• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
So I'm having a tourney at my house this weekend. More like an loln00b tournament, haha. All of my friends who play brawl, only one of which plays competitively like me. Basically, everyone else is going to suck. xD

If anyone is bored and in the area, you're welcome to join in. It's in CT, USA, and will be on Saturday at 1PM. We will also have melee and SSB64. =D AND THERE'S FOOD! So if you're up for some n00b **** and don't mind chilling with kids likely younger than you (average age is about 17) PM me for more information.

Oh, and of course there's no entrance fee for the tournament, since there's no prize. =P Well, other than dignity/pride, or whatever dignity/pride you could possibly get from uberly ****** teenagers in a video game who don't know a Fair from a DA.

I asked the ZSS and Kirby boards too, so there might just be some decent players there too. Possibly.

Just putting it out there. ^_^

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
Utah. Dumps buckets of snow:(
I lol'd

@Threesided
Sounds like fun, but you are a little ways away and I can't get a rise to a tourney w/o getting grounded anyways. -_-
Besides, I haven't been grounded for like 2 years and I don't want it to happen again. Not being able to go anywhere or do anything is not fun at all. -_-

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
I lol'd

@Threesided
Sounds like fun, but you are a little ways away and I can't get a rise to a tourney w/o getting grounded anyways. -_-
Besides, I haven't been grounded for like 2 years and I don't want it to happen again. Not being able to go anywhere or do anything is not fun at all. -_-
Haha, it's cool. I really don't really expect anyone from the boards to make it. I was just kinda bored and figured it would be worth a shot to see if we could get more actual competition for me and Carl to show up. =P

Dcold

Smash Lord
I noticed something. I need to get better with my speed with Sheik, i play too defensively most of the time. When the adrenaline is pumping inside of me, i can move faster and what-not.Tips on how to bring that out all of the time or to get faster?

saviorslegacy

Moving fast and all is good, but you need to be moving fast while spacing properly.
That is the tricky part.

IMO, just play Sonic CPU's.
They rush you a whole lot so you can get the idea of spacing well at high speeds.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Not sure what you mean by your speed. Sheik is fast naturally so as long as you do stuff you should be fast and there's not too much technical skill. =P Things that make me feel slow are a lack of fluidity and... that's about it. So maybe you need to work on getting more fluid? If so just keep playing and that will come. Something that makes me feel "fast" as sheik is simply never staying in place and avoiding laggy things that commit me to an action (I really just mean rolling. lol) so sheild dashing, dash dancing, and empty short hops all make me feel faster I guess.

That probably didn't help at all. lol Just explain what you mean, because playing less defensively in brawl is usally bad. =/

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I know what you mean Dcold.

Basically keep moving around like dashing in and out of attack range and constantly doing short hops be it empty or retreating fairs and such. This will make you exert more pressure, and also have you get accustomed to your own speed and set your pace. Also helps with being less predictable potentially.

As SL said, the trick so to maintain your spacing to stay out of their range when dancing and be right where the tip of your attack will hit when attacking, all of this while maintaining your high speed pace. Practice makes perfect.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
Hey a brand new sheik main! Someone say something cool so he becomes addicted to the boards.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I noticed something. I need to get better with my speed with Sheik, i play too defensively most of the time. When the adrenaline is pumping inside of me, i can move faster and what-not.Tips on how to bring that out all of the time or to get faster?
Lots of AC aerials. Platform cancelled aerials, AC your fair all the time, single jabs, no fsmash, only use nair to kill it stays out to long, limit your dsmashes as much as possible, throw in random DACUS', AC your uairs, fastfall a lot......simple stuff like that and you'lll be playing really fast.

Sheik is a smooth character. It's my main.
Yes she is. Welcome amazing decision by you to play the sexiest character in brawl.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Wrong thread? ;p

edit: Btw, everyone. I'm using Sheik some now. ;o
You may see me post more around here.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I feel like a double sheik team would get *****. lol Tbh I always assumed sheik did badly in teams, but watching dmt and Jtails the other day made me reconsider.

@DanGR: I guess that answers my question from Pierce's thread.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I heard about it. I heard that the nair at the end isn't guaranteed. I don't really care though, because I always just accepted that as one of sheik's few bad match ups. =/

saviorslegacy

I hate Peach because she hurts us Sheik soooo badly.

Basically this isn't legit when she needs to double jump.

iLight

Smash Lord
I love fighting peach, i feel like we can really run circles around her and control how she spaces using needles and forcing her to the air where we can easily get frame advantage or dacus from below

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i really like playing against peach as well

one of my fave matchups

as well as tlink, mk, and snake

-Mars-

Smash Hero
So you suck and your remedy is MM'ing Bum? Sounds like a big waste of money to me. MM him for like a quarter or something bwahahahahaahahahahahaha

Edit: I'm going to be in frisco next weekend for an OoS tournament:) we'll see how that goes.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
lol I did the MM challenge before today. Meh. Was playing Wes and JTails and lost a lot more than I should earlier so I feel like my Sheik really sucks

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
verus dk? hit me up. watch my versus dk vids. you can just literally wait for him to make every move.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I looked at the first vid of <3 vs Virg.... The DK was doing it wrong. =/ The match up is much harder than that vid displayed, but still not bad. I'm guessing Bum's DK is around the same level as Will's (but I'm guessing Will's is better at this match up now XD) so <3 vid won't help that much imo.

When I fight DK I don't feel like needles can't really camp him. Its like trying to camp marth or MK. =/ His bair is just gay when he spaces right. Being in the air is almost guaranteed **** (maybe dair can help lol). Everything related to upB is gay. Recovering is a *****, but its not that bad. Just fair him if he gets to close, because its faster than his ****. Side upsmash doesn't ever kill him..... ever.... regardless of percent... I feel like vanish is mad good in this match up, especially if you predict some stupid up B stuff. I want to try pivot grabing him out of the end of his up B, I think it would work well. If he's off stage get out there before he upB's or hit him with needles if he does and you can probably get the gimp. Spacing aerials on his seems stupid, I'd just stay grounded and punish with dash attacks or dash grabs.

All that. ^ Is less of me giving you advice and more of me telling myself how to not get ***** like I did last night. XD Seriously though, where I used to play brawl they would just make fun of me and call me a bad player which I didn't mind.... here they diss sheik instead. A Zelda main was telling me sheik is trash.... wtf?! That **** get on my nerves. >.< I have to get good with her and make them eat their **** words! /end DK ***** me rant

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
you can space aerails on DKs sheild all day ge can't do anything he is too slow. when ever he jumps you should be getting free nedles not a bair in the face. move away from him if he comes at you with his back or run in with a sheild because all he can do is bair before he lands or double jump again. Bum is prob better than virg but if you shut down options it doesn't matter how good he is.

-dMT-

Smash Lord
I looked at the first vid of <3 vs Virg.... The DK was doing it wrong. =/ The match up is much harder than that vid displayed, but still not bad. I'm guessing Bum's DK is around the same level as Will's (but I'm guessing Will's is better at this match up now XD) so <3 vid won't help that much imo.

When I fight DK I don't feel like needles can't really camp him. Its like trying to camp marth or MK. =/ His bair is just gay when he spaces right. Being in the air is almost guaranteed **** (maybe dair can help lol). Everything related to upB is gay. Recovering is a *****, but its not that bad. Just fair him if he gets to close, because its faster than his ****. Side upsmash doesn't ever kill him..... ever.... regardless of percent... I feel like vanish is mad good in this match up, especially if you predict some stupid up B stuff. I want to try pivot grabing him out of the end of his up B, I think it would work well. If he's off stage get out there before he upB's or hit him with needles if he does and you can probably get the gimp. Spacing aerials on his seems stupid, I'd just stay grounded and punish with dash attacks or dash grabs.

All that. ^ Is less of me giving you advice and more of me telling myself how to not get ***** like I did last night. XD Seriously though, where I used to play brawl they would just make fun of me and call me a bad player which I didn't mind.... here they diss sheik instead. A Zelda main was telling me sheik is trash.... wtf?! That **** get on my nerves. >.< I have to get good with her and make them eat their **** words! /end DK ***** me rant
I just have people tell me Sheik should be higher on the tier list cuz of how I do. lol idk if its honesty or them justifying their losses vs me with their top tiers :p

EDIT: The issue versus DK isn't control of the fight. It's the sensitivity of it. Losing control of the fight for an instance can result in a 3-4 hit combo if the DK reads you well enough and that's all it takes for him to KILL Sheik, whereas Sheik has to work her *** off. Theoretically Sheik can shut down a lot of what DK has, but that's where the human error kicks in and through manipulation and baiting a skilled player can get you into a situation of their favor, and when a DK does that Sheik is done.

I know ALL the theoretics vs DK, how the matchup works. It all comes down to how well I can be unpredictable and safe while also maintaining aggressive control of the pace.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
being unpredictable only maters if you have to be unsafe for some reason. if you can play safe the whole game; which you can against dk, you are set. If DK is facing you you ghave nothing to worry about. I think of it like this if you can do well against snake you should do well against DK.

I'm debating on going to this tourney tomorrow, technically I work but it's a 4 hour shift 10-2am and there are two other people there till 10-close. no real reason for me to be there. I'll try to remember to record but I rarely remember at tournys. I should post up my number so people can remind me to.... wait no no thats a horrible idea.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I really don't think Sheik vs DK is one of those matchups where you can win solely on playing safe.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
he is too slow to do anything. stand out of his ftilt range and wait. you can punish every thing he does from there. bair on sheild is a free nair every time. you're ftilt is faster than any of his grounds so you can use it without fear of being grabbed or punished. sh fair nair and bair all work on his sheild because his grab range and OOS options don't let him do anything about them.

the only time you should feel unsafe in the match is if you are high in the air and he is on the ground below you. thats when his aerials are scary and hard to predict and deal with.with DK's sheild he can't just sit there and wait for you to make mistakes with his bad spot dodge he can't just do it, even if he dodges ftilts or aerials he can't respond with damage.

Killing can be hard, I guess thats when risks come in. jabs help with that a lot but still.

And the fact that he kills us so much lower and can get big damage off of a few hits means you can't make big mistakes. but there is definitely room for error with him because of his lack luster speed.

Top Bottom