• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amiibo Discussion

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Frankly I think it's stupid that people aren't buying them because there low quality.
Your supposed to use these in a game you know they don't have to be crafted by a master sculpter
Why have a figure at all then?

Shog

Smash Ace
Actually I don't care that much...it is just
I saw the high quality variants first you know?

Poxnixles

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vitiel
3DS FC
3823-8576-9592
Actually I don't care that much...it is just
I saw the high quality variants first you know?
Yeah, assuming these pics are real it's a matter of raising expectations like that.

still got a mario preordered though, may also get samus

Last edited:

NinjaWaddleDee

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NinjaWaddleDee
Frankly I think it's stupid that people aren't buying them because there low quality.
Your supposed to use these in a game you know they don't have to be crafted by a master sculpter
Because I'm an adult who:

A: Wants to justify these as super cool looking collector's items.
B. Wants to appreciate and look at them without regretting my purchase.
C. Wants to use them a little bit in Smash Bros. Because for me at least, I won't be using them as often in game, so they were primarily cool collector's items with the bonus functionality of actually being useful for something.

I've got my Samus pre-ordred still however. At least she still looks nice. I'll pick up others if they look nice enough in the store.

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
I don't know...they look great on the GAME.co.uk website, they still have a clear stick.

Still gonna buy them all, starting with Marth and Link.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't know...they look great on the GAME.co.uk website, they still have a clear stick.

Still gonna buy them all, starting with Marth and Link.
They look good on Amazon, but the designs they show aren't the REAL designs, they are the prototypes

Just pre-ordered a Link amiibo after seeing a demonstration of how they work.

The way they learn and adapt looks amazing.

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone forgets that Nintendo is primarily a company that sells things for children. What a mess they would have on their hands if they released flimsy figures that would snap in half the moment little johney touches it the wrong way, or if little billy was peeping up the princess's dress all day.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
New images were shown, and they are better than some of the crummy images we got the other day. Some of the same figures look better than other of the same figurines.
I don't get why they made Link have a yellow stick instead of a clear stick. Is a yellow plastic stick more durable or something?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
What does everyone think about amiibo side tournaments when they become widely available? Either 1v1 figure player fights or 2v2, meaning a player and their figure player vs. another player and their figure player.

Last edited:

Homsar3

Smash Apprentice
What does everyone think about amiibo side tournaments when they become widely available? Either 1v1 figure player fights or 2v2, meaning a player and their figure player vs. another player and their figure player.
It would make more sense for 1v1s, or 1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1, or anywhere in between. This way it's entirely up to your Amiibo. God, Capcom better make a Megaman Battle Network game using these. Best opportunity ever.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I think tournaments might not work, as we know them, but you could have max level Amiibo vs each other and people gamble/bet on the results. I think there could be some serious money to be made there. I wonder would come up with the odds for each amiibo though.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I think tournaments might not work, as we know them, but you could have max level Amiibo vs each other and people gamble/bet on the results. I think there could be some serious money to be made there. I wonder would come up with the odds for each amiibo though.
Hmm... a new kind of money match.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Hmm... a new kind of money match.
Actually you got me thinking. You could have an Amiibo match in game. I was talking more real life gambling but in game it could work like this:
- You put two or Amiibo in a free for all match and the game gives you odds for each Amiibo based on it's level (compared to the other Amiibo) and how it's customised. And you'd pay coins to bet on one of the Amiibo and if it wins you win the bet and earn more in game coins, in not then you lose the coins you bet with.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
the quality of the amiibos have went down severely.

http://i.imgur.com/CfcR8D2.jpg

this is such a colossal let down. i was hoping that for 15 dollars we would at least get figures of the same quality as disney infinity figurines. I mean these are practically mcdonalds toy quality. all we can do is hope the next wave's quality gets better.

its no surprise a figurine doesn't look as good as the prototype but this is just ridiculous.
Maybe I'd have to be a toy collector but this looks pretty much the same to me..

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Judging from those pictures, this is my final judgement...

The final Amiibos look alright. The only problem I have is with Link's. The yellow stick is a bit...unappealing, but I can live with it, and his head is tilted down too much. He kinda looks like a moody teenager. 'Tis all cool though. Also, they flubbin' bent Marth's Falchion...at least his face looks better in the final design.

Peach looks quite cute, tbh.

JigsawDC

Smash Rookie
Besides the giant yellow pole sticking out of everyone's butt, they actually don't look that bad. Link was looking a little pale in his prototype, anyway.

Too bad that bee-yoo-tiful Fox figure has to get the same yellow pole. I wanted to get him, but I suppose it could be passed off as a "artistic/stylistic" choice? :\

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Honestly, I'm purchasing the Amiibo more as a collectors item & boy do they look amazing. I mean, you can't really pass up on em they literally are real life Smash trophies! Don't get me wrong though, I still might level them up just in case.
This. I just want the figures to display more than anything, though I like the idea of doing team battles with them and having them bring me gifts.

On the quality- the only two things bugging me are the yellow poles on some (why not clear?) and Marth. None of my current mains have one yet, so I'll likely hold off for now and see how they are done, but I'm not turning them down if I get them for Christmas. Pikachu's looks decent enough, and that's the one I'd wager I'd get as a gift since most people in real life know I love Pokémon. Plus, it'd be nice to have one for my old school main.

The only one I'll get no matter how crummy the quality is female Robin, if we even get one of her. I'm guessing they'll likely just stick with male Robin, though.

EDIT: And I honestly find the Peach one adorable, even if the original prototype looked just a bit better. Fox's is also amazing.

Last edited:

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
If they would've kept a bit more quality and been less expensive I would've bought ones for The Original 8, as a sort of celebration of being into the Smash series since 64. But ehhhh. I'll just save my money aside for DLC for games or something.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
I feel like there's still a "core" amiibo game that Nintendo has yet to announced. I find it impossible that SSB is truly meant to be the amiibo killer app, how can it if the player can not actually control the amiibo characters? Sure, there's also MK8, HW, & Captain Toad supposedly using them as well but Nintendo needs a game that's all about them not just tacked-on usage.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Possibly an Amiibo RPG or something like Skylanders? Of course building into it through Smash and other means is actually pretty smart if that's the goal.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
If the ability to train a character was paid DLC instead of this, would anyone be interested at all? Probably not.

It's the fact that they're actual figures that's got everyone excited. And if you are interested in figures, you shouldn't settle for a mediocre-looking product just because it adds a minor feature to your game. (and to be used for a single character exclusively at that.)

Of course, if you're only interested in the in-game features, that's cool, but it shouldn't be hard to see why anyone wouldn't want to purchase a low-quality figurine. When you're paying for something, you'd expect it to be the best it can possibly be, otherwise it's not worth spending any money on.

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
If the ability to train a character was paid DLC instead of this, would anyone be interested at all? Probably not.

It's the fact that they're actual figures that's got everyone excited. And if you are interested in figures, you shouldn't settle for a mediocre-looking product just because it adds a minor feature to your game. (and to be used for a single character exclusively at that.)

Of course, if you're only interested in the in-game features, that's cool, but it shouldn't be hard to see why anyone wouldn't want to purchase a low-quality figurine. When you're paying for something, you'd expect it to be the best it can possibly be, otherwise it's not worth spending any money on.
But the thing is, some people think they look great, and I'm one of those people. That's the only problem I have with people right now. They start dictating what people should and shouldn't buy because they don't like the look of the figurines. I'm not saying you've said that, but...yeah. Just my two cents. :)

the8thark

Smash Lord
I would be. I'd pay $15 to be able to train them all. But $17.95 with a 2nd rate figure just to train up one character is pretty expensive if you do not care for the plastic figure.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
As a person who doesn't have that much money and no way to steadily get money, paying 15$ for eh looking figures can be bad for me. Even if they do add some content into the game, thats pretty big sum for a feature that isn't that big. I rather pay 2-7$ of DLC then buy these figures personally.

I will still buy them, and Pikachu looks decent. However, I'm worried about how Rosalina, Bowser Jr, Jigglypuff and shulk will look.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I plan to get mario since ge is my main. Maybe a spare since I have this wierd plan that I train it and give it to my future son or daughter so in a way, even if I die, he or she could still play with me. (Got this idea from other stories such as "ghost" in some racing games) Even though by that time the Wii U might be considered old by that time.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Even though Amiibos can seemingly have maxed values in every single stat, I kind of doubt maxing speed is going to be a good idea when seeing how poorly the AI handles it in Smash Run.

That aside, they look a lot more fun to fight then the standard AI, because they behave in a more natural fashion and don't have the near-flawless shielding/dodging ability they do. Seeing them dashing almost any time they're approaching was one of things I like most, since the normal AI almost never dashes, which makes fighting them a slower ordeal then an actual player would be.

Last edited:

dbwithlemon

Smash Apprentice
I would be. I'd pay $15 to be able to train them all. But $17.95 with a 2nd rate figure just to train up one character is pretty expensive if you do not care for the plastic figure.
This is a crazy concept, but other games do exist. Amiibo isn't exclusively for smash, you'll be able to use them in Mario Kart, and probably most new nintendo games going forward.

Your Amiibo can hold Smash data, and data for other games, so the value will only grow in time.
And that's not even to say if data will cross games, it's possible having a lvl 50 amiibo in smash will give benefits in other games you use that amiibo in. Nintendo hasn't gone into the functionality of other games yet, but it is there, and will just become more common in time.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So I am looking forward to Amiibo. However, the quality is very inconsistent.

I never expected them to be the same as the E3 prototypes. Anyone who follows figure production knows that if a figure is to be mass produced, the prototypes are ALWAYS higher quality than the original, once they realise the prototypes would take too much time and resources to make en masse.

But I DID expect better than what the Marth and Wii Fit Trainer ones look like.

However, some of them are actually still really good. Aside from the eyes, DK looks perfect. Pikachu and Yoshi look perfect (the latter may actually be my first Amiibo, I like how he looks that much). Mario looks decent. Not the best figurine of the portly plumber, but FAR from the worst and still looks cool, especially with the fire.

Also, apparently the different Amiibos have different weights. The DK one is noticeably heavier than the others, according to GameXplain, and you can generally feel a difference in weight across the board.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
While the quality of some of the Amiibos is disappointing- I will still get one or two of them so long as the ones I like aren't ugly.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
So here's an all Amiibo battle. Level 1 Yoshi VS Level 50 "Power Mario" VS Level 50 "Speed Peach".

the8thark

Smash Lord
If you want any of the Amiibo from popular series you had better get in fast as they will be limited and then they are sold, different ones will replace them.
The amiibo figure lineup for “Super Smash Bros.” will continue to be released even after this year-end sales season, and we hope that this will help to update store shelves. As store shelf space is limited, some amiibo will remain stocked on the shelves as staple choices while some will be limited-time offers which will cede their positions to new ones once they are sold out.
Source: Satoru Iwata here - http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030/04.html

UltimaXchief9

Smash Rookie
I'm not really seeing a lot of differences between lvl 50 amiibo and lvl 9 cpu. honestly it didn't look all that impressive, however i do plan on buying at least one to test the AI and see if it will adapt to my fighting style.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'm not really seeing a lot of differences between lvl 50 amiibo and lvl 9 cpu. honestly it didn't look all that impressive, however i do plan on buying at least one to test the AI and see if it will adapt to my fighting style.
Well, "adapt" is the key word here.

A Level 50 Amiibo isn't automatically really good at the game. I think the level just reflects their learning efficiency. However, a Level 50 Amiibo still won't do something you haven't taught it. For example, people attending those recent Amiibo events trained an Amiibo to Level 50 without ever using any items. Then, when it got to Level 50, they put it in matches with Items on. And the Amiibo didn't understand what to do with them, and simply ignored them, or stupidly stood beside them. It was only after the Amiibo was specifically taught to use items that it would start using them.

Overall, we'll be able to test it when it comes out. If I can make a Level 50 Rosalina efficiently control Luma, travel under the stage, or other such shenanigans, then I will consider them a well done addition, without question.

EDIT: GameXplain has a slideshow video of them:

Yeah, I definitely think Yoshi looks the best. Though Samus, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, DK, and Mario are pretty close behind. Link honestly isn't too bad either if you don't consider the pole and the sword. And Peach's face is off model, but she's fine otherwise.

Marth is just too much though.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I kind of hope your Amiibo only learns from you while you're fighting it, mostly because if it tries to copy your playstyle when you're using a completely different character, that potentially isn't going work out too well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, "adapt" is the key word here.

A Level 50 Amiibo isn't automatically really good at the game. I think the level just reflects their learning efficiency. However, a Level 50 Amiibo still won't do something you haven't taught it. For example, people attending those recent Amiibo events trained an Amiibo to Level 50 without ever using any items. Then, when it got to Level 50, they put it in matches with Items on. And the Amiibo didn't understand what to do with them, and simply ignored them, or stupidly stood beside them. It was only after the Amiibo was specifically taught to use items that it would start using them.

Overall, we'll be able to test it when it comes out. If I can make a Level 50 Rosalina efficiently control Luma, travel under the stage, or other such shenanigans, then I will consider them a well done addition, without question.

EDIT: GameXplain has a slideshow video of them:

Yeah, I definitely think Yoshi looks the best. Though Samus, Pikachu, Kirby, Fox, DK, and Mario are pretty close behind. Link honestly isn't too bad either if you don't consider the pole and the sword. And Peach's face is off model, but she's fine otherwise.

Marth is just too much though.
Peach is missing something REALLY important from the E3 version

Top Bottom