• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Techniques: Montage style: GLIDE TOSS!

D1

Banned via Administration
DMB ever managed to emulate the trip...I keep doing it randomly I know you can cancel the trip into a reverse smash/any smash/whateva basically.

Anyone able to trip on purpose? I hate how it randomly pops up for me. V_v

Starscream

Smash Ace
During ROBs Up B can Z be used in place of A to perform aerials?

And the shield pretty much acts as a dash cancel eh?

mkmelee

Smash Lord
Hahahaha... It's actually making me laugh seeing these amazing things coming up so fast... It's unbelievable.

Thanks dmbrandon for the hard work confirming, testing, and informing us about these.

paper_crane

Smash Cadet
Okay, so when you cancel the dash with by tapping shield, you return straight to the standing animation... So theoretically, you could dash forward -> tap shield -> dash backward -> tap shield -> dash forward to dashdance, and skip all the foxtrotting nonsense, right? Or does it take too long to change directions with the shield every time?

And when you tap L/R, do you have to push it all the way down so the button clicks, or can you just push it down a little bit, like light shielding in Melee?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
@PC: There is no analog shielding, it has to click down. The foxtrot is still more effective to dashdance.

@mkmelee: Thanks! but don't just give me the credit. Me, Space, Ninja Edd, and Chimpstyle have been doing it together.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I'm glad to see that all characters have some way to abuse IASA frames. Brawl will be a much more ground based game.

Blatherskite

Smash Apprentice
Can you check to see if tripping occurs when you just dash forward normally and then stop about 30 times?

Kruton

Smash Ace
I thought Gimpy said missile canceling was out? Hm, oh well, I take your word over his. Hmm, I may still play Samus if that's the case...

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought Gimpy said missile canceling was out? Hm, oh well, I take your word over his. Hmm, I may still play Samus if that's the case...
Gimpy confused Peach's utilt for her usmash, so please do not take Gimpy's words as 100% accurate. Not to mention that the E for All demo is like the antipode of what the retail game is.

Lunaris

Smash Ace
i havent brought this up again despite posting it awhile back, but if you're serious about an adv tech listing/research thread you should really include this:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=140388

it's important to note that one user on nicovideo commented that snake can do this as well. he didn't say how(i.e. with what smash, what moves you can do that have extended range, etc), though, and all the questions in that post have yet to be answered(to my knowledge).

as for a name for it, i gave several names at the end of the post i linked, but since it is useable on multiple characters(apparently), official names like REG(range extension glitch) or HEG(hitbox extension glitch(reg sounds like a name/shorthand word...)) might be better for it.

PanzerOceania

Smash Ace
some questions for people with the game

what is up with crawling? How do you do it? what is it good for? and WTF?

also

what kind of attack do you do if you attack from a crawling position? do you just stand up or do you do a unique attack? What about jumping from a crawling position? shielding from it? grabbing from it?

chimpxstyle

Smash Cadet
some questions for people with the game

what is up with crawling? How do you do it? what is it good for? and WTF?

also

what kind of attack do you do if you attack from a crawling position? do you just stand up or do you do a unique attack?
Holding down makes you crawl. When you crawl you do your down tilt move. It is good for dodging projectiles. Right now we haven't tried any other applications. Not everyone can crawl.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Almost any character can cancel a dash by hitting up on the c-stick and performing a smash attack. This is proven to come out as fast as Fox's Usmash in Melee while running. Note: It's called Hyphen because dashsmashing
Isn't this the same as in Melee, where you can cancel any run/dash by pressing up on the C-stick.

Does the C-Stick/Jump still act as a canceling mechanic? Can you jump out of shields?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
How is hyphen smashing different than dash canceling? It's already been determined by Noir that you can cancel the first few frames of the initial dash animation with any attack. It's kinda like pivoting made easier. How exactly is this different?

dmbrandon

Smash Master
How is hyphen smashing different than dash canceling? It's already been determined by Noir that you can cancel the first few frames of the initial dash animation with any attack. It's kinda like pivoting made easier. How exactly is this different?
Any part through a dash, you can do it, and it happens immediately.

Alpha: In melee, you had to dash cancel by holding down, now you can hit cstick up.

kirkq

Smash Ace
"""How is hyphen smashing different than dash canceling?"""

"""Alpha: In melee, you had to dash cancel by holding down, now you can hit cstick up."""

Two ways to do it in melee
Dash - Crouch - Up Smash
Dash - Jump Cancel - Upsmash

Is this just saying you can up smash out of a dash? If so it really isn't a cancel, and it doesn't really warrant any naming of a technique.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
"""How is hyphen smashing different than dash canceling?"""

"""Alpha: In melee, you had to dash cancel by holding down, now you can hit cstick up."""

Two ways to do it in melee
Dash - Crouch - Up Smash
Dash - Jump Cancel - Upsmash

Is this just saying you can up smash out of a dash? If so it really isn't a cancel, and it doesn't really warrant any naming of a technique.
I didn't name it montage dashing. I named it nuetral. It needs a name to be called out. Running Usmash sounds lame.

DI has a name. Chain grabbing has a name. Think about it. :D

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Seriously though, we need an advance tech compiliation. One that's managed by someone that visits the site often. That way we could put them all in one place.

JFox

Smash Hero
Alpha, I didn't see dm answer you, so I thought I would (while I subscribe) answer it for you. You can jump out of shield, and you can still Usmash out of shields too. (Which of course means you can jumpcancel usmash)

I'm not sure if when u press the c-stick, that you still jump.

BTW I know these things because I played the game at dmbrandon's house :) :)

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Um, I'm still confused. You could Up Smash immediately out of a dash at any point in the dash in Melee too. Just dash, then smash Up+A and bam, instant Up Smash out of a dash with no startup lag or skidding or anything. You didn't have to crouch first or do anything else fancy. Heck, a total n00b that only played the game a couple times used this with Pikachu to kill people since Pikachu's Up Smash was good.

The only difference I'm seeing here is that you are using the c-stick instead of Up+A to do the Up Smash out of a dash.

I hardly think that's worthy of a new name, its a classic technique used often in Melee.

Aminar

Smash Journeyman
In melee it worked because of jump canceling. Pressing up registered as a jump. In Brawl it works without the jump canceling part and works for all the smashes. Thus the new name. You could do all the smashes by crouch-canceling your dash in melee. This no longer works, but just hitting the C-stick does-hence the new name.

Finch

Smash Lord
Hyphersmashing is a terrible name, especially since you can do a lot more than just smash out of it. Please call it smash canceling, because as far as I can tell that is what it is.

Top Bottom