• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Agnes Oblige for DLC and why you should want it!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's kinda like Robin, where most of his moves are true to the tactician class, while having Nosferatu as something to further diversify the character. You can slip in a few out-there moves, but only if it fits the character well.

Though I admit that I'm too lenient towards accurate portrayal.
What moves do you suggest that should be in her move-set?
We should at least make a move set together and see where that goes.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
It's been a few months since I last played BD, so my mind is a little fuzzy on it. But if you ask me, I think she works best as a mage-type character. I'd like to see how the Default feature would be incorporated, but I'm not sure how that would work.

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
But, like I said before, Tiz isn't part of the marketing campaign of Bravely Second. Even if he IS in it, the person in all the trailers is Agnes. She's a better representation of the two games.
It doesn't really matter about if the character doesn't show up in the second sequel, just like Shulk, he got in SSB4 then we got news of Xenoblade Chronicles X with a different main character, I actually think Tiz is a better rep honestly, but this is just my opinion.

Folt

Smash Ace
Well, just went ahead and made a Ringabel moveset. It's not finished by any means of the word, but it has most of the stuff down.

Ringabel

A0. Brave System
A1. Palette Swaps
B0. Moveset
>B01. Ground Attacks
>B02. Aerial Attacks
>B03. Throws
>B04. Specials
>B04a. Neutral Special
>B04b. Side Special
>B04c. Up Special
>B04d. Down Special
>B05. Final Smash
C0. Thoughts

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A0. Brave System:

Ringabel can execute up to three extensions after some of his attacks, each extension costing one Brave Point, unless specified otherwise. Ringabel may have up to three BP at any time. As Ringabel can do all three extensions, even with one BP, he may use up enough BP to go into the negatives. If he does, he enters a special stun effect that slowly regenerates BP every 2 seconds up until it reaches 0, where he thereafter can move freely again. If he is hit during this stun effect, he immediately recovers enough BP to go back to 0 BP.

A1. Palette Swaps/Alt Costumes:

Ringabel wields the Murakumo katana and the Blood Blade in each of his palettes/alts.

Default: Freelancer outfit
Palette 1: Mostly Yellow
Palette 2: Mostly Green
Palette 3: Mostly Red
Alt: His Dark Knight Armor
Alt Palette 1: Dark Blue with white accents
Alt Palette 2: Dark Green
Alt Palette 3: Blood Red with black accents

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B0. Moveset

B01. Ground Attacks

Jab: Standard three sword strikes, though Ringabel alternates between the Murakumo and the Blood Blade. You can do a multi-hit combo jab instead by holding the button.
Dash Attack: Slashes in a wide arc with the Murakumo. This can be extended three times by holding the attack button for three additional slashes, with Ringabel alternating between the Blood blade and the Murakumo. The attack has decent, but not killer knockback if not extended. If extended, it can kill at low percents.
F-Tilt: Swings the Murakumo and the Blood Blade. 2-hits. Fast and with decent knockback. It's not a kill move by any means though.
U-Tilt: Swings above him with the Murakumo. one hit only. Like the f-tilt, it's fast and has decent, but not powerful, knockback.
D-Tilt: sweeps the ground in front of him with his blades. 2 hits. This attack can be extended twice by tapping the attack button while still pressing down on the control stick: Ringabel will use the Drain Sword Magic from his Blood Blade and then immediately slash twice (this costs 2 BP), before slashing once more with the Murakumo. Used in this way, Ringabel will be healed 8% when using the first extension, and healing himself with a further 8% with the last extension so long as he damages the opponent, but this attack doesn't have high knockback, allowing the opponent a chance to retaliate if you Brave into the negatives with this attack.

F-Smash: Conjures a ball of darkness in front of him which can trap opponents before weakly sending them flying. Ringabel can extend this attack in the same manner as Link: He thrusts his sword through the ball of darkness, creating an explosion and launching the trapped opponent further, which can kill at low percentages, but also damages Ringabel.
U-Smash: Slices once above him in a wide arc for reasonable damage, which launches opponents weakly. Can be further extended into three additional slices by holding the attack button, Ringabel alternating between the Blood Blade and the Murakumo, the last hit packing a lot of knockback which can kill at low percents.
D-Smash: Ringabel stabs the Blood Blade and the Katana at the sides of him, creating a dark shockwave. It can't be extended like the other two, and it's his weakest smash attack, but the KO power is reasonable.

B02. Aerial Attacks

Nair: Spins around twice, arms with swords outstretched. The first hits on both sides can combo into a second hit on both sides. It's otherwise unremarkable.
Fair: Swings the Murakumo in an arc in front of him. Good range and reasonable strength.
Bair: Thrusts the Blood Blade behind him, creating an explosion of darkness. The explosion has good power and will kill at low percents, otherwise, it's somewhat, but not extraordinarily, weak.
Uair: Swings the Murakumo in an arc upwards. Good range and works for keeping opponents in the air.
Dair: Thrusts the Blood Blade downwards. This is a meteor smash when he initially thrusts. It's reasonably powerful, but at it's strongest if you hit with the meteor part of the move.

B03. Throws

Grab: Pretty standard as far as grabs go.
Grab Attack: Punches the opponent. About average in speed.
F-Throw: Thrusts the Blood Blade into the opponent, launching them.
B-Throw: Similiar to the above, but the thrust creates a mini-explosion of darkness that sends the opponent far. This is Ringabel's kill throw, and it can ko at reasonable percents.
U-Throw: Uppercuts the opponent. Ringabel's set-up throw.
D-Throw: Plants the Blood Blade into the opponent while they're lying on the ground, launching them.

B04. Specials

B04a. Neutral B: Dark Bane: Ringabel takes a stance with Murakumo in reverse grip, then brings it in an arc upwards, conjuring a sword beam of darkness in front of him that have good horizontal range and which explodes upon impact. The attack can be charged up for a bigger sword beam and explosion and can kill at extremely low percentages when fully charged, or at low percents when uncharged. The more you charge this attack, the more damage Ringabel suffers to himself. This move has two extensions that activates if you're holding the special button while an opponent who's not shielding has been hit by an eplosion: The first extension (which costs two BP) has Ringabel activate the Drain Magic in his Blood Blade while simultaneously conjuring forth an explosion that knocks the opponent towards Ringabel. The second extension then has Ringabel perform a series of slashes with his swords before eventually knocking the opponent away with a powerful slash. Ringabel's % will be restored to what it was prior to using Dark Bane if he hits with the last extension. High start-up lag.
>Custom 1: Black Bane: This custom variant has a much larger sword beam and explosion, giving better horizontal range and much better vertical range, and can potentially hit for more damage and knockback than the default special... if Ringabel is close enough to the opponent, otherwise, the move decreases in power as the projectile travels. This custom variant damages Ringabel even more than the default special does at comparable charge times. It also has the same extensions as the default special, though the HP Ringabel heals upon hitting with the last extension is not enough to fully compensate the initial percent damage to himself.
>Custom 2: Minus Strike: Ringabel goes through the motions of performing Dark Bane... but instead of conjuring dark explosions, Murakumo is coated with darkness instead. This move's damage and knockback depends on how much damage Ringabel currently has, having immense power and knockback if his percents are high, but does piddly damage and won't even cause a flinch if Ringabel is at 0%. This custom variant has three extensions, which make him perform this move three more times. In comparison to the above, the range is poor and the start-up lag and endlag are slightly higher than usual.

B04b. Side B: Black Magic: Ringabel casts Fire, a medium-sized reasonably fast moving fireball. If this fireball hits an opponent, an explosion occurs that hits multiple times before launching the opponent. This attack has Brave Extensions activated by holding the special button while the explosion is out: The first extension casts Blizzara at the same point as the explosion (also a multi-hit move, but which has a larger radius and can catch more opponents), the second extension casts Thundaga (multi-hit move, but also covers a wide radius that can catch opponents more easily than Blizzara), and the last extension casts Dark (pulls opponents trapped in Thundaga towards the point of origin which is a grab hitbox, then a single-hit explosion of darkness sends them flying). If an opponent is in range of the first three extensions and shields during all of them, the shield is guaranteed to go out halfway through Thundaga. Kills at reasonable percentages.
>Custom 1: Status Black Magic: Ringabel casts a dark ball that doesn't damage the opponent, but puts him/her to sleep. The ball travels slower than the default special. This custom variant has extensions that activate through the same means as the default side special: The first extension casts Poison (puts a flower on the opponent affected by the sleep magic), the second casts Drain on them (multi-hit for up to 16% damage to the opponent and takes away up to 16% for Ringabel depending on if the opponent mashes out of it: Drain has a grab hitbox similiar to Nosferatu), and the last extension casts Dark as above, but without the pulling effect (of course, if an opponent was hit by Drain, it practically guarantees that he will be hit by Dark as well). Kills at higher percentages than the default.
>Custom 2: Dark: Ringabel casts Dark in front of him. Kills at slightly lower percentages than the default move, but the origin point is no longer a grab hitbox, instead hitting multiple times before the explosion. This custom variant has no extensions.

B04c. Up B: Teleport Stone: Ringabel uses a teleport stone, allowing him to teleport a certain distance. This move is similiar to Zelda's Up B. Ringabel enters helpless upon completion of the move.
>Custom 1: Far Teleport: Ringabel can teleport a longer distance than the default, but the move will not do damage. Ringabel enters helpless upon completion of the move.
>Custom 2: Meteor Stone: Ringabel's directions for teleporting is limited, and he won't teleport as far, but both the start and the end of this custom variant spikes the opponent. Ringabel enters helpless upon completion of the move.

B04d. Down B: Default: Initiates a defensive stance. If hit, he won't get hurt or knocked back, but time slows down for one second for the attacker while Ringabel gains a Brave Point and may immediately flick the control stick or press the shield button to put up a shield or perform an evasive maneuver. If Ringabel has his maximum of 3 Brave Points, any further uses of Default allows him to put up a shield or perform evasive maneuvers as usual, but won't give him any Brave Points.
>Custom 1: Default Counter: The timing is stricter than usual, but Ringabel can forego getting the Brave Point in favor of slashing the opponent with the Murakumo, which do damage and knockback equal to 1.25 times the countered move's power.
>Custom 2: Brave Default: The timing is much stricter than usual, and Ringabel will take the full brunt of the attack even if he times it right, but he automatically gains 3 BP.

B05. Final Smash: Bravely Second: Ringabel warps the space in front of him. If you don't hit anyone there's no effect, but if you do hit, Ringabel immediately activates Bravely Second leading to a cutscene Final Smash where Ringabel casts the Drain Sword Magic through his Blood Blade, followed up by five Dark Banes, then five more Dark Banes, and then finishes off with Dark Nebula. The opponent takes a lot of damage from this Final Smash and will be KOed at extremely low percentages.

C0. THOUGHTS

I looked a bit at the BD battle system, and since the main point of that is making strategic use of a built-in risk-reward mechanic, I decided to make Ringabel into an extension of that. To that end, he has to risk putting himself in harm's way in order to reap the rewards, and I hope I was able to show that through this moveset. I decided to base a good deal of this through the Dark Knight class since Dark Knights are natural risk-takers. I made him able to use Black Magic since Ringabel is also likely the first you'd make into a Black Mage, it captures certain aspects regarding the Bravely Default series that I otherwise can't show through the Dark Knight class, and certain abilities in the original game can also make a Dark Knight into a decent caster.

Maybe you guys will be able to take some ideas from this. Maybe you won't. But at least I had fun making it.

Folt

Smash Ace
Well, I think most people who played the game would like Ringabel or Edea more than Agnes and Tiz.

(And of course, BD's gameplay mechanics made it rather easy for me to think up a suitable moveset for Ringabel.)

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
I'm on the final chapter of the game....

Lets just say Agnes or Tiz are on the top of my list for potential Smash 5 characters. Its never too soon to campaign, right? :colorful:

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
I'd love to have to have a BD character in smash 4 especially if they become a magic user. Now I just have to come up with a moveset.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Diva of the Battlefield Praline a la Mode is the best boss I encountered in an RPG in years.
I know right? It's funny thinking how the Shieldbearers can't cross a bridge because her singing motivates the Swordbearers into defending it.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Wow, I'm surprised I'm not the only one who wants Agnes in a Smash Bros. games. She could use a variety of weapons and magic from different Jobs while in her Freelancer design and her final smash could be something like Shulk's Chain Attack: calling out Tiz, Ringabel and Edea, having them attack the fighters and then she delivers the final blow. Really, that would be neat.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I haven't really thought about a Final Smash yet for Agnes.
A chain attack-like FS would be cool, but I personally think there are better options now that I played through the game more, notably Bravely Second that @ F Folt mentioned.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I got a question for you guys, if Agnes is in Smash Bros., do you think it's likely that she'll have literal alt. costumes of Tiz, Ringabel, and Edea? All four are very similar in terms of body structure, it could be a Bowser Jr./Koopalings situation again.
Quite possibly the best way to represent Bravely Default.

MajorMajora

Smash Ace
I got a question for you guys, if Agnes is in Smash Bros., do you think it's likely that she'll have literal alt. costumes of Tiz, Ringabel, and Edea? All four are very similar in terms of body structure, it could be a Bowser Jr./Koopalings situation again.
Quite possibly the best way to represent Bravely Default.
Could be possible, but its different than the koopalings since they all had the same clown car. Then again, it might be more simple than I think since they might as well have the same model. Who knows.

And then you can also have Yu and Magnolia and the guy with long hair.

Just not Nikolai.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Who are Yu and Magnolia again?
I don't remember much of the names of characters in BD.
Are they from Bravely Second?
*I checked, and they are the main characters of BS. I dunno about that, but it's possible.

Last edited:
Yu and Magnolia are the new playable characters from Bravely Second

Also, Agnes might have a Robin-like moveset or a Shulk neutral B mechanic of the sorts. I don't know. I hope she gets in. I just wanna hear "That Person's Name is" in Smash

Action Kazimer

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1005-9002-5481
Back when I was going nuts thinking of characters that would be cool, Edea was one of the first to pop into my mind. Then I started thinking how cool it would be to have the character somehow be the four of them standing together, swapping around depending on the move you used. Kinda like how the Chorus Kids mighta worked or how the Pikmin run around together. BD was so much about the party anyway, it would be awesome to find a way to keep them as a unit.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Are there any significant Square Enix opponents that would give Agnes the most trouble for the Square Enix spot?

Folt

Smash Ace
Mostly the iconic job classes like Red Mge or Black Mage, or Dragon Quest heroes or the Slime (which is practically the DQ mascot).

Or maybe Gilgamesh, but he's kind of not so important compared to the rest.

Folt

Smash Ace
The competition she would have is pretty minimal if we go by the "relevance and having a future" criteria.
All the ones I've noted above except maybe the DQ heroes would qualify then.

I'd also add that the other BD protagonists would also compete with her for the spot if SE did decide to contribute one of their characters for Smash.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Late to the party, but I love this so much.

Some thoughts:
- Having a stage from Bravely Default would be beautiful in wonderful HD and be able to take advantage of the 3D in the handheld version. (edit: an the music. Put like... 50 songs on that stage. pls.)
- You could have all 4 characters be alts like the Koopalings with 2 costumes each. (but I agree, Agnes would make the most since as the default because of the use of her in advertising)
- Giving them a Brave/Default mechanic would be beyond cool, although very difficult to implement.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Currently at Chapter 5, boy it was big freaking plot twist when Alternis turned out to be Ringabel. O.O
And it seems I'm back at the first town again, do I have to redo everything again? ;_;

Folt

Smash Ace

Currently at Chapter 5, boy it was big freaking plot twist when Alternis turned out to be Ringabel. O.O
And it seems I'm back at the first town again, do I have to redo everything again? ;_;

Did you perhaps realize the true reason why I had Ringabel's moveset reflect the BD Dark Knight? :D

And no. The only things you're required to do from now on are the Crystal bosses. Everything else is optional (though some of the Jobmasters you fight gets you some background information on the world you're stuck in). You are now reaching the tedious part of the game which are Chapter 5 and 6. Though Chapter 6 at least has the quest for the final Job and once you get to Chapter 7, you will want to do every single one of the optional sidequests again, not least because you get to steal some really nice stuff. In Chapter 8 you eventually get to unlock the Eternian Gauntlet upon completion of all the Chapter 8 sidequests which is basically the game looking at your game-breaking strategies and making you require them to even survive against the gauntlet of bosses you'll face.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Since I last posted here, which was a while ago, I finished the game. Definitely worth the tedious parts BluePikmin. I agree that Agnes would be the series rep if in smash for the same reasons, but I hope they would have alternate costumes for the other three characters. They're all about the same size right?

When I played smash the other day with some friends I played some of the BD soundtrack. Needless to say it was great. Can't wait for the second game.

How much potential do you guys think this franchise has to grow? Have the developers said if this is a planned trilogy or anything of the sort? I know its already pretty popular

Folt

Smash Ace
It has the potential to become a better series than Final Fantasy... but that isn't really too much of a feat given the recent Final Fantasy games.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
In a Bravely Default interview I read, they said they would like to release a new game for the franchise every year.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/23/bravely-second-producer-aims-release-new-bravely-game-year/
“Personally, I’m aiming to release a game for the Bravely series at least once a year,” says Asano. “So, we’d like to release Bravely Second for sometime in 2014.” Bravely Second is currently in development for Nintendo 3DS.
It definitely has a bright future.

Last edited:

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
In a Bravely Default interview I read, they said they would like to release a new game for the franchise every year.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/23/bravely-second-producer-aims-release-new-bravely-game-year/

It definitely has a bright future.
Wow... That can be good and bad. I enjoyed reading the interview. They apparently wanted Agnes to be the most popular female character but Edea was...

I wonder what having save data from the original can do in the sequel. Funny how they have yet to figure it out at the time of that interview.

Also, hardly anyone bought the SP drinks. Interesting, although I didn't buy any and don't think many people would want or need to. I accidently used Bravely Second once in a random fight and wasn't sure what was happening. Other than that I don't think I ever really activated it.

Folt

Smash Ace
Wow... That can be good and bad. I enjoyed reading the interview. They apparently wanted Agnes to be the most popular female character but Edea was...
I am not surprised. Ringabel and Edea are the most popular of all the main protagonists in Bravely Default after all.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

Currently at Chapter 6 right now, oh my freaking goodness, why the hell am I still talking to Airy at this point, why is she so clueless that she is going to betray me soon? @-@
This probably explains why Airy doesn't return in Bravely Second.

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims

Currently at Chapter 6 right now, oh my freaking goodness, why the hell am I still talking to Airy at this point, why is she so clueless that she is going to betray me soon? @-@
This probably explains why Airy doesn't return in Bravely Second.
Looks like you're nearing the end of the adventure. I'm usually not a fan of the "navigational or guide" characters in games. Are you going for 100%?

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
I don't plan to since I personally think the game is dragging on too long for me personally. I'll finish it, but I won't do a potential new game plus mode that will come up after beating the game, and I still have several games to finish.
I am enjoying the plot twists right now. Can't wait to see where this goes.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Top Bottom