• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ADVANCED TECHNIQUE: AUTOLAND By Candy & Gonzo

tect

Smash Journeyman
didn't he update it on the 17th?
anyways, if something is sent to him by PM he'll add it.
my understanding is that he's doing it periodically

Ulevo

Smash Master
I am currently too tired to read through all these replies to check and see if this has been added. However, my friend just made a discovery with this as we were trying it. If you try to enter the platform while holding down, you can shield immediately by pressing R as you're entering the platform while continuing to hold down. We found this easier, but obviously, a different method with different uses. I can see this being a big technique on the specified stages.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
IT'S CALLED SCRAPING. THIS IS JUST SCRAPING BUT NOT FROM THE LEDGE. There was another name for this as well. I saw a vide of an Ike demonstrating it and a Link with their Dairs.

Still, I didn't know you could do this on platforms. Good to know.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
I am currently too tired to read through all these replies to check and see if this has been added. However, my friend just made a discovery with this as we were trying it. If you try to enter the platform while holding down, you can shield immediately by pressing R as you're entering the platform while continuing to hold down. We found this easier, but obviously, a different method with different uses. I can see this being a big technique on the specified stages.
Its mentioned in our video but we dont show it. It def is a good tactic though, u can basically combo upwards AUTOLAND and grab to continue the combo.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
IT'S CALLED SCRAPING. THIS IS JUST SCRAPING BUT NOT FROM THE LEDGE. There was another name for this as well. I saw a vide of an Ike demonstrating it and a Link with their Dairs.

Still, I didn't know you could do this on platforms. Good to know.

I think ur mistakened, scraping works only on the ledge and doesn't let u do smash attacks only aerials. This technique lets u smash or tilt any direction immediately after AUTOLANDing on the platform

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
This is actually a pretty nice find. I'll be looking to implement this into my game.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Oh... wow. I think lylat cruise just became my new favorite level. Unless this works on halberd, in which case that's my new favorite favorite level (I already liked halberd a lot). I can see the fair -> instant usmash combos already...

Someone should check to make sure this doesn't work on other levels besides what was mentioned in the video. Because there are more moving levels than what was mentioned (ie. rainbow cruise) that this would probably work on. I think anything that *might* be considered to be moving should be tested, so we can compile a more complete list of stages this works on, as I think it will prove to be a very useful tactic.

KiteDXX

Smash Apprentice
It only works on moving platforms, so Battlefield and Halberd are out of the picture; probably Yoshi's Island, too.

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
It only works on moving platforms, so Battlefield and Halberd are out of the picture; probably Yoshi's Island, too.
I'm not so certain about that, though. Lylat cruise looks like it's just a stable stage. But it is technically moving, as shown in the video. I think it's the same thing with the halberd, deflino plaza, rainbow cruise, and other similar stages. I know for a fact that the boat on rainbow cruise actually moves the whole time (it did in melee anyway, and I don't see why it would've changed), rather than the stage just scrolling after a certain point, so I wouldn't be surprised if this worked on those platforms. Halberd actually takes off from the stationary platform pretty early on, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was considered to be moving for most of the match. Delfino plaza is probably the same deal (when you're floating through the skies, obviously, not when you're stuck in an area). I can't think of any other stages this might work on atm, though.

COME ON PEOPLE! LET'S TRY AND FIND ALL THE STAGES THIS WORKS ON!

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Ok. Stages that have been tested and work:

Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Pirate Ship
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Cruise
Frigate Orpheon
Delfino Island (when the stage is rising or setting into the different levels)

I was right about halberd and rainbow cruise, but delfino surprised me. Apparently it's coded differently than the others.

Other stages this may work on that have yet to be tested:
Pokemon Stadium 1 (the windmill)
The Summit (when it slides downhill; is this even going to be legal for tourney play?)

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
This works on a lot more stages than you have listed but it's very situational for some.

Luigi's Mansion (vertically moving platforms on the sides)
Mushroomy Kingdom (underground vertically moving platforms)
Rumble Falls (any platform)
Pirate Ship (any platform)
Yoshi's Island (only while platform is in process of tilting)
Halberd (I've only found it to work during take-off while platform is going up)
Lylat Cruise (anytime the ship is tilting)
Spear Pillar (vertically moving platforms on top)
Port Town Aero Dive (large center platform only during transitions)
Distant Planet (leaves and platform below them but only while shaking from someone being on them)
Smashville (moving platform)
Summit (any platform)
Rainbow Cruise (any platform)
Pokemon Stadium (platforms during transitions and tree while moving from someone being on it)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (platforms during transitions)
New Pork City (swinging ship)
Delfino Plaza (only during transitions)
Onett (trees only while moving from someone being on them)
Corneria (flying ships)
Skyworld (platform on the lower right only when destroyed and chain is extending/retracting)
Pictochat (umm some platforms you can and some you can't for no reason I can figure out)
Big Blue (floating platforms)

I wasn't aware you could do it on Frigate Orpheon. I must have missed it. The technique works at all times on Summit, Rainbow Cruise, Pirate Ship, and Rumble Falls because they are moving stages. I haven't had a chance to test the windmill.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Pretty cool find bro.My only problem tho is that it seems that its really,really useful for those StarFox type characters,and not others like Mario and such.I think its mainly because they can jump up faster than most,thats where I see the combo potenial coming from,characters with fast *** jumps..Looks to me so far certain Adv techs just work better with other characters. :)

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
thnx guys for all the feedback =]
yea this opens up combo poterntial
works really well as a mindgame to
example: you could be on the platform, go under it, and as soon as you go under it, jump again and auto land on the platform with a shield
ive already had som1 do that on me and it works
well keep on trying different techniques with this...the more feedback the better =D

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i saw a video of a guy doing this with ike's dair before the american release. and i'm sure it's the same thing. sorry to discredit you. can't remember who posted the video before though.

good luck discovering other stuff though

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
i saw a video of a guy doing this with ike's dair before the american release. and i'm sure it's the same thing. sorry to discredit you. can't remember who posted the video before though.

good luck discovering other stuff though
The video ur talking about is similar but not the same technique, this technique works for every character, Ike's downair cancel is character specific. We've been all over every new technique out or possible AT suggested. I wouldnt call this an new AT if it wasn't one : )

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
where is ur signature Candy???

i was thinking, u know how u can autoland and then fall right through, do u think its possible to grab and give the go through command? i remember in melee in poke stadium anytime the normal stage cam back and u grabbed someone while they were on the edge of the platform u would stay on the bottom and ur opponent would b on top. ideas thoughts???

Ayato

Smash Apprentice
Could someone post a slowed down version of this? I've been able to reproduce these results, but extremely inconsistently. I realize it takes practice, but it'd be nice to know exactly where to connect this. I tried doing this at 1/4 speed to see, but I couldn't get it to go.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
Could someone post a slowed down version of this? I've been able to reproduce these results, but extremely inconsistently. I realize it takes practice, but it'd be nice to know exactly where to connect this. I tried doing this at 1/4 speed to see, but I couldn't get it to go.

I'll c what i can do today about getting a video up in 1/4 or in 1/2 speed. Hope it'll help i'll post it in the original thread message.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
howuseful is this. im diong it at smashville and idk. like to pull of attacks faster after landing? its dnagerous as toon as i may spike myself

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
howuseful is this. im diong it at smashville and idk. like to pull of attacks faster after landing? its dangerous as toon as i may spike myself

If u practice it enough its pretty easy, and u dont technically have to down smash, u can do any move, (tilt or smash) the combo and grab potential for this move is amazing, i was just practicing it with Zamus and Kirby, u can get hit after landing if u grab due to the shield and then u just grab.

Darkjad

Smash Cadet
A cool find that you didn't name after yourself! :D

Seriously though, cool find.

Annhialator Zero

Smash Apprentice
This is amazing, I can see Wolf and Marth abusing this with their great Smashes (I know Marth has good Aerials but being able to jump up and F-Smash an opponent is pretty awesome).

Also the Mindgame potential is ridiculous.

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
This is amazing, I can see Wolf and Marth abusing this with their great Smashes (I know Marth has good Aerials but being able to jump up and F-Smash an opponent is pretty awesome).

Also the Mindgame potential is ridiculous.

Now thats what i'm talkin about, if u do find some combos or recorded matches of u using this plz put them up here and i'll post them in the first thread post for everyone to c.

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
Wow, great find, but it is very conditional, and usually I'm playing on Final Destination anyway. Nevertheless, still a useful bit of information.

Top Bottom