out a painfully long time just begging to be punished. She also rarely uses Bouncing Fish, despite me spamming it on her and even winning that way.

She's still very good - she beat all of my amiibos except Link (surprisingly, he's one I don't have much faith in) - but she's got a few holes I'd like to patch up before a tournament I'm taking her to in a couple weeks. Resetting is not an option because I've invested a lot of equipment into her. Thoughts?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My advice in training Amiibos is to just fight them to beat them, even at a low level. I hear people talking about trying to teach them specific things all of the time and it not working very well, but I simply fight them to beat them. Most of the time they turn out very solid this way.

The only time I recall going out of my way to teach an Amiibo something was teaching Rosalina how to control and use a detethered Luma. This basically amounted to be fighting her to beat her using mainly a wandering Luma, though.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
My advice in training Amiibos is to just fight them to beat them, even at a low level. I hear people talking about trying to teach them specific things all of the time and it not working very well, but I simply fight them to beat them. Most of the time they turn out very solid this way.

The only time I recall going out of my way to teach an Amiibo something was teaching Rosalina how to control and use a detethered Luma. This basically amounted to be fighting her to beat her using mainly a wandering Luma, though.
That about sums up my experience. I thought I had a modicum of success teaching Kirby combos, but the more I watch him the more I think he's doing it on accident. Like... he doesn't actually know dthrow > fair or dair > footstool are combos, but I've done that so much to him that it simply raises the likelihood that he'll use those moves in succession. Sheik is proving me wrong in that teaching her fair > fair has only shown her that I really like using fair, so that's the only approach she'll ever need.

The other thing though was I wasn't necessarily going out of my way to teach her this. It just happened as a result of that being a bread-and-butter combo I just do out of habit every time she leaves herself open. So, I guess the takeaway from this is beat them up, but even if the same strategy keeps working on them over and over, mix it up anyway. Resist the temptation to go for the same easy kill every time.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
That about sums up my experience. I thought I had a modicum of success teaching Kirby combos, but the more I watch him the more I think he's doing it on accident. Like... he doesn't actually know dthrow > fair or dair > footstool are combos, but I've done that so much to him that it simply raises the likelihood that he'll use those moves in succession. Sheik is proving me wrong in that teaching her fair > fair has only shown her that I really like using fair, so that's the only approach she'll ever need.

The other thing though was I wasn't necessarily going out of my way to teach her this. It just happened as a result of that being a bread-and-butter combo I just do out of habit every time she leaves herself open. So, I guess the takeaway from this is beat them up, but even if the same strategy keeps working on them over and over, mix it up anyway. Resist the temptation to go for the same easy kill every time.
Yes, that's also important.

One of my few Amiibos that turned out complete crap was Diddy. I trained him pre-Hoo-Hah nerf, and used a lot of Hoo-Hah's on him, since he naturally gave me the opportunity so many times. Even before the Hoo-Hah nerf and with him at level 50, he ended up crap, as he simply didn't really know how to play Diddy I guess. He just kinda fumbles around. All those Hoo-Hahs must have given him brain damage.

In general though, fighting to beat them without spamming a certain tactic too much seems to work best. They seem more designed to develop their own personality and counter strategies to what their opponents throw at them, rather than to directly copy what you do. You can teach them basic stuff, like making Rosalina detether her Luma more often, or encouraging Marth to space for the tipper, but other than that, they seem to want to do their own thing. Also, if I'm not mistaken, equipment effects their playstyle. If you give an Amiibo mostly Defense equipment, marking their custom build as a "Defender", then they will actually play more defensively to exploit that equipment.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Also, if I'm not mistaken, equipment effects their playstyle. If you give an Amiibo mostly Defense equipment, marking their custom build as a "Defender", then they will actually play more defensively to exploit that equipment.
I didn't know that, but I have noticed my high-speed Sheik running past me and landing a pivot grab/attack, much like I often see Sonics do.

Sometimes, I get the feeling the AI gets soft-updated with effective strats from For Glory. Over time, I start to see L9's or high level amiibos (which are basically L9's with benefits) do things I typically only see online opponents do - like teabagging, for instance. I can't see them programming that into their AI, but I swear they do it all the time.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
The Pokemon amiibo can do something interesting in a game other than Smash? Finally!
Sauce.
99 amiibos, huh? I only have 7 right now (8 soon with :4fox: on the way) but that's all I really need. The only amiibo I have left to get is :4falco: and that'll be it (unless :wolf: returns as a DLC fighter).

Last edited:

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
So I just got back from GAME, I picked up Olimar and Dr. Mario but have a really unfortunate story to tell. While I was in there, I was standing in line and my mum (she came with me to go shopping because she has a day off) said "Do you have that amiibo that that boy has?" because there was a boy in front of me who kept talking about how he's just picked up the rarest amiibo in the world. I said to my mum that I couldn't see it and she said "It's a boy with a red hat". I looked around discreetly to see if there were any more Ness amiibo in the store but there were none, obviously I couldn't have shown my anger in store but I'm so annoyed that I missed out on Ness! If I was there only five minutes earlier I would have gotten him!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
99 amiibos on the wall, 99 amiibos.
Take one down, scalp it around, 98 amiibos on the wall...

Spoice

Smash Journeyman
NNID
snoopertrooper
So, have nintendo sorted the whole low stock situation now or wut? Because I'm seeing tons of puffs, wave 5 is common as hell in my area, cf is in stock nearly every where, and so is the holy trinity.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
So, have nintendo sorted the whole low stock situation now or wut? Because I'm seeing tons of puffs, wave 5 is common as hell in my area, cf is in stock nearly every where, and so is the holy trinity.
Seems likely that I will be left wondering what to do with all this trade fodder I don't need. Stocks seem pretty decent lately.

KenboCalrissian

NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
We actually did get small Puff and Ness restocks shortly after release date, but Lucina and Robin are still hard to come by. Haven't heard anything about Greninja either.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What do you think of the paint job done on Palutena? Or to be specific, the paint job on the top part of her legging?

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I find her paint job pretty meh.

I find her Amiibo meh in general. And the face and left hand and wobbly left arm are just terrible.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
What do you think of the paint job done on Palutena? Or to be specific, the paint job on the top part of her legging?
I think it looks pretty good, the golden ornaments on her dress and necklace are a little off, but nothing too major. The top part of her legging looks pretty bad though.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Apparently someone got sent a Con-Air hairbrush instead of Palutena.

Whoever ordered that brush is gonna be so confused.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Apparently someone got sent a Con-Air hairbrush instead of Palutena.

Whoever ordered that brush is gonna be so confused.
They will try to brush their hair with Palutena's hair, thinking it's what's used to brush your hair.

Top Bottom