• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Techniques: Montage style: GLIDE TOSS!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Did Noir stop updating his thread? It seemed like a great project.

And in all honesty, you guys should include each other's discoveries on both lists. That way if either one stops updating, then we have the other one to fall back on.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Did Noir stop updating his thread? It seemed like a great project.

And in all honesty, you guys should include each other's discoveries on both lists. That way if either one stops updating, then we have the other one to fall back on.
Sorry, if Montage or Noir has other stuff to do. Calm down, we're working on it!

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
In melee it worked because of jump canceling. Pressing up registered as a jump. In Brawl it works without the jump canceling part and works for all the smashes. Thus the new name. You could do all the smashes by crouch-canceling your dash in melee. This no longer works, but just hitting the C-stick does-hence the new name.
It only works for Up Smashes though, correct? If I remember correctly, a forward tap on the C-stick just did my dash attack when dashing.

Anyway, I don't get the Hyphen name. What's a Hyphen have to do with cancelling a dash into an up smash?

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
Hyphen is a - which is a dash.(I guess they felt punny) You could Crouch during a dash to do any smash but it was a pain to do reliably. You could only press up on the stick to get an upsmash. So say your dashing and you press down on the Stick and up on the c-stick. You get an up smash. If you hit over you get an oversmash. Really tough timing and moving one finger up and one down is not a natural concept for your brain.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^Dude, that's not hard at all.

But you can't do that anymore anyway. You can't cancel your dash with a crouch, so no crouch->smash

kiherbs

Smash Apprentice
lol im sorry, but Smash canceling sounds apropriate.
good thread and thanks.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Hyphen is a - which is a dash.(I guess they felt punny) You could Crouch during a dash to do any smash but it was a pain to do reliably. You could only press up on the stick to get an upsmash. So say your dashing and you press down on the Stick and up on the c-stick. You get an up smash. If you hit over you get an oversmash. Really tough timing and moving one finger up and one down is not a natural concept for your brain.
I was referring to my play experience with Brawl. When I played, I swore that the c-stick would not let me do a forward or down smash from a dash, only an up smash. But I could be wrong. I was just verifying that "Hyphen Smashing" only works for Up Smashes.

I.T.P

Smash Ace
You should add Dash Shield Grabbing and Glide Tossing to your list.

Dash Shieldgrab - Pressing shield while dashing will cancel it into a sliding animation which you're still shielding in, a sort of Dashing Shield. if you press A in that time, you'll preform a standing grab.

Gliding Toss - if you throw an Item you're holding during a forward/back roll, it will cancel the roll into a weird and quick gliding animation, best show on peach's turnips. the forward version of it does not change your direction, and has a lot of forward movement on it.

dmbrandon

Smash Master

Dash Shieldgrab - Pressing shield while dashing will cancel it into a sliding animation which you're still shielding in, a sort of Dashing Shield. if you press A in that time, you'll preform a standing grab.

Gliding Toss - if you throw an Item you're holding during a forward/back roll, it will cancel the roll into a weird and quick gliding animation, best show on peach's turnips. the forward version of it does not change your direction, and has a lot of forward movement on it.
The dashing shield grab? Please read the first post.

I'll test that glide thing. As of now, it doesn't work for link. Maybe I'm doing it wrong?

eet

Smash Ace
I noticed a few interesting things when playing...

I only noticed it with ZSS but it may be possible with other characters with an extentable grab. When dashing in one direction, you can do a turn around grab, grabbing in the opposite direction, when you use z and press the direction you wish to grab. This could be useful if an opponent is shielding, run past the shield to the right of them, do a turn-around grab and throw to edgeguard, or KO.

Another interesting thing I noted was that you cant ledge hop(that is, even press down or back to fall off the edge) until your invisibility frames run out on the edge. This prevents you from using invincibility frames to attack a recovering opponent. No more easy shine spikes either :0

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice
Hyphen smashing? Jesus, at least try to make a name fit instead of giving the technique some crap "cool" name. Hyphen doesn't tell you anything and it sounds stupid if you know what a hyphen is.

dmbrandon

Smash Master

I noticed a few interesting things when playing...

I only noticed it with ZSS but it may be possible with other characters with an extentable grab. When dashing in one direction, you can do a turn around grab, grabbing in the opposite direction, when you use z and press the direction you wish to grab. This could be useful if an opponent is shielding, run past the shield to the right of them, do a turn-around grab and throw to edgeguard, or KO.

Another interesting thing I noted was that you cant ledge hop(that is, even press down or back to fall off the edge) until your invisibility frames run out on the edge. This prevents you from using invincibility frames to attack a recovering opponent. No more easy shine spikes either :0
This is going to DRASTICALLY change her game. Would you mind If I posted this on the front page, and credited you? I'll make sure your name is big too! I am really excited about this, and you should be **** proud of yourself!@

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I dont' understand that name. Why isn't it just dash smashing? That's what it is. I don't get the hyphen thing.
In terms of symbols, a hyphen and a dash are very similar.

hyphen "-"

Dash "–"

F@lc0-san

Smash Ace
We figured it out too, we don't steal, son.
Ok, my bad...

Still he had a thread about it for quite some time, its a shame people ignore him and go "WOOT TEH AWESOME" here..

Not your fault tho...

(Yes Kai was me, I cant log on downstairs on the computer, my roomies account)

Niko_K

Smash Master
This is going to DRASTICALLY change her game. Would you mind If I posted this on the front page, and credited you? I'll make sure your name is big too! I am really excited about this, and you should be **** proud of yourself!@
Go for it!

travis.luckiest

Smash Apprentice
you need to add a few things:
1: reverse jumping - running in one direction then quickly pressing back then using an aerial (used to do a quick bair in front of you or fair behind you)
i use that for ike a lot with his fair and try to hit the person below me ..punishes them for trying to roll past me

2: jump canceled upsmash out of shield - self explanatory ..just like in melee ..slam up on both control stick and c stick at the same time while your shield is up and you can quickly counter attack with an upsmash

i'll post more as i find them

bob-e

Smash Journeyman
Is there a video of missile canceling? Several people have swore that it's out.

SYC!

Smash Apprentice
@ DforD - Yeah. It works for the bombs.

@this thread - HOLY COW. Keep up the good work. Effin' subscribed. :laugh:

EDIT: And it should definitely be called "Hyphen."

Top Bottom