• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yes Espy. I'm too slow. lol jk, but I use to have a lot of fun with it but now people are just playing far too gay and it's not cool lol.
Such is the nature of those who play to win. It's gay, it's lame, and a little sad, but too bad.

If you're no longer having fun going about this the way you've been, then changing to a better character who can handle the gay-play style would obviously be the best choice.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Wow I'm late.

Now I know why TwinkleToes is my favorite user on this board. Utah got absolutely destroyed, lmfao. Toes hit the trolls in the heart, the trolls...copied and pasted url images and called for backup/buttbuddies. gg

And yes, to back up what people said..

WOW@MODS BLAMING SONIC BOARDS

Like I said, I'm too slow, but to reiterate how does Utah trolling our thread and meat riding eachother become our fault? Toes was the only legit Sonic boarder posting/winning in this thread. Don't blame us. Great job. I have a feeling you didn't even look at the usernames and just figured "gah sonic boards" as if this was a year ago.

Best part is we have nothing against X and said he has a great Sonic. Good times, remember that?

As much as this angers me, I will let it drop for the sake of it being in the past, everyone being banned, and the boards moving on...because the Sonic Boards are far more mature than given credit for and I can't believe mods still have this old image of us.

If you're no longer having fun going about this the way you've been, then changing to a better character who can handle the gay-play style would obviously be the best choice.
Sad but true.

At that point though I would just drop Brawl tbh. I only have fun and actually am legit with Sonic and some other low tiers, so that doesn't really help me, lol. All of the high tiers are boring to me. idk why >_>

:093:

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Hi Sonic boards.

4 corners/WC is a really strong region. People don't realize it because according to people who spend their time browsing the boards instead of playing the game, having lots of posts with your name in them (read: having your **** ridden) = skill, and minus that e__X__stravaganza back there, we engage in less dickriding than pretty much anybody else.

Camalange, you just declared TwinkleToes to have "won" an internet flame war. Obviously you aren't as mature as you think you are.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Hi Sonic boards.

4 corners/WC is a really strong region. People don't realize it because according to people who spend their time browsing the boards instead of playing the game, having lots of posts with your name in them (read: having your **** ridden) = skill
Just in case you didn't know already...

Synchronize (Teh Umby) and I are both power ranked in our respective states. I am ranked 7th in PA, he is ranked 9th in GA. We are more than just people who lurk the board.

Puffball64 aka Espy, being the best out of all of us here, took 15th on the Texas power rankings, using only Sonic, competing against players like D0jo, UltimateR4zer, UTDZ4c, Phant0mX, Hyl1an, and more...who are all very high leveled players in a very strong region (names edited to avoid name dropping).

We play the game and do well. We share our information, opinions, and views on these boards.

I'd also like to point out that WE NEVER DOUBTED HIS SKILL. He wouldn't be ranked 3rd in his state for nothing. We recognize him as a great Sonic player, but believe that in order for X to truley prove himself as the best or one of the best, he would have to do more OoS traveling in order to keep a consistent placing and prove himself against more well known top players. I haven't heard anything about him and deemed him inactive until just that recent placing, which is very impressive.

However, I guess our doubt in X being the greatest led to about 5 pages of Utah players leaking their way into our thread overusing popular memes.

Camalange, you just declared TwinkleToes to have "won" an internet flame war. Obviously you aren't as mature as you think you are.
He got everyone who was against him banned, so he took them down with him. I consider that a great feat. In Anglo-Saxon times, their beliefs focused on a strong king who could win battles and give the spoils of war to his people. The internet is just as barbaric as those times, and in these times, we need a king. Toes is a pretty cool guy. Eh wins threads and doesn't afraid of anything.

Yes, I am currently reading Beowulf. I'm pumped.

Also, just because I choose to use internet terms on the internet...makes me immature? Rock on. Having a little fun and lenience on a web forum about a video game is possible I'd imagine.

and minus that e__X__stravaganza back there, we engage in less dickriding than pretty much anybody else.
Minus that, eh? Well, I could tell they were inexperienced from how badly it was executed...so I'll take your word for it.

I bring up valid points in a calm manner without posting the same "you mad?" image numerous times. Something the group of people you are trying to defend, cannot do.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
shugo, sonic is bad we know this, so just do what is fun for you.

this was my progression to my switch:

I could have switched to MK earlier, but I kept playing sonic because at those points I still believed that it wasnt sonic that was holding me back, it was my skill. Sonic makes it harder, yes, but I still had more of a progression to make, as a player. so i stayed sonic.

Recently i got to the point where I believe that Sonic was infact the only thingkeeping me from improving. at which point I played mk, and proceeded to bbeat pikapika and cura in tournament. Ive never played a legit IC player in tourney before, and he ***** my DDD, and my sonic was a very close match, but I still lost to him in winners. and neil, I havent beaten in tourney in a year, and even then, that was with lucario.

And i beat them both with MK. everythings just easier. and gaying people effortlessly, like he loves to do, is fun as hell.

do what makes you happy, if playing sonic and working hard for wins does it, than do that. but if winning with a top tier makes you happy, do that too.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Actually, Camalange, I nailed 12th place for a season before dropping back to 15th due to inactivity over the span of two months.
lol

And pretty much what Camalange said. All of it. Perhaps the 4 corners should travel more. I honestly hear NOTHING about them. Ever.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i remember talking to DRyu, and he told me that the mexican brigade (X, DRyu, Dai-A and a couple others) were supposed to travel to madd tourneys this summer on the WC, what happened to that?

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Can't speak for the other 4 corners, but NM is looking to get a crew to go to No Koast as well as Pound 4. After that, we're hosting a huge multi-game tourney in February. Hopefully good games and times will be had by all.

Camalange, having a little fun an an internet forum is apparently not possible. Half of Utah got banned for it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Camalange, having a little fun an an internet forum is apparently not possible. Half of Utah got banned for it.
Having fun and being moronic idiots aren't synonymous.

Anyways, I wish them the best of luck in their next tournaments.

GoldenGlove

Smash Ace
Having fun and being moronic idiots aren't synonymous.
True. But then, as long as internet anonymity exists, hive-minded pointlessness is all online interaction can amount to. Even people who bother to formulate coherent sentences wind up talking in circles and assuming the role of some hugely inflated online persona. Utah realized this while TwinkleToes did not.

If it were up to me, the internet would be just as accountable as real-life interaction. Your username is your real name, your avatar is a picture of yourself, etc. But since we're not at that point, trolling those who can't separate the internet and reality is easy and fun. If/when you guys meet Utah IRL, I'm sure none of the perceived malice or immaturity will carry over.

The moral of the story is that X is amazing despite whatever arbitrary Sonic Board litmus tests he may or may not have passed.

Anyways, I'll let you folks have your thread back now. Hope to Brawl with you some day.

*plague*

Smash Rookie
Yes Camalange, I agree. Twinkle's racist remarks should be commended! he pretty much won that flame war!

Honestly how you could defend a person who said something like that? shows how ignorant you are.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Yes Camalange, I agree. Twinkle's racist remarks should be commended! he pretty much won that flame war!

Honestly how you could defend a person who said something like that? shows how ignorant you are.
I hope you're not trying to defend the group that acted no better. I really, really hope you're not doing that.

And take this to PMs or something. Another off topic post like this, and I'm reporting for spam. I'm not joking anymore.

Umby

Smash Master

Apparently you don't understand the meaning of the word, "ignorant."

You are ignorant of the word ignorant.

Hopefully you can tell what a context clue means.

Furthermore, Cam never stated that TwinkleToes's remarks themselves were commendable. He pointed out the feat of getting multiple users banned along with him was commendable.

*plague*

Smash Rookie
I hope you're not trying to defend the group that acted no better. I really, really hope you're not doing that.

And take this to PMs or something. Another off topic post like this, and I'm reporting for spam. I'm not joking anymore.
How about you take this to PM's if you wish to respond to me? fair enough? Because, in essence, this post you just made was spam if you want to get all technical with it.

Apparently you don't understand the meaning of the word, "ignorant."

You are ignorant of the word ignorant.

Hopefully you can tell what a context clue means.

Furthermore, Cam never stated that TwinkleToes's remarks themselves were commendable. He pointed out the feat of getting multiple users banned along with him was commendable.
I have a complete awareness of the word ignorant. It is something that Twinkletoes blatantly is.

Furthermore, getting multiple users banned by inciting responses by flaming and stating racist and "gay" insults is commendable? I honestly question whether some of you just don't get the fact that racist stuff is just........racist. I wouldn't even want to associate myself with someone saying racist things.

On another note, whatever happened to Mr. 3000? Last year he's winning Hobos and then he just completely falls off the map? Did he go inactive?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I wouldn't even want to associate myself with someone saying racist things.

www.facebook.com/KIDGoggles
thats me

that being said, I hate *****s, they dont work enough, and they run from the responsibility of fatherhood, i greatly dislike *****s.

at this point, you have 2 choices, you can:
1. Leave the thread in fear of somebody supposedly saying racist things.
2. Continue to argue with people who dont wish to argue, about the context of racism.
On another note, whatever happened to Mr. 3000? Last year he's winning Hobos and then he just completely falls off the map? Did he go inactive?

he kept playing sonic, and people got better. and than he started playing ddd too, and than people kept getting better.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
If anyone mentions the Twinkle thing again after this post I will close this thread for a week.

Enough. Drop it.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
If anyone mentions the Twinkle thing again after this post I will close this thread for a week.

Enough. Drop it.
Many thanks for that.

===

KID, who exactly was going to attend Pound 4? What other big tournaments are coming up, and who exactly are heading to those?

I'd gladly take the suggestion and run with it, no problem, but what would dictate whether or not to put a planned tournament at the top of the thread? Number of attendees, hype, large number of Sonic mains going?

Either way, I'll probably add this idea after this weekend.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Pretty much we put up any tourneys that a sonic plans on going to/placing in.

Like when somebody comes in going, oh i have a tourney this weekend, instead of just saying, oh gl, we put it up on the front.

Also, I think we should take notable sonic placings in the first post and make them a differnt color or something

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Back to updating results and whatnot:

ITT got 4th somewhere!? get in here with those deetz yo!
X got 3rd out of 51 at our regional yesterday.
Kept You Waitin, Huh?- SC Brawl tourney
Out of 14
3rd- JMan (Sonic)

Link is up somewhere... but this stupid library computer doesnt allow right clicking, so no copypasta for me...
I need clarification on these three supposed results. A link to a thread, the date of the tournament, or something, before I can really post them up.

Also, the thread will be updated in the next few minutes. I'll be adding the upcoming tournaments that Sonic mains will be attending, but I'm going to need you Sonic mainers to cooperate with me.

Simply state what tournaments are going on that you are going to attend, and I'll slap it up, of course.

Also, I think we should take notable sonic placings in the first post and make them a differnt color or something
This also sounds like a pretty good idea. What would be your idea of notable placings? Top 10%/25% sounds fair to me. Need a bit of feedback though.

Oh, and what KID's doing is a good example of giving feedback and suggestions to further progress the thread. I'd like more suggestions and whatnot from the rest of you, if you have any.

EDIT: UPDATED THE THREAD. WE NEED A BETTER NAME. NOW.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Just a quick thanks to KID, Espy, and Synch for pretty much saying everything I wanted to in response to the posts aimed toward me. This is the last remark I will make concerning to the previous pages.

Notable placings (for a Sonic main) would be taking top 3 at a 30-50 man tournament (or if they win money. Some tournaments that get around 40-60 give out money to 4th/5th so put that into consideration) or placing top 20 in a regional/nation tournament imo.

No idea for a new name either...lol

Trent

Smash Champion
Maybe make it if you win money, it's notable?

Also for a new name, maybe it should involve getting 50000 points for an extra life from the old school Sonic games? You know, like a high score or something. Just a thought.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I agree with trents first sentance.

Name
(Progressing) Too Fast, for the naked eyeee. Sonic Results Thread.

If you say it in tune with the song, it fits perfectly

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm fine with money spots getting highlighted, but at the same time, I don't think we'll be seeing much of those, if any, ever from this point onward.

What if instead, getting Top Nth at a tournament gets highlighted?

Or something like this:

*8-16 entrants: Top 3
*17-32 entrants: Top 5
*33-64 entrants: Top 8
*64-nth entrants: Top 10
Would that work with everyone?

I feel it'd be easier just for the sake of ridding the step of finding money slots. Especially considering that many of the threads linked in many of the tournaments no longer work because of a small error in copying the information.

PS: A possible name:

Zone Clear: Sonic Tournament Thread???

===

One more thing. If you are going to be taking part in a tournament soon, please inform me so I can update the main post. Provide a link to the tournament thread, if possible.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
I'm just gonna say this guys:

pick who you want, and if you need a better character to win. go for it, whether it meta or whatever. But be advised, and I'm gonna be very strict when i say this: Sonic's meta isn't capped yet, and there is NO ONE IN THE SONIC BOARDS that has fully mastered the character IMO.

For example, if we were to look at Sonic's DDP, and say that maybe 9 of us can "do" it, but at the same time know that either we do it sparingly, or dont do it at all in real matches. Ideally, a Sonic that can do DDP constantly in combination with pivot based moves would have a complete ground game, but clearly this isn't the case YET.

Please look more carefully at what you can do and what you've seen do before you say things like that. give up the character if you will, but dont say its because he's a bad character unless youve reached his maximum potential. if he was so bad we wouldn't be talking about Steak+8.

That is all.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm just gonna say this guys:

pick who you want, and if you need a better character to win. go for it, whether it meta or whatever. But be advised, and I'm gonna be very strict when i say this: Sonic's meta isn't capped yet, and there is NO ONE IN THE SONIC BOARDS that has fully mastered the character IMO.

For example, if we were to look at Sonic's DDP, and say that maybe 9 of us can "do" it, but at the same time know that either we do it sparingly, or dont do it at all in real matches. Ideally, a Sonic that can do DDP constantly in combination with pivot based moves would have a complete ground game, but clearly this isn't the case YET.

Please look more carefully at what you can do and what you've seen do before you say things like that. give up the character if you will, but dont say its because he's a bad character unless youve reached his maximum potential. if he was so bad we wouldn't be talking about Steak+8.

That is all.
He was only that bad through ignorance. Now his capabilities are slightly over exaggerated.
Of course no has mastered a character, but at the same time, I don't see why: It's obvious that Sonic's a poor choice for tournaments.

That, and no one will ever be able to utilize Sonic to his fullest potential, and asking that we even try to reach that point is just silly.

There's nothing left to do but throw around small subtle differences in play style, and to learn match ups through experience.

At least, that's how I feel about the whole thing. I could easily be wrong, but I honestly don't see Sonic making any significance jumps at all from this point onward.

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
i knew someone will say that...
you, pika pika are lame for trying to get this thread locked....

espy, i dont see any fault in thinking like that. honestly. but people not knowing the matchup for as long as the game came out for sonic, and i mean good players-- that is honestly is a lie in some form. so i know that there is some room to grow left. but, in a way, either because people dont wanna work hard on certain parts of sonics game, or becaues its that darn hard, Sonic's game is capping, or as i'd like to see it , slowing down.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

Good God, what a raid I didn't get to laugh at because of schoolwork.

Anyway, I'm not here to inspite anything, I'm just saying don't refer to anything associated with Z. That video Umby/Synchro linked wasn't meant to show off his skills, it was meant to be recorded and uploaded for improvement purposes on my part. I don't give a @#$% who is who and where they are from anymore, I just want to see if I can get better.

Oh, and here's the fun part. I'm going to go to one more local Vegas tourney here. The weeklies were moved to Sundays, so school won't be a john for me anymore.

What's special about the tourney you may ask? Well, I'd figure I should see that even with the obvious lack of attendance (active gamers), should I be able to get anywhere? Of course with lonesome Sonic, because I suck too GD much at this game to even use MK correctly. I only have a hard road ahead of me, or I quit.

If I can't even do some collateral damage at this tourney, then I'd rather disappear from the community forever (yet still keep in touch with some people if I prove to be beneficial to them I guess) than hang myself in shame and join the bandwagon of mediocre/below average MKs. I love Sonic way too much to even bring myself to CP, it hurts too much on the upper left part of your chest (...) and I don't even get the results I would expect that way, so I might as well stick with what I have so I can have some counterweight to work with. Such a shame that as much as I want to improve (either on Sonic or elsewhere), I can't do that so I'll have to be where I am forever or move on and find something I'm decent at (if anything else).

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You only lose because you don't practice IRL enough. Maybe we should set aside a day for us to practice together next week so we can improve. =D
My house is always open on Saturdays, since I have no schoolwork and blah blah blah.

Hell, I could even come over if you're available on Saturdays.

Just hit me up, I'm up for practice.

Top Bottom