• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Disrespect for the game ties in directly with the players that play it. Respect is primarily defined as acknowledgment of priority and or rights. If someone prioritizes brawl over melee, and the majority disrespect brawl, then whether you mean to or not, the brawl player is going to have a deficit of respect. If I were to say I disrespect the concept of cheating, and then someone cheats, I can say I respect that person, because I know them and are friends with them, but the fact that he did it is disrespectful to honesty, and in turn this will have a negative affect on my opinions towards him. So, yes, brawl players are receiving an indirect mass of disrespect.

EDIT: Sid, that wikipedia page you posted showed the political definition of central canda, not the geographical. But yea, AB is still not central Canada. Sask., Manitoba, and the northwest territories can all be considered central Canada.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Disrespect for the game ties in directly with the players that play it.
Objection. I can loathe the idea of steel workers and still respect the steel workers in my area. It's not as black and white as you seem to think. For example: I don't respect Brawl because its a shit game. Dan is an amazing Brawler and I respect him. Do you understand how both of these can hold true in my eyes?
Respect is primarily defined as acknowledgment of priority and or rights. If someone prioritizes brawl over melee, and the majority disrespect brawl, then whether you mean to or not, the brawl player is going to have a deficit of respect.
This is not the case.

The only reason a Brawl player would feel like they have a "deficit of respect" is because of statements like "Brawl players aren't respected here". Take fashion trends for example. If everyone says brown is SOOOOO LAST SEASON the person with the 100% brown wardrobe isn't going to feel very welcome. It's not about whether or not you respect the colour brown, It's about what you say to make people welcome.

We have a type of social structure within smashers in Alberta. Kind of like something out of Mean Girls. Short of straight up saying to Dan's face and saying I think he's turd for touching Brawl, the only way I could make him feel unwelcome is if I propagate messages such as "Brawl players aren't respected here"

I were to say I disrespect the concept of cheating, and then someone cheats, I can say I respect that person, because I know them and are friends with them
This is word for word my steel workers example and is valid

but the fact that he did it is disrespectful to honesty, and in turn this will have a negative affect on my opinions towards him.
Your opinion, which is subject to change, which doesn't necessarily need to be public, and Which MUST be presented appropriately if Brawl players are to feel accepted.

I guess my point is to watch out more for what you say rather than what you think. That sort of thing gets you in trouble when it comes to racism, sexism, Brawlism.

Take this guy for example. He didn't have to come out in the open with his views and shove them down Dr. Phil's housewife demographic throat, but he did and it's not very appropriate. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

ps. Dan you're not a turd

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I don't know if you are agreeing with me or not, that whole post was a semi-oxymoron. At first you were disagreeing with me, and then the last part was exactly what I was trying to get at. Here let me re phrase: People who keep saying brawl is terrible are making brawlers feel unwelcome. There, that is what I was trying to get at. If I take your steel worker example and put it into a parallel universe of smashboards then we can assume everyone is out in the open with saying they hate steel working, agreed? I think so. Your post is all truth, but so is mine, so I don't get what the argument was :\.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I just happen to like most melee players more than brawl players because the people are generally cooler.

In my case, it's just that way.

Still like brawl players, but I'm going by commonality.

And Victor, there was a bunch of new guys and stuff.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
People who keep saying brawl is terrible are making brawlers feel unwelcome.
I think you misunderstood my post. My thesis was, you can hate brawl and still respect the players as long as you don't do things like this:

Do you play melee as well? Because I can tell you, that on this board you're not gonna get as much respect for being a brawl only player. Nature of the beast i suppose.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
That was intended to be a warning :p. I will stop here, even though I could argue a little further. I don't want to get into anything to messy.

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
We have a type of social structure within smashers in Alberta. Kind of like something out of Mean Girls. Short of straight up saying to Dan's face and saying I think he's turd for touching Brawl, the only way I could make him feel unwelcome is if I propagate messages such as "Brawl players aren't respected here"
Lol at mean girls analogy. And it's kinda true. In general we have achieved the integrated social structure at the end of the movie, and we will hit you with a bus if you try to be an elitist douche.

On a lighter semi-related note, if we have successfully disassociated brawlers with brawl, can I get away with saying "Brawl Sux" more?

Alphicans

Smash Hero
"if we have successfully disassociated brawlers and brawl," do you mean with brawl? Plus I don't think we really did that, because thats impossible -_-. Thats like saying we disassociated white with Carl. YES!!

lemonlau36

Smash Journeyman
Lol at mean girls analogy. And it's kinda true. In general we have achieved the integrated social structure at the end of the movie, and we will hit you with a bus if you try to be an elitist douche.
Little known fact: Mike is the traffic god. It would be wise to avoid being an elitist douche.

Mean Girls was fantastic, though the analogy isn't really working for me.

kithkin

Smash Champion
no it involved me.

p.s: thats why I, (if only me) hates your posts, it's ALWAYS about argueing, and usually involving me, even if I didn't do anything.

Don't bring up arguements or more will happen.

Ony

Smash Rookie
You'll find it in a stupid place. I lost my backpack in richards house, turns out it was on his couch. Which was also the same color of my backpack. I felt like a tard. And so will you. Soon enough.

Levi5

Smash Ace
Yeah don't worry about the wallet guys. Apparently when Joel, Alex, and Sho all say they looked under the couches it really means that they didn't look under the couches :p. Hope I didn't scare anyone too much.

P.S. GG's new guys in Calgary. You did a lot better than I expected, and I've played against a lot of people who come from the internet and haven't played anyone but their friends before.

Levi5

Smash Ace
You should change your friend code on your profile to your cell number. I'm so witty [noparse]:p[/noparse]

kithkin

Smash Champion
Carl was touched by brawl when he didn't want to be.

and I'm sad, I didn't really get to play you new guys much, But I guess I wasn't supposed to be there so it's alright, but hey, I saw you guys play some, and I actually saw some pretty nice stuff.

The only one of you I acually got to play was in teams and that was Ony(right?) and your Link is a pretty cool dude.

Rend

Smash Cadet
I'm sad, I didn't really get to play you new guys much, But I guess I wasn't supposed to be there so it's alright, but hey, I saw you guys play some, and I actually saw some pretty nice stuff.
lol... I played pretty horribly, like actually, probably the worst ever. But it still wuda been fun to play you. =D

kithkin

Smash Champion
It sucks to have a bad day, but at least it's against tough competition so it's not like you lose anything right?

Victor, are these sigs your doing? Cause they look like they are.

Top Bottom