• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Sub-Reddit Smash poll shows interesting results for the Smash Ballot.

Double0Groove

Smash Ace
Is Sora partially owned by Disney? I was never sure. If others aren't, perhaps this contributed to the low score.

Dealing with one 3rd party company to get a character in Smash is tough, dealing with two, especially Disney who are notoriously protective of their properties is, I imagine at least, a whole other level of difficulty.
There are several signs that point to it being the case. Either way, Nintendo is also notorious for keeping their IPs close to the vest, and Disney still managed to get Bowser into Wreck it Ralph. Also, lets not forget that Sora isn't even one Disney's biggest IPs so that hurdle won't be as difficult as people are making it out to be.

Last edited:

Aegislash

Smash Rookie
Can someone please explain the love for Isaac? I loved Snake in Brawl and played and voted Shovel Knight, and K Rool is questionable but understandable. But this Isaac guy has a metric assload of campaigns for SSB4, and I only know him as the golden palm guy from Brawl. I like Shovel Knight cause his design, the unorthodox way of playing similar to Lucario in Brawl, and that an INDIE GAME is winning without any major campaigning. So someone persuade me, why Isaac?

Kirbizard

Smash Cadet
Can someone please explain the love for Isaac? I loved Snake in Brawl and played and voted Shovel Knight, and K Rool is questionable but understandable. But this Isaac guy has a metric assload of campaigns for SSB4, and I only know him as the golden palm guy from Brawl. I like Shovel Knight cause his design, the unorthodox way of playing similar to Lucario in Brawl, and that an INDIE GAME is winning without any major campaigning. So someone persuade me, why Isaac?
Being the debatable hero of one of the best RPG series of the GBA era gets you a lot of recognition and fans. The Golden Sun games are absolute gems of their time and is oddly missing any representation in Smash 4 despite being Nintendo-published and having a large fanbase.

You can read up on him in his support thread. It goes into far more depth on why he's a deserving character. http://smashboards.com/threads/isaa...-isaac-on-smashbros-com-isaacforsmash.324274/

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No major campaigning... other than his creators tweeting multiple times to vote for him and retweeting other people who were talking about voting for him. And getting Smashified.

As for Isaac he's basically an earth-based mage warrior from a beloved yet underrated series which in the past has proven to be just as popular and successful as several series that already have playable representation, yet Isaac has been passed over twice now. He'd be completely unique and without exaggeration probably has the highest moveset potential out of any of the candidates, with hundreds of possible attacks to choose from. His series also has some great locations and music which could transfer beautifully into Smash.

If you're a fan of RPGs, I suggest you pick up Golden Sun and see for yourself, it's definitely a classic.

Not to mention with the fate of his series up in the air, this might be the last chance to get him in. And if he did get in, his series could finally have an assured future, something it truly deserves.

Plus he has a scarf, and scarves are totally in right now. :awesome:

cybersai

Smash Ace
If you never played the Golden Sun games its understandable why you wouldn't care for Isaac.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Same could be said for literally any series.
The difference is Golden Sun is pretty niche. His games came out over a decade ago. Also most Nintendo mascot characters appear in multiple games over nearly 30 years for some of them.

Isaac probably had a better chance of getting into Brawl when his last game was only 4 years old at that point, and there was a new game coming. I want Isaac too don't get me wrong, but I realize his chances depend entirely on Sakurai's whims.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The difference is Golden Sun is pretty niche. His games came out over a decade ago. Also most Nintendo mascot characters appear in multiple games over nearly 30 years for some of them.

Isaac probably had a better chance of getting into Brawl when his last game was only 4 years old at that point, and there was a new game coming. I want Isaac too don't get me wrong, but I realize his chances depend entirely on Sakurai's whims.
Not really. Doesn't matter how niche a series is, if you've never played it it's understandable why you might not care about its characters.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Isaac's last game was only 2 years old when Smash 4 was first shown at E3.

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Honestly seeing Shovel Knight place so high is really, really confounding since Shantae is better choice is nearly all categories, the Shantae series has been running since 2002, she's been almost exclusively on Nintendo platforms (Save for being on Steam) and the Shantae games are some of the best platformers around, and have consistently been good.

Shovel Knight is cool but the fact remains he's a one hit wonder who isn't as much a Nintendo character as his is his own thing, on top of all that I also feel like he's a fad character unless he gets a long running series or something (like shantae)

anyway I voted for Ice Climbers lol

Last edited:

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
Shovel knight? Lmao what kind of fad is this? Why would Sakurai add a small 3rd party character like shovel knight when there are bigger companies with more iconic characters like Square Enix, Konami, Ubisoft, etc.

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I support Shantae AND Wonder Red. So either way i win. :troll:

Shovel knight? Lmao what kind of fad is this? Why would Sakurai add a small 3rd party character like shovel knight when there are bigger companies with more iconic characters like Square Enix, Konami, Ubisoft, etc.
He really can't just "add a third Party character" to the game. Plus there's no telling if any of the big companies, sans the few that spoke out, would allow him to use one of their IP.

Shovel Knight happens to be an easy to acquire IP. Al bet only popular in the west.

Last edited:

Mr.Dorf 2U

Smash Rookie
NNID
xblazedbrony941
3DS FC
3497-2737-7791
Okay I made my account JUST to get involved in this thread.

First, no shovel knight ever. All my reasons have already been posted (Western only/Fad/Way better options/it's pretty lame IMO Although I do like his design.)

Second, guys, give up on ice climbers. I love those lil' guys too, but it's too much work for too little. You have to see that..

Third, anyone who said waluigi (that's right I'm not even going to use a capital for his name) on purpose, immediately self destruct. Like now.

Fourth, I'm not at all against all veterans returning. Young Link, Wolf, Roy (meh.) Even if ice climbers we're just Wii U, that'd be cool, but I don't see it happening.

Fifth, does anyone ACTUALLY WANT TO play as K Rool? I don't disagree at all that he could be a great character, but I damn sure wouldn't use him. What would his movement even be? I can see him being a bowser clone minus the fire, that's about as imaginative as I can be with him.

Sixth, Bayonetta? No. Too sexualized. I honestly think the same goes for Krystal. I wouldn't mind either of them but I think it's a valid point.

Seventh, I LOVE the support for this game in general on this forum. You guys rock even if I hate some of your opinions.

Seventh, I know it's improbable, but my vote went to Geno from everyone's favorite Mario RPG, Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars. I understand the whole nintendo-square thing, but dat moveset. So many attacks, a great ORIGINAL character (HE'S LEGIT A F#&KING STAR FOR GODS SAKE) , great story, cult classic game, veered off the typical mario game and even had a final fantasy hidden boss complete with music and BOWSER IS ON YOUR TEAM. It's 2015. Can we get Geno on this damn game yet or not, because my life literally hangs in the balance.

TL;DR = No to everyone except Geno because of reasons.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
Fifth, does anyone ACTUALLY WANT TO play as K Rool?
I sure as hell do.

I don't disagree at all that he could be a great character, but I damn sure wouldn't use him.
Suit yourself.

What would his movement even be? I can see him being a bowser clone minus the fire, that's about as imaginative as I can be with him.
Luckily, K. Rool's moveset, if he gets admitted in Smash Bros, would not depend at all on how imaginative you can personally be with him.

Mr.Dorf 2U

Smash Rookie
NNID
xblazedbrony941
3DS FC
3497-2737-7791
Warning Received
I sure as hell do.

Suit yourself.

Luckily, K. Rool's moveset, if he gets admitted in Smash Bros, would not depend at all on how imaginative you can personally be with him.
B =slash
B + up =upward slash
B + down =downward slash
B+ side...Do I even need to?

I do support wonder red and shantae, but not more than Geno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
B =slash
B + up =upward slash
B + down =downward slash
B+ side...Do I even need to?
You should probably play Donkey Kong games.

I have never once seen him use his claws in the Donkey Kong games.

Mr.Dorf 2U

Smash Rookie
NNID
xblazedbrony941
3DS FC
3497-2737-7791
Warning Received
You should probably play Donkey Kong games.

I have never once seen him use his claws in the Donkey Kong games.
Well which game? The one where he runs at you back and fourth on a pirate ship or the one where you fight him in a helicopter and he shoots cannonballs and.. floating, spinning, rainbow globs of.. um..?? I'm sorry guys but I'm not convinced. He just doesn't do it for me. He just seems like a watered down more oafy/less evil version of bowser...the Internet Explorer of villains.

I've only ever beaten DKC 1 & 2. I've played other but not all the way through.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
I do support wonder red and shantae, but not more than Geno.
Sixth, Bayonetta? No. Too sexualized. I honestly think the same goes for Krystal. I wouldn't mind either of them but I think it's a valid point.
now... i support Shantae, but she's in around the same boat as Krystal as far as "sexualization" goes. heck krystal's actually about as covered up as ZSS in Star Fox assault.

you can't say one is sexualized cause of the way they're portrayed, yet say having a genie girl whose pants look like they're just barely covering her lady bits is okay.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well which game? The one where he runs at you back and fourth on a pirate ship or the one where you fight him in a helicopter and he shoots cannonballs and.. floating, spinning, rainbow globs of.. um..?? I'm sorry guys but I'm not convinced. He just doesn't do it for me. He just seems like a watered down more oafy/less evil version of bowser...the Internet Explorer of villains.

I've only ever beaten DKC 1 & 2. I've played other but not all the way through.
Please stop double posting.

Less evil than Bowser? K.Rool is psychopathic.

And all those things you claimed "boring" are things no one does yet.

It seems more like you don't want K.Rool than you seeing actual problems. I'd recommend doing more research at least or visiting the K.Rool.

Ask them to give you their best movesets.

Mr.Dorf 2U

Smash Rookie
NNID
xblazedbrony941
3DS FC
3497-2737-7791
now... i support Shantae, but she's in around the same boat as Krystal as far as "sexualization" goes. heck krystal's actually about as covered up as ZSS in Star Fox assault.

you can't say one is sexualized cause of the way they're portrayed, yet say having a genie girl whose pants look like they're just barely covering her lady bits is okay.
You know you honestly have a really good point about that. I guess I'm just more biased towards shantae, but I mean come on. She's pretty legit.

Mr.Dorf 2U

Smash Rookie
NNID
xblazedbrony941
3DS FC
3497-2737-7791
I'm sorry. Literally never never used a forum before and I just made account today. This will probably be a double post too. Plus I'm using my phone and the keys suck. And it's honestly more a real confusion rather than dismissal. I just don't see the appeal, you know. I guess not because you guys seem to like him, but I wouldn't really be interested in him. Now Geno on the other hand..

Zoljinx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zoljinx
3DS FC
5343-8245-7441
oh i'm fully aware, as i said, i support Shantae and love her games. i was just pointing out a contradiction cause it did seem pretty biased. really i could say that your posts so far are mostly on a biased side of things.

on another note though. is this poll still going on? and if so have the results changed any?

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I have Shovel Knight on my New 3DS. I get the hype but it's not really my thing.

Everyone on the list but him and Issac are good with me.

Top Bottom