• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Sub-Reddit Smash poll shows interesting results for the Smash Ballot.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
Aww man it would be tough between Meowth and Dragonite, but to be honest should either be able to get in over a lot of the other candidates?

But if I had to pick between those two it would probably be Dragonite, as it has higher profile usage in the games (being the signature pokemon of Champion Lance and used by other high level trainers). Meowth just wouldn't be the same for me unless it was TR Meowth, who is in the realm of the anime almost exclusively.

I also don't understand why some folks think Assist Trophies have no shot at being playable.... They are that way because Sakurai thought them high profile enough to give the characters a role than just being trophies, remember? Of the ATs, the ones I think could be realistically considered would be Saki, Shadow, Waluigi, Jeff (as a Snake replacement), and Skull Kid. Of course none of these will probably win out anyway, but I'd think if they got enough votes for say Shadow they'd at least consider it.

And Shovel Knight, I'm sorry to offend anyone but I just don't see any possibility for him. If a third party is getting selected, it's going to need a ton of fame and history imo- look at the precedents, Snake is the youngest and that's saying something. If a third party gets in, remember that it'll need to be really popular with durable appeal. Banjo-Kazooie fits that criteria, as does Geno, as does a Squenix rep like Black Mage, or another Namco rep like Yoshimitsu, or Bomberman, or Snake again, or Rayman. Even Shantae doesn't quite have enough I don't think, unless Sakurai would choose one of these chars on game potential alone. I just don't think that if a third party would get in over deserving Nintendo reps that Sakurai would take that decision lightly or without sone pretty strong criteria for the third party character.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I never played as him in brawl but he was deadly and had a great moveset and was a powerhouse which are characters that are my favirote

Want him back more than Sonic and Pacman....
I like all the third parties so far, they are all big icons in gaming. But Snake stuck out most to me. Which got me into playing Metal Gear.

Snake fans are somewhat silent as a good portion of the Smash community dislikes him (The only legit good reason against him is MGSV is not on WiiU)

I personally love Snake, he is my second favorite Smash character.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I hope third parties don't make it for consideration, as awesome as some of them may be. There are some that are iffy/ debatable/ controversal and I would just like those possibilities left out.

Would be nice to see those Brawl guys like Wolf and Ice Climbers return.

Plus those first/ second party big players like King K. Rool, Ridley, and Isaac.

Heck theres even mid-card first party characters I wouldn't mind like Impa, Krystal, Ray MK, etc.

P.S. I sincerely doubt Bayonetta's chances since Thaja from Fire Emblem had her trophy removed.

P.P.S. Can't stand band wagon characters, they just become so pretentious and annyoing, I just roll my eyes.
Yeah, 'course that's getting removed.

Brocolli123

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4897-6887-1972
I'm extremely satisfied with the top 15 on this list except Bayonetta *holds up flame shield*, because she's a little too sexual for Smash. So if we get the top 15 except her and "Other", then that'll be a 65 character roster, and I'll still want more. :p
Um no, have you seen zero samus

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
*OFF TOPIC I KNOW*
How is codename steam, I played the demo and I found the aliens took too long for their turn.

Back on topic,
I voted for
Ice Climbers
Snake
Wolf
Young Link
Chrom
and (Jokingly) Shrek
Yeah about that enemy turn part, there will be an upcoming patch for the game that speeds it up. If anything, that part of the Direct makes me wonder if Nintendo is trying to push the sales of Codenane S.T.E.A.M. this year.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Um no, have you seen zero samus
There is a big difference between ZSS wearing somewhat skimpier sports clothes and a catsuit, which really are the only aspects of her that could be considered inappropriate, and Bayonetta, who is suggestive in both appearance and behaviour, all the bloody time.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
There is a big difference between ZSS wearing somewhat skimpier sports clothes and a catsuit, which really are the only aspects of her that could be considered inappropriate, and Bayonetta, who is suggestive in both appearance and behaviour, all the bloody time.
Wouldn't say appearance ( except some unlock able costumes that would not make it to smash anyway), and definitely only sometimes in behavior.

edit: woah. That's huge. putting into quote.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Sakurai looks at the poll to decide who joins the battle, and in the next trailer...

"Other joins the battle!" I cant wait to main Other!

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Wouldn't say appearance ( except some unlock able costumes that would not make it to smash anyway), and definitely only sometimes in behavior.

edit: woah. That's huge. putting into quote.
I'll admit that "all the time" was a hyperbole, but the point is that she's still way more suggestive than ZSS.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I'll admit that "all the time" was a hyperbole, but the point is that she's still way more suggestive than ZSS.
The exaggerated and zoomed in few cutscenes in Bayo games would not need to and should not be in smash. There's nothing wrong with her standard clothing and she is fine if

Besides, suggestive taunts are in Smash anyway thanks to Palutena.
So something like the kiss would be totally fine. (Peach has a lot of hearts too.)
And they could be even more simple.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
...She loses clothing as she attacks
...Suggestive and uses innuendos
...is third party
...has 2 games

Lol...

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
...She loses clothing as she attacks
...Suggestive and uses innuendos
...is third party
...has 2 games

Lol...
Mind you, I'm not actually saying she doesn't have a chance. Yes, she does all kinds of silly things that tend to make parents very upset, but they don't have to be featured in Smash. Having only 2 games means jack all because Shulk made it in too. IMO it's mostly the 3rd party status that'd make it more difficult for her to get in Smash. That, and one of the designers or whatever flipping his $#@! about the SSB spam on his twitter.

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
1.5% voted for Abraham Lincoln

I detect a high rate of trolls in this poll.
Lincoln supporter here.
It's legit. You should try STEAM. It's pretty great, and Lincoln is the most important character in it. It also helps that the games JP subtitle in Lincoln vs Aliens.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Just to settle this with snarky retorts:
How delightfully arbitrary.
It's Sakurai vision that matters, of course, and not mine. And I can't change that. But that doesn't mean he is entirely right, or that we are entirely wrong. He thinks that size matters in representation, that it making him suitably frightening (while simultaneously making the upper part of his beak hinge in a that was not intended in the source material and certainly puts a damper on the frightfulness of the entire thing). Sure. I on the other hand think that BaganSmashBros did a fairly good job of recreating Ridley and making him frightening, not through his stature, but through his sheer bloody brutality.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
K. Rool, in all reality, is in second place, considering "Other" just means characters that are not even on the poll.

NINSDRAGON

Smash Rookie
I think that NINTENDO is already working on one of the characters that people voted, they wouldn't waste time

D

Deleted member

I'ma be honest; I don't much care for King K. Rool. *breaks fire shield box* Well anyway, in terms of characters I would like, I would love to see Sash Lilac from Freedom Planet. There's, like, no chance of her getting in, but I can hope. Knuckles would be nice too. Past that? Shantae. So, yeah, few characters I want. But hey, any new characters are good characters by me. Not to mention how I really would like it if, for villans, Eggman made it in. I thought that he couldn't really fight due to not being able to be in his Eggmobile, but after Bowser Jr... Well, the hope is there.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think that NINTENDO is already working on one of the characters that people voted, they wouldn't waste time
That..........is what my biggest fear is right now.

I am hoping they chose a Veteran other than Lucas (probably Wolf) , instead of a newcomer. Not just yet, at least.

D

Deleted member

That..........is what my biggest fear is right now.

I am hoping they chose a Veteran other than Lucas (probably Wolf) , instead of a newcomer. Not just yet, at least.
Well... They do have five open slots on the official Smash website where the characters are. Assuming one is reserved for Lucas...that's four characters they already have planned.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I'm honestly surprised people are already saying Splatoon, but let's be honest, if he does add an Inkling, it won't be for a while as the game hasn't even come out yet.
We have the Wooly World Stage for a game that's coming out roughly a year after Smash 4.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Well they're probably working on Wolf right now.

I suppose he is a character from the ballot but they were probably always intending to add him.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Oh, c'mon... Sora's so low in the charts... At least I got to know this early on.
Is Sora partially owned by Disney? I was never sure. If others aren't, perhaps this contributed to the low score.

Dealing with one 3rd party company to get a character in Smash is tough, dealing with two, especially Disney who are notoriously protective of their properties is, I imagine at least, a whole other level of difficulty.

Top Bottom