• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibo Discussion

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice
OK, I find the Amiibo VERY interesting, (oh, and Nintendo accidentally confirmed more of them being Ness, Charizard, and Ike, during the direct) they really put the original idea from smash 64 in place with them. Also, am I the only one who hopes that when you get all the Amiibo, the announcer will yell "BOY IS IT SWEET TO LINE THEM UP LIKE THIS!"

No?

Okay.

abrinx77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Abrinx
OK, I find the Amiibo VERY interesting, (oh, and Nintendo accidentally confirmed more of them being Ness, Charizard, and Ike, during the direct) they really put the original idea from smash 64 in place with them. Also, am I the only one who hopes that when you get all the Amiibo, the announcer will yell "BOY IS IT SWEET TO LINE THEM UP LIKE THIS!"

No?

Okay.
I find the concept of the Amiibo's quite interesting, and find it pretty hillarious that Nintendo once again leaked information concerning Smash Bros, by showing off Ike, Charizard, and Ness as new FP's. I just hope the third party characters get Amiibo's eventually, I need a Pac-Man Amiibo in my life, same with Mewtwo.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I'll defiantly get some Amiibos, but I have a question about them.
To get an Amiibo in you tap them on the Gamepad then take them off. If you take them off, then how will it save the Amiibo's level ups?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

I like the general idea of the Amiibo, I'm just wondering if the casual gamer will really understand the point of them...I feel like when Nintendo starts releasing more DLC, they could use the DLC as a way to sell Amiibo figures. For example: "Buy this Mewtoo Amiibo, and get his character in your game for free!" Obviously this is just an idea, but I bet it would sell.

Themandme

Smash Ace
NNID
shadowthehegehog
3DS FC
3222-5798-4330
I'll defiantly get some Amiibos, but I have a question about them.
To get an Amiibo in you tap them on the Gamepad then take them off. If you take them off, then how will it save the Amiibo's level ups?
The level ups are in the figure

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
It's like the smash equivalent of pokemon battles. You raise a little fighter all on your own and you can fight other player's amiibos. It sounds really good if you live in a community with other smashers. I guess that goes with a lot of smash WiiU things.

GameQ

Smash Cadet
I know but, to put an Amiibo in the game you half to tap it on the Gamepad then take it off. How will it get the new level up data if it's off the Gamepad?
Once loaded, the Amiibo will level up and save locally on the Wii U. When you decide to take the Amiibo to a friends house, you'll need to tag the Amiibo back on the gamepad to upload the data to it.

NOTE: I'm not sure if the Amiibo data on the Wii U will persist through power or application cycles. I'd assume so though.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure I really understand exactly WHAT the amiibos are really for.
Do you get to play AS your amiibo character, or does it just join you in battle? Is it basically just a cpu that plays at a higher cpu level the more you level it up? Is it only usable in certain modes?
Nintendo still hasn't really shown enough of this in my opinion to give me a reason to buy it. Do you basically just grind and level it up just for the bragging rights to say you got your amiibo to XX level?

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Do you get to play AS your amiibo character, or does it just join you in battle? Is it basically just a cpu that plays at a higher cpu level the more you level it up? Is it only usable in certain modes?
Nintendo still hasn't really shown enough of this in my opinion to give me a reason to buy it. Do you basically just grind and level it up just for the bragging rights to say you got your amiibo to XX level?
Basically it's a CPU, but you have to train it to level it up (it can level up to 50 I believe).

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
It's a cool idea for the competitive scene, I think. It's someone good to train against, since it can get to level 50, and can be played against on either the Wii U or 3DS version. Since it learns as it plays against you, it will start to counter your playstyle, forcing you to adapt. It's a very cool training tool that isn't stuck in your own game. So, you go to a tournament and want to get some last minute training in, just bring an amiibo. It's just a little bleh that there's only one character per unit. If someone were to want to buy ALL of them for training purposes, they'd be spending a pretty hefty amount. Like, north of $600.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Honestly, I'm purchasing the Amiibo more as a collectors item & boy do they look amazing. I mean, you can't really pass up on em they literally are real life Smash trophies! Don't get me wrong though, I still might level them up just in case.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
If their A.I. is as good as I'm hoping and they really do learn from those that train them it presents a great opportunity for high level players. For instance if I train an Amiibo it may not be as strong as if a Pro Player trained it. So if a Pro trains an Amiibo, he can sell it and allow other people to have very powerful Amiibo to play against.

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
I already have Samus pre-ordered! I'm a little angry that they decided. to use the stupid colored support poles instead of the clear ones. Because of the colored support poles, they end up looking less like trophies from the actual game. :( I'll definitely be getting the ones that don't have the poles

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I wasn't interested in Amiibos originally, because they would be useless to me. The main reason is that I am not a collector and I dislike having random stuff scattered around my place. Plus, any extra money I have I would rather spend in new games over spending them in plastic toys. Then I saw how the official bootleg Amiibos actually look like and now I am 100% sure I am not wasting money with them.

Themandme

Smash Ace
NNID
shadowthehegehog
3DS FC
3222-5798-4330

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
If their A.I. is as good as I'm hoping and they really do learn from those that train them it presents a great opportunity for high level players. For instance if I train an Amiibo it may not be as strong as if a Pro Player trained it. So if a Pro trains an Amiibo, he can sell it and allow other people to have very powerful Amiibo to play against.
Anyone who as ever hoped for a good ai in a videogame has typically been sorely disappointed. I honestly would not expect it to be much different than a standard cpu, aside from just a few simplistic differences. Even the most advanced ai in games today are completely predictable and make dumb decisions.

Squadaloo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RodRodney
I know but, to put an Amiibo in the game you half to tap it on the Gamepad then take it off. How will it get the new level up data if it's off the Gamepad?
From every video I've seen, it looks like you link it initially by tapping it on to the gamepad. You can then continue to play against/with it and level it up in the same mode (like say Smash mode) without having to sync. Once you leave the mode, it asks you to tap the Amiibo to the gamepad again to save the progress.

Also, it looks like the AI may be quite a bit smarter from what I've seen: I noticed it more agressively chased players in the air near the edge of the screen in the gamexplain video instead of just standing around waiting like the AI in 3DS does.

Last edited:

Kain6th

Smash Ace
Anyone who as ever hoped for a good ai in a videogame has typically been sorely disappointed. I honestly would not expect it to be much different than a standard cpu, aside from just a few simplistic differences. Even the most advanced ai in games today are completely predictable and make dumb decisions.
Well go ahead and train one, and see if they are really predictable.... if they are, well maybe that means you yourself are predictable..

modshroom128

Smash Cadet
NNID
katamari
the quality of the amiibos have went down severely.

http://i.imgur.com/CfcR8D2.jpg

this is such a colossal let down. i was hoping that for 15 dollars we would at least get figures of the same quality as disney infinity figurines. I mean these are practically mcdonalds toy quality. all we can do is hope the next wave's quality gets better.

its no surprise a figurine doesn't look as good as the prototype but this is just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace

this is such a colossal let down. i was hoping that for 15 dollars we would at least get figures of the same quality as disney infinity figurines. I mean these are practically mcdonalds toy quality. all we can do is hope the next wave's quality gets better.

its no surprise a figurine doesn't look as good as the prototype but this is just ridiculous.
Yeah, that is rather disappointing to be honest. Although their aesthetics aren't part of their functionality, it would have been nice to have something that at least resembles the Smash Bros. Trophies to an extent; the ugly poles don't do much justice, either.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Well, there goes my bank account. I'm already pretty keen on collecting figures to begin with, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to become mildly addicted to these things as soon as they're released hereabouts.

Last edited:

modshroom128

Smash Cadet
NNID
katamari
Yeah, that is rather disappointing to be honest. Although their aesthetics aren't part of their functionality, it would have been nice to have something that at least resembles the Smash Bros. Trophies to an extent; the ugly poles don't do much justice, either.
yeah. I was hoping they would at least be on par with disney infinity figures, if not better.
but in the end they turned out worse than skylanders, AND disney infinity.

nintendo and their bottom line attitude post wii is just terrible. these look like bootlegs/cake topper toys.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482

you just want to look at peachs under skirt

Morbi

Scavenger
I like the general idea of the Amiibo, I'm just wondering if the casual gamer will really understand the point of them...I feel like when Nintendo starts releasing more DLC, they could use the DLC as a way to sell Amiibo figures. For example: "Buy this Mewtoo Amiibo, and get his character in your game for free!" Obviously this is just an idea, but I bet it would sell.
I am not a casual gamer, I have been following the Amiibo news since before they were officially announced, and I still fail to understand the point of them.

:4jigglypuff:

Maester

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maester
3DS FC
4468-0971-1384
I'm very perplexed from where these images of "bootleg" amiibo's came from.

From scrolling through the comments some of you think those images are of official amiibo's and then others are saying they are official bootleg which comes across as an oxymoron... guess I'll wait till I can see them in person. From what I've been told from people who get invited to private Nintendo events in Canada and the US they look great but then again they could be prototypes.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

From scrolling through the comments some of you think those images are of official amiibo's and then others are saying they are official bootleg which comes across as an oxymoron... guess I'll wait till I can see them in person. From what I've been told from people who get invited to private Nintendo events in Canada and the US they look great but then again they could be prototypes.
I second this sentiment. Some quick Google-fu yielded no significant results, so I'm wondering what all the fuss about it is?

I am not a casual gamer, I have been following the Amiibo news since before they were officially announced, and I still fail to understand the point of them.

:4jigglypuff:
Don't tell me you don't want Jigglypuff sitting on your mantelpiece! That gracious spitcurl, those wondrous come-hither eyes~!

No but seriously, from what I understand, they're marketed at people who want to:

A. Be able to fight a self-educating, intelligent CPU opponent
B. Bring their favourite characters' customs with them
C. Partake in decent mirror matches
D. COLLECT 'EM ALL~!

JigsawDC

Smash Rookie
Wooo, the hype. Now for ultimatu turaningu.

Now the problem is which one to get.

This will keep me up at night, mayn. Something to complement my mains? I dunno.

Last edited:

JForseti

Smash Journeyman

So unfortunately those are the real deal. I was super excited about the Amiibo's and their quality too. I might still buy one simply for the functionality, but I used to want a few for the quality and as collector figurines.

Note the initial Link Amiibo:
Now Link Amiibo (what some call "bootleg" but is an incorrect term; note the yellow stick):
Why these new low-quality figures are the actual Amiibos (note the looking down and yellow stick):

Makes me very sad :(

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think I might just cancel my preorders

Edit: I cancelled my preorders

I may buy a few later, but I am massively disappointed with the drop in quality

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
I would like to have amiibo...if they would actually look nice instead of low quality like shown by some :(

I might just buy one of these...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'll still buy figures

I just won't buy the whole set

and the figures I want aren't the ones released yet

Themandme

Smash Ace
NNID
shadowthehegehog
3DS FC
3222-5798-4330
Frankly I think it's stupid that people aren't buying them because there low quality.
Your supposed to use these in a game you know they don't have to be crafted by a master sculpter

Top Bottom